FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
High School kid who pretends to be a cop up for CU? -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> High School kid who pretends to be a cop up for CU?, ...and ArbCom asked him to stump???
the fieryangel

the Internet Review Corporation is watching you...

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 577

The good sire Tarantino, who is currently away, has apparently discovered a very interesting situation involving Tiptoety (T-C-L-K-R-D) who has been asked by Arbcom to stand for the Check User elections. Since he is a clerk at Wikipedia Sockpuppet investigations, this might seem like a reasonable nomination. However it would seem that Mr. Tiptoety has a rather...how shall we say?....strong interest in law enforcement in general, sometimes to the point of pretending to be a police officer, even though he appears to be in High school (or at least, was at the time of his adminstration nom.):

# Strong support Seen this user around many times while doing vandalism reverts. I would like to see a police officer be an admin on Wikipedia. NHRHS2010 talk 10:33, 2 November 2007 (UTC)

Comment I've always been curious, since it appears the user is still in high school (I could be wrong about that), in what capacity he serves as a police officer (this is per the userbox on his user page). Tiptoety, could you clarify that? Katr67 11:23, 2 November 2007 (UTC)

Comment More than that, it would appear that this user is also an emergency responder - seems bizzare to be both, and still in high school (by the looks of things). Having said that, I would certainly like to hear why NHRHS2010 thinks that we need a police officer as an admin on Wikipedia. A police officer, in my opinion, won't necessarily make any better an admin than (for want of a better expression) a normal person. TheIslander 13:19, 2 November 2007 (UTC)

Comment: If either of you have any evidence or proof that he is, indeed, a high school student, hadn't you best provide it here rather than simply making it seem as though Tiptoety is fabricating his identity? Otherwise it would seem you're derailing this RFA with non-issues that could sway people in their support or dissent. Thank you. Jeffpw 13:29, 2 November 2007 (UTC)

Whilst I totally agree with Jeffpw that this does not seem to be helpful in terms of this RfA, it is hard to reconcile this diff [1] with the assertions of being a law enforcement officer. Normally the police don't get grounded by their parents ...... Pedro : Chat 13:39, 2 November 2007 (UTC)

Comment Quite right, Jeffpw, I should have cited what Pedro just has. Appologies. TheIslander 14:15, 2 November 2007 (UTC)

Comment - I admit that dif is disconcerting. That said, it could have been a joke. Until Tiptoety is here to answer for himself, I am giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming he was being playful when he put that on his page. Naturally, if it turns out he has misrepresented who he is, I will withdraw my support. Not for his age (I know other teen admins here who do a great job), but for the misrepresentation. Jeffpw 14:24, 2 November 2007 (UTC)

Okay, i am a student in a high school, but also serve as an employee of the Police Bureau as a Law Enforcement Cadet. I looked for a userbox that would state that but was un-able to find, so i used the next best thing. A police cadet does the same things as a police offices, except they are under 21 which means no gun, and can not operate and emergency vehicle with lights and sirens. Take a look here: [2]. Cheers! Tiptoety 14:34, 2 November 2007 (UTC)

Thank you for clearing that up, Tiptoety. I was sure there must be some logical explanation for that. You seemed to have too strong an ethical code to have lied to the community. If you need help making a police cadet userbox, hit me up. It goes without saying you have my continued support for this nomination. Jeffpw 14:40, 2 November 2007 (UTC)

Comment Yes, thank you Tiptoety for clearing that up. I figured it was something like that, judging by your interest in search and rescue. I in no way meant to imply that being in high school is a reason to oppose, nor was I saying you attempted to misrepresent yourself on purpose. It is bothersome to know, however, you don't know enough about wikicoding to perhaps "subst" the userbox and then change the text to more appropriately reflect your status. Katr67 15:29, 2 November 2007 (UTC)

Comment Echoed - thanks for clearing that up, Tiptoety. Having said that, I still wonder about the Emergency Responder box... TheIslander 16:47, 2 November 2007 (UTC)

Response - Thank you to everyone who understood the situation! I am glad that is cleared up, and have fixed the userbox issue on my userpage. On the topic of the first responder box, I am indeed a first responder (it stems from my work with Search and Rescue). Cheers! Tiptoety 18:50, 2 November 2007 (UTC)

In case anyone's in any doubt, Tiptoey has always been clear on this and isn't trying to mislead anyone - see this conversation for example. — iridescent 19:17, 2 November 2007 (UTC)

