FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Sage Ross -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sage Ross, paid cog of the Hive now
thekohser

Group: Regulars

Recently, Sage Ross announced his retirement from The Signpost, citing...
I'm taking a job that isn't compatible with much Signpost involvement.

Days later, the Wikimedia Foundation announces they've hired Sage Ross to be a part of the "Public Policy Initiative".

Note, Sage Ross was the one brave "non-involved party" who offered to edit for publication the quarantined "Episode 45" of Wikivoices. His offer was also rejected with malice by Adam "Shoemaker's Holiday" Cuerden.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

τὰ δέ μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,619

QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 14th June 2010, 11:42am) *

Recently, Sage Ross announced his retirement from The Signpost, citing …

I'm taking a job that isn't compatible with much Signpost involvement.

Days later, the Wikimedia Foundation announces they've hired Sage Ross to be a part of the "Public Policy Initiative".

Note, Sage Ross was the one brave "non-involved party" who offered to edit for publication the quarantined "Episode 45" of Wikivoices. His offer was also rejected with malice by Adam "Shoemaker's Holiday" Cuerden.

Not to bee confused with the Pubic Policy Initiative — that would bee Jimbo's Job.

Jon (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

τὰ δέ μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Member No.: 5,619

Of course, the real joke here is that there's any conflict of interest between two arms of the same Wikiputian Propaganda Machine.

Jon (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

Group: Contributors

Apparently, our dear Sage has been getting ahead by saying that he is a professor at Yale. In actuality, he works as an -adjunct-, which is a mercenary who does not get to actually use the word "professor" (except, perhaps, within his class), and that does no require anything beyond a masters. He does, after all, have only a masters.

Look at his user page for the fact that he only has a masters. The rest about how he got the spot was what I was told via IRC, and I doubt they put applications or the rest online.

This post has been edited by Ottava:
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(Ottava @ Tue 22nd June 2010, 9:54am) *

Apparently, our dear Sage has been getting ahead by saying that he is a professor at Yale. In actuality, he works as an -adjunct-, which is a mercenary who does not get to actually use the word "professor" (except, perhaps, within his class), and that does no require anything beyond a masters. He does, after all, have only a masters.

Ottava, could you provide some supporting links?
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Member No.: 3,670

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 22nd June 2010, 10:05am) *
Ottava, could you provide some supporting links?

The image that comes to mind are dungeon chains which keep the hapless prisoner from slumping to the floor.
+Quote Post
ulsterman

Group: Inactive

QUOTE(Moulton @ Tue 22nd June 2010, 3:59pm) *

The image that comes to mind are dungeon chains which keep the hapless prisoner from slumping to the floor.

Moulton! You've been browsing Commons too much! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ohmy.gif)
+Quote Post
MZMcBride

Ãœber Member

Can Mr. Kohs be banned from creating new topics? Please?
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(MZMcBride @ Tue 22nd June 2010, 4:57pm) *

McBride! All this time I thought your avatar was one horribly ugly fish, supporting himself on his two pectoral fins.

Man, I've done too much scuba. Too many frogfish, too many drumfish. Too many lionfish.

Er, what was that about Greg Kohs, again? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Zoloft

May we all find solace in our dreams.

Member No.: 16,621

Given enough time this summer, I might produce a parody Episode 45... perhaps in 'Chipmunk mode' for the voices.

Do you have a transcript, Greg?
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(MZMcBride @ Tue 22nd June 2010, 4:57pm) *

(IMG:http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss273/metasonix/shutthefuckup.gif)
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(MZMcBride @ Tue 22nd June 2010, 7:57pm) *

Jeez, ever since I did my masterful work on those 6 or 7 unwatched and unreferenced BLPs, you've been coming down really hard on me, MZ. Is there something else going on here?

Anyway, I'm sorry you're jealous that I'm one of the very best thread-starters here.

Zoloft, no transcript. I don't typically take verbatim notes from a 2-hour Q&A session.

+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 23rd June 2010, 6:30am) *

Jeez, ever since I did my masterful work on those 6 or 7 unwatched and unreferenced BLPs, you've been coming down really hard on me, MZ. Is there something else going on here?

I hope so...we're running low on new lurid gossip. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ermm.gif)
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

Apparently, Sage didn't mention his Princeton stuff himself, so that was pushed through either by WMF rumor or rumor after. He didn't mention being an adjunct either. So, that's good (assuming he didn't do either). I would hate someone to get a spot about connecting to academia for the WMF and claim to be far more than what they were.

Edit to add - as Somey points out, he is a graduate assistant, but adjunct was the word I was given by someone who didn't like the rumor. So, rumors and counter rumors. Expected at the WMF, no? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif) When will the Foundation get its own reality tv show (the "Real World" for the internet that is, like the original, nothing "real" at all).

This post has been edited by Ottava:
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Member No.: 275

QUOTE(Ottava @ Tue 22nd June 2010, 8:54am) *
Apparently, our dear Sage has been getting ahead by saying that he is a professor at Yale. In actuality, he works as an -adjunct-....

Based on what I'm seeing, it's far more likely that he's a graduate assistant, no? Most adjunct/visiting professors at big-time institutions (like Yale) have doctorates, since the supply of Ph.D's easily outstrips demand - though I suppose that might depend on the subject being taught.

And sure enough, that's essentially what his blog says:
Ohai! I’m Sage Ross, a graduate student in the History of Science and Medicine program at Yale. I’m all-but-dissertation and writing my thesis on the history of molecular evolution, the intersection of the two great metanarratives of modern biology (evolution and the molecular vision of life).

So maybe it's possible that this claim by Mr. Ross to be a "professor" was the result of "grapevine distortion"? Or do we have some evidence that he actually said that himself?

More significantly, unless the WMF job he just took is some sort of part-time/temporary deal, it could mean that he's not counting on finding a job in academia within his field (which, to be fair, is not one that most colleges and universities are likely to have secure slots for).

Edit: Too slow (by four minutes) to see the above post by Ottava - sorry!
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

QUOTE(Ottava @ Wed 23rd June 2010, 1:42pm) *
When will the Foundation get its own reality tv show (the "Real World" for the internet that is, like the original, nothing "real" at all).

I don't see why not? After all, Arbcom has its own TV show! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/evilgrin.gif)
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.
Member No.: 981

QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 23rd June 2010, 4:30am) *

Zoloft, no transcript. I don't typically take verbatim notes from a 2-hour Q&A session.

Especially when its being recorded by skilled and deligent Wikipedians.
+Quote Post
Zoloft

May we all find solace in our dreams.

Member No.: 16,621

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Wed 23rd June 2010, 6:46pm) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 23rd June 2010, 4:30am) *

Especially when its being recorded by skilled and deligent Wikipedians.

I just listened to a few of these episodes, and couldn't stop laughing. The sound scared the neighbor's cat away from my window.
+Quote Post
MZMcBride

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 23rd June 2010, 6:30am) *
Surely I'm not the only person sick of hearing about how wronged you were in the Wikivoices incident of ... whenever the hell it was.

It's amusing, from my perspective at least, that you share so many characteristics with the group you seemingly despise (Wikipedians). In particular, obsessiveness and a propensity to bring up the past wrongs (justified or not) against you at every opportunity, regardless of whether it's relevant. This is pretty evident in your posts, which invariably involve some mention of Jimmy Wales, Wikivoices, or Wikipedia Review (the first two being examples of obsessiveness and the great wrongs you've been subjected to, respectively). Perhaps I'm on the outskirts of public opinion and others don't mind. For me, though, it's all become very dull and a bit irritating.
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(MZMcBride @ Wed 23rd June 2010, 9:27pm) *

This is pretty evident in your posts, which invariably involve some mention of Jimmy Wales, Wikivoices, or Wikipedia Review (the first two being examples of obsessiveness and the great wrongs you've been subjected to, respectively). Perhaps I'm on the outskirts of public opinion and others don't mind. For me, though, it's all become very dull and a bit irritating.

I could take four minutes and find ten recent threads I've started that have nothing to do with Jimmy Wales, Wikivoices, or Wikipedia Review... but, instead of me doing that, MZ... why don't you show us your best 5 started threads of 2010 -- any subject, no restrictions.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)