FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Hadronic Matter -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> General Discussion? What's that all about?

This subforum is for general discussion of Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects. For a glossary of terms frequently used in such discussions, please refer to Wikipedia:Glossary. For a glossary of musical terms, see here. Other useful links:

Akahele.orgWikipedia-WatchWikitruthWP:ANWikiEN-L/Foundation-L (mailing lists) • Citizendium forums

> Hadronic Matter, Shocking good book from "Pedia Press" (all from WP)
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

Group: Regulars

http://tools.pediapress.com/book/Wikipedia...aafa9d/book.pdf

If you don't mind downloading 7 MB, you might take a look at Hadronic Matter (Oct., 2009), a book put together entirely from Wikipedia articles, with a bit of editing (not much). It's 370 pp., plus an exhaustive list of WP username references for every article that makes up a chapter. Not only am I myself listed many times, but reading the articles, my deathless prose graces large sections of many articles. Gosh.

Pedia Press is in Germany, and apparently they specialize in such books. I think I've heard of them before, but this is the first actual book I've had a chance to examine. HollyHoly shit.

You can say what you like about the wisdom of crowds, but this book is a detailed description of the fundamental particles of matter and the nucleus, and the basic force interactions, all shockingly broad in coverage. There are also short bios of famous particle physicists and a description of the Large Hadron Collider and other particle physics facilities. All in all, it's probably a much wider survey of basic particle physics than any group of persons could have put together (too damn much work!)

I'm just amazed by this thing. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/unsure.gif) The coverage is a bit uneven, as we go from explanations suitable to the general college science major, to math which only somebody with years of graduate quantum physics could begin to understand. However, large swatches are intelligable to anybody, and somebody in a physics grad program dealing with quantum physics will read a lot of broad introduction to things they might have missed along the way to a specialized education.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Jon Awbrey

τὰ δέ μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,619

We're all bosons on this bus …

Since I do not belong to the Some Of The Uses Justify All The Abuses (SOTUJATA) school of criticism, I have no further comment.

Jon (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/dry.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now: