FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Links to MyWikBiz -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Help

This subforum is for critical evaluation of Wikipedia articles. However, to reduce topic-bloat, please make note of exceptionally poor stubs, lists, and other less attention-worthy material in the Miscellaneous Grab Bag thread. Also, please be aware that agents of the Wikimedia Foundation might use your evaluations to improve the articles in question.

Useful Links: Featured Article CandidatesFeatured Article ReviewArticles for DeletionDeletion Review

> Links to MyWikBiz, Summa Logicae
Peter Damian

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

Group: Regulars

I raised the issue on the RS noticeboard here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Rel...WikiBiz_deleted

There is a concerted effort to remove a link on the Summa Logicae article to a version of book III (the only version on the internet) I placed there.

The logic is that it is a 'personal website'. As I have pointed out, that logic would remove 90% of links from medieval articles, and nearly all the links on that particular article.

It was many weeks work to check the scanned in Latin version - there are currently no Latin spell-checkers on the market, and it all has to be done by eye. This seems more a vendetta against Kohs than anything else.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
trenton

Group: Contributors

It occurs to me that since Wikipedia Review is a wiki, should it not be afforded wikipedia's interwiki links rather than plain external links. After all, Jimbeau's wikia project uses interwiki links (and therefore benefits in the google rankings)
+Quote Post
Abd

Postmaster

Member No.: 9,019

QUOTE(trenton @ Sun 12th September 2010, 1:04pm) *

It occurs to me that since Wikipedia Review is a wiki, should it not be afforded wikipedia's interwiki links rather than plain external links. After all, Jimbeau's wikia project uses interwiki links (and therefore benefits in the google rankings)
Don't even go there. Incorrect, anyway. If interwiki links, i.e., "See also," is being used for wikia, that's probably improper, "See also" should be reserved for Wikipedia links, not even links to Wikiversity, for example. The reason is that See also should be reserved for material covered by and governed by Wikipedia content policies.

As a reader of Wikipedia, I think of See Also as part of the encyclopedia, and External Links as material deemed of interest, with a caveat that this material may not be neutral. (That doesn't mean that Wikipedia material is guaranteed to be neutral, but it is, at least theoretically, required to be, whereas External link material is not such a requirement. The error is often make of objecting to external links as not meeting RS requirements.

Where there is duplication, links to sites that are RS are preferred, that's all.
+Quote Post
Peter Damian

QUOTE(Abd @ Sun 12th September 2010, 6:10pm) *

As a reader of Wikipedia, I think of See Also as part of the encyclopedia, and External Links as material deemed of interest, with a caveat that this material may not be neutral. (That doesn't mean that Wikipedia material is guaranteed to be neutral, but it is, at least theoretically, required to be, whereas External link material is not such a requirement. The error is often make of objecting to external links as not meeting RS requirements.

The irony, as I pointed out, is that most of the version in Wikisource is the one that I originally scanned in and checked, and which someone copied from Wikipedia Review. I know this because the first version contains a number of scanning errors which I subsequently corrected. See e.g. chapter 45

http://la.wikisource.org/wiki/Summa_logica...CUNDA_FIGURA.5D

where 'convertibile' was incorrectly read by the OCR as 'convertible' (Latin OCR is frustrating because no one has built a spell checker, and the OCR tries hard to convert everything to English spelling). There are dozens of such errors in the Wikisource version.
+Quote Post
Abd

Postmaster

Member No.: 9,019

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Sun 12th September 2010, 3:56pm) *

QUOTE(Abd @ Sun 12th September 2010, 6:10pm) *

The irony, as I pointed out, is that most of the version in Wikisource is the one that I originally scanned in and checked, and which someone copied from Wikipedia Review. I know this because the first version contains a number of scanning errors which I subsequently corrected. See e.g. chapter 45

http://la.wikisource.org/wiki/Summa_logica...CUNDA_FIGURA.5D

where 'convertibile' was incorrectly read by the OCR as 'convertible' (Latin OCR is frustrating because no one has built a spell checker, and the OCR tries hard to convert everything to English spelling). There are dozens of such errors in the Wikisource version.
That's rude, eh? Of course, maybe the scanners burped on the same glitches. What's missing on Wikisource is provenance for the scans.

