FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Eric Ely -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Discussions in this subforum are hidden from search engines.

However, they are not hidden from automobile engines, including the newer, more "environmentally-friendly" electric and hybrid engines. Also, please note that this subforum is meant to be used for discussion of the actual biographical articles themselves; more generalized discussions of BLP policy should be posted in the General Discussion or Bureaucracy forums.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Eric Ely
carbuncle

Fat Cat

Group: Regulars

Apparently the superintendent of a school district in the good ol' US of A leaked information about a police investigation to the person being investigated, who was their employee (or something). Bearian, who plays a lawyer on television, writes a BLP about him so that this important piece of world history gets recorded. After some discussions elsewhere it gets nominated for deletion.

This seems like a very typical and uninteresting case, but it's got Jimbo involved now (and of course the "Article Rescue Squadron" are flying in to save it). I'm making popcorn.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(carbuncle @ Fri 16th April 2010, 4:30am) *

Apparently the superintendent of a school district in the good ol' US of A leaked information about a police investigation to the person being investigated, who was their employee (or something). Bearian, who plays a lawyer on television, writes a BLP about him so that this important piece of world history gets recorded. After some discussions elsewhere it gets nominated for deletion.

This seems like a very typical and uninteresting case, but it's got Jimbo involved now (and of course the "Article Rescue Squadron" are flying in to save it). I'm making popcorn.

I wish there was a policy that the head-up-ARS people were simply prohibited from being involved with BLP articles, period. Would save much drahmas, our entertainment notwithstanding.

When I make my own (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/popcorn.gif) I'm always afraid of losing a crown on an old maid. No old maids are worth that. (A divorcee maybe ala Edward VIII, but not an old maid).
+Quote Post
Abd

Postmaster

Member No.: 9,019

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Fri 16th April 2010, 12:49pm) *
I wish there was a policy that the head-up-ARS people were simply prohibited from being involved with BLP articles, period. Would save much drahmas, our entertainment notwithstanding.

When I make my own (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/popcorn.gif) I'm always afraid of losing a crown on an old maid. No old maids are worth that. (A divorcee maybe ala Edward VIII, but not an old maid).
Look, there is an obvious solution that was long ago proposed, with some support behind it, WP:PWD, i.e., Pure Wiki Deletion, which is simply blanking with some special software features to handle it better.

A deletion debate can take place with a blanked page, and any admin could blank a BLP and protect it there pending a decision. Most BLP violations involve defamatory edits, and those are not routinely revision-deleted. So, WTF?

ARS is not the problem here, the problem is the difficulty of seeing the forest for one's head being up one's ass.
+Quote Post
carbuncle

Fat Cat

Bearian expands on his motivation for writing this BLP:
First of all, the scandal is not going away anytime soon - the coverage continued today and he is the issue in the campaign culminating in May. Secondly, I know that I am watching this article, and I am sure that others, are too. Bearian (talk) 15:40, 14 April 2010 (UTC)
Yes - a good AfD debate is good for that. But what about in 5 years time? Stephen B Streater (talk) 16:00, 14 April 2010 (UTC)
Oh, I think the families of the four girls who committed suicide due to bullying in Ely's schools will recall him in five years. I think Steve Raucci will remember him while he sits in prison five years from now. I suspect, from my experience as a litigator, that the lawsuits against the SCSD will still be dragging on for years to come. The candidates running "against him" now will be up for re-eelction in 2015. Once notable, a person is always notable. Bearian (talk) 17:26, 14 April 2010 (UTC)
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(carbuncle @ Fri 16th April 2010, 1:35pm) *

Once notable, a person is always notable. Bearian (talk) 17:26, 14 April 2010 (UTC)

Where is Carolyn Doran when one needs her? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/yecch.gif)
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

Group: Contributors

That article is longer and better sourced than many highly notable literary figures.

Sigh.

