FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Neoliberalism and Wikipedia -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Neoliberalism and Wikipedia, by "Nick"
thekohser

Group: Regulars

I'm sure that there will be several people here who can compete on the level of this blogger, "Nick".

I couldn't, so I just made the usual comment about how Jimmy Wales isn't even the "founder" of Wikipedia. Waiting for approval.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

Group: Contributors
From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.
Member No.: 981

QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 26th April 2010, 7:08am) *

I'm sure that there will be several people here who can compete on the level of this blogger, "Nick".

I couldn't, so I just made the usual comment about how Jimmy Wales isn't even the "founder" of Wikipedia. Waiting for approval.

This is related to some of the things I've been saying about Wikipedia purporting to be "collaborative" project while actually modeling highly individualist market transactions. The author (Mirowski, not "Nick") is coming at this from the other side. He believes that WP purports to market based (because Wales says he was inspired by Hayek) but is does not achieve this at all instead provides some "lowest common denominator" kind of substitute.

His interesting quote:

The conviction that the truth emerges from random interactions of variously challenged participants in the precincts of Wiki-world (sometimes retailed in the popular press as “the wisdom of crowds”) only holds water if we are allowed great latitude in the definition of truth.

Roughly translates to "The Invisible Hand on Wikipedia results in trash because it is not a real Invisible Hand" where as I would say "The Invisible Hand on Wikipedia does not work because Invisible Hands don't really work."

I didn't know that Wales actually openly agreed (by being "inspired" by Hayek) that Wikipedia simulates market transaction rather than relied on "collaboration."

"Nick" seems to a have more favorable view of WP than either Mirowski or myself.
+Quote Post
Web Fred

Pervert & Swinger

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 17,141

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Mon 26th April 2010, 5:08pm) *
He believes that WP purports to market based (because Wales says he was inspired by Hayek) but is does not achieve this at all instead provides some "lowest common denominator" kind of substitute.

I was inspired by Hayek once, but only because she defeated the Shit Monster in Dogma.
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

τὰ δέ μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,619

QUOTE(Cunningly Linguistic @ Wed 5th May 2010, 7:45pm) *

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Mon 26th April 2010, 5:08pm) *

He believes that WP purports to market based (because Wales says he was inspired by Hayek) but is does not achieve this at all instead provides some "lowest common denominator" kind of substitute.

I was inspired by Hayek once, but only because she defeated the Shit Monster in Dogma.

That's EZ PZ compared to defeating the Dogma in Shit Monster.

Jon (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)