FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Just what is Meta for, anyways? -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Just what is Meta for, anyways?
Tarc

Fat Cat

Group: Regulars

Not technically "Wikipedia" related, but WMF in general. Its kinda nuts up there, as our dear WR contributor Mbz1 is using Meta's RfC process as her sole remaining battleground from which to fire salvos at Gwen Gale; http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_fo...mment/Gwen_Gale

I called for the whole thing to be shit-canned but they quickly shat upon that idea and shuffled it off to a sub-section of the RfC itself.

Mbz1's formerly "voluntary indef" on en.wiki has been made into a real one, due to harassment of Gwen at....ding ding ding...Meta. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hmmm.gif)

This post has been edited by Tarc:
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
mbz1

Group: Contributors

Also I'd like to ask everybody to tell me what is the difference between Wikipedia:Requests for comment/Fæ and RFC for Gwen Gale or rather what is the difference between the stories of an admin Fæ and an admin gwen gale.

*They both had prior accounts.
*They both went for a clean start after they have problems.
*They both were eventually identified as having prior accounts.
*Fæ wrote some articles that were BLP violations. Gwen Gale wrote two articles about not-notable herself, and added numerous links to her own bio written by her at the feminist.net to a few Wikipedia articles.
*They both were not exactly honest in their RfAs, except Gwen Gale made a few openly false or half-true statements during her RfA, while Fæ simply failed to disclose his prior accounts.
*Maybe I am mistaking, but I believe Fæ is not an abusive as admin at English wiki, Gwen Gale is.

I am simply trying to understand how somebody who read this section http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_fo...s_when_involved could claim that Gwen Gale is an average admin. She's probably not the worst one, but I am sure, she is well below average .

Please forget that this RFC was submitted by me. Let's assume it was submitted by a different person. Let's assume it was submitted on English wiki. Just tell me please, where I got it wrong, except submitting it on meta. I will really appreciate your comments. Thanks.

This post has been edited by mbz1:
+Quote Post
Tarc

Fat Cat

QUOTE(mbz1 @ Fri 10th February 2012, 12:05am) *

Also I'd like to ask everybody to tell me what is the difference between Wikipedia:Requests for comment/Fæ and RFC for Gwen Gale or rather what is the difference between the stories of an admin Fæ and an admin gwen gale.

*They both had prior accounts.
*They both went for a clean start after they have problems.

I'd say the difference can be seen in a comparison of the nomination statements;

Wikipedia:Requests for adminship/Gwen Gale (T-H-L-K-D)
Gwen Gale (talk · contribs) - Gwen Gale has been editing Wikipedia under her current user name for over a year, during which time she has made over 13,000 edits. She made a further 13,000 edits under her previous account User:Wyss. She is an excellent article writer, developing articles on a range of subjects, some up to Good Article level. She is experienced at XfD and guideline discussions, and has taken part in vandal fighting. Gwen Gale is an experienced and knowledgable user who can be trusted with the tools, in whatever area she decides to use them. Epbr123 (talk) 17:49, 18 January 2008 (UTC)

Wikipedia:Requests for adminship/Gwen Gale 2 (T-H-L-K-D)
Gwen Gale (talk · contribs) - Ladies and Gentlemen, I offer you Gwen Gale, my next candidate for adminship.

Gwen Gale joined Wikipedia in early 2004 under the account Wyss, which she amassed over 13,000 edits under, and used up until late 2006. With Gwen Gale, she has over 17,000 edits, totaling over 30,000 under both. To move away from edit counts, Gwen’s article writing is impressive: she has significantly edited and improved articles ranging from topics such as Amelia Earhart and Apollo 1 to Lesbian and Shamrock Hotel. In addition to her great article-writing skills, Gwen is also at good vandal-fighting, knowing when to use and when not to use the rollback feature, which I granted to her. She is also very active on WP:ANI, giving regular input to issues raised there.

[...]

Acalamari 22:48, 17 May 2008 (UTC)

Wikipedia:Requests for adminship/Fae (T-H-L-K-D)
Fæ (talk · contribs) – Fæ is a highly active and experienced contributor (for those who like stats: 50,000 edits over 12 months) in a variety of areas in which having the tools would benefit the project. I highlight the following reasons why Fæ should be given the tools:

