FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Wikimedia Stewards -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wikimedia Stewards, Blogging about Jimbo and other stewards
JWSchmidt

Group: Contributors

I'm blogging about Wikimedia stewards. Does anyone have any good steward stories?

-John Schmidt
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 6,696

QUOTE(JWSchmidt @ Tue 29th March 2011, 5:56pm) *

I'm blogging about Wikimedia stewards. Does anyone have any good steward stories?

-John Schmidt
For the most parts the Stewards are fairly boring people. This is largely because if they aren't boring they won't get reelected.
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(JWSchmidt @ Tue 29th March 2011, 6:56pm) *

-John Schmidt

Mike Lifeguard trying to enforce a personally-decided Meta ban on me by breaking rules on various other Wikimedia projects was pretty funny. When it became clear that his action was a pointless personal vendetta, he cried a little like a baby, then (mostly) quit around September 2010.
+Quote Post
JWSchmidt

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 29th March 2011, 6:19pm) *

Mike Lifeguard trying to enforce a personally-decided Meta ban on me by breaking rules on various other Wikimedia projects was pretty funny. When it became clear that his action was a pointless personal vendetta, he cried a little like a baby, then (mostly) quit around September 2010.

Mike.lifeguard is on my list of stewards to be discussed. I was amazed when he deleted some user page content at Wikiversity. A helpful edit by Mike. I opposed him when he was a candidate for Custodian at Wikiversity. The end.

I need to look at how the Wikibooks community finally got rid of him.

-John Schmidt
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(JWSchmidt @ Tue 29th March 2011, 10:05pm) *

Mike.lifeguard is on my list of stewards to be discussed. I was amazed when he deleted some user page content at Wikiversity. A helpful edit by Mike. I opposed him when he was a candidate for Custodian at Wikiversity. The end.

-John Schmidt

You're joking, right, John?

Mike.lifeguard posted his retirement from Wikibooks on September 9, 2010, about 4.26 hours after I was unblocked there.

He would later sputter the next day with his wet, cry-baby eyes that my status had no bearing on his decision to leave. Sure, Mike. We believe you, buddy.
+Quote Post
JWSchmidt

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 29th March 2011, 8:05pm) *

He would later sputter the next day

Thanks for the link. I was told the day that he resigned, but I've never really been in the loop at Wikibooks. I had half an eye on Wikibooks for about a month (Aug-Sept) and saw "QuiteUnusual" dismiss one of Moulton's arguments as "Wikilawyering at its worst" and he said he was willing to leave the block in place. I'm still not sure how the tide was changed.

-John Schmidt
+Quote Post
Gruntled

Quite an unusual member

Group: On Vacation

QUOTE(JWSchmidt @ Wed 30th March 2011, 4:53am) *

I had half an eye on Wikibooks for about a month (Aug-Sept) and saw "QuiteUnusual" dismiss one of Moulton's arguments as "Wikilawyering at its worst"

I assume that this is an expression of praise for QuiteUnusual. It is undoubtedly well deserved; he's a very fine admin; no doubt many here would say he's better than any WMF site deserves.
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(Gruntled @ Wed 30th March 2011, 7:27am) *

I assume that this is an expression of praise for QuiteUnusual. It is undoubtedly well deserved; he's a very fine admin; no doubt many here would say he's better than any WMF site deserves.

He's doing a bang-up job on one area of my casual expertise -- WWII aircraft. I mean, look at that glorious content, all ready to go to be printed in a Wikijunior pamphlet or booklet. If there's any money left, that is.
+Quote Post
Adrignola

QUOTE(JWSchmidt @ Tue 29th March 2011, 9:05pm) *

The delinking of the account from the global one to create the possibility of an unblock, allowance of talk page access for self-defense, and respect for community consensus in the two unblock attempts could have come as a shock if nobody had chosen to be confrontational before.

There were only two bureaucrats/checkusers at the time and there was a pre-retirement resignation of CU rights to, as some have suggested, have them removed from the other bureaucrat as a form of retaliation. But someone had to stand up for the principle of the matter. Similar situations likely occurred at other wikis.
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(Adrignola @ Thu 31st March 2011, 2:36pm) *

QUOTE(JWSchmidt @ Tue 29th March 2011, 9:05pm) *

The delinking of the account from the global one to create the possibility of an unblock, allowance of talk page access for self-defense, and respect for community consensus in the two unblock attempts could have come as a shock if nobody had chosen to be confrontational before.

