FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
There's Copy Rights, There's Copy Wrongs -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> There's Copy Rights, There's Copy Wrongs, And Then There's Mutant Randroid Clones
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Sat 12th December 2009, 4:24pm) *
The thrust of my assertion is not merely that Dubya³ allows isolated individuals to becomes as vapid as they wish to be — I am saying that there is an amplified entropism, a grubitational distraction, a selective devolutionary pressure that is dragging the whole mass of participants down into the depths, even those who are governed by other wishes, even those who resist as best they can.

I really, really hate to play Devil's Advocate, but certain hardcore WP'ers actually do have a point about the worldwide overextension of copyrights. Their solution, which is to grow a collection of low-quality public-domain content from the ground up, isn't the optimal one or even a good one, but in the face of corporate near-control of the political process required to "liberate" older works from the copyright system, it's something publishers should have predicted before they started demanding the extensions. (Of course, that would have required long-term thinking.)

In reality, it seems to be a case of a few large 'n' greedy megacorps (Disney and Time-Warner, for example) holding everything else hostage because of their demands to control everything they currently hold in near-perpetuity, and publishers like the Encyclopedia Britannica just coming along for the ride.

I doubt it's as significant an effect on the intelligence of the general public as, say, the anesthetization of people by a constant barrage of trivialized and sensationalized TV and other mass-media... But if we grant the possibility that much of the user-generated content we're concerned with here (not just Wikipedia) wouldn't have been necessary to set up in the first place if copyrights weren't being blanket-extended to ridiculous lengths, then it's probably worth mentioning, IMO.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)