FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Vanity of Article Writers -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> General Discussion? What's that all about?

This subforum is for general discussion of Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects. For a glossary of terms frequently used in such discussions, please refer to Wikipedia:Glossary. For a glossary of musical terms, see here. Other useful links:

Akahele.orgWikipedia-WatchWikitruthWP:ANWikiEN-L/Foundation-L (mailing lists) • Citizendium forums

> Vanity of Article Writers, ...a time to cast away stones
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

Group: Contributors
From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.
Member No.: 981

I have been struck lately by the growing smugness of "article writers." Those who avoid wonkery and administraton for the creaton or "improvement" of articles on Wikpedia. To hear them say you would thing they were creating some great works of literature. I got to tell you I don't see it. Even among our FA artistes. They use this activity much in the same way "vandal patrols" or policy wonks use the stuff they do for playing the game that is Wikipedia.

At best I'd say is "Well pretty good for a sand painting made in a sandbox surrounded by pre-schoolers flinging rocks and spraying down the place with pressure hoses...but come back tomorrow." Wikipedia articles, even FAs, are no great shakes. Certainly they don't justify the sense of self-entitlement these prima donnas pretend. Nor do they make up for the many levels or irresponsibilty directed at people outside the project that results from their work.

The only thing of any value in Wikipedia is it partially functions in the the same task Wikia Search fails at, collecting a list of manually generated sources (very imperfectly vetted) and indirectly returning them on the top of search request. You don't need article writers for this task at all.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Emperor

Postmaster

Group: Regulars

For a while I made it a game to pick apart the featured article of the day. It wasn't all that difficult to find glaring errors, if I already knew something about the subject. For topics where I had no prior knowledge, Wikipedia articles seemed perfectly plausible. On the other hand, Wikipedia is often better than the other crap on the internet.

As the owner of another website that lives on user-generated content, I can honestly say that I love article writers.
+Quote Post
Luís Henrique

Group: Contributors

QUOTE(Emperor @ Wed 11th March 2009, 1:46pm) *
For a while I made it a game to pick apart the featured article of the day. It wasn't all that difficult to find glaring errors, if I already knew something about the subject. For topics where I had no prior knowledge, Wikipedia articles seemed perfectly plausible.

But isn't this part of the problem?

When I read an article about, say, Thailand, or the proccess of refining iron ore, or emphysema, I wonder whether they actually make any sence, as it superficially seems, or if they are full of lies, pranks, urban legends, fantasies, like those about subjects I have some actual knowledge.

Luís Henrique
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(Luís Henrique @ Wed 11th March 2009, 3:10pm) *

When I read an article about, say, Thailand, or the proccess of refining iron ore, or emphysema, I wonder whether they actually make any sence, as it superficially seems, or if they are full of lies, pranks, urban legends, fantasies, like those about subjects I have some actual knowledge.

Luís Henrique

Sure, but you have that problem about most of what you learn in life, since you're hardly ever going to able to get your summaries directly from the greatest experts in the world, Charlie Rose style (how I envy that man his job).

In the real world, gaining most knowledge is sort of like learning a new word in your vocabulary. You hear it once, this perfectly cromulent word, but you've never heard it before. Still from the way it's used, you begin to have some idea of what it means. As it's used more and more, you realize that your ignorance does not mean it wasn't cromulent, it must means YOU hadn't encountered it. But now you're aware of it.

Studies show that when 3 year-olds are exposed to an articificial word, it only takes about 5 usages for them to hone in on its meaning pretty well, and that they do it rather like tracking an animal by scent. It doesn't start out perfect, but descends through the categories, until they nail it.

Again, in the real world, you don't get to find out about iron ore refining from the bored steelworker sitting next to you on some transoceanic flight on which he wants to talk. Instead, you sort of need to know, don't have access to the net, and so you ask the people around you: "Know anything about iron ore refining"? And you get back something like: "A little. I dunno how they get the dirt out, but I know they have to take the iron oxide, mix it with coke in big furnace, and heat the blazes out of it till the carbon takes out the oxygen and molten iron is left. Then they blow pure oxygen through to get rid of more carbon, to get steel." So you still have an incomplete picture, but you know more than you did. Later you find the thing is self-heating and is called a blast furnace. And you learn out they get the dirt out, and so on and so on. That's Wikipedia, too.

In some ways, as has been said by many people, one problem is that we expect too much of Wikipedia. If we could just fix the vandalism and defamation, we'd be left with sort of what you get from a very large roomful of decent, random people on any subject. And that's no small thing. It's bound to beat hell out of what you "know" just on your own.
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

τὰ δέ μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,619

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Wed 11th March 2009, 6:43pm) *

Luís Henrique

Sure, but you have that problem about most of what you learn in life, since you're hardly ever going to able to get your summaries directly from the greatest experts in the world, Charlie Rose style (how I envy that man his job).

In the real world, gaining most knowledge is sort of like learning a new word in your vocabulary. You hear it once, this perfectly cromulent word, but you've never heard it before. Still from the way it's used, you begin to have some idea of what it means. As it's used more and more, you realize that your ignorance does not mean it wasn't cromulent, it must means YOU hadn't encountered it. But now you're aware of it.

Studies show that when 3 year-olds are exposed to an articificial word, it only takes about 5 usages for them to hone in on its meaning pretty well, and that they do it rather like tracking an animal by scent. It doesn't start out perfect, but descends through the categories, until they nail it.