There were only two bureaucrats/checkusers at the time and there was a pre-retirement resignation of CU rights to, as some have suggested, have them removed from the other bureaucrat as a form of retaliation. But someone had to stand up for the principle of the matter. Similar situations likely occurred at other wikis.

It was probably also shocking to Mike.lifeguard that the content I then published on Wikibooks was far more awesome than any of the crap he ever did there. That would also make a grown man cry and pout the way he did.
+Quote Post
Gruntled

Quite an unusual member

QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 30th March 2011, 1:49pm) *

He's doing a bang-up job on one area of my casual expertise -- WWII aircraft. I mean, [url=http://en.wikibooks.org/w/index.php?title=World_War_II/Aircraft_of_WWII&diff=prev&oldid=2033057]look at that glorious content

Yep, he has a great sense of humor, doesn't he? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif) And he sure knows his editors.

QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 31st March 2011, 7:56pm) *

It was probably also shocking to Mike.lifeguard that the content I then published on Wikibooks was far more awesome than any of the crap he ever did there. That would also make a grown man cry and pout the way he did.

And he really appreciates the modesty and humility of some of his editors.
+Quote Post
Gruntled

Quite an unusual member

QUOTE(Gruntled @ Wed 30th March 2011, 12:27pm) *

QUOTE(JWSchmidt @ Wed 30th March 2011, 4:53am) *

I had half an eye on Wikibooks for about a month (Aug-Sept) and saw "QuiteUnusual" dismiss one of Moulton's arguments as "Wikilawyering at its worst"

And just to prove that I'm not alone in my opinion of QuiteUnusual, his RfB is currently running at 13/0/0 [wb]Wikibooks:Requests for permissions[/wb].

Hmmm ... why don't [wb]Wikibooks tags[/wb] work?

This post has been edited by Gruntled:
+Quote Post
JWSchmidt

QUOTE(Adrignola @ Thu 31st March 2011, 11:36am) *

...delinking of the account

Can anyone provide an account of how Pathoschild became involved?
+Quote Post
Adrignola

QUOTE(JWSchmidt @ Sun 3rd April 2011, 7:05am) *

Can anyone provide an account of how Pathoschild became involved?

The global account log shows that it was an effort to allow individual wikis to decide to block/unblock Thekohser. A compromise between nothing and a full-blown account lock. But the lock was put back in place, "per discussion".
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(Adrignola @ Sun 3rd April 2011, 11:59am) *

But the lock was put back in place, "per discussion".

And, if I recall, when Mike.lifeguard was asked about that "discussion" (with whom? when? where? on whose authority?), the questions were met with either silence or cry-baby tears (I can't remember which, maybe both).
+Quote Post
Zoloft

May we all find solace in our dreams.

Member No.: 16,621

It's not often you see someone who calls himself 'lifeguard' holding someone's head underwater.
+Quote Post
JWSchmidt

QUOTE(Adrignola @ Sun 3rd April 2011, 8:59am) *

the lock was put back in place, "per discussion".

"after discussing with drini" <-- Did any of these discussions take place in a public forum? I thought steward actions were supposed to be transparent.
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Member No.: 6,696

"Per discussion" is wikispeek for "for a reason we don't want to talk about". I'd actually be fine with that, if they would just stop lying about it.
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(JWSchmidt @ Mon 4th April 2011, 1:35am) *

QUOTE(Adrignola @ Sun 3rd April 2011, 8:59am) *

the lock was put back in place, "per discussion".

"after discussing with drini" <-- Did any of these discussions take place in a public forum? I thought steward actions were supposed to be transparent.

Once again, it amazes me that you would be "surprised" by Mike.lifeguard pulling shit.
He's done it so many times, no one can count them up anymore.

Go ask Abd, or Moulton, what kind of abuse Mike's tried on WB or WV.

This post has been edited by EricBarbour:
+Quote Post
Gruntled

Quite an unusual member

QUOTE(Gruntled @ Sun 3rd April 2011, 9:47am) *

And just to prove that I'm not alone in my opinion of QuiteUnusual, his RfB is currently running at 13/0/0.

Update: he passed at 16/0/0. Given how few editors there are on WB, that's pretty impressive, especially as one editor failed to vote.

The thing about QuiteUnusual is that he's passionate about his cause, and will go to great trouble, out on a limb if necessary, to help anyone else who supports his cause, even if they don't reciprocate. I think there's a moral for all of us there.
QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Tue 5th April 2011, 6:27am) *

Go ask Abd, or Moulton, what kind of abuse Mike's tried on WB or WV.

I suspect that QuiteUnusual won't stand idly by if that sort if thing recurs.

This post has been edited by Gruntled:
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)