Someone, shoot me! Please!
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Member No.: 3,670

QUOTE(Ottava @ Fri 16th April 2010, 6:22pm) *

Maybe you and EricBarbour can do a mashup of your avatars.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Fri 16th April 2010, 3:10pm) *

QUOTE(carbuncle @ Fri 16th April 2010, 1:35pm) *

Once notable, a person is always notable. Bearian (talk) 17:26, 14 April 2010 (UTC)

Where is Carolyn Doran when one needs her? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/yecch.gif)

Why don't you point out her previous Wiki-BLP (isn't it on the web somewhere?) and all the stuff that's happened to her since, to Bearian, and see if he'll bring it up to date and post it. Two birds with one stone. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

QUOTE(Moulton @ Fri 16th April 2010, 10:26pm) *

Code Geass doesn't go so well with Pokemon.
+Quote Post
taiwopanfob

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Ottava @ Fri 16th April 2010, 10:22pm) *

That article is longer and better sourced than many highly notable literary figures.

Better sourced? Every last one is main-stream media. Literally, every one.

That alone should make it a candidate for instant, summary, erasure.

The usual things can be said here.

1. No sane person would waste more than a few minutes reading about Ely in the news, let alone devote hours creating a de novo biography about an otherwise non-notable bureaucrat. The real-world analog is someone persistently following Ely around, documenting their every public move and utterance on video. Wikipaparazi. Yes, indeed, the law says someone could do this, but the law doesn't say you must do it. In any polite society, such vultures should be identified as what they really are: crazy-ass wiki-stalking moterfuckin' creeps.

2. It is also a splendid case study in quantity vs. quality, and how this can be put to propaganda purpose. In essence, bullshit baffles brains: every last fact, no matter how trivial, is mentioned and referenced in exquisite detail. A completely novel synthesis of narrative erected from otherwise disparate sources, the whole apparatus clearly intended to disguise the fact that this is nothing more than a hit-piece.

Can the same be said of the articles you reference?

This post has been edited by taiwopanfob:
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

QUOTE(taiwopanfob @ Sat 17th April 2010, 12:39am) *

QUOTE(Ottava @ Fri 16th April 2010, 10:22pm) *

Better sourced? Every last one is main-stream media. Literally, every one.

That alone should make it a candidate for instant, summary, erasure.

The usual things can be said here.

1. No sane person would waste more than a few minutes reading about Ely in the news, let alone devote hours creating a de novo biography about an otherwise non-notable bureaucrat. The real-world analog is someone persistently following Ely around, documenting their every public move and utterance on video. Wikipaparazi. Yes, indeed, the law says someone could do this, but the law doesn't say you must do it. In any polite society, such vultures should be identified as what they really are: crazy-ass wiki-stalking moterfuckin' creeps.

2. It is also a splendid case study in quantity vs. quality, and how this can be put to propaganda purpose. In essence, bullshit baffles brains: every last fact, no matter how trivial, is mentioned and referenced in exquisite detail. A completely novel synthesis of narrative erected from otherwise disparate sources, the whole apparatus clearly intended to disguise the fact that this is nothing more than a hit-piece.

Can the same be said of the articles you reference?

Those four pages of highly notable poets lack sources and get a lot of stuff wrong. It is shameful.

This post has been edited by Ottava:
+Quote Post
HRIP7

QUOTE(taiwopanfob @ Sat 17th April 2010, 1:39am) *

Yep, that about sums it up. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/sick.gif) And of course, if kept, this thing will still sit there in five years' time, endlessly multiplied by WP mirrors, and the top google hit for the guy.
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(Ottava @ Fri 16th April 2010, 3:59pm) *
QUOTE(Moulton @ Fri 16th April 2010, 10:26pm) *
Code Geass doesn't go so well with Pokemon.

They both suck anyway. Now, Mnemosyne, that's what I call a show......

Why is Bearian pushing this with such insane obsessiveness? Well, since Ely is the
school district manager in Schenectady, and according to Hivemind, Bearian is a
law professor in Albany, and his own record shows a strange fondness for writing
BLPs about semi-obscure people and things from upstate New York....

Plus, he follows this editor around like a puppydog.....

