FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Statement from Jimbo re. Bauder/Forrester -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Statement from Jimbo re. Bauder/Forrester, From around Jan. 2006 ArbCom Elections
C H

Group: Contributors

I recall Jimbo saying that any arbcom election process that failed to elect James Forrester or Fred Bauder was broken. It was around the time of the January 2006 election, where James and Fred had seemingly failed in their reelection bids. Shortly thereafter, Jimbo expanded the arbcom by 3 members, adding Forrester, Bauder and JayJG. Can anyone help me find the quote? It was either on-wiki or on the mailing list.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
CrazyGameOfPoker

Group: Regulars

Some more notes:

July 2004:

A special election is held in order to fill 2 empty spots left by UninvitedCompany and Erik Moeller. Raul and Jwrosenzweig are chosen. On a side note, it's funny to see that there's no mention of Moeller's original terms on the history chart Arbcom provides.

December 2004:

7 seats were available. 3 of the arbitrators (JamesF, Raul, and Cunctuator) ran for re-election (of the other 4, 1 had his term expire, and 3 stepped down). Of the 3, only 1 passed re-election (Raul). James F and Cunctuator finished 11th and 16th in voting respectively.

July 2005:

This is the first real time where Jimbo starts going against the community consensus in the previous elections.

Delirium resigned and was replaced with Fennec. This follows in line, as Fennec had finished 8th in the voting. (This is a bit against Jimbo's email, but it works)

Ambi/Rebecca resigns, and is replaced with JamesF. I'm not too sure why the next 2 slots were skipped, as both were active editors.

Grunt resigned and was replaced by Jayjg. This is the first of the appointments that would be best described as "Gerald Ford"-ish.

Lir confronts Jimbo on these appointments (for those unaware Lir is not Lar). Everyking chimes in, and well...it's about as blunt as I've ever seen Jimmy.

September 2005:

Maveric149 resigned and replaced with Kat Walsh.

Nohat was resigned and replaced with Kelly Martin.

I can't seem to track down the announcements in any of the usual places...doesn't seem to be anything on wikien-l, and I can't seem to find anything on Jimbo's talkpage about it.

Late 2005/Early 2006:

In addition to those 5, Sannsae and Kelly Martin resigned, however no replacements were made until the January 2006 elections.

January 2006:

8 spots were available. The three July replacement terms were expired, as well as Kat Walsh's. The terms of Fred Bauder and David Gerard ended, and there were the 2 vacant spots by Kelly Martin and Sannsae. Of the 6 possible arbitrators seeking reappointment, 5 do, with the exception of David Gerard. (In addition Kelly Martin runs)

Of those 5, 4 are re-selected to be Arbitrators. Fennec is unsucessful in his bid, however the 3 of the other arbitrators do not finish within the top 8 (JamesF is 9th, Bauder is 12th, and Jayjg is 15th) but are appointed. The lone success is Kat Walsh who finished 2nd. (One also wonders how jpgordon feels, as he was the first skip for the new slots)

February 2006

Mackensen resigns. His position is not filled, despite occuring almost right after he was elected.

December 2006

Kat Walsh resigns after being elected to the WMF Board of Trustees.

The next elections are held. 7 spots are for election. 4 involve sitting arbitrators (The Epopt, Jayjg, Theresa knott, and Sam Korn), 2 are for seats vacated by Kat Walsh and Mackensen. The last spot is for Filiocht who had been on indefinite leave for almost his entire term.

All of the sitting arbitrators do not seek re-election.

UninvitedCompany is elected and appointed, the first arbitrator emeritus to be reappointed by election.

February 2007

Dmcdevit resigns. He is replaced by Mackensen. In the 2nd case of court packing, Essjay is selected to a new spot. He is sure to last until his term expires during the next election.

March 2007

Essjay resigns. His spot is not refilled. Ever.

December 2007

Election time again. 5 spots were open all of them term expirations. There was no election to replace Essjay's spot. Of the 5 sitting arbitrators, 4 do not seek re-election(SimonP, Mackensen, Neutrality, and Fred Bauder). Of the 1 that does, Raul is not re-elected.

In addition a bit of trickery is played, as FloNight is shifted into Flcelloguy's old seat (who had been inactive for the majority of his term), and thebainer replaces her old slot.

Final tallies:

8 sitting arbitrators have run for re-appointment. Raul has done so twice.

Of the 8, 2 were never appointed again; 1 was re-appointed (and elected for the first time); 1 was re-elected and appointed; 1 was re-appointed by fiat; and the other 3 were chosen by fiat to fill new spots. In addition, Raul was also rejected during his 3rd election.

With the exception of the first half of 2005, James F has been on the Arbitration Committee since it's inception. It's also worth noting, that he has never won re-election, and has been appointed 3 times by Jimmy Wales by fiat.

Three arbitrators emeritus have attempted to seek re-appointment via election after their orignal terms ended. UninvitedCompany was the only successful one; twice Kelly Martin and Rebecca failed to be reappointed.

This post has been edited by CrazyGameOfPoker:
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
C H   Statement from Jimbo re. Bauder/Forrester  
CrazyGameOfPoker   Taking a look: This is probably what you remember...  
Rootology   So, Jimbo created new seats to ensure Fred, James,...  
CrazyGameOfPoker   Let me take a look. It's worth noting that at ...  
Alex   Long history of arbcom............ That's v...  
everyking   [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Use...  
One   Lir is not LarUnderstatement. I have to say tha...  
Kelly Martin   It speaks volumes about what Jimmy thinks is impor...  
maiawatatos   I think the main conclusion I end up drawing from ...  
Milton Roe   Also the fairly circular process whereby JW appoi...  
Taxwoman   Also the fairly circular process whereby JW appo...  
maiawatatos   [quote name='Milton" Roe' post='125730' date...  
Taxwoman   Charles I, a fairly harmless God-king *Cough* ...  
Milton Roe   [quote name='Milton" Roe' post='125730' date...  
Rootology   I think the main conclusion I end up drawing from...  
maiawatatos   I think the main conclusion I end up drawing fro...  
sarcasticidealist   Would Jimmy be subject to sanction (not joking--I...  
thebainer   So honestly, what would happen if Jimmy did somet...  
maiawatatos   Well, that was fairly implicit in what I was tryin...  
Milton Roe   Well, that was fairly implicit in what I was tryi...  
CrazyGameOfPoker   Actually, can someone check something for me? I c...  
Kelly Martin   I can't for the life of me find the official a...  
Pumpkin Muffins   I can't for the life of me find the official ...  
Rootology   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:The_Roy...tstra...  
Alison   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:The_Roy...tstr...  
CrazyGameOfPoker   I don't have a reply from Jimbo that I can f...  
everyking   I think it would be a good idea to have a communit...  
ThurstonHowell3rd   I think it would be a good idea to have a communi...  
Viridae   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:The_Roy...tstr...  
Kelly Martin   Just noticed the anti Scientology tshirt on the le...  
Cedric   [quote name='Viridae' post='125951' date='Wed 3rd...  
Kelly Martin   Hmmm. I noticed that WP does gets cited a lot ove...  
One   Oh they know about Wikipedia. They cite it because...  
Rootology   The Xenu article's opening paragraph: That...  
One   That's a pretty accurate and neutral summary o...  
Kelly Martin   I have no love for Scientology, but I think Wikipe...  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)