FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
New Israel/Palestine ArbCom case -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Israel/Palestine ArbCom case, Jayjg is one of the parties? No way!
Rating  3
Cla68

Postmaster

Group: Regulars

It appears that this request for arbitration concerning the use of POV geographical terms for disputed territory in the Israel/Palestine area will be accepted. If G-Dett's statement is correct, and I believe that it is, I think she'll be making a strong case in her evidence section that at least some of the pro-Israel POV-pushers are acting in bad faith. It appears to me that the pro-Israel editors will try to focus on labeling MeteorMaker as the Bozo.

If G-Dett makes her case, and I believe she will, I hope that ArbCom will put their foot down and hand out some topic bans, if not more severe sanctions if necessary. Although I'm sure that not all of the pro-Palestinian editors are blameless, the continuous, arrogant POV pushing by the pro-Israel editors, including one in particular who is still enjoys high-level admin privileges for some reason, is greatly damaging to Wikipedia's credibility and I hope something finally gets done about it.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

Group: Members
Member No.: 130

Very interesting. Typically, Jayjg has not yet deigned to respond. FT2's comments seem remarkably sane, but he may yet warm to the subject.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Thu 26th February 2009, 6:35pm) *

It appears that this request for arbitration concerning the use of POV geographical terms for disputed territory in the Israel/Palestine area will be accepted. If G-Dett's statement is correct, and I believe that it is, I think she'll be making a strong case in her evidence section that at least some of the pro-Israel POV-pushers are acting in bad faith. It appears to me that the pro-Israel editors will try to focus on labeling MeteorMaker as the Bozo.

If G-Dett makes her case, and I believe she will, I hope that ArbCom will put their foot down and hand out some topic bans, if not more severe sanctions if necessary. Although I'm sure that not all of the pro-Palestinian editors are blameless, the continuous, arrogant POV pushing by the pro-Israel editors, including one in particular who is still enjoys high-level admin privileges for some reason, is greatly damaging to Wikipedia's credibility and I hope something finally gets done about it.

The very idea of a topic-ban on Jayjg on Middle-East political matters boggles the mind. Is there anything else he knows about? Can one imagine him writing about a tenth of the subjects that encyclopedists like Neutrality or EveryKing or even Charles Matthews have handled? I think the following would happen to him:

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/obliterate.gif)

There would be nothing left but ash.
+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Fri 27th February 2009, 2:45am) *

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Thu 26th February 2009, 6:35pm) *

The very idea of a topic-ban on Jayjg on Middle-East political matters boggles the mind. Is there anything else he knows about? Can one imagine him writing about a tenth of the subjects that encyclopedists like Neutrality or EveryKing or even Charles Matthews have handled? I think the following would happen to him:

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/obliterate.gif)

There would be nothing left but ash.

I doubt that anyone who edits Wikipedia is completely free of bias, including me, but those that knowingly pursue an agenda, especially admins, I believe should be kicked out of their areas of interest as soon as their agendas are discovered, and that includes participation in the article talk pages. I can't think of anything more insidious than Wikipedia admins pushing POV, i.e. using Wikipedia for propaganda purposes, especially admins with checkuser and oversight privileges.

In the past, ArbCom hasn't done very well at dealing with POV-pushing "established" editors or admins. Remember the first Rawat case where the committee praised Jossi for his "use of restraint"? Good grief. Hopefully, times have changed.

A hopeful sign that things have changed is the recent ScienceApologist (SA) case. I understand that some here support SA's efforts to keep fringe-science advocates from pushing their pet theories in Wikipedia. I, however, thought that he should have been more willing to compromise. The Committee apparently felt the same way.

This post has been edited by Cla68:
+Quote Post
gomi

Jayjg's M.O., which I believe he will use in this case, is to go radio-silent, refusing to comment on or provide "evidence" in the RFAR, while furiously lobbying behind the scenes, through the ArbCom mailing list and other channels.

I think the odds of Jayjg being topic-banned, despite his obvious partisan position on the subject, are slim and none. Or should I say, SlimVirgin and none. It would not surprise me if Slim weighs in to carry water for J.

Jay's meatpuppets, notably IronDuke (T-C-L-K-R-D) will, as usual, proxy for him, both in the RFAR and on articles.
+Quote Post
Deacon

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 5,756

I look very much forward to seeing how this case progresses. Does anyone known btw why NYB and FayssalF recused?
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Thu 26th February 2009, 9:33pm) *

I doubt that anyone who edits Wikipedia is completely free of bias, including me, but those that knowingly pursue an agenda, especially admins, I believe should be kicked out of their areas of interest as soon as their agendas are discovered, and that includes participation in the article talk pages. I can't think of anything more insidious than Wikipedia admins pushing POV, i.e. using Wikipedia for propaganda purposes, especially admins with checkuser and oversight privileges.
Me neither.
+Quote Post
the fieryangel

the Internet Review Corporation is watching you...

Member No.: 577

I don't know why anybody bothers to even follow these arbcom cases. Nothing will change over there, ever.
+Quote Post
Dzonatas

*me adds reply about the conflict of ArbCom case on Palestine-Israel conflict and the Wikipedia Hasbara Fellowship*
+Quote Post
LamontStormstar

Postmaster

I remember people speculated Jayjg has now been socking instead of just using meatpuppets. Are any socks of him known yet?
+Quote Post
Dzonatas

I think it is hard to dismiss the fact that Israel has taken more control of the West Bank. The Likud party has even stated that it intend not to allow Arabs into the seized West Bank settlements. Some pro-Israel wikipedians might have attempted to preemptively call those West Bank areas in such a Israel-specific manner.

Those who are against the Likud movement choice of words most likely are being called "anti-semitic," since the pro-Israel group will argue about self-determination. The name-calling is probably much worse than that and undoubtedly for much more vague reasons.

There is much news about the Gaza war being taken online. In such shadow of events, it also cannot be easily dismissed that those Wikipedia pages about the West Bank are part of the conflict being taken online.

As pointed out in an earlier thread, Hasbara is less about the truth and is more out to win public opinion. A preemptive tactic could be seen as complicit with WP:V if it has public support -- even if sources state the truth otherwise. That probability of complicity is high unless WP:V is rewritten to be more distinct.

Whatever decision made about this case is going to reverberate and be a re-beaten path for time to come, as some earlier cases have shown to exist. Given the current adminship and how they are strongly corner-stoned on the current version of WP:V, these wikipedians will try to say they are uninvolved but in reality they are very well involved even if they aren't pro-Israel, as there is unacknowledged shared ideology in the shades of WP:V.

This post has been edited by Dzonatas:
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(Dzonatas @ Sun 1st March 2009, 10:04pm) *

Those who are against the Likud movement choice of words most likely are being called "anti-semitic," since the pro-Israel group will argue about self-determination. The name-calling is probably much worse than that and undoubtedly for much more vague reasons.

Curious about whether or not within Israel, are the various parties in the heat of disagreement about policy always accusing each other of being anti-semitic and being self-hating Jews? Or is this just an American thing?
+Quote Post
Dzonatas

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sun 1st March 2009, 11:00pm) *

Curious about whether or not within Israel, are the various parties in the heat of disagreement about policy always accusing each other of being anti-semitic and being self-hating Jews? Or is this just an American thing?

In disagreement with each other where it is not seen as anti-semitic then the term "anti-Zionist" has been used. It is against Israeli law to be anti-semitic. Such law makes those that aren't 100% pro-Israel to be labeled as anti-semitic, so you can guess that there is a peer pressure, by the existence of such law, to never be caught not being pro-Israel (criminally). To avoid being seen as a criminal, it may lead some to accuse others as being anti-semitic by any means in order to show they follow the law. The U.S. Constitution's Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Religion is often not respected by those that hold that Israeli law above US law, but that disrespect is aimed at individuals. Such individuals that are American have no such peer pressure since there is no equivalent US law, but under accusation these Americans find out what it means when other Americans have said, "they hate us for our Freedoms."

+Quote Post
CharlotteWebb

Postmaster General

QUOTE(Deacon @ Sat 28th February 2009, 10:22pm) *

I look very much forward to seeing how this case progresses. Does anyone known btw why NYB and FayssalF recused?

For opposite reasons, if that makes any sense.
Integrity and self-awareness are the common thread.
+Quote Post
Deacon

Member No.: 5,756

QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Mon 2nd March 2009, 4:02pm) *

QUOTE(Deacon @ Sat 28th February 2009, 10:22pm) *

For opposite reasons, if that makes any sense.
Integrity and self-awareness are the common thread.

That's what I thought. Good on them, that's very respectable.
+Quote Post
Dzonatas

From the Likud Party's charter:

Most notably, in regards to the ArbCom case:
Settlements

The Jewish communities in Judea, Samaria and Gaza are the realization of Zionist values. Settlement of the land is a clear expression of the unassailable right of the Jewish people to the Land of Israel and constitutes an important asset in the defense of the vital interests of the State of Israel. The Likud will continue to strengthen and develop these communities and will prevent their uprooting.

And more:

Self-Rule

The Government of Israel flatly rejects the establishment of a Palestinian Arab state west of the Jordan river.

The Palestinians can run their lives freely in the framework of self-rule, but not as an independent and sovereign state. Thus, for example, in matters of foreign affairs, security, immigration and ecology, their activity shall be limited in accordance with imperatives of Israel's existence, security and national needs.

And more:

Declaration of a State

A unilateral Palestinian declaration of the establishment of a Palestinian state will constitute a fundamental and substantive violation of the agreements with the State of Israel and the scuttling of the Oslo and Wye accords. The government will adopt immediate stringent measures in the event of such a declaration.

Read more:
http://www.knesset.gov.il/elections/knesset15/elikud_m.htm

+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

Just as I thought would happen, G-Dett and others are taking Jayjg and the other pro-Israel POV pushers to the cleaners. So much so, that one of them has exited the debate.

Unless Jayjg and his buddies can come up with some credible defense, I expect to see him and at least one or two others getting some topic bans.
+Quote Post
Proabivouac

Bane of all wikiland

I'd given this some thought over the past few days.

First, I see no problem with using the term "Palestine" to mean the area which includes Israel as well as the West Bank and Gaza - it's the only term we have. The notion floated in Arbitration, that to use "Palestine" to include Israel would be unacceptably biased, is a straw man.

The West Bank is the current standard term for the entirety of the territories between Israel and Jordan; to replace it with "Judea and Samaria" is indeed reminiscent of settler rhetoric.

However, the use of Judea and Samaria on their own to designate (respectively) subregions of the West Bank is no more biased than the use of "Palestine" to mean the whole region. Something like "the northern West Bank region of Samaria" is descriptive and informative.

Characterizing them as "biblical terms", as has been uncritically accepted here, is wildly wrong. These are Latin toponyms - none of the Bible was written in Latin - used during the Roman Empire long after the books of the Tanakh (in which the Romans didn't believe anyhow) were written. Judea was the name of a Roman province before it was merged with what is now Gaza and changed to Syria Palaestina after the suppression of the Jewish revolt. Even in Hebrew, where their forms are quite different, they had no sacred connotation, but were associated with the ethnic groups which lived there (and whose descendants still do.)

Weren't these terms in use as recently as the British mandate? Are there Arabic terms for these subregions besides calques of "Northern/Southern West Bank?" Has anyone bothered to find out?

This post has been edited by Proabivouac:
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Sat 28th February 2009, 3:03pm) *

I don't know why anybody bothers to even follow these arbcom cases. Nothing will change over there, ever.

Agreed. Jayjg has too much support. Too much rot inside.

Jay could call the sun "Moon" if he desired, and get someone to make it stick.
+Quote Post
LamontStormstar

Postmaster

Jayjg did WTC.

PS: This is not about any group, this is just about Jayjg.

This post has been edited by LamontStormstar:
+Quote Post
Tarc

Fat Cat

QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Sat 28th February 2009, 6:03pm) *

At most it gets rid of Jay's little sock monkeys that get called on to do the real brunt of the dirty work, many of which have already fallen away, such as Urthogie, Zeq, and Humus sapiens. Hopefully this case will notch a few more.

Sooner or later, the King will have no Subjects.
+Quote Post
gomi

QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Wed 4th March 2009, 7:10pm) *
I'd given this some thought over the past few days.

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)

At last! Peace in our time!
+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

Ouch.

By the way, it looks like Jaakobou has been designated as the goon for this case.

+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

Amazing, simply beyond belief.

G-Dett must have some kind of supernatural Jew-proof flame barrier.
Perhaps she's got an overcoat made of pork chops?

And just who the hell is Nickhh (T-C-L-K-R-D) ? He spends a lot of time
complaining about edit warring (when he isn't making threats anyway).
Look at his contributions page for some real fun. He likes to get into it
with Jaakobou, IronDuke and Elonka.
And he's been accused of being a "Hezbollah operative"....
+Quote Post
It's the blimp, Frank

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Fri 6th March 2009, 2:26am) *

There is no evidence that any of these characters is Jewish. We can reliably conclude from their opinions that they are Zionists, and there is no known Zionist repellent except perhaps the Torah.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(It's the blimp, Frank @ Fri 6th March 2009, 10:17am) *

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Fri 6th March 2009, 2:26am) *

There is no evidence that any of these characters is Jewish. We can reliably conclude from their opinions that they are Zionists, and there is no known Zionist repellent except perhaps the Torah.

Somebody inform Likud, in that case. I suspect it may come as a shock to some of them. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/confused.gif)

Many of the early Zionists were of the leftist-vaguely-atheistic Jewish sort, ala Einstein. But Irsael has its share of the "G-d Gave Us The Land, And Here's His Title Deed With Glowing Signature If You Don't Believe It" types. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/angry.gif)

Okay, leave out the glowing signature. Provinance of "deed" is in question. God's Office was contacted for this segment, but has not returned calls in time for our deadline. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/mellow.gif)
+Quote Post
Tarc

Fat Cat

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Thu 5th March 2009, 9:26pm) *

Well, hell, being accused of terrorist complicity is just a rite of passage for some of us.
+Quote Post
Rhindle

G-dett appears to be a front runner for next year's "Cojones de latón" award.
+Quote Post
Doc glasgow

Wikipedia:The Sump of All Human Knowledge

Member No.: 90

Wikipedia has a Zionist/Israeli bias controlled by a Zionist Israeli clique? Is this news?

Biased articles are ten a penny here. Take, for instance Sabeel, a liberal Christian group of liberation theologians pledged to stand with Arab Christians for non-violent Justice in Palestine and Israel, and opposed to Zionism (whether Jewish or Christian). The article is a hatchet job, stringing together negative comments from a bunch of Zionists, many of them utterly ill-informed or unnotable.

And who'd want to be a Messianic Jewish Wikipedian? That article might as well be redirected to [[evil]].

Ot take this

"Jerusalem is the capital[iii] of Israel and its largest city[2] in both population and area,[3] with a population of 747,600 residents over an area of 125.1 square kilometres (48.3 sq mi) if disputed East Jerusalem is included."

Jerusalem is the capital of Israel? I mean not according to the UN, or most Western states, but let's not mention that until paragraph nine. "Disputed East Jerusalem"? - you mean illegally occupied territory? This designation is disputed ONLY by Israel, but let's not mention that.

"In the wake of United Nations Security Council Resolution 478 (passed in 1980), most foreign embassies moved out of Jerusalem, although some countries, such as the United States, still own land in the city and pledge to return their embassies once political agreements warrant the move.[16]"

Why is the "although" justified? Of course, if there is a solution and an agreement about capitals then other nations will recognise it. It does not take away from 478.

This post has been edited by Doc glasgow:
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Sat 7th March 2009, 3:57am) *

Wikipedia has a Zionist/Israeli bias controlled by a Zionist Israeli clique? Is this news?
Nope. The clique, which includes a former member of the arbcom with checkuser powers etc., has heretofore been unassailable. What is newsworthy is that the clique is apparently now being assailed.

QUOTE(Rhindle @ Fri 6th March 2009, 1:20pm) *

G-dett appears to be a front runner for next year's "Cojones de latón" award.
Absolutely.
+Quote Post
Dzonatas

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Fri 6th March 2009, 9:52am) *

QUOTE(It's the blimp, Frank @ Fri 6th March 2009, 10:17am) *

... Many of the early Zionists were of the leftist-vaguely-atheistic Jewish sort, ala Einstein. ...

Early Zionists were secular, but Jewish Zionist adopted a strong religious position... Torah vs. Talmud... so people didn't choose to be leftist in the event.

A reminder about secular Zionist:
http://eom.byu.edu/index.php/Zionism

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Thu 5th March 2009, 6:26pm) *

EU has taken Hezbollah off their "terrorist" list in the last few days. Pro-Israel groups are in a uproar over it and further claimed the Brits have been taken over by Islamic extremist.

+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

Jayjg has presented some evidence, responded to on the talk page. He also seems to have gotten some more help in trying to label MeteorMaker as the bozo, as I predicted would happen.
+Quote Post
EuroSceptic

Member No.: 322

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Wed 11th March 2009, 1:53am) *

Jayjg has presented some evidence, responded to on the talk page. He also seems to have gotten some more help in trying to label MeteorMaker as the bozo, as I predicted would happen.

I would call JayJG's "evidence" more framing, and trying to save his sorry ass. I think nothing will stand when people have dismantled it.
+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

QUOTE(EuroSceptic @ Wed 11th March 2009, 2:48am) *

I would call JayJG's "evidence" more framing, and trying to save his sorry ass. I think nothing will stand when people have dismantled it.

And they are effectively dismantling it.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Tue 10th March 2009, 8:19pm) *

QUOTE(EuroSceptic @ Wed 11th March 2009, 2:48am) *

And they are effectively dismantling it.

I like it. We don't call it the Battle of Volgograd, do we? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/evilgrin.gif) Not a difficult point to understand.
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

That's typical Jay. He waits till the first storm blows over, then hammers his
opponent with a mountain of half-assed "evidence". In this case, all the small
edits to articles, changing "Judea and Samaria" to "West Bank".

Plus support from his usual butt-snorkels. JoshuaZ, as usual, spews ad-hominem
arguments that mean little or nothing.

Meteor disregarded the statement and asked Elonka to verify whether the original English article included the text Jayjg has just told him was not included.[389]. This behavior shows an incredible lack of good faith on Meteor's part in apparently assuming that when in doubt Jayjg had lied about the source's content.
Of course the bastard lied. He's done it before.

It's a little different this time, they're not getting the usual automatic approvals
and the usual falling-to-the-knees obeisance.

Can't remember that last RFA that had so much, um, filler.
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

I couldn't help but think of Wikipedia today when I read the letter of resignation by Chas Freeman, a highly intelligent and capable public servant who quit rather than face endless slander by the Neocons and the Likudniks. He was appointed, and confirmed, to be the head of the National Intelligence Council.
The libels on me and their easily traceable email trails show conclusively that there is a powerful lobby determined to prevent any view other than its own from being aired, still less to factor in American understanding of trends and events in the Middle East. The tactics of the Israel Lobby plumb the depths of dishonor and indecency and include character assassination, selective misquotation, the willful distortion of the record, the fabrication of falsehoods, and an utter disregard for the truth. The aim of this Lobby is control of the policy process through the exercise of a veto over the appointment of people who dispute the wisdom of its views, the substitution of political correctness for analysis, and the exclusion of any and all options for decision by Americans and our government other than those that it favors. (Reliable Source)
Sound familiar?

And this humorous comment brings to mind some of the better people who have bailed from Wikipedia:
When Admiral Blair asked me to chair the NIC I responded that I understood he was “asking me to give my freedom of speech, my leisure, the greater part of my income, subject myself to the mental colonoscopy of a polygraph, and resume a daily commute to a job with long working hours and a daily ration of political abuse.” I added that I wondered “whether there wasn’t some sort of downside to this offer.”

+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Wed 11th March 2009, 8:57pm) *

I couldn't help but think of Wikipedia today when I read the letter of resignation by Chas Freeman, a highly intelligent and capable public servant who quit rather than face endless slander by the Neocons and the Likudniks. He was appointed, and confirmed, to be the head of the National Intelligence Council.
The libels on me and their easily traceable email trails show conclusively that there is a powerful lobby determined to prevent any view other than its own from being aired, still less to factor in American understanding of trends and events in the Middle East. The tactics of the Israel Lobby plumb the depths of dishonor and indecency and include character assassination, selective misquotation, the willful distortion of the record, the fabrication of falsehoods, and an utter disregard for the truth. The aim of this Lobby is control of the policy process through the exercise of a veto over the appointment of people who dispute the wisdom of its views, the substitution of political correctness for analysis, and the exclusion of any and all options for decision by Americans and our government other than those that it favors. (Reliable Source)
Sound familiar?

And this humorous comment brings to mind some of the better people who have bailed from Wikipedia:
When Admiral Blair asked me to chair the NIC I responded that I understood he was “asking me to give my freedom of speech, my leisure, the greater part of my income, subject myself to the mental colonoscopy of a polygraph, and resume a daily commute to a job with long working hours and a daily ration of political abuse.” I added that I wondered “whether there wasn’t some sort of downside to this offer.”

I just added that Freeman quote to the Israel Lobby article. I'm interested in seeing how long it stays. After adding the quote, I checked the article's history and saw that Jayjg had edited it within the past month.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Wed 11th March 2009, 1:57pm) *

Sound familiar?

Yeah, sounds like vintage Milton Roe. I think I've been labeled as an anti-Semite for it. But as has been pointed out, that's just a right of passage for political truth-sayers in America.

Now where's my photo of Obama in a kippah?

(IMG:http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll191/Shrlocc/obamarmulke.gif)
+Quote Post
Rhindle

This looks pretty damning.
+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

QUOTE(Rhindle @ Thu 12th March 2009, 3:37am) *

This looks pretty damning.

Mackan really outdid himself with that evidence section. It looks to me like CJCurrie should weigh in with his own experiences dealing with Jayjg.

By the way, it lasted about three hours.

+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Wed 11th March 2009, 10:24pm) *

Don't give up just yet. If there's one Reliable Sourceâ„¢ that will make Wikipediots prostrate themselves in in a attitude of abject propitiation, it's the Wall Street Journal.
+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Thu 12th March 2009, 6:22am) *

Don't give up just yet. If there's one Reliable Sourceâ„¢ that will make Wikipediots prostrate themselves in in a attitude of abject propitiation, it's the Wall Street Journal.

I already readded it using the WSJ source. It was the second item in the Google search after I noticed the revert, took me all of about 1 minute to replace it in the article.

My question is, why didn't GHCool try to find a better source for the quote rather than just revert it? Another thing, since the quote was from an open letter by Freeman, the source doesn't matter, because the letter is verifiable in and of itself. I used a political blog as a source for an open letter by a whistleblower in an article, and it was accepted at the FA forum because the letter itself was really the source, not the blog. So, GHCool was not being very helpful in his actions. Why?
+Quote Post
Lar

"His blandness goes to 11!"

Member No.: 4,290

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Thu 12th March 2009, 1:48am) *

My question is, why didn't GHCool try to find a better source for the quote rather than just revert it? Another thing, since the quote was from an open letter by Freeman, the source doesn't matter, because the letter is verifiable in and of itself. I used a political blog as a source for an open letter by a whistleblower in an article, and it was accepted at the FA forum because the letter itself was really the source, not the blog. So, GHCool was not being very helpful in his actions. Why?

Completely unrelatedly...

User:GHCool makes interesting reading. As do the user's contributions, and this page User:GHcool/Views. I'd also point you to this edit for another example of quote removal. There is a discussion on the talk page: Talk:Israel_lobby_in_the_United_States#Long_blockquotes_in_references that may have some bearing as well.
+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

QUOTE(Lar @ Thu 12th March 2009, 10:55am) *

User:GHCool makes interesting reading. As do the user's contributions, and this page User:GHcool/Views. I'd also point you to this edit for another example of quote removal. There is a discussion on the talk page: Talk:Israel_lobby_in_the_United_States#Long_blockquotes_in_references that may have some bearing as well.

Actually, I agree with his removing that long block quote. It was too long. Although, on second thought, it might have been more helpful if he had tried to shorten it instead of removing it altogether.

+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Wed 11th March 2009, 11:48pm) *

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Thu 12th March 2009, 6:22am) *

I already readded it using the WSJ source. It was the second item in the Google search after I noticed the revert, took me all of about 1 minute to replace it in the article.

Why? Umm, if you don't want to do a thing, or want to do a thing, one reason's as good as another. Is why.

GHcool's an Ashkenazi Jew living in LA and a member of Wikiproject Israel, according to his userpage. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hmmm.gif) He's going to be about as able to have a dispassionate political viewpoint on the subject of the Israel lobby as our friend Klein/Jeruselem21.

GHcool's Kabbal Kount is 20. Which is getting up there (though I expected better, given his background).

Articles edited by SlimVirgin, Jayjg, Jpgordon, and GHcool:

#1 Zionist_political_violence - edited by 4 of 4 users
#2 Zionism - edited by 4 of 4 users
#3 Yasser_Arafat - edited by 4 of 4 users
#4 September_11_attacks - edited by 4 of 4 users
#5 Self-hating_Jew - edited by 4 of 4 users
#6 Palestinian_refugee - edited by 4 of 4 users
#7 Palestinian_people - edited by 4 of 4 users
#8 Norman_Finkelstein - edited by 4 of 4 users
#9 Mohammad_Amin_al-Husayni - edited by 4 of 4 users
#10 Jerusalem - edited by 4 of 4 users
#11 Israel,_Palestinians,_and_the_United_Nations - edited by 4 of 4 users
#12 Israel - edited by 4 of 4 users
#13 Holocaust_denial - edited by 4 of 4 users
#14 Hamas - edited by 4 of 4 users
#15 David_Irving - edited by 4 of 4 users
#16 David_Duke - edited by 4 of 4 users
#17 Benny_Morris - edited by 4 of 4 users
#18 Arab–Israeli_conflict - edited by 4 of 4 users
#19 Antisemitism - edited by 4 of 4 users
#20 Anti-Zionism - edited by 4 of 4 users

If we leave Jpgordon off, we get an impressive 58 articles. Pretty much a smorgasbord of Israeli lobby topics.

#1 Zionist_political_violence - edited by 3 of 3 users
#2 Zionism - edited by 3 of 3 users
#3 Yom_Kippur_War - edited by 3 of 3 users
#4 Yasser_Arafat - edited by 3 of 3 users
#5 Washington_Institute_for_Near_East_Policy - edited by 3 of 3 users
#6 United_Nations_Security_Council_Resolution_242 - edited by 3 of 3 users
#7 The_Israel_Lobby_and_U.S._Foreign_Policy - edited by 3 of 3 users
#8 Syria - edited by 3 of 3 users
#9 Suha_Arafat - edited by 3 of 3 users
#10 Steven_Emerson - edited by 3 of 3 users
#11 Six-Day_War - edited by 3 of 3 users
#12 September_11_attacks - edited by 3 of 3 users
#13 Self-hating_Jew - edited by 3 of 3 users
#14 Pallywood - edited by 3 of 3 users
#15 Palestinian_refugee - edited by 3 of 3 users
#16 Palestinian_political_violence - edited by 3 of 3 users
#17 Palestinian_people - edited by 3 of 3 users
#18 Palestine_Peace_Not_Apartheid - edited by 3 of 3 users
#19 Palestine_Liberation_Organization - edited by 3 of 3 users
#20 Norman_Finkelstein - edited by 3 of 3 users
#21 Monotheism - edited by 3 of 3 users
#22 Mohammad_Amin_al-Husayni - edited by 3 of 3 users
#23 Mitchell_Bard - edited by 3 of 3 users
#24 Military_and_economic_aid_in_the_2006_Lebanon_War - edited by 3 of 3 users
#25 Media_coverage_of_the_Arab–Israeli_conflict - edited by 3 of 3 users
#26 Mary_Phagan_and_Leo_Frank - edited by 3 of 3 users
#27 Jimmy_Carter - edited by 3 of 3 users
#28 Jewish_exodus_from_Arab_lands - edited by 3 of 3 users
#29 Jerusalem - edited by 3 of 3 users
#30 Israeli_settlement - edited by 3 of 3 users
#31 Israel_lobby_in_the_United_States - edited by 3 of 3 users
#32 Israel_and_the_apartheid_analogy - edited by 3 of 3 users
#33 Israel,_Palestinians,_and_the_United_Nations - edited by 3 of 3 users
#34 Israel - edited by 3 of 3 users
#35 Islamophobia - edited by 3 of 3 users
#36 Islamic_terrorism - edited by 3 of 3 users
#37 Islam_and_antisemitism - edited by 3 of 3 users
#38 International_Conference_to_Review_the_Global_Vision_of_the_Holocaust - edited by 3 of 3 users
#39 Ilan_Pappé - edited by 3 of 3 users
#40 HonestReporting - edited by 3 of 3 users
#41 Holocaust_denial - edited by 3 of 3 users
#42 Hezbollah - edited by 3 of 3 users
#43 Hamas - edited by 3 of 3 users
#44 Edward_Said - edited by 3 of 3 users
#45 Declaration_of_Independence_(Israel) - edited by 3 of 3 users
#46 David_Irving - edited by 3 of 3 users
#47 David_Duke - edited by 3 of 3 users
#48 Criticism_of_Noam_Chomsky - edited by 3 of 3 users
#49 Bernard_Lewis - edited by 3 of 3 users
#50 Benny_Morris - edited by 3 of 3 users
#51 Arab–Israeli_conflict - edited by 3 of 3 users
#52 Antisemitism_in_the_Arab_world - edited by 3 of 3 users
#53 Antisemitism - edited by 3 of 3 users
#54 Anti-Zionism - edited by 3 of 3 users
#55 Animal_rights_and_the_Holocaust - edited by 3 of 3 users
#56 Akbar_Hashemi_Rafsanjani - edited by 3 of 3 users
#57 1994_AMIA_bombing - edited by 3 of 3 users
#58 1948_Arab–Israeli_War - edited by 3 of 3 users

QUOTE(Lar @ Thu 12th March 2009, 3:55am) *

"Completely unrelatedly... " (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/confused.gif)

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Thu 12th March 2009, 11:32pm) *
Why? Umm, if you don't want to do a thing, or want to do a thing, one reason's as good as another. Is why.

GHcool's an Ashkenazi Jew living in LA and a member of Wikiproject Israel, according to his userpage. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hmmm.gif) He's going to be about as able to have a dispassionate political viewpoint on the subject of the Israel lobby as our friend Klein/Jeruselem21.

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)

That's good analysis. Bringing this back around to how this relates to this case, it seems that many, if not most, of the active Israeli history editors believe that POV editing is fine. IronDuke, who appears to be one of them, here and here seems to advocate POV editing as a good approach. He appeared taken aback when I reminded him that Wikipedia expects its editors to edit in a way that it appears that they're not taking a side. Perhaps some of the "pro-Palestinian" editors are just as bad, but so far, in this case, they're not looking half as mendacious and deceitful as Jayjg and his friends.
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Thu 12th March 2009, 4:56pm) *

IronDuke, who appears to be one of them, here and here seems to advocate POV editing as a good approach.

ID is also a big booster of the practice of using Wikipedia as a megaphone for defamation.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Thu 12th March 2009, 4:56pm) *

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Thu 12th March 2009, 11:32pm) *

That's good analysis. Bringing this back around to how this relates to this case, it seems that many, if not most, of the active Israeli history editors believe that POV editing is fine. IronDuke, who appears to be one of them, here and here seems to advocate POV editing as a good approach. He appeared taken aback when I reminded him that Wikipedia expects its editors to edit in a way that it appears that they're not taking a side. Perhaps some of the "pro-Palestinian" editors are just as bad, but so far, in this case, they're not looking half as mendacious and deceitful as Jayjg and his friends.

Sometimes non-POV editing is just about impossible. But there's a way around that, too. The disallowed "POV fork" only happens when a WP article doesn't reference and do a summary somewhere of the anti-view. But that's not hard to fix. Example: WP has an article on Medical Abortion, but it also has articles on Abortion debate and one each for Pro-life and Pro-choice. People of both stripes are allowed to go and put their best arguments there, and each side leaves the other more-or-less alone to do so. The same could happen in Middle East politics (and to some extend has, of course) but many of the zealots on both sides absolutely cannot stand to do it completely.

The weird thing about WP is that many "bias" problems have been solved already, in the way we do it with the formal advocate/trial/political system (where bias is acknowledged, taken for granted, and we simply move on to give everybody a say). When it comes to politics and religion (and the Middle heat is a hotbed of both, of course), WP breaks down under deletionists who really can't allow that.
+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Fri 13th March 2009, 12:51am) *
Sometimes non-POV editing is just about impossible. But there's a way around that, too. The disallowed "POV fork" only happens when a WP article doesn't reference and do a summary somewhere of the anti-view. But that's not hard to fix. Example: WP has an article on Medical Abortion, but it also has articles on Abortion debate and one each for Pro-life and Pro-choice. People of both stripes are allowed to go and put their best arguments there, and each side leaves the other more-or-less alone to do so. The same could happen in Middle East politics (and to some extend has, of course) but many of the zealots on both sides absolutely cannot stand to do it completely.

The weird thing about WP is that many "bias" problems have been solved already, in the way we do it with the formal advocate/trial/political system (where bias is acknowledged, taken for granted, and we simply move on to give everybody a say). When it comes to politics and religion (and the Middle heat is a hotbed of both, of course), WP breaks down under deletionists who really can't allow that.

I remember on the talk page for the "Atomic Bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki" article some editors were arguing over the true casualty count and trying to discredit each other's sources. I suggested that they just give all the opinions- (this person) says this many were killed, but (this person) says this many were killed. If I remember right, they ignored me and kept arguing. I guess they didn't want an NPOV presentation, they wanted their own POV to win.
+Quote Post
Mackan

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Thu 12th March 2009, 11:56pm) *

That's good analysis.

It may be petty, but I'll always respect GHcool for his comment here.

Does the quote belong in the article? I don't know, my feeling is that Wikipedia tends to overuse these types of quotations. "Did he just say that! Let's add it to an article." Not that it's clear cut, of course.
+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

QUOTE(Mackan @ Fri 13th March 2009, 4:32am) *

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Thu 12th March 2009, 11:56pm) *

That's good analysis.