Either Bearian is an insane nerd with a very light classwork load, who trolls
local newspapers for subject matter......
Or he's being paid to write about local things. Or mebbe some of both.

And he has a "sock". And his IP address is 71.245.156.223. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/sleep.gif)

This post has been edited by EricBarbour:
+Quote Post
HRIP7

The AfD has been closed as "no consensus", with the article being kept.

This post has been edited by HRIP7:
+Quote Post
carbuncle

Fat Cat

After continued prodding on his talk page, Jimbo has decided to take action. From Talk:Eric Ely:
ongoing national news?
As far as I can tell, there has been NO national news coverage. Unless I overlooked something, all of the sources are local. The Boston sources only mention Ely in the context of Boston's search for a superintendent - clearly a local Boston story. The same for Billings. The same for Arlington. I am concerned that this misleading and false claim may have confounded some voters in the AfD - i.e. if they didn't read closely, they may have assumed a much higher level of notability than the sources indicate.--Jimbo Wales (talk) 14:28, 20 April 2010 (UTC)

This article is a clear BLP violation under WP:UNDUE
Due to the extreme length of what is a relatively minor controversy, this article is a clear WP:BLP violation due to WP:UNDUE. I am considering removing the entire section on the Raucci case and limiting it to a single sentence, in an effort to help this biography be closer to what it should be. Your thoughts?--Jimbo Wales (talk) 14:30, 20 April 2010 (UTC)

Other editors have taken up the torch and removed some of the offending material. So ends round two. The third round should be interesting...
+Quote Post
the fieryangel

the Internet Review Corporation is watching you...

Member No.: 577

QUOTE(carbuncle @ Tue 20th April 2010, 7:35pm) *

Other editors have taken up the torch and removed some of the offending material. So ends round two. The third round should be interesting...

What I want to know is why is this so important to Bearian (T-C-L-K-R-D) ? He's obviously got an ax to grind here....and I'm wondering what his hidden motivation might be?
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

QUOTE(carbuncle @ Tue 20th April 2010, 2:35pm) *

Sorry to state the obvious, but this is why "default to delete" for "no consensus" AfD's on BLP articles was a good idea.

It's better than it was, but this article really shouldn't exist at all... Schenectady, NY isn't big or prominent enough to warrant this kind of attention for a school superintendent. Maybe one of the 50 largest cities in the world, I could sort of see that maybe - but not Schenectady.
+Quote Post
Eva Destruction

Fat Cat

QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Tue 20th April 2010, 8:43pm) *

QUOTE(carbuncle @ Tue 20th April 2010, 7:35pm) *

What I want to know is why is this so important to Bearian (T-C-L-K-R-D) ? He's obviously got an ax to grind here....and I'm wondering what his hidden motivation might be?

From his userpage, he lives in upstate NY; it's probably just that he knows the guy. Or, it could just be that it's a Big Deal in the local paper there, and he's made the mistake of assuming the rest of the world gives a shit.

This is the guy who recently claimed WR had "outed him", despite this thread being the first time he's even been mentioned here, FWIW. I'm not sure I'd take anything he says very seriously.
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Tue 20th April 2010, 2:52pm) *
From his userpage, he lives in upstate NY; it's probably just that he knows the guy. Or, it could just be that it's a Big Deal in the local paper there, and he's made the mistake of assuming the rest of the world gives a shit.

Sometimes that's all it takes... (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/bored.gif)

Specifically, he says he lives in Albany, and Schenectady is only about 15 miles north of there. I'm guessing (based on the photo) that he's in his mid-40's, so he could conceivably have kids (or maybe nieces/nephews) in high school up there, possibly even the one with the nasty facilities manager in question (the one Eric Ely "knew about") - though that wouldn't be a requirement, obviously.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Tue 20th April 2010, 3:52pm) *
This is the guy who recently claimed WR had "outed him", despite this thread being the first time he's even been mentioned here, FWIW. I'm not sure I'd take anything he says very seriously.

Maybe he's confusing WR with Brandt's web site? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)