Again, in the real world, you don't get to find out about iron ore refining from the bored steelworker sitting next to you on some transoceanic flight on which he wants to talk. Instead, you sort of need to know, don't have access to the net, and so you ask the people around you: "Know anything about iron ore refining"? And you get back something like: "A little. I dunno how they get the dirt out, but I know they have to take the iron oxide, mix it with coke in big furnace, and heat the blazes out of it till the carbon takes out the oxygen and molten iron is left. Then they blow pure oxygen through to get rid of more carbon, to get steel." So you still have an incomplete picture, but you know more than you did. Later you find the thing is self-heating and is called a blast furnace. And you learn out they get the dirt out, and so on and so on. That's Wikipedia, too.

In some ways, as has been said by many people, one problem is that we expect too much of Wikipedia. If we could just fix the vandalism and defamation, we'd be left with sort of what you get from a very large roomful of decent, random people on any subject. And that's no small thing. It's bound to beat hell out of what you "know" just on your own.

Tagged for Web Searches under • Koolaid Kontact Kontagion •
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Wed 11th March 2009, 4:17pm) *

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Wed 11th March 2009, 6:43pm) *

Luís Henrique

Tagged for Web Searches under • Kontact Koolaid Kontagion •

Truth hurts, don't it, Jon? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

τὰ δέ μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,619

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Wed 11th March 2009, 7:30pm) *

The Truth is that All the GAGA articles in All the Wikiapedes do not make up for a single unjust banning, a single false death report, or a single violation of a bio subject's good name and privacy.

And there is no better of Proof of the debilitating effect of the Wikipediot Cult on people's ethics and intellects than the fact that you could write the casuistic drivel you wrote above.

And Dat's Da Truth.

Jon Awbrey
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Wed 11th March 2009, 5:06pm) *

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Wed 11th March 2009, 7:30pm) *

The Truth is that All the GAGA articles in All the Wikiapedes do not make up for a single unjust banning, a single false death report, or a single violation of a bio subject's good name and privacy.

And there is no better of Proof of the debilitating effect of the Wikipediot Cult on people's ethics and intellects than the fact that you could write the casuistic drivel you wrote above.

And Dat's Da Truth.

Jon Awbrey

Feynman always said "Give me a specific problem."

But actually, I'm full of BOTH wise saws and modern instances. And so I play my part.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
GlassBeadGame   Vanity of Article Writers  
Samuel Culper Sr.   Can't fully agree. Unless you think there is ...  
Malleus   For a while I made it a game to pick apart the fe...  
Cla68   There are a lot of terrible and mediocre articles ...  
Kato   The problem is that the FA and GA forums are over...  
Jon Awbrey   [quote name='Jon Awbrey' post='160848' date='Wed ...  
Luís Henrique   It's bound to beat hell out of what you ...  
Milton Roe   [quote name='Milton Roe' post='160825' date='Wed ...  
Emperor   When I read an article about, say, Thailand, or t...  
Luís Henrique   [quote name='Luís Henrique' post='160817' date...  
Peter Damian   I have been struck lately by the growing smugness...  
UseOnceAndDestroy   This point gets buried a lot in the noise of BLP a...  
EricBarbour   Want to help your kid find out why salt melts ice ...  
Eva Destruction   And nobody can even make up a vague statistic of ...  
EricBarbour   [quote name='EricBarbour' post='160821' date='Wed...  
Eva Destruction   That's very nice. Who devised these statistic...  
Sarcasticidealist   I'd agree that the overall quality of Wikipedi...  
Milton Roe   Wikipedia is most useful not when it's a subs...  
Jon Awbrey   [quote name='Sarcasticidealist' post='160778' dat...  
Skinny87   As an article writer, and an FA contributor, I do...  
UseOnceAndDestroy   I'd agree that wikipedia isn't the font o...  
Sarcasticidealist   It's a recurring wikipedian myth to position w...  
Somey   [quote name='UseOnceAndDestroy' post='160812' date...  
Cla68   The more interesting question, to me, is whether W...  
MBisanz   Someone who used to be involved with the WMF emai...  
Obesity   Give it a rest, GBG. FA writers are the last plac...  
Kato   People like you and others I won't mention se...  
Obesity   That could apply to almost anything. Even Fox New...  
GlassBeadGame   I assure you that most of the "best" wr...  
Obesity   Glad you found your own little piece of heaven on...  
Cla68   Doubtless, GBG had no intention for this thread to...  
EricBarbour   Doubtless, GBG had no intention for this thread t...  
GlassBeadGame   Give it a rest, GBG. FA [i]writers are the last ...  
Bottled_Spider   Must I drag out my favorite article once again as ...  
Jon Awbrey   And if only Hitler had been a 3rd rate painter ins...  
Luís Henrique   And if only Hitler had been a 3rd rate painter in...  
Bottled_Spider   [quote name='Jon Awbrey' post='160888' date='Thu 1...  
Jon Awbrey   If we had Wikipedia in the twenties of the XX Cen...  
Luís Henrique   Why do people keep buying the premiss that Wikiped...  
Jon Awbrey   [quote name='Jon Awbrey' post='160929' date='Thu ...  
Luís Henrique   Tagged for Web Searches under • Blinded By T...  
Moulton   Why do people keep buying the premiss that Wikiped...  
Jon Awbrey   [quote name='Jon Awbrey' post='160929' date='Thu ...  
Guido den Broeder   Why do people keep buying the premiss that Wikipe...  
GlassBeadGame   Here's a glorious FA, 4chan. It's not jus...  
Casliber   I hate the idea of splitting wikis..MBZ has a poin...  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)