FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Leapfrogging MediaWiki -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Leapfrogging MediaWiki, sick of it
Emperor

Postmaster

Group: Regulars

I'm getting the feeling that MediaWiki is long past its prime. It's 11 years old. Asking people to do [[ ]] just to get a link is barbaric. Images should be drag and drop. References should be easier. This is getting ridiculous.

They keep talking about making editing easier but it's only getting more and more difficult. Wikipedia is infested with templates and complicated code that normal people don't understand. The source code is barely human-readable anymore.

So what's next? I'd really like to get a jump on Wikipedia, take Encyc to the next level before Jimmy and co. get there. I know content is king but the interface is so antiquated... it's just begging for someone to blow past it at this point. The community with all its inertia is going to drag Wikipedia down, hold it back for a long time. It's 2012, not 2007. Wikipedia is very vulnerable. The only question is how.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)