Fæ is an OTRS volunteer and has been since August 2010. The fact of being an OTRS volunteer already demonstrates a high degree of trustworthiness. But also, having the administrative tools will help Fæ to carry out important OTRS-related functions, like dealing with copyright and BLP violations that get reported via email.
Fæ has a demonstrated commitment to, and proficiency in, content work, with three good articles and one featured article.
Fæ's one featured article, Hoxne Hoard, demonstrates exactly the qualities the project needs in an administrator. The article passed FA as the result of an organised collaboration between multiple editors on- and off-wiki. It's one thing to write an FA yourself; it's another thing entirely to demonstrate the people skills, teamwork and leadership needed to get a large collaboration across the line. I'd also suggest having a look at WP:GLAM/BM and WP:GLAM/BL for Fæ's ongoing collaborative work in GLAM projects.
Fæ is very competent in deletion policy and practice. Fæ makes well-reasoned nominations (eg Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/St. Francis Xavier Montmorency and Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/Irena Lipienė) and arguments.
Fæ is a proficient vandal fighter.
Fæ deals with complaints well - one of the most important parts of being an admin. A review of Fæ's talk page articles reveals that editors do disagree with Fæ from time to time: but the disagreements and complaints are dealt with courteously and constructively. Mkativerata (talk) 19:39, 14 March 2011 (UTC)

What's different?
+Quote Post
mbz1

+Quote Post
Abd

Postmaster

Member No.: 9,019

QUOTE(mbz1 @ Fri 10th February 2012, 11:16am) *
And now, I'd still would like to ask everybody to look at this section
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_fo...s_when_involved
and tell, what from the documented cases I got wrong. If I am proven wrong on some of them, I will fix them, and/or remove these.
I'd also like to ask you to look http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?t...1#Zhand38_on_en here, and honestly tell me, what admin who did something like this during RFC about her misusing the tools will be allowed to keep the tools? There is much more to this story, but I will not post it here. I am posting this link only because it is on Commons anyway, and Gwen posted it there herself. Thanks.
Do you realize that "asking everybody" to look at something is often seen as abusive? That's a fact, I'm not justifying it or claiming it's right. In any case, I'll look.

The first link is a link to the RfC on meta. The basic thing you got wrong, Mila, is that you filed this on meta. That's the first thing that occurs, and it will then affect how I and others read what you've written. Basically, it's all moot process, and we don't want to waste time reading evidence filed in moot process.

The second thing is a non-neutral presentation of evidence, that is woven through the RfC, instead of making an evidence section that is rigorously neutral, and a claims section that makes claims about the significance of the evidence. You incorporate in your arguments your own assumptions, such as "Using tools when involved is unethical, and it is a violation of the policy that clearly states: In general, editors should not act as administrators in cases in which they have been involved.....

Using tools while involved is not necessarily unethical. It might be and it might not be. Further, your quotation of policy includes a caveat: "In general...." I.e, there are exceptions. By tossing in the "unethical" right at the beginning, you telegraph your conclusions and position. Absent clear standards of ethics, and I don't think they exist on Wikipedia, you are merely making a personal attack. That doesn't mean that she didn't do unethical things, but you aren't showing up with clean hands. On Wikipedia, when you file an RfC, you must show several things, and among them is certification by another editor who, with you, affirms that efforts have been made to resolve the dispute and failed. You are, yourself, involved, Mila, and your RfC will be seen in that light. I filed an RfC on JzG, over a dispute that had developed (This was RfC/JzG 3.) This was certified by Durova, and I'd never have filed it if I hadn't been assured of this. I was warned that I'd get banned anyway, and I took the risk.

On Wikipedia, your RfC, unless you found co-certification, would be promptly deleted. Meta doesn't have that rule, but the same principles will apply. You will be seen as pursuing a vendetta, whether you are or are not.

Before you have presented any evidence, you ask, "So why Gwen Gale has been allowed to misuse the tools over, and over and over again?" You are assuming the conclusion you have made before you have established it, and using it in a loaded question. It's polemic, it's not sober presentation of evidence, it's an attack.

Even if the user has done lots of Bad Stuff.

When you get down to presenting evidence, you include lots of stuff where the administrator's action was ultimately correct, but the administrator should have recused as involved. "Should have" is your position, this has never become clear on Wikipedia, and making it clear has been resisted. I'd agree that recusal would be better, but it's also considered efficient for a somewhat-involved admin to simply act without raising a big ruckus. Rules for this have never been developed, but you are expecting the admin to follow your concepts of ethics. You are making it personal, when, in fact, the behavior you are describing is quite common. So administrators aren't going to support your position because it is not being proposed as a general problem with policy -- there is a general problem -- it is being proposed as a reason why the particular administrator should be reprimanded, or, what do you want? Desysop? Not going to happen, not from these kinds of things, unless and until recusal requirements are clear policy and they are *then* violated.

As to your second question, I looked at the diff you gave in your comment on Commons. I see no impropriety there. The IP was blocked by Courcelles, an admin, and then by JamesBWatson. Now, perhaps Gwen Gale previously blocked this user. If so, you didn't show that, it would be an essential element to even begin to establish recusal failure. However, again, in this case what Gwen Gale actually wrote is what about any administrator would write. Yes, it would be better to allow an independent unblock (assuming Gwen Gale was involved before), but that something else is better doesn't establish that an action is abusive. Bottom line, no admin, under the conditions existing there, would respond to that unblock request with an unblock.

If you want to criticize Wikipedia, you are first going to need to understand how it works, basically, what's right about it. There is lots that is wrong, abusive even, but you won't be able to tell the difference.

Does that answer your questions?

(Now, I notice that there are revision deletions on the IP talk page. The log for these has been suppressed. Many Wikipedians feared, when RevDel became available to ordinary administrators, that it would be abused. Certainly it reduces transparency. I helped to develop RevDel standards, by presenting certain administrators -- self-selected -- with the opportunity to use RevDel outside of its intended use. When they did, it then became a matter for discussion, and the outcome was an improvement. However, there is no easy way to know if RevDel is being abused, it can only be reviewed by administrators. What I'd set up was a situation where I was making sure that the edit contents were published (elsewhere), so it could be seen that RevDel was being used outside of intent, as a kind of punishment, and certainly without necessity. That's rare, that an IP sock will both self-identify, and document what resulted. Socks mostly try to escape detection, and it's assumed that a sock that self-identifies is, then, "doing it for the attention." Maybe.... maybe the motive is to improve the wiki by drawing attention to violations of consensus or policy. (These were self-reverted edits, so there was actually no need for administrative response at all; none of the edits were uncivil or disruptive in themselves, in any way, except as "block evasion.")

(A certain administrator then set up an edit filter to detect "Abd" in edits, automatically blocking them, and thus interdicting my self-identification of the edits in the edit summary. This, then, caused collateral damage, as it turns out that the string Abd is pretty common, many Muslim names contain it, but there are other examples as well. It also loaded down the server. Indeed, the collateral damage was asserted in my ban as something that I gloated over. Nope. I pointed it out and did what I could to prevent or repair damage, spending valuable IP on it. It was administrative over-reaction through the edit filter that caused the damage, and I'd never dreamed that admins would go to those lengths to attempt to stop all editing. And, of course, it was ineffective, I merely stopped self-reverting.)

(You know, I think some of these administrators really are idiots. As the IP range blocks got more extensive, I finally created a real sock. How many I created is information that I won't reveal. But only one "secret" sock came to the attention of the "authorities," because, deliberately, I hadn't taken precautions. The sock only made collaborative edits -- though most of them were ban violations. When it was detected, JzG, predictably, reverted an edit I'd made to a BLP, and an administrator with whom I'd had prior conflict reverted my edit back in as proper. Now, if I want to edit, does anyone seriously think that Wikipedia has a means to stop me? I'm not editing now because it's not worth the effort, not because it's impossible. I demonstrated, in that short period last year, how it would be possible for a banned editor to make contributions in a *non-disruptive* way, self-reverted and self-identified as being reverted "per ban," with little or no complication of enforcement, how enforcement effort aimed at stopping this wasn't preventing harm but might actually be causing it, and I'd previously seen the concept accepted by respected Wikipedians, when suggested for ScienceApologist, but the "ban is a ban" trope took over.)
+Quote Post
mbz1

QUOTE(Abd @ Fri 10th February 2012, 6:35pm) *

Before you have presented any evidence, you ask, "So why Gwen Gale has been allowed to misuse the tools over, and over and over again?" You are assuming the conclusion you have made before you have established it, and using it in a loaded question. It's polemic, it's not sober presentation of evidence, it's an attack.

Even if the user has done lots of Bad Stuff.

As to your second question, I looked at the diff you gave in your comment on Commons. I see no impropriety there. The IP was blocked by Courcelles, an admin, and then by JamesBWatson. Now, perhaps Gwen Gale previously blocked this user. If so, you didn't show that, it would be an essential element to even begin to establish recusal failure. However, again, in this case what Gwen Gale actually wrote is what about any administrator would write. Yes, it would be better to allow an independent unblock (assuming Gwen Gale was involved before), but that something else is better doesn't establish that an action is abusive. Bottom line, no admin, under the conditions existing there, would respond to that unblock request with an unblock.

(Now, I notice that there are revision deletions on the IP talk page. The log for these has been suppressed. Many Wikipedians feared, when RevDel became available to ordinary administrators, that it would be abused. Certainly it reduces transparency. I helped to develop RevDel standards, by presenting certain administrators -- self-selected -- with the opportunity to use RevDel outside of its intended use. When they did, it then became a matter for discussion, and the outcome was an improvement. However, there is no easy way to know if RevDel is being abused, it can only be reviewed by administrators. What I'd set up was a situation where I was making sure that the edit contents were published (elsewhere), so it could be seen that RevDel was being used outside of intent, as a kind of punishment, and certainly without necessity. That's rare, that an IP sock will both self-identify, and document what resulted. Socks mostly try to escape detection, and it's assumed that a sock that self-identifies is, then, "doing it for the attention." Maybe.... maybe the motive is to improve the wiki by drawing attention to violations of consensus or policy. (These were self-reverted edits, so there was actually no need for administrative response at all; none of the edits were uncivil or disruptive in themselves, in any way, except as "block evasion.")

Gwen blocked this user before, but this alone would not have been a problem in declining the unblock request. The problem was not even in the wording she used. The problem was that the user complained about Gwen Gale in his unblock request , and then she declined it.
In particular the user wrote:
Hey I know I wasn't supposed to do this, but I cannot log-in, know one understands that. That means I can't type on my own talk page, nor can I email anybody. User:GwenGale told me to type on a "big deal" administrator to get me globally blocked, not blocked completely, so for the last time, I cannot email anybody except for lower class admins that ignored me.

This wording the user used made gwen heavily involved. she should not have acted on this unblock request.
Besides have you seen the language gwen used http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?t...1#Zhand38_on_en
is threatening suicide on my talk page here (he did this once before on en many months back)
Yes, he did it, and it is not rev deleted, but I will not provide the link. Gwen only failed to say that the user wrote :"I almost killed myself because of you" (highlighted by me) . This post was made at Gwen's talk page. The user was talking to Gwen. After such an admission only a finished bully or a finished idiot, or both could have declined unblock request for this user. In any case the declining of this unblock request is enough to desysop the admin who did it.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Tarc   Just what is Meta for, anyways?  
Abd   Not technically "Wikipedia" related, but...  
Abd   About the question about what meta is for. In the...  
DanMurphy   Mila sent me a nastygram shortly after i set up an...  
melloden   Mila sent me a nastygram shortly after i set up a...  
SB_Johnny   Its probably best for her to keep public discussio...  
jd turk   Its probably best for her to keep public discussi...  
Tarc   I think the evidence for the reblock is primarily ...  
mbz1   OK, the trolls have spoken. Now it will be really...  
Tarc   Yesterday I was reblocked on English Wikipedia for...  
mbz1   [quote name='mbz1' post='297004' date='Tue 7th Fe...  
Tarc   [quote name='Tarc' post='297006' date='Tue 7th Fe...  
Abd   But the thing is that in this case the block becom...  
Guido den Broeder   But the thing is that in this case the block becom...  
mbz1   [quote name='mbz1' post='297009' date='Tue 7th Fe...  
Tarc   The whole process reminds closed Stalin's tri...  
mbz1   The whole process reminds closed Stalin's tr...  
Guido den Broeder   BTW did somebody else experienced govcom lying on ...  
jd turk   Indeed. Sit back and enjoy the show. :) It was ...  
mbz1   BTW did somebody else experienced govcom lying on...  
Vigilant   OK, the trolls have spoken. Now it will be reall...  
jd turk   Please forget that this RFC was submitted by me. ...  
mbz1   ..  
jd turk   And now Jehochman is blanking the RFC. And being r...  
Abd   Gwen blocked this user before, but this alone woul...  
mbz1   However, pinning this on Gwen Gale is nuts. by...  
jd turk   I do not really care what everyone is thinking. I...  
mbz1   Yes, a strong recusal policy would suggest recusa...  
Abd   Yes, a strong recusal policy would suggest recusal...  
mbz1   [quote name='mbz1' post='297377' date='Fri 10th F...  
Manning Bartlett   To answer the actual thread question, Meta was cre...  
mbz1   To answer the actual thread question, Meta was cr...  
Abd   I sometimes daydream about how much drama would ha...  
Tarc   Y'know, I almost hate to go into "I told ...  
mbz1   ---  
SB_Johnny   Wikipedia is not for me, it is for wikipidiots. :...  
mbz1   Wikipedia is not for me, it is for wikipidiots. ...  
Guido den Broeder   By natural selection. An honest person is an easy...  
Tarc   http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?titl...1...  
jd turk   Mbz's 15 minutes just petered out. That sho...  
mbz1   [url=http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=...  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)