Tiptoey I'm concerned by this "A police cadet does the same things as a police offices" which I highly doubt. Without going through the DPSST I doubt you can arrest anyone as a cadet (other than citizens arrest) or issue citations. Is this correct? Aboutmovies 19:33, 2 November 2007 (UTC)

Is this really relevant anymore to this RfA? It's been cleared up that he wasn't intentionally misleading anyone, if you wish to argue what a police cadet can and can not do, wouldn't it be better to use email, or a talk page instead? KnowledgeOfSelf | talk 23:45, 2 November 2007 (UTC)

No it has not been cleared up. This user has a history of misrepresentation (I don’t care if its intentional or not) including where in the oppose section someone pointed out this user did this which is far more troubling than the userbox issue. But Tiptoey says it was a misunderstanding, but says they are basically a cop minus a gun. I don’t think that’s true. Simply put, Tiptoey made a mistake, now he just needs own up to it completely. It’s the same thing as the copyvio issue. He’s trying to wriggle around it and make it seem not so bad, which is not owning up to the problem. Own up to the problem, reform, and come back to RFA in a few months. And I’m not sure why you think this was resolved. The only action in this thread of the RFA contributed by Tiptoey since their comment I quoted, is that he removed the user box, that doesn’t address the other claim of being a police officer made by this RFA candidate, which seems to continue when you make comments about cadets being cops minus a gun. Aboutmovies 00:09, 3 November 2007 (UTC)

How is this relevant to this RfA? That is what I am asking. How is the difference between being a cadet and an actual police officer relevant to this RfA? KnowledgeOfSelf | talk 00:42, 3 November 2007 (UTC)

It's (possibly weakly) relevant 'cause it shows trust issues. There was confusion as to how a high school person could be a Police Officer, and Tiptoety cleared that up. However, since that things have surfaced where Tiptoety has claimed to be a Police Officer, yet he states here that he is not. There are definite honesty issues here, which is why this is being discussed. TheIslander 01:19, 3 November 2007 (UTC)

It is relevant because as many people have pointed out, can Tiptoey be trusted with the tools.?To analyze this you start with the editors trustworthiness. The above issues demonstrate their are issues with that trustworthiness. Note, its not that there is from a WikiPedia editing difference, anything relevant to cop vs. cadet. It has to do with Tiptoey's response to this issue of misrepresenting himself as a police officer, and then when called on it trying to mitigate it by saying, well I'm a cadet so the only difference is I don't have a gun so really its no big deal. Yes, it is a big deal. I don't know about you but I don't go around WikiPedia telling people/implying to others that I'm a lawyer, when really I'm a law student. First it's border line illegal (impersonating a law enforcement officer is usually illegal), and second what good does it do for the project? Look, we all make mistakes, but if you want to be an admin you better own up to those mistakes, whether that be copyvio issues or saying you are a cop when you are not. Notice below the person who added the info about the claim of being a cop is apparently a law enforcement person, so I'll take their word that their is serious issue and difference with cadet v. cop. Aboutmovies 05:09, 3 November 2007 (UTC)

Then the response to this issue has been (at least to me) more of a trying to avoid responsibility That raises issues of trust, and that is obviously related to being an admin.

Ummm, I still don't get it, maybe it's how we are interpreting this section of the discussion, but Tiptoety states "I looked for a userbox that would state that but was un-able to find, so i used the next best thing." Also in this conversation he states that he is a cadet. So he couldn't find the correct userbox, that makes him untrustworthy? He made a mistake with adding content that was a copyvio. Mistakes happen, people are human. I dunno, this is just my 2 cents, but it seems like your consistent issue about this is very overbearing. He's made some mistakes, if you choose to oppose because of them that is your prerogative. But you seem to be making a big deal over the comment "A police cadet does the same things as a police offices, except they are under 21 which means no gun." What does that have to do with this RfA? I just don't get it. KnowledgeOfSelf | talk 06:12, 3 November 2007 (UTC)

I'm not sure whether it's relevant to this RFA or not, but in terms of the link above where Tiptoety says "I am a police officer" -- Tiptoety, please don't do that anymore. It's well-intentioned, but misleading. I don't think it reflects on your honesty or anything like that (particularly since you're kinda like a police officer), but it's a bad idea for a variety of reasons. That said, I haven't had the pleasure of meeting the candidate on here, so I'm not expressing any opinion of the RFA (and from all accounts he seems like a good guy). --TheOtherBob 18:39, 3 November 2007 (UTC)