It may be petty, but I'll always respect GHcool for his comment here.

Does the quote belong in the article? I don't know, my feeling is that Wikipedia tends to overuse these types of quotations. "Did he just say that! Let's add it to an article." Not that it's clear cut, of course.

I thought it was an appropriate quote, because it appeared to summarize the views of those critical of that lobby and was given by a notable mover and shaker in Washington politics. GHCool subsequently added a rebuttal from a Washington Post editorial. I'm a long time reader of the Post and like and respect it a lot (I like the Washington Times also). I think the Post took Freeman to task was because his criticism of the Israel Lobby was also an indirect attack on Obama for not standing up to that lobby. The Post's editorial staff couldn't let that go unchallenged because they really like Obama.
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Thu 12th March 2009, 9:57pm) *

I think the Post took Freeman to task was because his criticism of the Israel Lobby was also an indirect attack on Obama for not standing up to that lobby. The Post's editorial staff couldn't let that go unchallenged because they really like Obama.
I beg to differ. I think the Post took Freeman to task because they hate what he stands for. Katherine Graham's daughter, Lally Weymouth, has a long time association with the Israeli Right.
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Wed 11th March 2009, 5:19pm) *

I just added that Freeman quote to the Israel Lobby article. I'm interested in seeing how long it stays.
Here is an editorial from the L.A. Times which discusses the question of the "Israel Lobby."
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Fri 13th March 2009, 1:40pm) *

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Wed 11th March 2009, 5:19pm) *

I just added that Freeman quote to the Israel Lobby article. I'm interested in seeing how long it stays.
Here is an editorial from the L.A. Times which discusses the question of the "Israel Lobby."

Which contains this daring quote:

QUOTE(LA Times on the Israel Lobby)
Our opinion is this: Israel is America's friend and ally. It deserves to exist safely within secure borders. We hope it will continue to prosper as a refuge for Jews and a vibrant democracy in the region (alongside an equally democratic Palestinian state in the West Bank and Gaza). But we do not believe that Israel should be immune from criticism or that there is room for only one point of view in our government.

All that is fine so far as it goes. But the real question is why all US candidates for president are now required, on pain of being opposed to the point of loss, to pledge their undying support for the "existence" of Israel, including all but promising to help Israel attack threatening countries, and continuing US monetary support for Israel. Israel is a county with several hundred nuclear weapons, a fact that I never heard once in the presidential debates. It can take care of itself, and should start doing so. If it wants to blow up a reactor in Iran (for example), it should go ahead and do it, as it did with the one in Iraq in 1981, which the US finished off in 1991. If it can't do it without US help, perhaps it shouldn't do it at all. It's time that Israel, if it wants to be a grown-up country, should support itself fully.

You want a metaphor for modern Israel? It's the nice Jewish boy who stays on and on in mom's appartment in NYC, because it's cheap. He's got a nice car in the basement. He makes money with various part time jobs. But he's too cheap to move out, and expects her to cook and provide unwavering support, while he plays.

Except, he's past 60 years old now, and "mom" is about 220. One wonders if he's waiting for the old yenta to die so he can inherit all she has, including the place on rent control. But she refuses to.

You don't like this metaphor? Too bad. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif) Feel free to come up with your own.

+Quote Post
Dzonatas

Consider how Freeman became appointed AND confirmed to National Security Head, you'd think he would be in such a position to be able to protect himself. If the only option he had was to step down, for which the neocons and Israel Lobby claimed as a 'win' on their side, I think it actually shows that Israel Lobby is a national security threat. By Freeman stepping down there is nothing the Israel Lobby can do to now change an image of them being a national security threat except to try to get Freeman back in office.

As for the neocons, Obama seems to have already release documentation that could potential support evidence for a 'military coup'-like movement to plan an 'executive assassination'. I can't wait until the details of such plan are revealed more. Rove seems to know something about this movement... if you find that weak-link interesting.
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

QUOTE(Dzonatas @ Sat 14th March 2009, 7:27am) *

As for the neocons, Obama seems to have already release documentation that could potential support evidence for a 'military coup'-like movement to plan an 'executive assassination'.
There are striking parallels here to the American Liberty League back in the 1930s.
+Quote Post
Dzonatas

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Sat 14th March 2009, 6:45am) *

There are striking parallels here to the American Liberty League back in the 1930s.

I recommend to watch Valkyrie, based on a true events, despite the bad press it received. After you watch the movie, do consider that those that survived that Nuremberg trials were held in prison, and upon their release they were eventually assassinated. The notes at the end of the movie may come as a surprise to some, and I don't doubt that the onslaught of bad press was to make sure that people don't learn about such notes.

I would say more, but this is not the thread for it.

+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(Dzonatas @ Sat 14th March 2009, 7:27am) *

Consider how Freeman became appointed AND confirmed to National Security Head, you'd think he would be in such a position to be able to protect himself. If the only option he had was to step down, for which the neocons and Israel Lobby claimed as a 'win' on their side, I think it actually shows that Israel Lobby is a national security threat. By Freeman stepping down there is nothing the Israel Lobby can do to now change an image of them being a national security threat except to try to get Freeman back in office.

Like they care about their "image" more than they care about being politically-feared? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif) Not.

Some time ago there was a commentator who opined that the Jews had too much power in the media. The network boss, who was Jewish, had him fired for the comment. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/huh.gif)

Now, I don't think there's any human alive who is THAT completely lacking in a sense of irony. But the issue was not about image or truth, but about making sure the fear remains. At any price.
+Quote Post
Dzonatas

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sat 14th March 2009, 12:05pm) *

Like they care about their "image" more than they care about being politically-feared? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif) Not.

Some time ago there was a commentator who opined that the Jews had too much power in the media. The network boss, who was Jewish, had him fired for the comment. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/huh.gif)

Now, I don't think there's any human alive who is THAT completely lacking in a sense of irony. But the issue was not about image or truth, but about making sure the fear remains. At any price.

Hasbara antagonists often use a debate method to accuse their opponents of the very nature of what the antagonist has done or about to do before their opponents accuse the antagonist of such tactic. It puts the opponent on the defensive to prove that the accusation made by the antagonist is not true. Too often, other people that haven't been fully expose to the entire debate will also have to prove to themselves that the antagonists made a false accusation, but most likely there is no motive or sense to need such proof until the opponent speaks up over the accusation. When the opponent points out (tells others) exactly how the antagonist made a false accusation, the antagonists then brings up any kind of secondary accusation, conflated with demagoguery, at the opponent. As long as the first accusation is not proven false, the secondary accusation will appear true to the events for others to personally witness. The chances for the opponent to state that the secondary accusation is also false and not appear frivolous or desperate in manner is low. It is because of this low chance that the Hasbara antagonist will attempt such tactic. The worst the antagonist has to do is remove himself/herself from debate if the opponents succeeds. The tactic is to win public opinion, not to debate truth, which it avoids or further delays.

With Freeman, he removed himself before the antagonist removed themselves. He removed any chance of being accused of demagoguery. The only 'win' the neocons and Israel Lobby got was to get him out of office, but they didn't 'win' any more public opinion or fear.

Freemen new this very well, as noted in his letter:
In the court of public opinion, unlike a court of law, one is guilty until proven innocent. The speeches from which quotations have been lifted from their context are available for anyone interested in the truth to read. The injustice of the accusations made against me has been obvious to those with open minds. Those who have sought to impugn my character are uninterested in any rebuttal that I or anyone else might make.

Earlier in his letter he pointed out how the accusations were made about him when really it was attempts for the antagonists to further control the office (already quoted here on WR):
The libels on me and their easily traceable email trails show conclusively that there is a powerful lobby determined to prevent any view other than its own from being aired, still less to factor in American understanding of trends and events in the Middle East. The tactics of the Israel Lobby plumb the depths of dishonor and indecency and include character assassination, selective misquotation, the willful distortion of the record, the fabrication of falsehoods, and an utter disregard for the truth. The aim of this Lobby is control of the policy process through the exercise of a veto over the appointment of people who dispute the wisdom of its views, the substitution of political correctness for analysis, and the exclusion of any and all options for decision by Americans and our government other than those that it favors.

It seems obvious that Freeman's first and only act of National Intelligence was to make any accusation at him moot and to point out exactly the Hasbara tactic noted above before it is fully used on him.

Fear at any price? Note how Freeman points out 'special irony':

I believe that the inability of the American public to discuss, or the government to consider, any option for US policies in the Middle East opposed by the ruling faction in Israeli politics has allowed that faction to adopt and sustain policies that ultimately threaten the existence of the state of Israel.

LOL
+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

I suspect that the ArbCom may vote on topic bans for every editor named on this list. Kirill's proposed principles appear to be a very pointed statement of what the editors in question have done wrong. Meanwhile, it appears that the last stand of Samaria and Judea continues.

+Quote Post
gomi

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Sun 19th April 2009, 5:15pm) *
I suspect that the ArbCom may vote on topic bans for every editor named on this list. Kirill's proposed principles appear to be a very pointed statement of what the editors in question have done wrong. Meanwhile, it appears that the last stand of Samaria and Judea continues.

While a topic ban on Jayjg and his minions would do Wikipedia a world of good, one has to believe that as long as he has an admin bit, oversight, and checkuser privileges, other members of his posse will spring up like golems in Prague, with his words on slips of paper in their mouths.
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

Interesting. Brewcrewer, Canadian Monkey, ChrisO, Elonka, G-Dett, Jaakobou, Jayjg,
MeteorMaker, Nickhh, Nishidani, NoCal100 and Pedrito.

This list covers virtually all the Israel-POV fiddlers--
except IronDuke and the SlimMonster.

I wonder what any of this has to do with "building an encyclopedia".

This post has been edited by EricBarbour:
+Quote Post
gomi

Good for Kirill Lokshin (T-C-L-K-R-D) , finally calling Jayjg on his game:

Proposed Findings of Fact
Jayjg

2.7.1) There is evidence ([129], [130]) that Jayjg (T-C-L-K-R-D) was involved in a conspiracy to affect Wikipedia content in violation of several policies (including, but not limited to, WP:CANVASS, WP:MEAT, and WP:EW).

2.7.2) Jayjg's actions regarding the matter addressed in 2.7.1 brought (or could reasonably have brought) Wikipedia into disrepute.

Sadly, he hasn't identified any of Jayjg's pernicious and biased editing on many articles in this area, his threats of banning against other editors, and his general tilting of the playing field. I can't wait for the final "Remedy", though, which will no doubt be "Jayjg is admonished", and things will go back to the sad, sad, "normal".
+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

QUOTE(gomi @ Tue 21st April 2009, 5:36am) *

Good for Kirill Lokshin (T-C-L-K-R-D) , finally calling Jayjg on his game:

Proposed Findings of Fact
Jayjg

2.7.1) There is evidence ([129], [130]) that Jayjg (T-C-L-K-R-D) was involved in a conspiracy to affect Wikipedia content in violation of several policies (including, but not limited to, WP:CANVASS, WP:MEAT, and WP:EW).

2.7.2) Jayjg's actions regarding the matter addressed in 2.7.1 brought (or could reasonably have brought) Wikipedia into disrepute.

Sadly, he hasn't identified any of Jayjg's pernicious and biased editing on many articles in this area, his threats of banning against other editors, and his general tilting of the playing field. I can't wait for the final "Remedy", though, which will no doubt be "Jayjg is admonished", and things will go back to the sad, sad, "normal".

Those are strong words by Kirill. If being allowed to participate in Wikipedia as an admin, or in any function, is important to Jayjg, I can't imagine he's too happy to be reading that.

+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Mon 20th April 2009, 9:34pm) *

Interesting. Brewcrewer, Canadian Monkey, ChrisO, Elonka, G-Dett, Jaakobou, Jayjg,
MeteorMaker, Nickhh, Nishidani, NoCal100 and Pedrito.

This list covers virtually all the Israel-POV fiddlers--
except IronDuke and the SlimMonster.

I wonder what any of this has to do with "building an encyclopedia".

Not much. It has to do with Israel/Palestine conflict in the last couple of years. There is no single article that the first 8 editors above, plus SlimVirgin and IronDuke have edited. But only because SlimVirgin hasn't edited Second Intifada. The other 9 have.

If you use for your 10 editors:
Brewcrewer, Canadian Monkey, ChrisO, Elonka, G-Dett, Jaakobou, Jayjg, IronDuke, Nickhh, and Nishidani, you get:

#1 Second_Intifada - edited by 10 of 10 users
#2 New_antisemitism - edited by 8 of 10 users
#3 Hamas - edited by 8 of 10 users
#4 2008-2009_Israel-Gaza_conflict - edited by 8 of 10 users
#5 Palestine - edited by 7 of 10 users
#6 Nahum_Shahaf - edited by 7 of 10 users
#7 Muhammad_al-Durrah - edited by 7 of 10 users
#8 Israeli_settlement - edited by 7 of 10 users
#9 Israel_and_the_apartheid_analogy - edited by 7 of 10 users
#10 Battle_of_Jenin - edited by 7 of 10 users
#11 Rachel_Corrie - edited by 6 of 10 users
#12 Pallywood - edited by 6 of 10 users
#13 Menachem_Begin - edited by 6 of 10 users
#14 King_David_Hotel_bombing - edited by 6 of 10 users
#15 Jewish_lobby - edited by 6 of 10 users
#16 Israeli-Palestinian_conflict - edited by 6 of 10 users
#17 Israel_Shahak - edited by 6 of 10 users
#18 Hezbollah - edited by 6 of 10 users
#19 Ariel_Sharon - edited by 6 of 10 users

It drops off rather quickly after that. Second Intifada is clearly the nexis. There are only 18 articles edited by 5 users, 42 by 4 of them, 146 by 3 of them, and then an incredibly long tail of 913 articles edited by jsut 2 of them. And yet, even there, the 913 are almost entirely Jewish topics! Lists of Jewish temples and stuff. I'll give a few to give you the flavor:

#1120 Abraham_Avinu_Synagogue - edited by 2 of 10 users
#1121 Abkhazia - edited by 2 of 10 users
#1122 Abdel_Aziz_al-Rantissi - edited by 2 of 10 users
#1123 Aaron_Klein - edited by 2 of 10 users
#1124 AIDS_origins_opposed_to_scientific_consensus - edited by 2 of 10 users
#1125 9/11_conspiracy_theories - edited by 2 of 10 users
#1126 7_July_2005_London_bombings - edited by 2 of 10 users
#1127 7_(number) - edited by 2 of 10 users
#1128 2009_L'Aquila_earthquake - edited by 2 of 10 users
#1129 2008_conflict_in_Lebanon - edited by 2 of 10 users
#1130 2007_Labour_party_donation_scandal - edited by 2 of 10 users
#1131 2007_Iranian_seizure_of_Royal_Navy_personnel - edited by 2 of 10 users
#1132 2006_Lebanon_War_photographs_controversies - edited by 2 of 10 users
#1133 2005_Sharm_el-Sheikh_attacks - edited by 2 of 10 users
#1134 2003_invasion_of_Iraq - edited by 2 of 10 users
#1135 2000_Camp_David_Summit - edited by 2 of 10 users
#1136 1982_Lebanon_War - edited by 2 of 10 users
#1137 1978_South_Lebanon_conflict - edited by 2 of 10 users
#1138 1973_Israeli_raid_on_Lebanon - edited by 2 of 10 users
#1139 1952_Beit_Jala_raid - edited by 2 of 10 users
#1140 1948_Palestine_war - edited by 2 of 10 users
#1141 1947-1948_Civil_War_in_Mandatory_Palestine - edited by 2 of 10 users
#1142 1920_Palestine_riots - edited by 2 of 10 users
#1143 1834_Arab_revolt_in_Palestine - edited by 2 of 10 users

I think it's fairly clear that the common interest among these editors is not simply Jewish topics or even Jewish history. Rather, it's recent Middle East Israel/Palestine conflict. So it really is a recent Israel/Palestine conflict topic war. Article-banning half these people from just 20 articles would take out the core of the whole thing. Leaving everybody entirely at peace to go after exciting history like 1978 South Lebanon conflict. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

I'm biased of course, but I believe that this proposed remedy is long overdue.
+Quote Post
The Adversary

CT (Check Troll)

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Mon 27th April 2009, 3:33am) *

You are right, but I don´t think it will happen. (Yes, I´m pessimist.)

Incidentally, Jay has dramatically white-washed his user-page. Jayjg started editing in 2004, but if you look at the history of his user-page it looks as if he did not have a user-page before 2006. Not true: the first 1-2 years history of his user-page has been wiped clean. A pity; it was rather fascinating, as he used it just to list the articles he was edit-warring on. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

QUOTE(The Adversary @ Mon 27th April 2009, 5:30am) *

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Mon 27th April 2009, 3:33am) *

You are right, but I don´t think it will happen. (Yes, I´m pessimist.)

Incidentally, Jay has dramatically white-washed his user-page. Jayjg started editing in 2004, but if you look at the history of his user-page it looks as if he did not have a user-page before 2006. Not true: the first 1-2 years history of his user-page has been wiped clean. A pity; it was rather fascinating, as he used it just to list the articles he was edit-warring on. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wink.gif)

Well, his userpage looks better than mine. Perhaps I should copy his layout style. If I do, I'll credit him somewhere on the page.

By the way, Kirill is also proposing a topic ban for him, along with equivalent restrictions for seven other editors.

+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Tue 21st April 2009, 5:02pm) *

Those are strong words by Kirill. If being allowed to participate in Wikipedia as an admin, or in any function, is important to Jayjg, I can't imagine he's too happy to be reading that.

Well, tough shit. You, Cla68, edit without being an administrator and so do I. We manage to write quite easily.

Nor should a 20 or 40 article ban bother anybody who is out to write an encyclopedia with 2.4 million articles. Clip out 40 of the articles I've been most active on, and I'd hardly even notice. I'm done with them now, and changes to them irritate me more than not! The measure of any true encyclopedist is that you can remove their 40 most edit-warred and contributed to, and discussed wikis, and they'll still be fine. It doesn't cut off their oxygen because they are whole people.

Voltaire, in his 80s, made a plea to the academe of letters to re-start the grand encyclopedia. He offered to take the letter "A". Now there's the kind of guy we should be admire.

So I refuse to bleed for the prick Jayjg. Don't topic ban him from all Israel related topics-- there are thousands. Just ban him from the 40 top articles where he's been pushing the second-intifanda and recent conflict stuff along with the Kabbal (I gave a list above). And remove his admin bit so that he can't harrass and block people. Then let him go. If he can't write, after that, he should look for a job with an Israel-lobby blog. He's misplaced on Wikipedia.

Milton
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

Jayjg restricted
4) Jayjg (talk · contribs · deleted contribs · logs · abuse log · block user · block log) is placed under an editing restriction indefinitely. He is prohibited from editing any article in the area of conflict, commenting on any talk page attached to such an article, or participating in any community discussion substantially concerned with such articles.
Comment by Arbitrators:
Proposed. Kirill [talk] [pf] 02:59, 27 April 2009 (UTC)
Comment by parties:
Comment by others:
Oppose -- Absurdly unfair and unjustified by the evidence. 6SJ7 (talk) 04:38, 27 April 2009
Jayjg stripped of status and privileges
11) Jayjg (talk · contribs · deleted contribs · logs · abuse log · block user · block log) is stripped of his status and privileges as a Wikipedia functionary; namely:
( a ) His access to the CheckUser tool and the checkuser-l mailing list;
( b ) His access to the Oversight tool and the oversight-l mailing list; and
( c ) His access to the functionaries-en mailing list.
Comment by Arbitrators:
Harsh, but we simply cannot have functionaries comporting themselves in this manner. Kirill [talk] [pf] 02:59, 27 April 2009 (UTC)
Is the theory that functionaries should be exemplars in the community—like admins, but held to a higher standard? Cool Hand Luke 03:49, 27 April 2009 (UTC)
Yes, that's it; this is more or less explicitly stated as #Functionaries above. Kirill [talk] [pf] 03:50, 27 April 2009 (UTC)
To Cla68: that is my understanding of this. This is not desysopping, but removing the more "privileged" and "trusted" tools and access areas. Incidentally, access to some of these tools and mailing lists is much over-rated. But appearances are important. There is also a way back to these tools via ArbCom elections and CU/OS elections. Carcharoth (talk) 04:13, 27 April 2009 (UTC)
Comment by parties:
Comment by others:
Just a question, this proposed remedy does not remove all admin privileges? Cla68 (talk) 03:38, 27 April 2009 (UTC)
Oppose -- Absolutely ridiculous. If this is a serious proposal, the proposer should recuse himself from the case. 6SJ7 (talk) 04:43, 27 April 2009

Is this 6SJ7 thing a sockpuppet, Jay's attorney, or simply an animated carbuncle
on Jay's ass which has evolved to the point of operating a computer? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/yecch.gif)

(And how dare the carbuncle name itself after a vacuum tube?....)

This post has been edited by EricBarbour:
+Quote Post
Heat

Tenured

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Mon 27th April 2009, 7:45am) *

Jayjg restricted
4) Jayjg (talk · contribs · deleted contribs · logs · abuse log · block user · block log) is placed under an editing restriction indefinitely. He is prohibited from editing any article in the area of conflict, commenting on any talk page attached to such an article, or participating in any community discussion substantially concerned with such articles.
Comment by Arbitrators:
Proposed. Kirill [talk] [pf] 02:59, 27 April 2009 (UTC)
Comment by parties:
Comment by others:
Oppose -- Absurdly unfair and unjustified by the evidence. 6SJ7 (talk) 04:38, 27 April 2009
Jayjg stripped of status and privileges
11) Jayjg (talk · contribs · deleted contribs · logs · abuse log · block user · block log) is stripped of his status and privileges as a Wikipedia functionary; namely:
( a ) His access to the CheckUser tool and the checkuser-l mailing list;
( b ) His access to the Oversight tool and the oversight-l mailing list; and
( c ) His access to the functionaries-en mailing list.
Comment by Arbitrators:
Harsh, but we simply cannot have functionaries comporting themselves in this manner. Kirill [talk] [pf] 02:59, 27 April 2009 (UTC)
Is the theory that functionaries should be exemplars in the community—like admins, but held to a higher standard? Cool Hand Luke 03:49, 27 April 2009 (UTC)
Yes, that's it; this is more or less explicitly stated as #Functionaries above. Kirill [talk] [pf] 03:50, 27 April 2009 (UTC)
To Cla68: that is my understanding of this. This is not desysopping, but removing the more "privileged" and "trusted" tools and access areas. Incidentally, access to some of these tools and mailing lists is much over-rated. But appearances are important. There is also a way back to these tools via ArbCom elections and CU/OS elections. Carcharoth (talk) 04:13, 27 April 2009 (UTC)
Comment by parties:
Comment by others:
Just a question, this proposed remedy does not remove all admin privileges? Cla68 (talk) 03:38, 27 April 2009 (UTC)
Oppose -- Absolutely ridiculous. If this is a serious proposal, the proposer should recuse himself from the case. 6SJ7 (talk) 04:43, 27 April 2009

Is this 6SJ7 thing a sockpuppet, Jay's attorney, or simply an animated carbuncle
on Jay's ass which has evolved to the point of operating a computer? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/yecch.gif)

(And how dare the carbuncle name itself after a vacuum tube?....)

6SJ7 is a Jayjg meatpuppet. Kirill is the ArbComm's point person in this case so his proposals are serious and could well come to pass assuming that they are the result of discussion among Arbs and not just a trial balloon.

Interesting that SlimVirgin hasn't come to Jay's defence.

I also found this response by Ynhockey interesting:

Oppose—I'm not sure if anyone here has noticed, but Jayjg hasn't been editing much in the past couple weeks, because of this arbitration case. If this proposed remedy passes (or indeed the one about the tools), it is likely that Jayjg will never edit again, or edit very little. Therefore, in effect, ArbCom would be driving away one of the best and most serious editors on all of Wikipedia, because he let a few not-so-serious editors who have made little to no worthwhile contributions to the project, get the best of him. These kinds of actions already drove away SlimVirgin, another excellent editor, and will probably drive away Jayjg. Who will replace these editors, may I ask? Who will write the featured content, make maintenance edits, and do administrative work? Also it's clear that most of the parties up for sanctioning have few significant contributions, and mostly just a long block log, and therefore could easily start over from a different IP range with a new username. This is much less practical for Jayjg, who has a solid reputation for writing good articles and making high-quality edits.
In addition, let's be serious for a second. An indefinite topic ban for what offense exactly? Being a 'party member' in a series of arbitration cases? The only actual evidence that was presented were a few edit-wars, where Jayjg did not even violate any policies per se. Maybe some of the actions were not appropriate, but actual restrictions seem to be completely unwarranted. ArbCom should issue a warning at the most, and leave it up to WP:AE if any clearly inappropriate behavior continues. —Ynhockey (Talk) 10:24, 27 April 2009 (UTC)

So basically Jay's habit of running and hiding when he's in trouble should be rewarded?

Hockey raises an interesting question - is Jayjg indeed one of the "best" editors on Wikipedia? No, this is absolute nonsense. Until a year or so ago when Jay started writing articles on synagogues almost all his editing on wikipedia consisted of reverts or partial reverts or other attempts to remove material. Aside from his politically motivated series of dubious "apartheid" articles (Allegations of French apartheid etc) designed to normalize "Israeli apartheid", he created only a handful of articles - mostly stubs. Jay's never been much of a producer of content, his role as an editor has been as a political policeman and ideological edit warrior. I think the only reason he started writing articles on synagogues a year or so ago was because he was stung be just this criticism - that for all his years on wikipedia he had no concrete output, content-wise.
+Quote Post
trenton

Well, I see that no one has mentioned one of the most farcical "cases" involving Jayjg.

The gist of it is that Jayjg and co (the now defrocked FeloniousMonk) were out to ban this editor (PalestineRemembered). Now PalestineRemembered (PR), being new, hasn't quite got the tricks to editing Wikipedia. He makes long polemical rants on talk pages instead of sticking to making biased edits to articles like Jayjg and co, and FeloniousMonk manages to conjure up some excuses to block him for a month (first block) and two months (second block). PR returns for his welcome-blocks and makes a mistake in citing sources where he reads a book which cites a primary source and inserts material into an article citing the book's source instead of citing the book itself (incidentally something which Alan Dershowitz did as well; see the "Dershowitz-Finkelstein affair"; and in which, curiously, Jayjg was involved in defending Dershowitz's side in the article)

Now Jayjg shows up and runs a google search on the source and it turns up in a holocaust denial web site. Jayjg, being the master of deduction and logic that he is, decides that PR's source is actually the holocaust denial web site and then, without questioning PR, bans him. When PR is questioning he admits his mistake in citing sources and produces the book where he got his material from. Somewhere between the block and someone talking to PR, an arbcom case is started, and the circus begins.

Now, its obvious that when the arbcom accepted the case they expected to be rubber stamping Jayjg; when it turned out that he might be wrong, most of them ran for the hills (similar to what happened with the Cla68 case). SlimVirgin and the usual gang suit up to defend Jayjg and turn the workshop into a meandering mess; there's a nice little conversation between SlimVirgin and 6SJ7 about how PR could still be a holocaust denier and how he could still be a visitor to the holocaust denial website, they just don't know; there's a nice little insinuation by SlimVirgin (who obviously hasn't read the book) that PR got his material from the holocaust denial web site because of some verbiage that appears in the website but not in the book (execept, ooops.... it's pointed out later by someone who has read the book that that verbiage does appear in the book). Basically the usual misdirection, false accusations, innuendo, and clouding the issue that these guys are so good at.

Most of the arbs have, of course, by this time, disappeared. There is a motion to dismiss (also strangely reminiscent of the Cla68 case), since obviously the case can only be about PR's wrongdoing and not Jayjg's. Jpgordan shows up to tell PR to basically suck it up and the whole thing disappears with basically no apology from Jayjg.

Interestingly, a couple of months later, PR is back on ANI (he still hasn't quite gotten the trick of editing wikipedia properly), and who shows up wanting to "mentor" PR....? Yes, User:Avi. The same user Avi who, it would later turn out, was in Jayjg's little gang of back watchers. His little trick seems to be showing up to discussions and pretending to be uninvolved and neutral, and yet always somehow ending up supporting Jayjg's position. The same Avi who is still apparently watching Jayjg's back in the latest case without quite disclosing that he was on the same mailing list the Jayjg used to coordinate editing articles with like-minded editors.
+Quote Post
gomi

QUOTE(trenton @ Mon 27th April 2009, 3:52pm) *

Well, I see that no one has mentioned one of the most farcical "cases" involving Jayjg.

Well remembered. For those interested in the original topic as observed here on the Review, look here.
+Quote Post
Kato

dhd

Au contraire.

I think that this: Wikipedia:Requests for arbitration/Allegations of apartheid was the most farcical case involving Jayjg. This was when Jayjg and cronies, furious at not being able to remove their hated Israel and Apartheid article, conspire to create a whole series of controversial articles on every nation on the planet "and allegations of Apartheid". Swamping deletion debates with coordinated cronies to keep each and every one of the offending articles. Essentially setting light to half of Wikipedia in their fury.

This act was perhaps the most disruptive WP:POINT escapade in the site's history. And Jayjg got away with it.

QUOTE(trenton @ Mon 27th April 2009, 11:52pm) *

SlimVirgin and the usual gang suit up to defend Jayjg and turn the workshop into a meandering mess; there's a nice little conversation between SlimVirgin and 6SJ7 about how PR could still be a holocaust denier and how he could still be a visitor to the holocaust denial website, they just don't know; there's a nice little insinuation by SlimVirgin (who obviously hasn't read the book) that PR got his material from the holocaust denial web site because of some verbiage that appears in the website but not in the book (execept, ooops.... it's pointed out later by someone who has read the book that that verbiage does appear in the book). Basically the usual misdirection, false accusations, innuendo, and clouding the issue that these guys are so good at.

Here's a great quote. Having conceded that PalestineRemembered didn't get the cite from a Holocaust denial site and that the allegation was false, Slim notes that PalestineRemembered going to such as site is "not beyond the bounds of real possibility"! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)

QUOTE(SlimVirgin)
The point is that PalestineRemembered has edited in such a way that his taking material from a Holocaust denial site is not beyond the bounds of real possibility, given his obsession with "Zionists."

Marvellous. It's like Witch-Trials never happened.
+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

QUOTE(trenton @ Mon 27th April 2009, 10:52pm) *
Jpgordan shows up to tell PR to basically suck it up and the whole thing disappears with basically no apology from Jayjg.

Those were indeed dark times. Note that JPGordon showed up recently to strenuously object to the proposed sanctions on Jayjg.

+Quote Post
The Joy

I am a millipede! I am amazing!

Member No.: 982

Shouldn't opposes have detailed rationales than just statements like "too draconian" or "too stupid?"

While input from community members is welcomed, there is no policy saying arbitrators have to listen or take into account comments from non-arbitrators (save Jimbo, perhaps).

So, Jpgordon and 6SJ7 are wasting their time. If Kirill is seriously considering these sanctions, then he must have some ample support from other arbitrators.

Jayjg's days are numbered, but will that really change anything? His POV cabal is still strong and, while losing Jayjg's technical powers will be a loss, they'll still have their power.
+Quote Post
tarantino

the Dude abides

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Mon 27th April 2009, 7:45am) *

on Jay's ass which has evolved to the point of operating a computer?

6SJ7 has been known to edit from a law office in the NY area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...&oldid=26405917

He's made about 4000 edits. There's 115 articles in common between him and Jayjg, almost all relating to Israeli, Jewish or Middle Eastern topics.

They've both voted in 13 RFAs and disagreed once, in what was 6SJ7's first vote ever.

More telling though is in the 33 AFDs that they both have voted in, they never disagreed. I didn't check any of the other XFDs.
+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

QUOTE(The Joy @ Mon 27th April 2009, 11:50pm) *

Shouldn't opposes have detailed rationales than just statements like "too draconian" or "too stupid?"

While input from community members is welcomed, there is no policy saying arbitrators have to listen or take into account comments from non-arbitrators (save Jimbo, perhaps).

So, Jpgordon and 6SJ7 are wasting their time. If Kirill is seriously considering these sanctions, then he must have some ample support from other arbitrators.

Jayjg's days are numbered, but will that really change anything? His POV cabal is still strong and, while losing Jayjg's technical powers will be a loss, they'll still have their power.

Well, I hope that the next book written on Wikipedia's history by Andrew Lih or whoever addresses the years 2005-2009(?) when a few cabals led by admins basically had a free hand to do what they wanted to in certain topic areas. If Wikipedia is able to find and implement a lasting solution to the cabalism and "vested, but problematic contributor" problems, then this chapter in Wikipedia history should deserve some historical perspective and analysis.

Anyway, if these proposed sanctions on Jayjg do pass, I wonder if that would help quell the problems that the "pro-Israel" cabal has been causing to Wikipedia? I haven't checked closely, but it appears that the FeloniousMonk desysopp was effective at correcting the ID-cab's behavior, or at least toned it down to an acceptable level, as far as I'm aware.

+Quote Post
KimvdLinde

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Sun 26th April 2009, 11:33pm) *

Agreed, long overdue!
+Quote Post
Warui desu

QUOTE(The Joy @ Tue 28th April 2009, 1:50am) *

They should, if wikipedia was actually about rational debate and not about the number of "me too!"'s posting.
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Mon 27th April 2009, 4:57pm) *
Well, I hope that the next book written on Wikipedia's history by Andrew Lih or whoever addresses the years 2005-2009(?) when a few cabals led by admins basically had a free hand to do what they wanted to in certain topic areas.

Whoever writes such a book will have plenty to write about. The Israel gang is only the most obvious and egregious abuser of NPOV.

Don't forget the bestiality gang, the pedophilia gang (which has been little documented), and the various gangs focusing on fancruft subjects (Simpsons, Futurama, South Park, Star Trek, Stargate, etc.)....plus a number of disputes over ethnic-related articles (Armenian vs. Azeri, Serbs vs. everyone else, on and on).

There was a recent WR thread about the bizarre edit scene surrounding Barry Manilow.
It doesn't even scratch the surface of the crazy.
+Quote Post
The Adversary

CT (Check Troll)

QUOTE(gomi @ Mon 27th April 2009, 11:03pm) *

QUOTE(trenton @ Mon 27th April 2009, 3:52pm) *

Well remembered. For those interested in the original topic as observed here on the Review, look here.

Oh yes. And note that the person who got PalestineRemembered off the hook, by showing that he indeed had quoted from a book, and not from some neo-Nazi web-site, was one of the few editors in WP´s I-P region at the time who actually read books: Zero0000. Name sounds familiar? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wink.gif) No wonder they disliked him, for the same reason they disliked KimvdL: they revealed their lies (In Kim´s case: the lies of Guy M.)
+Quote Post
Kato

dhd

The "evidence"* at this case is a riot.

Evidence presented by Coppertwig

Unwelcome statements about editors

Scott MacDonald: "POV pushing", "articles distorted by him" [591]
G-Dett: "tricked", "donning his Humpty Dumpty mask", "giant egg", "doesn't know what the idiomatic phrase 'what is today' means" [600], "transgression", "shell game" [601], "editorial dishonesty" [602]

"Giant egg"? Is that a personal attack?

This statement by DocGlasgow is deemed inappropriate because it calls Jayjg a "POV pusher". If that were the case, then Jayjg and SlimV would have been banned long ago as barely a day went past without them making that accusation of others.

*"Evidence" at Wikipedia Arbitration sessions really just means numerous interferers showing up and poisoning the well with any assertions they can get away with.
+Quote Post
Eva Destruction

Fat Cat

QUOTE(Kato @ Tue 28th April 2009, 11:42pm) *

[size=4]
G-Dett: "tricked", "donning his Humpty Dumpty mask", "giant egg", "doesn't know what the idiomatic phrase 'what is today' means" [600], "transgression", "shell game" [601], "editorial dishonesty" [602]

"Giant egg"? Is that a personal attack?

If anyone's going to play a shell game surely a giant egg is most qualified?
+Quote Post
KimvdLinde

QUOTE(The Adversary @ Mon 27th April 2009, 9:45pm) *

Oh yes. And note that the person who got PalestineRemembered off the hook, by showing that he indeed had quoted from a book, and not from some neo-Nazi web-site, was one of the few editors in WP´s I-P region at the time who actually read books: Zero0000. Name sounds familiar? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wink.gif) No wonder they disliked him, for the same reason they disliked KimvdL: they revealed their lies (In Kim´s case: the lies of Guy M.)

Yeah, JayJG and SlimVirgin were the main reasons I was gone from Wikipedia for a long time. I am now back, but limit myself to a few fields with little if no issues, parrots and horse mainly......
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

QUOTE(Kato @ Mon 27th April 2009, 4:20pm) *

Au contraire.

I think that this: Wikipedia:Requests for arbitration/Allegations of apartheid was the most farcical case involving Jayjg. This was when Jayjg and cronies, furious at not being able to remove their hated Israel and Apartheid article, conspire to create a whole series of controversial articles on every nation on the planet "and allegations of Apartheid". Swamping deletion debates with coordinated cronies to keep each and every one of the offending articles. Essentially setting light to half of Wikipedia in their fury.

This act was perhaps the most disruptive WP:POINT escapade in the site's history. And Jayjg got away with it.

QUOTE(trenton @ Mon 27th April 2009, 11:52pm) *

SlimVirgin and the usual gang suit up to defend Jayjg and turn the workshop into a meandering mess; there's a nice little conversation between SlimVirgin and 6SJ7 about how PR could still be a holocaust denier and how he could still be a visitor to the holocaust denial website, they just don't know; there's a nice little insinuation by SlimVirgin (who obviously hasn't read the book) that PR got his material from the holocaust denial web site because of some verbiage that appears in the website but not in the book (execept, ooops.... it's pointed out later by someone who has read the book that that verbiage does appear in the book). Basically the usual misdirection, false accusations, innuendo, and clouding the issue that these guys are so good at.

Here's a great quote. Having conceded that PalestineRemembered didn't get the cite from a Holocaust denial site and that the allegation was false, Slim notes that PalestineRemembered going to such as site is "not beyond the bounds of real possibility"! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)

QUOTE(SlimVirgin)
The point is that PalestineRemembered has edited in such a way that his taking material from a Holocaust denial site is not beyond the bounds of real possibility, given his obsession with "Zionists."

Good times. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
The Adversary

CT (Check Troll)

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Wed 29th April 2009, 3:09pm) *

QUOTE(Kato @ Mon 27th April 2009, 4:20pm) *

QUOTE(SlimVirgin)

Good times. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

Anyone remember "Alice in Wonderland"; where the Queen punish you for the sins you might commit? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
Kato

dhd

QUOTE(The Adversary @ Wed 29th April 2009, 4:17pm) *

Anyone remember "Alice in Wonderland"; where the Queen punish you for the sins you might commit? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)

Watch your tongue, you Giant Egg.
+Quote Post
Kato

dhd

More comedy here from that old PalestineRemembered arbitration case.

So Jayjg went to the Admins noticeboard to publicly make a false allegation about PalestineR sourcing Holocaust Denial websites. Then people complained vociferously about the allegation. But according to Slim, it's actually their fault, not Jayjg's:

QUOTE(SlimVirgin)
I believe in being responsible and using common sense. What a responsible admin would have done in this case is quietly e-mail Jay and point out to him that there was evidence that PR had taken the material from a legit source.
+Quote Post
Lar

"His blandness goes to 11!"

Member No.: 4,290

QUOTE(Kato @ Wed 29th April 2009, 11:36am) *

So Jayjg went to the Admins noticeboard to publicly make a false allegation about PalestineR sourcing Holocaust Denial websites. Then people complained vociferously about the allegation. But according to Slim, it's actually their fault, not Jayjg's:

QUOTE(SlimVirgin)
I believe in being responsible and using common sense. What a responsible admin would have done in this case is quietly e-mail Jay and point out to him that there was evidence that PR had taken the material from a legit source.

I could be mistaken but I believe that both SV and Jayjg have been sanctioned, or at least cautioned, (I can dig up cites if it's important) for doing things publicly (rather than first emailing or otherwise quietly contacting someone).

Perhaps it is faulty logic but does that mean SV therefore is not a responsible admin under her own definition?
+Quote Post
The Adversary

CT (Check Troll)

QUOTE(Lar @ Wed 29th April 2009, 4:57pm) *

QUOTE(Kato @ Wed 29th April 2009, 11:36am) *

QUOTE(SlimVirgin)

I could be mistaken but I believe that both SV and Jayjg have been sanctioned, or at least cautioned, (I can dig up cites if it's important) for doing things publicly (rather than first emailing or otherwise quietly contacting someone).

Perhaps it is faulty logic but does that mean SV therefore is not a responsible admin under her own definition?

Cough, cough.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Req...ests#October_08
The Committee reminds the users who brought the matter into the public arena rather than to a suitable dispute resolution process—in particular, SlimVirgin—that dispute resolution procedures rather than public invective remain the preferred course for addressing matters of user conduct.

+Quote Post
Heat

Tenured

An arb has noticed Jayjg's "lack of participation" in his own ArbComm case

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=286022545

Hi Jay, I would like to see you participate in the Workshop of the West Bank case, or some indication of why you are unable to do so, privately if need be. There are some proposals that affect you, and your lack of participation, without an explanation that I am aware of, is very unusual to say the least. You were in the thick of this West Bank mess when it happened; now we are trying to sort this out in what should be a collaborative process, and your absence would be unfortunate. It is good that you have submitted evidence, but it is also important to share your views on how you receive the evidence submitted by others, and the resulting proposals. <span style="font-variant:small-caps">[[User:Jayvdb|John Vandenberg]] <sup>'''([[User talk:Jayvdb|chat]])'''</sup></span> 16:24, 29 April 2009 (UTC)

Can you hear the sound of drums?

And on the workshop page itself, it appears that Kirill's proposals have some support where it counts http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=286872461

This post has been edited by Heat:
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(Heat @ Thu 30th April 2009, 9:17am) *

An arb has noticed Jayjg's "lack of participation" in his own ArbComm case

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=286022545

Hi Jay, I would like to see you participate in the Workshop of the West Bank case, or some indication of why you are unable to do so, privately if need be. There are some proposals that affect you, and your lack of participation, without an explanation that I am aware of, is very unusual to say the least. You were in the thick of this West Bank mess when it happened; now we are trying to sort this out in what should be a collaborative process, and your absence would be unfortunate. It is good that you have submitted evidence, but it is also important to share your views on how you receive the evidence submitted by others, and the resulting proposals. <span style="font-variant:small-caps">[[User:Jayvdb|John Vandenberg]] <sup>'''([[User talk:Jayvdb|chat]])'''</sup></span> 16:24, 29 April 2009 (UTC)

Can you hear the sound of drums?

In the WP Kangaroo Kourt of the Vigilante Kommittee, one is supposed to act as one's own counsel if one can't find anybody who is willing to do it. There's no pool of public defenders that the Kourt can appoint for you if there's nobody left of your side who has any credibility. Which is the case, here.

I'd shed more tears if Jayjg hadn't abused this very system himself many a time. What goes around, tends to come around. The fickle finger of wiki power has put the writing up on the wall about this sort of thing for some time, and Jay hasn't translated it.

Let me help:

MENE, MENE, TEKEL, and PARSBONE. This is the interpretation: MENE: fate and abuse have numbered the days of your Kabal and brought it to an end. TEKEL: you have been weighed on the scales of Arbcom and found wanting: PERES-BONE, your advocacy gig is divided and given to supporters of Shimon Peres and David Shankbone.

Not much time left, bub.
+Quote Post
Heat

Tenured

Voting has begun
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Req...oposed_decision
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

I am concerned about the obligatory show of "even-handedness," in that the findings of fact against G-Dett are very weakly supported by the evidence (particularly when compared to those against Jayjg,) yet the penalties proposed are equivalent (except that G-Dett cannot be deprived of checkuser, oversight, etc., since she doesn't possess these gnarly powers.) Jayjg's recidivism ought to be sufficient grounds for a permanent, unqualified banning from the project.
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Thu 30th April 2009, 8:21pm) *

The fickle finger of wiki power has put the writing up on the wall about this sort of thing for some time, and Jay hasn't translated it.
See Heinrich Heine's commentary.
+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Sun 3rd May 2009, 12:29pm) *

I am concerned about the obligatory show of "even-handedness," in that the findings of fact against G-Dett are very weakly supported by the evidence (particularly when compared to those against Jayjg,) yet the penalties proposed are equivalent (except that G-Dett cannot be deprived of checkuser, oversight, etc., since she doesn't possess these gnarly powers.) Jayjg's recidivism ought to be sufficient grounds for a permanent, unqualified banning from the project.

The thing is, G-Dett is more intelligent than 99% of regular Wikipedia editors, including myself. I don't know why she is wasting time with editing Wikipedia and humiliating Jayjg when she should be writing books, which I, for one, would be buying and reading. Banning her from the I/P articles does her a favor. If she wants to make any other subject's articles great, she should be able to do so effortlessly.

Banning editors like Jayjg, on the other hand, from the I/P articles should be no big deal. He doesn't deserve to edit them. He's a POV-pusher and an unethical internet participant. Ban him, forget about him, and let's get back to doing what we like to do, building NPOV (we try to anyway) articles about historical subjects that we find interesting.

+Quote Post
The Adversary

CT (Check Troll)

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Sun 3rd May 2009, 1:42pm) *

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Sun 3rd May 2009, 12:29pm) *

The thing is, G-Dett is more intelligent than 99% of regular Wikipedia editors, including myself. I don't know why she is wasting time with editing Wikipedia and humiliating Jayjg when she should be writing books, which I, for one, would be buying and reading. <snip>

I´ll join the queue for those wanting to buy any book written by G-Dett.

My own favourite G-Dett-ism was during the Matanmoreland-case, when she wondered if there was any sense in her providing more evidence, or if she could rather spend her time baking bread ......for her cat (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Kato

dhd

Arbitrators need to be careful when they restrict the likes of Jayjg. Having seen the Godfather style trail of revenge against those who challenged SlimVirgin last year (FT2, Lar, Charles Matthews etc), it is conceivable that a similar fate will await those arbs who vote against Jayjg.

Wily nested troublemakers can call on a flock of disciples to do the dirty work, while they themselves remove their fingerprints from the scene of the crime when the drama subsides.

Wikipedia has shown it is helpless in the face of such social manipulation and gameplaying. Expect a coordinated chorus of resistance to any restraints on Jayjg, followed by a covert operation of revenge against those who made the effort.
+Quote Post
trenton

Yeah, the remedies are kinda bizarre. One side wants to introduce and use novel terminology and both side get banned. That's like banning vandals and those who revert them for "revert warring". Besides, on one side, you have an esteemed "functionary", so can you blame others for following his example? Kangaroo justice, indeed.

edit: not to mention that most of these people are first time arbcom participants, while this is Jayjg's 6th? time....

This post has been edited by trenton:
+Quote Post
Heat

Tenured

Ironic statement of the year:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=287681189

I would add to that, if this passes, get ready for some extra stress on the checkuser process... and for a general decrease in "trust" (in an area where trust is already difficult to come by), because checkuser cannot always produce a solid conclusion. If such a large number of active editors are banned from this large topic area, I predict that every "new" editor who shows up in this area will be suspected, by someone, of being a sockpuppet of one of the banned users. And quite possibly, some will be, but most won't be. It won't matter. The opportunities for neo-[[McCarthyism|McCarthyist]] hysteria on Wikipedia are mind-boggling. People will be seeing sockpuppets under every bed and around every corner. [[User:6SJ7|6SJ7]] ([[User talk:6SJ7|talk]]) 18:17, 3 May 2009 (UTC)-

So 6SJ7 is warning that the consequence of Jay and others being sanctioned is a Mcarthyist witch hunt using CheckUser? I'm amazed 6SJ7 could say this without the least hint of irony given that that's exactly how Jayjg has been using Checkuser for years.

And do I read a suggestion there that Jayjg might sockpuppet to evade his topic ban?
+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

QUOTE(trenton @ Sun 3rd May 2009, 4:00pm) *

Yeah, the remedies are kinda bizarre. One side wants to introduce and use novel terminology and both side get banned. That's like banning vandals and those who revert them for "revert warring". Besides, on one side, you have an esteemed "functionary", so can you blame others for following his example? Kangaroo justice, indeed.

edit: not to mention that most of these people are first time arbcom participants, while this is Jayjg's 6th? time....

Well, if they hadn't edit warred they would probably be ok. I think the "Palestinian side" like MeteorMaker and Nishidani are a little stunned that they won the argument, but ended up topic-banned along with the "Pro-Israel" editors. Perhaps one lesson for interested observers to take from this is that edit warring will not be looked upon nicely by this committee.

+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Sun 3rd May 2009, 5:55pm) *

Well, if they hadn't edit warred they would probably be ok. I think the "Palestinian side" like MeteorMaker and Nishidani are a little stunned that they won the argument, but ended up topic-banned along with the "Pro-Israel" editors. Perhaps one lesson for interested observers to take from this is that edit warring will not be looked upon nicely by this committee.

I haven't taken the time to review their editing style (other than to note Nishi's poetic gifts.) But I fear the possibility that no one will stand up to died-in-the-wool POV pushers like Jayjg, for fear that the mere act of objecting will convict the objector of "edit warring."
+Quote Post
Tarc

Fat Cat

Another gem;

Oppose Until I read this proposal I very much respected Kirill. As fellow member of the military history wikiproject I had had only positive interactions with him. Now I am sad to say that all of that respect has evaporated. This suggestion is inappropriate to the point of being offensive.- Moshe Constantine Hassan Al-Silverburg | Talk 03:46, 1 May 2009 (UTC)

The Jayjg-disciples act like a bunch of savages whose deity statue was just toppled off the pedestal and dragged through the mud.

This post has been edited by Tarc:
+Quote Post
pedrito

Neophyte

And while this is going on... Tiamut left in disgust as the usual gang of anti-Palestinian editors piled-on to sabotage a WP:GA and WP:DYN she was working on.

I mourn this loss.

Cheers, Pedrito
+Quote Post
Heat

Tenured

And our old friend SlimVirgin is in the middle of it http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...&action=history though since she's conducting dozens of tiny edits rather than doing a major edit at once it's hard to follow. Is she actually warring with Jaakobou?

This post has been edited by Heat:
+Quote Post
trenton

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Sun 3rd May 2009, 7:55pm) *

Yes, but what exactly do you do if you don't edit war? The other side will have the article the way it wants, and they can talk indefinitely. Try to find consensus? They have a large enough group of editors so that you won't find consensus that the earth is not flat. Take it to arbcom? They'll reject the case because everybody's talking and there's no edit warring. Is it any wonder that some people snap and act rude and edit war?
+Quote Post
pedrito

Neophyte

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Mon 4th May 2009, 2:55am) *

Have they really "won the argument"? There are no findings regarding [[WP:NCGN]] or stone-walling, so there's been nothing won by everybody getting banned.

Cheers, Pedrito
+Quote Post
UseOnceAndDestroy

Ãœber Member

Group: Moderators

QUOTE(trenton @ Wed 6th May 2009, 3:43pm) *

Yes, but what exactly do you do if you don't edit war? The other side will have the article the way it wants, and they can talk indefinitely. Try to find consensus? They have a large enough group of editors so that you won't find consensus that the earth is not flat. Take it to arbcom? They'll reject the case because everybody's talking and there's no edit warring. Is it any wonder that some people snap and act rude and edit war?

Uh-huh - that's exactly the process that wikipedia encourages, in the absence of named expert authority with a final say on content.
+Quote Post
gomi

QUOTE(UseOnceAndDestroy @ Wed 6th May 2009, 8:40am) *
QUOTE(trenton @ Wed 6th May 2009, 3:43pm) *
Yes, but what exactly do you do if you don't edit war? The other side ... can talk indefinitely. Try to find consensus? ... You won't find consensus that the earth is not flat.
Uh-huh - that's exactly the process that wikipedia encourages, in the absence of named expert authority with a final say on content.

More accurately, a systematic lack of authorities, and ways to identify them, combined with an elevation of amateurs to an equal status with experts, and then a lack of process by which even learned people can reach and protect a consensus from eroding.

As has been said before: "Wikipedia is a system that ensures that twenty idiots and one expert are indistinguishable from twenty-one idiots". It's a crude, infantile parody of an academic peer-review system, with results similar to what you would get if you gave a pound of flour, some eggs, milk, and oil to a toddler and told them to make pancakes.
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.
Member No.: 981

QUOTE(gomi @ Wed 6th May 2009, 11:11am) *

As has been said before: "Wikipedia is a system that ensures that twenty idiots and one expert are indistinguishable from twenty-one idiots".

This is a brilliant aphorism and is completely true in relation to any outside observer. It does leave out the subjective experience of the one expert, who can of course tell the difference. This accounts for much of heartbreak of Wikipedia.
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

τὰ δέ μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,619

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Wed 6th May 2009, 1:55pm) *

QUOTE(gomi @ Wed 6th May 2009, 11:11am) *

As has been said before: "Wikipedia is a system that ensures that twenty idiots and one expert are indistinguishable from twenty-one idiots".

This is a brilliant aphorism and is completely true in relation to any outside observer. It does leave out the subjective experience of the one expert, who can of course tell the difference. This accounts for much of heartbreak of Wikipedia.

If you keep in mind the adage about wine and sewage, I think you will find that it's more like this:

"Wikipedia is a system that ensures that twenty experts and one idiot are indistinguishable from twenty-one idiots"

Ja Ja (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/boing.gif)
+Quote Post
No one of consequence

I want to stare at the seaside and do nothing at all

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Wed 6th May 2009, 6:06pm) *

If you keep in mind the adage about wine and sewage, I think you will find that it's more like this:

"Wikipedia is a system that ensures that twenty experts and one idiot are indistinguishable from twenty-one idiots"

Does Wikipedia even have twenty experts?
+Quote Post
The Joy

I am a millipede! I am amazing!

Member No.: 982

QUOTE(No one of consequence @ Wed 6th May 2009, 2:31pm) *

If it does, they are all banned, I imagine. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
trenton

QUOTE(The Joy @ Wed 6th May 2009, 1:52pm) *
QUOTE(No one of consequence @ Wed 6th May 2009, 2:31pm) *

If it does, they are all banned, I imagine. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/dry.gif)

They did have this one theology professor, though....
+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

QUOTE(pedrito @ Wed 6th May 2009, 3:00pm) *

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Mon 4th May 2009, 2:55am) *

Have they really "won the argument"? There are no findings regarding [[WP:NCGN]] or stone-walling, so there's been nothing won by everybody getting banned.

Cheers, Pedrito

As far as ArbCom is concerned, you're right, they are not stating implicitly or explicitly that you won the argument.

QUOTE(trenton @ Wed 6th May 2009, 2:43pm) *

That's the nature of a wiki. Sometimes you can't win even if you're right. Edit warring is not the answer. I recently lost an argument here about mentioning the Nazis in the lead for the Martin Luther article. Me and several others don't believe that the Nazis should be mentioned in the intro. Unfortunately, there are enough editors opposing my view to keep me from declaring consensus and removing it. Me and the few editors that take my side could start edit warring, but that's against the rules. So, I/we lose. That's the wiki.

There are other ways I could address this, I could file an RfC (which I might do), go to one of the content noticeboards, or request mediation. One or all of those might work, or they might not. Anyway, that's the within-the-rules process. If I don't like it, I can leave. Or, I can secretly recruit a bunch of like-minded people to come and support me. That's against the rules. If I get caught doing that, however, I deserve to be banned. Catching people doing that is kind of difficult, isn't it? As you can see, Wikipedia has some glaring weaknesses.

+Quote Post
Casliber

Unfortunately arbcom cannot rule on content, so like many of these type of debates, we get left with a vacuum. I really hope that everyone gets involved in building a consensus on the appropriate terminology to use, which has started on the WP:IPCOLL page.

see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_tal...placename_usage

Cas
+Quote Post
KimvdLinde

QUOTE(Casliber @ Wed 6th May 2009, 9:01pm) *

Unfortunately arbcom cannot rule on content, so like many of these type of debates, we get left with a vacuum. I really hope that everyone gets involved in building a consensus on the appropriate terminology to use, which has started on the WP:IPCOLL page.

see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_tal...placename_usage

Cas

Well, the current ruling is very narrow on editwarring, and ignores the rest of the problems such as stonewalling etc, which can be sanctioned as well. However, it is painfully obvious that the ArbCom once again will just go with a braod brush and refuses to look into the details. if they would to the latter, the ruling would become dramatically different.
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

QUOTE(Casliber @ Wed 6th May 2009, 6:01pm) *

Unfortunately arbcom cannot rule on content, so like many of these type of debates, we get left with a vacuum.
The arbcom has been ruling on content for years, just not openly. They sanction the content they prefer by means of double standards in how they treat editors.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)