FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Vanity of Article Writers -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> General Discussion? What's that all about?

This subforum is for general discussion of Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects. For a glossary of terms frequently used in such discussions, please refer to Wikipedia:Glossary. For a glossary of musical terms, see here. Other useful links:

Akahele.orgWikipedia-WatchWikitruthWP:ANWikiEN-L/Foundation-L (mailing lists) • Citizendium forums

> Vanity of Article Writers, ...a time to cast away stones
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

Group: Contributors
From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.
Member No.: 981

I have been struck lately by the growing smugness of "article writers." Those who avoid wonkery and administraton for the creaton or "improvement" of articles on Wikpedia. To hear them say you would thing they were creating some great works of literature. I got to tell you I don't see it. Even among our FA artistes. They use this activity much in the same way "vandal patrols" or policy wonks use the stuff they do for playing the game that is Wikipedia.

At best I'd say is "Well pretty good for a sand painting made in a sandbox surrounded by pre-schoolers flinging rocks and spraying down the place with pressure hoses...but come back tomorrow." Wikipedia articles, even FAs, are no great shakes. Certainly they don't justify the sense of self-entitlement these prima donnas pretend. Nor do they make up for the many levels or irresponsibilty directed at people outside the project that results from their work.

The only thing of any value in Wikipedia is it partially functions in the the same task Wikia Search fails at, collecting a list of manually generated sources (very imperfectly vetted) and indirectly returning them on the top of search request. You don't need article writers for this task at all.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Skinny87

Neophyte

Group: Contributors

As an article writer, and an FA contributor, I don't think I'm particularly vain; I like my articles and think they're quite good, but I'm not going to say they're brilliant. Far from it; my prose is probably average, for example.

I'd agree that wikipedia isn't the font of all human knowledge it's sometimes portrayed as being, but I'd also agree that it's better than nothing at all, and probably the best organized on the internet. My articles aren't comprehensive, even when they're at FA level, they're often lacking (non-vital) sources that I can't access or afford. But I'd like to think that they're as comprehensive as they can be, and that they give the reader a fairly detailed and neutral view of what occurred. Ultimately, they're a starting point - no one should be citing them in an essay or thinking they're the best source of knowledge for that particular topic. A good wiki article should be well-sourced to allow the reader to find those sources for themselves whilst they get at least a general understanding of the topic.
+Quote Post
UseOnceAndDestroy

Ãœber Member

Group: Moderators

QUOTE(Skinny87 @ Wed 11th March 2009, 8:41pm) *

I'd agree that wikipedia isn't the font of all human knowledge it's sometimes portrayed as being, but I'd also agree that it's better than nothing at all

It's a recurring wikipedian myth to position wikipedia and "nothing" as the only possibilities. Wikipedia is decidedly not better than a rich and diverse internet of independent sites and documents, created by people who actually understand the topics they're involved in.

The wikipedian project is to appropriate and re-mediate, losing definition and wedging content into its own shape on the way - for the benefit of someone other than the readers. Most "article writers" are doing grunt work that MFA sites can do with scripts.
+Quote Post
Sarcasticidealist

Head exploded.

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 4,536

QUOTE(UseOnceAndDestroy @ Wed 11th March 2009, 6:28pm) *
It's a recurring wikipedian myth to position wikipedia and "nothing" as the only possibilities. Wikipedia is decidedly not better than a rich and diverse internet of independent sites and documents, created by people who actually understand the topics they're involved in.
So why doesn't that network exist? Surely the people who actually understand what they're talking about aren't engaged in editing Wikipedia, so what's stopping them from setting up their own network? I've written three featured articles, all of which are, as featured articles go, of pretty middling quality. But each is the best free access online resource on the subject. That may not be true of all FAs, but it's true of a good many of them. Wikipedia has actually driven the creation of free access online information that, by all the evidence we have, would not otherwise exist in such a form.

Besides that, there is utility in Wikipedia's organization, which is actually among its stronger suits; the interconnectivity of Wikipedia articles provides utility to the reader that would not exist from your mostly hypothetical diverse network of sites and documents.
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Wed 11th March 2009, 4:43pm) *
QUOTE(UseOnceAndDestroy @ Wed 11th March 2009, 6:28pm) *
...Wikipedia is decidedly not better than a rich and diverse internet of independent sites and documents, created by people who actually understand the topics they're involved in.
So why doesn't that network exist? Surely the people who actually understand what they're talking about aren't engaged in editing Wikipedia, so what's stopping them from setting up their own network?

Cost, time, energy, liability issues, and all sorts of other concerns, one would assume. The World Wide Web, and to some extent the internet in general, wasn't set up or organized to maximize convenience and reliability in information aggregation. Technically, it was set up to ensure survivability of information in the event of a catastrophic event such as a nuclear war, but for most practical purposes that translates into a system that allows a large number of people to redundantly disseminate information to anyone and everyone with the technical means of accessing it. Things like security, bandwidth, search, and the accountability of site owners/operators were all afterthoughts.

