FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Sorry about that -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Sorry about that
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

As many of you know, each year around this time, we like to have a little "technical crisis" which usually involves the board being down for anywhere from a day to a week. We like to think of it as our "little annual vacation."

In this case, the entire site was victimized by a rather malicious "hack" that took advantage of a vulnerability in our WordPress blog, which I, your friendly neighborhood Somey, had failed to upgrade to the latest (less vulnerable) version. I can make the usual excuses, like "it's not my full-time job," and "these WordPress upgrades are always dicey anyway," and "I forgot we actually had a WordPress blog," among many, many others. But for my own limited role in this particular incident, I humbly apologize.

We'll be reinstalling the newer, more fabulous version of WordPress here within the next 48 hours or so, but until then the blog will have to remain inaccessible, I'm afraid.

Finally, there's the question of viruses, trojans, and other malware. We don't believe the hacked pages here on Wikipedia Review were coded to deliver any actual viruses, but we unfortunately can't honestly assure visitors that if the pages in question managed to redirect them to other sites, that those sites wouldn't have attempted to do such terrible, horrible things. This doesn't seem to have happened to anyone we know of, but nevertheless, now might be a good time to ensure that your antivirus software is working and up-to-date! (And maybe do a scan too, just to make sure.)

You can never be too careful!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)