FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Week-Long Block, No Warning -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Help

This forum is for discussing specific Wikipedia editors, editing patterns, and general efforts by those editors to influence or direct content in ways that might not be in keeping with Wikipedia policy. Please source your claims and provide links where appropriate. For a glossary of terms frequently used when discussing Wikipedia and related projects, please refer to Wikipedia:Glossary.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Week-Long Block, No Warning, And MONGO rises to challenge...
jd turk

Group: Contributors

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Adm...rown_Dog_affair

Seems like Viridae just locked this one down without a lot of warning. Crum only had three edits to the page in the last four days (and looked like he was also posting to the talk page), and he got slapped down for a week.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Viridae

Fat Cat

Group: Regulars

Did you notice the revert by crum going back nearly a month perchance??? NO I thought you didn't. He most definitely knew what he was doing.
+Quote Post
Proabivouac

Bane of all wikiland

QUOTE(Viridae @ Sat 12th July 2008, 1:56am) *

Did you notice the revert by crum going back nearly a month perchance??? NO I thought you didn't. He most definitely knew what he was doing.

Crum's block log for previous edit warring is unconvincing - one dates to 2006, and the other would have better been characterized as principled but misguided disruption. It seems probable that someone will reduce the block to the same 48 hours that Para received.
+Quote Post
Gold heart

Lean duck!

Group: Inactive

QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Sat 12th July 2008, 3:02am) *

Crum's block log for previous edit warring is unconvincing - one dates to 2006, and the other would have better been characterized as principled but misguided disruption. It seems probable that someone will reduce the block to the same 48 hours that Para received.

Blocks shouldn't be done on a whim, as they add to editors "block logs", and then they are cited again and again months, and even years afterwards. A bit like a "bad record".

Talk about "giving a dog a bad name"! Ugh! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/huh.gif)
+Quote Post
Viridae

Fat Cat

Hardly a whim...

Can this be appropriately merged please.
+Quote Post
jd turk

QUOTE(Viridae @ Fri 11th July 2008, 8:56pm) *

No, I did. It's still not enough evidence to block him for a week with no warning, especially when he hadn't edited the page in ten hours, and just three times in the last four days. If blocking is only used for protection and not punishment, it seems a simple warning would have sufficed (even though both editors were familiar with the concept).

+Quote Post
Gold heart

Lean duck!

Group: Inactive

QUOTE(Viridae @ Sat 12th July 2008, 3:25am) *

QUOTE(Gold heart @ Sat 12th July 2008, 3:14am) *

QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Sat 12th July 2008, 3:02am) *

Blocks shouldn't be done on a whim, as they add to editors "block logs", and then they are cited again and again months, and even years afterwards. A bit like a "bad record".

Talk about "giving a dog a bad name"! Ugh! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/huh.gif)

Hardly a whim...

Can this be appropriately merged please.

Just generalising. Couldn't resist the pun. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
Viridae

Fat Cat

QUOTE(jd turk @ Sat 12th July 2008, 12:42pm) *

QUOTE(Viridae @ Fri 11th July 2008, 8:56pm) *

No, I did. It's still not enough evidence to block him for a week with no warning, especially when he hadn't edited the page in ten hours, and just three times in the last four days. If blocking is only used for protection and not punishment, it seems a simple warning would have sufficed (even though both editors were familiar with the concept).

He had reverted warred for nearly a month, against 4 different people, citing a talk page consensus that didn't exist? A warning shouldnt be required to tell an established editor that they are way out of line.
+Quote Post
Aloft

Please stop trying to cause trouble!

x-posted, sorry

For the people saying that Viridae should have warned first, check out this diff from Crum concerning this very situation, with the edit summary of "no need for warning for experienced editors"

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=224250230
QUOTE(Crum375)
3RR warnings are only needed for novice editors, and this one is an experienced one. He also declined the encouragement to self-revert by reverting it with an insulting edit summary. [[User:Crum375|Crum375]] 00:13, 8 July 2008 (UTC)

This was in the 3RR report for Para a few days ago. So there you go, Crum himself has said that a warning isn't necessary.
+Quote Post
jd turk

QUOTE(Viridae @ Fri 11th July 2008, 9:46pm) *

He had reverted warred for nearly a month, against 4 different people, citing a talk page consensus that didn't exist? A warning shouldnt be required to tell an established editor that they are way out of line.

Likewise, a week-long block against an established editor shouldn't just come out of the blue.

You say this wasn't on a whim, but how else would you describe it? It doesn't seem like you were on this article trying to help establish consensus or trying to sort through things, it looks like you just surfed on and blocked both sides with no warning and no discussion, even though the debate wasn't even active.

QUOTE(Aloft @ Fri 11th July 2008, 9:47pm) *

This was in the 3RR report for Para a few days ago. So there you go, Crum himself has said that a warning isn't necessary.

I'll agree with both of you, a warning isn't necessary. However, it seems like a courtesy to issue a warning to both editors in a cold edit war before slamming the door on them for multiple days. If this is such a big deal and has been a huge problem for a month, why did it get this far?

Just looks bad, that's all I'm sayin'.
+Quote Post
Viridae

Fat Cat

QUOTE(jd turk @ Sat 12th July 2008, 12:54pm) *

QUOTE(Viridae @ Fri 11th July 2008, 9:46pm) *

Likewise, a week-long block against an established editor shouldn't just come out of the blue.

You say this wasn't on a whim, but how else would you describe it? It doesn't seem like you were on this article trying to help establish consensus or trying to sort through things, it looks like you just surfed on and blocked both sides with no warning and no discussion, even though the debate wasn't even active.

QUOTE(Aloft @ Fri 11th July 2008, 9:47pm) *

I'll agree with both of you, a warning isn't necessary. However, it seems like a courtesy to issue a warning to both editors in a cold edit war before slamming the door on them for multiple days. If this is such a big deal and has been a huge problem for a month, why did it get this far?

Just looks bad, that's all I'm sayin'.

How is a block out of the blue when it follows a month of edit warring?
+Quote Post
jd turk

QUOTE(Viridae @ Fri 11th July 2008, 10:06pm) *

How is a block out of the blue when it follows a month of edit warring?

If I may ask, how did you find this edit war, just for future reference?

It seems that Crum has made more than a few edits to the talk page in that month, which seems to me to be showing good faith. You say he was making edits based on what he thought/said was the consensus. I don't think a week-long block on somebody who was discussing things on the talk page is appropriate, not without at least discussing where their pattern of editing is violating policy. Discuss, gain consensus, make changes. That seems to be what he was trying to do, or at least was trying to give the illusion of doing. Either way, it seems like it deserves more than just a drive-by week-long block.

In all fairness, I haven't looked at the edits for Para. It was just the length of the block on Crum that stood out to me.
+Quote Post
Aloft

QUOTE(jd turk @ Fri 11th July 2008, 10:13pm) *
Discuss, gain consensus, make changes.
That's fine, except Crum was leaving out the "gain consensus" step. He reverted four other people, and only Slim agreed with him on the talk page, despite his "per talk" claims.. Reverting ten times in that situation is clearly not acting in accordance with policy.

He knew better, he did it anyway, and his actions over the past month clearly indicated that he wasn't going to stop until someone stepped in and prevented him from doing it again.
+Quote Post
jd turk

QUOTE(Aloft @ Fri 11th July 2008, 10:23pm) *

He knew better, he did it anyway, and his actions over the past month clearly indicated that he wasn't going to stop until someone stepped in and prevented him from doing it again.

Bang. That's Wikipedia Justice. Some scofflaw was talking things over and it didn't seem like he was getting the message, so rather than discuss it, you just drop a week-long ban on a longtime editor.

I thought blocks were to protect, and not to punish. A page protection or a 1RR notice could have served the same purpose, couldn't it? Just curious.
+Quote Post
Viridae

Fat Cat

QUOTE(jd turk @ Sat 12th July 2008, 1:43pm) *

QUOTE(Aloft @ Fri 11th July 2008, 10:23pm) *

Bang. That's Wikipedia Justice. Some scofflaw was talking things over and it didn't seem like he was getting the message, so rather than discuss it, you just drop a week-long ban on a longtime editor.

I thought blocks were to protect, and not to punish. A page protection or a 1RR notice could have served the same purpose, couldn't it? Just curious.

Page protection removes the ability of everyone else to edit the page as well. The blocks are protectionist and the length of time is based on the length of time spent edit warring on the article as well as the knowledge that they are both experience users and should have known better.
+Quote Post
jd turk

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=225155133

Three and a half hours of unproductive discussion later, both blocks are lifted.
+Quote Post
Aloft

Reverting to begin again shortly.
+Quote Post
jd turk

QUOTE(Aloft @ Sat 12th July 2008, 12:21am) *

The good faith assumed here is overwhelming.
+Quote Post
Aloft

Why would I assume good faith?
+Quote Post
gomi

Group: Members

QUOTE(jd turk @ Fri 11th July 2008, 10:23pm) *

QUOTE(Aloft @ Sat 12th July 2008, 12:21am) *

The good faith assumed here is overwhelming.

Wikipedia's "Assume Good Faith" rubric is one of the more ridiculous charades in the place. We are not bound by it here.

If we had a silly set of useless rules, ours would likely be something like "Assume Reality" -- obviously not a sentiment that would travel far on WP.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)