FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
The Founder as Editor -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> The Founder as Editor
timbo

Group: Contributors

Let me make this clear from the top: I'm not a Jimmy Wales hater. He's actually a fairly effective high profile administrator and fundraiser. I think his personal politics are sketchy, but he came from the South and I'm enough of a Wikipedian to be able to Assume Good Faith. At least a little. That said, I've recently come across something that will bring such entertainment to The Haters that it seems criminal not to share it. Jimmy Wales, it seems, is a very poor Content Creator.

The Edit Count function shows a person spending more than half his edits on his own User Talk page, which is without precedent or equal, I presume: PIE CHART

Now look closely: That's 1,536 edits to mainspace, from the beginning of The Project to the moment I'm posting this piece of crap WR bit more than a decade later. Wrap your head around that. 1,500 edits is about a month and a half's worth of work for a dedicated Content Creator...

Now here's where it gets fun. Take a peek at the ARTICLES CREATED read-out...

Exactly 22 pieces created, since the time of the lowest low-hanging fruit in 2001 to this day. Isn't that a little mindblowing?

The one I like best is this: Jimmy Wales is the originator of the Wikipedia article on the M-16 rifle!

But wait, there's more. Here's the way he left it, back on my birthday in 2001: DA LINK

That would be speedy deleted out the door under some pretext or another today...

Obviously, standards have changed since then, but it is a bit of a comical thing, is it not?

Bottom line: Jimmy Wales may be the founder (and may or may not be a swell person), but him taking credit for Wikpedia is a little like a guy who used to use red spray paint on craft projects in his garage in Akron taking credit for the custom paintjob on a 2012 Porsche.

tim

This post has been edited by timbo:
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)