It's obviously unrealistic to think that the internet can re-work itself in the short term, but until it does, people who run websites have to deal with ISP's of varying levels of competence, software of varying levels of reliability, and of course, hackers, phishers, identity thieves, spammers, scammers, "script kiddies," "trolls," and (occasionally) lawyers. This doesn't mean Mr. Destroy is wrong - a richer and more diverse internet would be a good thing, and Wikipedia is clearly preventing that diversity from growing by providing a cheap (and anonymous) alternative for people who only want to share a relatively small amount of information, don't feel any need to get paid for sharing it, and don't particularly care who else gets to mess with it after the fact... and, in so doing, handling some (but not all) of the various headaches that come with running a website.

The more interesting question, to me, is whether Wikipedia and its sister sites are doing the world a "net-positive" favor by providing that alternative. I'd say they probably would be, if they split the site into a fairly large number of smaller inter-linked ones with separate low-level administrations, operated under a more ethical standard of governance, each with reasonably accountable (and perhaps more identifiable) ownership - a consortium, essentially. As it is though, I'd have to say no.

Because of the Google factor and also the nature of domain ownership, Jimbo and the WMF will fight any decentralization or "official mass forking" effort tooth and nail, though they'll probably claim they're not fighting it the whole time they're doing just that. And I'd imagine there are all sorts of additional arguments against that kind of decentralization, not the least of which would be based on pure practicality, not to mention the intimidation factor that comes with being so large and well known... but if WP is ever going to go from discouraging web diversity to encouraging it, that's what has to happen.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
GlassBeadGame   Vanity of Article Writers  
Samuel Culper Sr.   Can't fully agree. Unless you think there is ...  
Emperor   For a while I made it a game to pick apart the fea...  
Malleus   For a while I made it a game to pick apart the fe...  
Luís Henrique   For a while I made it a game to pick apart the fea...  
Milton Roe   But isn't this part of the problem? When I r...  
Jon Awbrey   [quote name='Luís Henrique' post='160817' date...  
Milton Roe   [quote name='Luís Henrique' post='160817' dat...  
Jon Awbrey   Truth hurts, don't it, Jon? :P :P The Truth...  
Cla68   There are a lot of terrible and mediocre articles ...  
Kato   The problem is that the FA and GA forums are over...  
Milton Roe   [quote name='Milton Roe' post='160836' date='Wed ...  
Jon Awbrey   [quote name='Jon Awbrey' post='160848' date='Wed ...  
Luís Henrique   It's bound to beat hell out of what you ...  
Milton Roe   [quote name='Milton Roe' post='160825' date='Wed ...  
Emperor   When I read an article about, say, Thailand, or t...  
Luís Henrique   [quote name='Luís Henrique' post='160817' date...  
Peter Damian   I have been struck lately by the growing smugness...  
UseOnceAndDestroy   This point gets buried a lot in the noise of BLP a...  
EricBarbour   Want to help your kid find out why salt melts ice ...  
Eva Destruction   And nobody can even make up a vague statistic of ...  
EricBarbour   [quote name='EricBarbour' post='160821' date='Wed...  
Eva Destruction   That's very nice. Who devised these statistic...  
Sarcasticidealist   I'd agree that the overall quality of Wikipedi...  
Milton Roe   Wikipedia is most useful not when it's a subs...  
Jon Awbrey   [quote name='Sarcasticidealist' post='160778' dat...  
Cla68   The more interesting question, to me, is whether W...  
MBisanz   Someone who used to be involved with the WMF emai...  
Obesity   Give it a rest, GBG. FA writers are the last plac...  
Kato   People like you and others I won't mention se...  
Obesity   That could apply to almost anything. Even Fox New...  
GlassBeadGame   I assure you that most of the "best" wr...  
Obesity   Glad you found your own little piece of heaven on...  
Cla68   Doubtless, GBG had no intention for this thread to...  
EricBarbour   Doubtless, GBG had no intention for this thread t...  
GlassBeadGame   Give it a rest, GBG. FA [i]writers are the last ...  
Bottled_Spider   Must I drag out my favorite article once again as ...  
Jon Awbrey   And if only Hitler had been a 3rd rate painter ins...  
Luís Henrique   And if only Hitler had been a 3rd rate painter in...  
Bottled_Spider   [quote name='Jon Awbrey' post='160888' date='Thu 1...  
Jon Awbrey   If we had Wikipedia in the twenties of the XX Cen...  
Luís Henrique   Why do people keep buying the premiss that Wikiped...  
Jon Awbrey   [quote name='Jon Awbrey' post='160929' date='Thu ...  
Luís Henrique   Tagged for Web Searches under • Blinded By T...  
Moulton   Why do people keep buying the premiss that Wikiped...  
Jon Awbrey   [quote name='Jon Awbrey' post='160929' date='Thu ...  
Guido den Broeder   Why do people keep buying the premiss that Wikipe...  
GlassBeadGame   Here's a glorious FA, 4chan. It's not jus...  
Casliber   I hate the idea of splitting wikis..MBZ has a poin...  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)