FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
How effective is checkuser? -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> General Discussion? What's that all about?

This subforum is for general discussion of Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects. For a glossary of terms frequently used in such discussions, please refer to Wikipedia:Glossary. For a glossary of musical terms, see here. Other useful links:

Akahele.orgWikipedia-WatchWikitruthWP:ANWikiEN-L/Foundation-L (mailing lists) • Citizendium forums

> How effective is checkuser?
Ather

Group: Contributors

If I wanted to run several accounts how likely is checkuser to pick me up? If I changed my IP each time I logged on how would they trap me? How long to they log IP addresses for? Do they keep a permanent record of my account creation IP? Do they record me logging on but not editing? What other info do they store and for how long? All this info is needed purely for research purposes (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

Officially, The Wikipedia Review doesn't condone (nor does it condemn) the use of multiple accounts on Wikipedia, for any purpose. Moreover, I personally don't edit or otherwise participate directly at Wikipedia, under any account name. Nevertheless, I've collected a variety of useful tips over the years. Here are just a few:
  • Change your underwear between sessions, since this will give you that "fresh" feeling. Also, squeeze a lemon into your underwear occasionally, for added "freshness."
  • If you're going to use multiple proxies in order to have your accounts appear to reside in widely-dispersed locations, be sure to have a subcutaneous GPS tracking chip implanted in your arm, so that in case things get really confusing you can find yourself later.
  • Try to remember that the term "sock puppet" doesn't necessarily mean you should wear an actual sock over your head while you use the computer. If you forget this and place one over your head anyway, be sure the sock has a breathing hole, to avoid suffocation.
  • If you absolutely must create a "cast of characters" who are familiar to (and cooperate with) each other online, it's usually a good idea to make one of the characters a Neanderthal caveman from 100,000 years ago, since this might lead to your being included in a GEICO commercial. Also, small talking lizard characters are good for this.
  • Don't post a photograph of an attractive female on your Wikipedia user page and then say it's you, even if you're an attractive female, and even if the female actually is you. Or, if you do, use Photoshop to superimpose a cute puppy in front of the attractive female. This will serve as a warning message to potential CheckUsers: Don't mess with me, I have a dog.
  • Avoid having your alternate accounts use phrases like "top dollar," "rock bottom," or "hard cheese" on talk pages. Instead, use "expensive," "lousy," and "dry cheddar."
  • Before beginning your campaign, be sure to read everything on Template:Unpsychlopedia, at least twice. In particular, this article. If possible, "spam" these links to other websites as well, such as The Wikipedia Review.
  • Remember that your ability to "role-play" while online is influenced by easily-altered environmental factors, such as the genre of "now-playing" background music, available snack food/beverages, the color of sweater your dog is wearing, and the type of underwear you currently have on (see above). Also, while the human brain cannot comprehend the size of the world or its population in real terms, it's usually able to comprehend the amount of luncheon meat in your refrigerator, and can use that information for planning future sandwich-making activities. However, once the amount of luncheon meat exceeds roughly 300 lbs., it may be time to buy a second refrigerator.
  • Since it's important that your multiple accounts are seen as editing at different times of the day, it's a good idea to get up and manually adjust the hands of any clocks that might be nearby before starting an editing session.
  • Civility is important, but it's no substitute for a well-equipped, modern air force.
Needless to say, none of these tips should be used as the basis for any actual cash wager.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Ather   How effective is checkuser?  
anthony   If I wanted to run several accounts how likely is...  
Krimpet   I wouldn't count on any information you recei...  
Premier player   I wouldn't count on any information you recei...  
Peter Damian   If I wanted to run several accounts how likely is...  
dogbiscuit   I looked at some of this code and it is pretty im...  
Herschelkrustofsky   Keep in mind that checkuser is frequently used to ...  
White Knight   Keep in mind that checkuser is frequently used to...  
Kelly Martin   It's my understanding that checkuser now also ...  
dogbiscuit   It's my understanding that checkuser now also...  
Krimpet   It's my understanding that checkuser now also...  
gomi   ... since the technical know-how to read and inter...  
Krimpet   [quote name='Krimpet' post='212801' date='Thu 31s...  
anthony   For some reason Wikipedians get hyper-excited ab...  
Krimpet   I can understand why they got rid of the feature ...  
anthony   [quote name='anthony' post='212807' date='Thu 31s...  
Ather   By the way, what's your license plate number...  
CharlotteWebb   User-agent identification has been there for a pr...  
gomi   This site shows you in a readable way what your br...  
Peter Damian   The only open question is whether they retain th...  
anthony   [quote name='gomi' post='212793' date='Thu 31st D...  
MZMcBride   Really? Where's the database schema? I...  
anthony   Really? Where's the database schema? I...  
MBisanz   [quote name='MZMcBride' post='212818' date='Thu 3...  
Cock-up-over-conspiracy   There are Firefox add-ons for changing your browse...  
taiwopanfob   e) keep copies of data for far longer than 3 month...  
No one of consequence   e) keep copies of data for far longer than 3 mont...  
Cock-up-over-conspiracy   The retention limit is indeed philosophical rather...  
Limey   If I wanted to run several accounts how likely is...  
Jon Awbrey   The only thing you need to know about Checkuser is...  
MZMcBride   I wrote a guide to socking, but it was deleted fro...  
Ather   Hey guys, thanks for all the good advice. Some of ...  
Peter Damian   I always take the opportunity to create a new soc...  
Limey   Another quick thought - might a long lag time be...  
Lar   It's not very effective at all.  
Text   Poetlister, Mantanmoreland, and whoever else Th...  
MZMcBride   I received an e-mail from the Arbitration Committe...  
Krimpet   I received an e-mail from the Arbitration Committ...  
Lar   I received an e-mail from the Arbitration Committ...  
MZMcBride   [quote name='MZMcBride' post='212934' date='Fri 1...  
Lar   [quote name='MZMcBride' post='212934' date='Fri ...  
Kelly Martin   I received an e-mail from the Arbitration Committe...  
The Wales Hunter   I just wish Wikipedia would bit the bullet and a) ...  
Nerd   I just wish Wikipedia would bit the bullet and a)...  
LessHorrid vanU   If I wanted to run several accounts how likely is...  
Cock-up-over-conspiracy   If you want to run several accounts to show how cl...  
The Adversary   In certain contentious areas, banning/blocking edi...  
SB_Johnny   It's hard to overstate how silly these guessin...  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now: