FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
The Return of the Scarlet Turd Burglar -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Return of the Scarlet Turd Burglar, ....hide your tp & don't spare a square
Piperdown

Fat Cat

Group: Regulars

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=190781870

:#Redirects "Turd burglar" to [[Gay]] [http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Log&page=Turd_burglar]. Speedy deleted and found to be "inappropriately mocking and derisive" [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Redirects_for_discussion/Log/2007_July_22#Turd_burglar_.E2.86.92_Gay]

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Piperdown

Fat Cat

QUOTE(Piperdown @ Tue 12th February 2008, 3:02am) *

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=190781870

:#Redirects "Turd burglar" to [[Gay]] [http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Log&page=Turd_burglar]. Speedy deleted and found to be "inappropriately mocking and derisive" [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Redirects_for_discussion/Log/2007_July_22#Turd_burglar_.E2.86.92_Gay]

What would Alison Wheeler, David Shankbone, and other outstanding Wikipedians (although slightly self-aggrandizing) with diverse social backgrounds think about JzG's redirection of Turd Burglary? I shudder to think that any WP admins would actually stand up for what they believe is offensive to other admins.
+Quote Post
Piperdown

Fat Cat

Turd Burglar has somehow found its way into here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminology_of_homosexuality

Huh?

A turd burglar isn't a sexual reference at all is it? Doesn't it refer to someone who accidentally bursts into someone else's occupied toilet room/stall? Homosexuality? Did someone try to apologise for JzG's mishomogyny gaff? Help me understand, all you unhip slangsters out there
+Quote Post
wikiwhistle

Postmaster

QUOTE(Piperdown @ Sun 28th September 2008, 7:45pm) *

Huh?

A turd burglar isn't a sexual reference at all is it? Doesn't it refer to someone who accidentally bursts into someone else's occupied toilet room/stall? Homosexuality? Did someone try to apologise for JzG's mishomogyny gaff? Help me understand, all you unhip slangsters out there

It's listed under "Slang or pejorative terms". It's like a 'shirt lifter' i.e. a gay. Such as someone might accuse their mate of being if they were mocking them in an unpolitically correct manner. Hey, maybe JzG was drunk or bored that day.
+Quote Post
Shalom

Ãœber Member

Wait, are you telling me that JzG redirecting "Turd burglar" to "gay" was not complete nonsense? Serious question.
+Quote Post
wikiwhistle

Postmaster

QUOTE(Shalom @ Sun 28th September 2008, 8:13pm) *

Wait, are you telling me that JzG redirecting "Turd burglar" to "gay" was not complete nonsense? Serious question.

It gives the term a redirect it perhaps doesn't deserve, that redirect doesn't need to be in an encyclopedia, it was politically unwise of him to do as it's been used to associate him with the opinion; much as NPOVing a zoophilia article might be taken down and used in evidence against someone.
+Quote Post
Alison

Skinny Cow!

Member No.: 1,806

QUOTE(Shalom @ Sun 28th September 2008, 12:13pm) *

Where I'm from, I've certainly heard the term being used to refer to a gay male. Think about it (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/dry.gif) As WW says, it's akin to 'shirtlifter'.
+Quote Post
Eva Destruction

Fat Cat

QUOTE(Alison @ Sun 28th September 2008, 8:32pm) *

Where I'm from, I've certainly heard the term being used to refer to a gay male. Think about it (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/dry.gif) As WW says, it's akin to 'shirtlifter'.

Agreed. Certainly in London, it's one of the commonest slang terms for "gay male".
+Quote Post
dogbiscuit

Could you run through Verifiability not Truth once more?

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,015

QUOTE(Alison @ Sun 28th September 2008, 8:32pm) *

More akin to chutney ferret. (Thinks, not a path I should be going down really). I seem to recall, though, that it was not the redirect but the context, a bit like Guy claiming calling people c**ts was perfectly acceptable English behaviour (plenty of women here still find the term really offensive.
+Quote Post
Random832

meh

Also - in context, JzG was just trying to protect the title from a series of silly articles that had been created at that title.
+Quote Post
Piperdown

Fat Cat

QUOTE(Random832 @ Sun 28th September 2008, 7:43pm) *

Also - in context, JzG was just trying to protect the title from a series of silly articles that had been created at that title.

um, wrong answer. there's other ways to protect a title. I wonder what JzG's opinions on "gay" men is. Re-directing turd burglar to gay is not very nice, to say the least.

that redirect would be akin to "nappy headed ho's" being redirected to that ladies basketball team's article that was involved in the Don Imus scandal.

Or let's say, "coon" or "jigaboo" being redirected to "Negro". Pitchforks and torches would run off any editor who did such a thing. If it was redirected to a subsection or stub on the properly referenced sources of insulting names, that's a different story.

If it was redirect to section of "insulting names for homosexuals" and not just "gay", that would be different. I think "gay" is socially acceptable and relatively positive to all walks of life. Although many straight old-timers who like to refer to good times as "gay" are still not happy about its adoption by the homosexual community I've heard.

That redirect implies that turd burglar is an acceptable and definite synonym for "gay". I'd imagine to someone that's gay, it's horribly offensive to present it that way.

If I were to enter "coon" in wikipedia and it brought up the Negro article, that would be terrible.

Isnt' JzG an ultra-macho kickass Church Deacon? I'd wager he doesn't approve of gay at all, and that redirect was done with malice.

QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Sun 28th September 2008, 7:39pm) *

a bit like Guy claiming calling people c**ts was perfectly acceptable English behaviour (plenty of women here still find the term really offensive.

its funny ain't it? all these uberrighteous lady admins like slimmy feigning offences, while davy and jzg go round using the most offensive word that exists to most women i've known. maybe those women aren't from his pub and just aren't culturally hip to whats acceptable these days.

This post has been edited by Piperdown:
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(Piperdown @ Sun 28th September 2008, 11:45am) *

Huh?

I believe "turd burglar" was in that list long before JzG's "gaff." Which wasn't so much a gaff at all, as it is a slang term, especially in the UK. And I pointed out at the time, his big mistake was redirecting it to "Gay" and not the proper "Terminology of homosexuality." Nobody paid me any attention. Anyway, the slang is something along the joke line of "Can I push in your stool for you?" (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ohmy.gif) How offensive it is, depends on who says it and if they smile when they say it, like faggot and bugger and so on and so on. And the N word, too. Many insults are situation-dependent.

But I'm pretty sure "mishomogyny" isn't a word, unless it refers to dislike of lebians.

This post has been edited by Milton Roe:
+Quote Post
Shalom

Ãœber Member

Some redirects are little more than in-jokes. My favorite was "Wikipedia is communism" --> Wikipedia. Prodego nominated with a simple statement: "Come on...". I thought it was funny enough to immortalize in my userspace BJAODN before I deleted it...
+Quote Post
Meringue

Group: Contributors

QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Sun 28th September 2008, 8:39pm) *

More akin to chutney ferret. (Thinks, not a path I should be going down really). I seem to recall, though, that it was not the redirect but the context, a bit like Guy claiming calling people c**ts was perfectly acceptable English behaviour (plenty of women here still find the term really offensive.

It most indubitably is not acceptable in most parts of England. Where does this Guy hang out? What does he hang out?
+Quote Post
House of Cards

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 6,114

QUOTE(Alison @ Sun 28th September 2008, 9:32pm) *

Very common in Aussie slang, too. But is it entierly necessary to redirect it to [[Gay]]? [[Homophobia]] may have been more appropriate.
+Quote Post
the fieryangel

the Internet Review Corporation is watching you...

Member No.: 577

Here's what's left of the original evidence.

The page move was protected as being "obvious". I was sure that there are many other "obvious" terms which should be redirected to "gay", "arab", "Catholic", "Italian" etc and it would seem that WP editors felt the same way that I did.

I don't think that JzG is an ultra-macho Church deacon type, since he sings in the choir....I mean, in the first, non-slang, sense of that term, anyway....
+Quote Post
Random832

meh

QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Mon 29th September 2008, 12:24pm) *

The page move was protected as being "obvious".

I read that as being "it's obvious why it's protected" (i.e. "because people keep making nonsense articles at the title"), not "the term is an obvious synonym".
+Quote Post
the fieryangel

the Internet Review Corporation is watching you...

Member No.: 577

QUOTE(Random832 @ Mon 29th September 2008, 12:37pm) *

QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Mon 29th September 2008, 12:24pm) *

The page move was protected as being "obvious".

I read that as being "it's obvious why it's protected" (i.e. "because people keep making nonsense articles at the title"), not "the term is an obvious synonym".

Many things were obvious in that discussion, which is why the entire thing got over-sighted. It was just too embarrassing for all....
+Quote Post
Peter Damian

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

The page doesn't include 'chutney ferret'. Nor 'pilot of the chocolate runway'. Otherwise useful and informative stuff, as always.

[edit] Sorry, [/irony].

This post has been edited by Peter Damian:
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Mon 29th September 2008, 12:14pm) *

The page doesn't include 'chutney ferret'. Nor 'pilot of the chocolate runway'. Otherwise useful and informative stuff, as always.

[edit] Sorry, [/irony].

Was that irony or sarcasm?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)