No you don't seem to get it, its not about the userbox, its about his responses after the userbox part was "fixed" if you will. Note, again, there are two instances where it appears Tiptoey has represented he is a cop, the userbox, and far more troubling the Admin noticboard incident. Those are both mistakes, and the problem I have is Tiptoey's response to the community's concerns about the userbox, and more importantly the second incident. I asked a simple question, you have decided that you wanted to say its not relevant, all I want is a response from the candidate. Now if you really want to analyze the userbox, its not that he couldn't find the right userbox, its how he responded to the concern, oh its no big deal since a cadet is really just a cop without a gun. Well a private citizen is really just a cop without the authority, but if I misrepresent that I am a cop when I am not, then I get a free ticket to jail. So the problem I have is that Tiptoey was trying to downplay these misrepresentations, instead of owning up to the mistakes. Changing the userbox is the first step, but this comes across as very insincere when you try to downplay the problem. Aboutmovies 21:15, 3 November 2007 (UTC)

Aboutmovies's comment was below mine, but I'm pretty sure it responds to the one above mine. To be clear, I don't hold any opinion here other than that Tiptoety shouldn't claim to be a police officer until he is one. --TheOtherBob 21:37, 3 November 2007 (UTC)

From IP information gleaned from Wikipedia Watch and Sam Spade, which I won't go into here, it would appear that Tiptoety has a history of making claims about being a law enforcement officer on other sites.

Now, does Wikipedia really want a younger kid who has obviously has a law enforcement fetish to handle this type of serious information? I see red lights going off all over the place here and this person seems to me to be the very last person who should have access to CU tools on the English Wikipedia.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
the fieryangel   High School kid who pretends to be a cop up for CU?  
EricBarbour   It's good that his nomination is questioned. ...  
Ahypori   It's good that his nomination is questioned. ...  
Peter Damian   And let's not forget this http://en.wikipedia...  
the fieryangel   Off of Tiptoety's nomination statement : S...  
GlassBeadGame   Off of Tiptoety's nomination statement : ...  
sbrown   a high school student (is he a minor too?) Doesnt...  
MBisanz   [quote name='the fieryangel' post='185764' date='...  
GlassBeadGame   [quote name='the fieryangel' post='185764' date=...  
EricBarbour   Voting starts July 28, AFAICT. And apparently any...  
Kelly Martin   From IP information gleaned from Wikipedia Watch a...  
Grep   ... their obligations to the Wikipedia community ...  
EricBarbour   And in passing, let's talk about Stifle. Igno...  
EricBarbour   Fieryangel: care to share more about Tiptoety...  
Kelly Martin   Fieryangel: care to share more about Tiptoety...  
MZMcBride   [quote name='EricBarbour' post='185774' date='Sat...  
the fieryangel   Fieryangel: care to share more about Tiptoety...  
Cock-up-over-conspiracy   This name has posted on quite a few LE forums sayi...  
Somey   Uh-oh ... Hold on. You are saying he is a real p...  
Cock-up-over-conspiracy   From, Tiptoety here ... Do local police departme...  
Kelly Martin   Do local police departments in the US really care ...  
A Horse With No Name   And in passing, let's talk about Stifle. Ple...  
Cock-up-over-conspiracy   A teenage kid who enjoys dressing up in uniform an...  
Milton Roe   A teenage kid who enjoys dressing up in uniform a...  
Grep   Perhaps the effete Old Country has something to sa...  
Viridae   And in passing, let's talk about Stifle. Pl...  
Nerd   It would be a good idea to keep all election stuff...  
Grep   I mean, who is he to judge who gets what? Is ther...  
taiwopanfob   I mean, who is he to judge who gets what? Is the...  
A Horse With No Name   I have never heard of a U.S. police department whe...  
Kelly Martin   I have never heard of a U.S. police department whe...  
A Horse With No Name   I have never heard of a U.S. police department wh...  
Kelly Martin   I think this character is unfit for any job that r...  
A Horse With No Name   I think this character is unfit for any job that ...  
Nerd   Dan Rosenthal is a f**king idiot. I feel terrible...  
Cla68   I have never heard of a U.S. police department wh...  
LaraLove   It's good that his nomination is questioned. ...  
Kelly Martin   He's already on the Wikimedia Black Ops Team (...  
Cock-up-over-conspiracy   He's already on the Wikimedia Black Ops Team ...  
Sarcasticidealist   Is it the same as screenshots, here?Pretty much.  
tarantino   According to Nathan, Tip toe Tyler is now a cop. ...  
RMHED   According to Nathan, Tip toe Tyler is now a cop. ...  
Eva Destruction   [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wi...  
sbrown   Open proxy. I suspect tarantino knows all about ...  
Cock-up-over-conspiracy   I would not give this more than 5 minutes - as the...  
No one of consequence   [quote name='tarantino' post='186604' date='Thu 3...  
Cock-up-over-conspiracy   People are generally rightly skeptical of the hous...  
Peter Damian   But is it worth clarifying the cop claim to close...  
No one of consequence   The 'housemate' rationale makes it uncert...  
Peter Damian   Huh? An explorer post is something like scouting...  
Eva Destruction   [quote name='No one of consequence' post='186683'...  
dogbiscuit   [quote name='Peter Damian' post='186740' date='Fr...  
Peter Damian   [quote name='No one of consequence' post='186683...  
Cock-up-over-conspiracy   What does, "I am ''affiliated'...  
A Horse With No Name   What does, "I am ''affiliated'...  
GlassBeadGame   [quote name='Cock-up-over-conspira...  
Achromatic   [quote name='Cock-up-over-conspir...  
Achromatic   According to Nathan, Tip toe Tyler is now a cop. ...  
Kelly Martin   Of course Tip Toe himself still hasn't confirm...  
Achromatic   There are actually cops who get summer breaks: ty...  
Kelly Martin   And I think the mentioning of Explorer's posts...  
Anonymous editor   There have been enough abuses to oppose zis guy ev...  
GlassBeadGame   There have been enough abuses to oppose zis guy e...  
Cock-up-over-conspiracy   Cock, that was a funny image. Why thank you ... bu...  
Anonymous editor   We have a term for people like this in the ham ra...  
Achromatic   Apropos of anything else, history and otherwise, T...  
Kelly Martin   I can at least give him credit for clearing the ai...  
Anonymous editor   I can at least give him credit for clearing the a...  
Moulton   I suspect he means he has an "affinity" ...  
GlassBeadGame   Lar seems to have given up on any effort to do the...  
Lar   Lar seems to have given up on any effort to do th...  
MZMcBride   Perhaps Wikiversity can start teaching courses on ...  
Grep   I suppose the question is not "What sort of p...  
GlassBeadGame   I suppose the question is not "What sort of ...  
Kelly Martin   I suppose the question is not "What sort of p...  
Grep   I suppose the question is not "What sort of ...  
Kelly Martin   I'm taking my cue from the questions they ask ...  
EricBarbour   Just curious....anyone seen this yet? Looks like i...  
One   Just curious....anyone seen this yet? Looks like ...  