Yes, I noticed you'd called attention to this. What I couldn't tell quickly, and what is more important, is which of the copies is more complete. I don't think Wikipedia should get into the issue of whether or not the material on Wikisource is legitimate, that should be handled at Wikisource. If the copies are complementary, then both should be linked to. If one includes the other, then the larger one. Except that if the smaller is more correct, then, once again, maybe both.
+Quote Post
Peter Damian

QUOTE(Abd @ Mon 13th September 2010, 4:34am) *

Of course, maybe the scanners burped on the same glitches. What's missing on Wikisource is provenance for the scans.

If they burped on the same glitches, then the 95% of glitches that I manually cleared up would be still there in the Wikisource. But not so. The Wikisource contains both my corrections, and the errors I failed to detected first time round. On the provenance, Books I and II were copied from a scan on Peter King's website (which he in turn took from an old scan that had been doing the rounds in academia). Book III is mine. I noticed that Book II part 2 and book IV have been scanned in by some Wikisourcer, which is a development at least.

This is all academic. I have no copyright over the work I did on correcting a scan, laborious as it was. It's more the politeness thing. I go to all that work, perhaps they could let me link to it? That's what gets me.

This post has been edited by Peter Damian:
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Peter Damian   Links to MyWikBiz  
thekohser   This seems more a vendetta against Kohs than anyt...  
Cock-up-over-conspiracy   Look ... come on ... you are facing a Nintendo pla...  
Peter Damian   The discussion is continued by someone called Flow...  
jayvdb   The discussion is continued by someone called Flo...  
Peter Damian   [quote name='Peter Damian' post='183061' date='Sa...  
jayvdb   I'm sorry, I missed the comments on your WP t...  
Peter Damian   And there they go, moving the precious work across...  
thekohser   And there they go, moving the precious work acros...  
jayvdb   [quote name='Peter Damian' post='184411' date='Th...  
Peter Damian   I seriously doubt that there are any rights in th...  
jayvdb   [quote name='jayvdb' post='184459' date='Fri 17th ...  
Peter Damian   Time to resurrect this one. http://en.wikipedia.o...  
thekohser   Time to resurrect this one. http://en.wikipedia....  
Jon Awbrey   [quote name='Peter Damian' post='252155' date='Su...  
Jon Awbrey   Of course, maybe the scanners burped on the same...  
Peter Damian   Work, as in Labor. Jon Awbrey Admittedly I di...  
Jon Awbrey   Work, as in Labor. Jon Awbrey Admittedly I di...  
Abd   Of course, maybe the scanners burped on the same g...  
Abd   Well, there is no question that the external link ...  
Peter Damian   The discussion on Talk there shows how not to app...  
Jon Awbrey   My guess is MrOllie will be along pretty quick to ...  
Peter Damian   To show exactly how much it is to correct these pa...  
Abd   Okay, I posted it., permanent link. I see that my...  
Jon Awbrey   MrOllie is a self-appointed BADLINKS vigilante and...  
Abd   MrOllie is a self-appointed BADLINKS vigilante and...  
tarantino   Someone should nail MrOllie. These guys cause eno...  
Abd   [quote name='Abd' post='252318' date='Tue 14th Se...  
tarantino   Tarantino, how did you connect Ehheh to MrOllie? ...  
CharlotteWebb   MrOllie's first edit was to Frankenstein as w...  
Abd   [...]Ehheh's [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/w/in...  
EricBarbour   Personally, I don't care if someone uses multi...  
Jon Awbrey   MrOllie has posted that stupid warning on hundred...  
EricBarbour   It appears to me that [wpuser]MrOllie used to be k...  
Abd   It appears to me that [wpuser]MrOllie used to be ...  
Jon Awbrey   MrOllie got into the act right after the Last Big ...  
The Joy   Another DennyColt/David Spart weirdo? :unsure:  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)