GlassBeadGame   [quote name='EricBarbour' post='187233' date='Mon...  
Milton Roe   Just curious....anyone seen this yet? Looks like ...  
Nerd   [quote name='EricBarbour' post='187233' date='Sun...  
tarantino   Just curious....anyone seen this yet? Looks like ...  
The Adversary   [quote name='EricBarbour' post='187233' date='Sun...  
EricBarbour   It's not Proab, and they've got HK wrong...  
Somey   It's not Proab, and they've got HK wrong. ...  
Castle Rock   It's not Proab, and they've got HK wrong....  
tarantino   It could be almost anyone, I suppose... I thin...  
Moulton   It could be almost anyone, I suppose... I think it...  
tarantino   [quote name='tarantino' post='187280' date='Mon 3...  
Moulton   [quote name='tarantino' post='187280' date='Mon 3r...  
Somey   Somey and I have never compared notes (i.e. eviden...  
Moulton   Somey and I have never compared notes (i.e. eviden...  
the fieryangel   This guy really wants those CU tools badly: He...  
GlassBeadGame   This guy really wants those CU tools badly: He...  
the fieryangel   [quote name='the fieryangel' post='217622' date='...  
Lar   Commons is different than en:wp. Some things are n...  
SB_Johnny   Commons is different than en:wp. Some things are ...  
Lar   Commons is different than en:wp. Some things are...  
SB_Johnny   [quote name='SB_Johnny' post='217663' date='Sun 2...  
Kwork   [quote name='the fieryangel' post='217622' date=...  
the fieryangel   Less drama? Thats news to me. But administrators ...  
Kwork   Less drama? Thats news to me. But administrators...  
Lar   I would not pretend that Lar and I are on good te...  
Eva Destruction   [quote name='Kwork' post='217741' date='Mon 25th ...  
Sarcasticidealist   [/list]Maybe I should set up as the Wikipedia to E...  
Eva Destruction   [quote name='Eva Destruction' post='217879' date=...  
Anonymous editor   Some good Tarantino-type sleuthing reveals Tipto...  
Cock-up-over-conspiracy   Just curious....anyone seen this yet? Ha. I had no...  
Moulton   Anyone seen [url=http://wikihell.blogspot.com/2009...  
Robster   From Tiptoety's user page, with linky goodness...  
Anonymous editor   I'm horrified at the number of times the blogg...  
SB_Johnny   Ugh.  
Rick   That greedy bastard has struck again - not only is...  
Theanima   That greedy bastard has struck again - now he...  
Cock-up-over-conspiracy   He's doing well, too. The incident with the co...  
Ottava   That greedy bastard has struck again - not only i...  
A Horse With No Name   He is better looking than I expected. I hate t...  
Ottava   He is better looking than I expected. I hate ...  
Milton Roe   [quote name='Ottava' post='232692' date='Thu 22nd...  
EricBarbour   http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll191/Shrlocc/E...  
BelovedFox   [quote name='Milton Roe' post='232783' date='Fri ...  
A Horse With No Name   I think that the Meetups I've been to have gen...  
BelovedFox   I think that the Meetups I've been to have ge...  
A Horse With No Name   Really, Horsey, you're getting your hopes up...  
NotARepublican55   The good sire Tarantino, who is currently away, h...  
Rick   Now he's in the newest CU election. Fucking je...  
Rick   And I've heard that he's abused his Oversi...  
Cock-up-over-conspiracy   And I've heard that he's abused his Oversi...  
EricBarbour   No, he is wonderful and doing a wonder job in this...  
Theanima   And I've heard that he's abused his Overs...  
ulsterman   And I've heard that he's abused his Overs...  
Kelly Martin   We would surely agree with some of the "keep...  
ulsterman   We would surely agree with some of the "keep...  
Rick   "You mean ... YOU WANT PEOPLE TO THINK ... he...  
Cock-up-over-conspiracy   Nonsense. Who are you anyway? Do you have anything...  
Rick   Thank God he didn't win the second CU election...  
Killiondude   Thank God he didn't win the second CU electio...  
Rick   Thank God he didn't win the second CU electi...  
Zoloft   [quote name='Killiondude' post='238446' date='Mon...  
Cock-up-over-conspiracy   Of course I don't like him. If you had read al...  
Rick   Well, it looks like that greedy bastard has finall...  
Cock-up-over-conspiracy   There is no word that can accurately describe my o...  
Moulton   That which cannot be expressed in words must be pa...  
Cock-up-over-conspiracy   Oh, I see he is a clerk for Arbcom too ... so you ...  
A Horse With No Name   Oh, I see he is a clerk for Arbcom too ... so you...  
SB_Johnny   Rick, if you go out and get yourself a blow job, y...  
Kevin   Rick, if you go out and get yourself a blow job, ...  
A Horse With No Name   Rick, if you go out and get yourself a blow job,...  
Cock-up-over-conspiracy   Tiptoety gives blowjobs? That's a great rumor...  
EricBarbour   The Wikipedian libertarians REALLY trusts a cop wi...  
wikieyeay   so how is it that if you search google for 'ti...  
Zoloft   so how is it that if you search google for 't...  
Alison   [quote name='wikieyeay' post='255058' date='Mon 4...  
NuclearWarfare   [quote name='wikieyeay' post='255058' date='Mon ...  
EricBarbour   I'm confused. Does Jeremy really think that ev...  
Text   Corrupt cop versus berserk rebel. The corrupt c...  
Cock-up-over-conspiracy   Corrupt cop versus berserk rebel. Is he a cop yet?...  
Text   Cop figuratively, as in Internet Officer. Probl...  
Rick   THAT BLOODY BASTARD! I see that he has now bec...  
EricBarbour   THAT BLOODY BASTARD! I see that he has now bec...  
A Horse With No Name   Tiptoety, I wish you would fucking die already. ...  
Zoloft   Talking in the third person about oneself is a bi...  
bambi   Here is his Facebook profile. I had to be logged ...  
Lar   I see that he finally made hivemind. Wonder how ...  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)