FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FT2's state visit -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> FT2's state visit, So how was it for you?
Peter Damian

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

Group: Regulars

I'm not sure what to make of it. But I won't say anything in any case, because I would like to hear what the uninvolved parties think. (The involved parties being myself, Probivouac, and Docknell - could I ask them not to comment, please).

This post has been edited by Peter Damian:
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Carruthers

the Omnipotent Autocrat of La La land

Group: Contributors

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Mon 1st September 2008, 9:00pm) *

I'm not sure what to make of it. But I won't say anything in any case, because I would like to hear what the uninvolved parties think. (The involved parties being myself, Probivouac, and Docknell - could I ask them not to comment, please).

I think that he thought, like quite a few people (Shankers comes to mind) that he could manipulate the WR into doing his bidding...Unfortunately, he wasn't prepared for what he got and what he's getting.

Which is why I think that we're going to see a "run away! run away!" manoeuvre any minute now....
+Quote Post
ThurstonHowell3rd

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Mon 1st September 2008, 2:00pm) *

Why does FT2 need to use so many words? FT2's postings are tedious to read and are difficult for people, such as me who are not familiar with the subject, to follow.

This post has been edited by ThurstonHowell3rd:
+Quote Post
wikiwhistle

Postmaster

QUOTE(ThurstonHowell3rd @ Mon 1st September 2008, 10:16pm) *

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Mon 1st September 2008, 2:00pm) *

Why does FT2 need to use so many words? FT2's postings are tedious to read and are difficult for people, such as me who are not familiar with the subject, to follow.

Lol it could be far worse, less crypic maybe but much longer, see User:Abd.
+Quote Post
Vicky

I didn't find it very helpful, unless looking into the odder corners of someone's soul is helpful.
+Quote Post
The Joy

I am a millipede! I am amazing!

Group: Members
Member No.: 982

I must admit that I rarely read much of what FT2 says due to "tl:dr", but his level of aggression against Docknell was very surprising, especially for an arbitrator. There's just this bad vibe I get from him. I feel like he's hiding hostility in his verbose speeches. He's very cold and very mechanical in his treatment of people. Maybe I'm reading him wrong, but that's the feeling I've gotten from him and the "Hi (from FT2)" and "Pro's Question" threads.

I think FT2 is a Sith Lord.

(Peter, you do realize that FT2 can see and reply to this thread, right?)
+Quote Post
wikiwhistle

Postmaster

QUOTE(The Joy @ Mon 1st September 2008, 11:06pm) *

I must admit that I rarely read much of what FT2 says due to "tl:dr", but his level of aggression against Docknell was very surprising, especially for an arbitrator. There's just this bad vibe I get from him. I feel like he's hiding hostility in his verbose speeches. He's very cold and very mechanical in his treatment of people. Maybe I'm reading him wrong, but that's the feeling I've gotten from him and the "Hi (from FT2)" and "Pro's Question" threads.

I think FT2 is a Sith Lord.

(Peter, you do realize that FT2 can see and reply to this thread, right?)

I was very surprised at his tone towards Docknell and conspiracy theory about him. I agree with your assessment. I was surprised to have him introduce himself with 'hi' even. There is more to him than comes across in writing- (I met him at the Manchester meetup in Feb- I think that's ok to say now as he's open about sometimes being in the UK.)

He's wildly keen about this wikipedia lark, and was very excited about some ideas he had about it. It was mainly a social thing but he was really keen for the admins etc there to get behind his plans. Someone said they met him and it was 'all business'. I asked someone afterwards 'who was that really intense bloke?' (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif) (This is't necessarily a criticism, although it's not my personal personality style. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif) )
+Quote Post
Giggy

Ãœber Member

Group: Inactive
Member No.: 5,552

I get the feeling that FT2 now knows how people on Wikipedia feel when they are driven away shortly after joining (however justified).
+Quote Post
wikiwhistle

Postmaster

We didn't block him or anything though, did we? We just had a slightly heated debate (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
FT2

What's this "driven away" idea? I left a message for Greg Kohs when I had to go: "I'm not active online, or here, all day, so there'll routinely be delays between posts - sometimes long ones. Its not avoidance, it's trying to fit all that is needed, in. [...] If you could do me a favor, and forward this to those active in the current threads - I think thats kelly, tarantino, proabivouac, damian, at minimum? Just so that they know what's what."

It wasn't forwarded?
(Maybe Greg didn't see it yet)

This post has been edited by FT2:
+Quote Post
One

Postmaster General

I get the vibe that FT2 isn't the lashing-out type. He's not here to feed his ego, nor to chastise us for our fallen state, nor to study us as a Wikilogical curiosity. I've always felt that FT2 is more-or-less on the level in his interactions as an arbitrator, and probably here as well. I realize that's a minority opinion (and I have others--like the notion that Fred Bauder wasn't such a bad arb), but it is my considered opinion. He seemed genuinely concerned about Mantanmoreland, for example. I still count him as second best behind Newyorkbrad.

His acts are not always clever. Proabivouac was honestly wronged, for example, and his recent ArbCom screw-up is well-known, but FT2 seems sincere to me.
+Quote Post
Giggy

Ãœber Member

Group: Inactive
Member No.: 5,552

QUOTE(wikiwhistle @ Tue 2nd September 2008, 11:35am) *

We didn't block him or anything though, did we? We just had a slightly heated debate (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

Nah, we didn't, but we certainly didn't welcome him with open arms and give him a coffee and slice of cake, either.
+Quote Post
dogbiscuit

Could you run through Verifiability not Truth once more?

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,015

The main really obvious thing is his use of Bellman's Rule of Three. I think he thinks that if he says something often enough then it will be true, regardless of any comments against that position.

On the other hand, I can understand why he would give no quarter to Peter and Docknell given that they are severely on his case. I have an open mind whether he is simply misguidedly naive on NPOV on controversial subjects - the no consequences USENET philosophy that people will evaluate information and come to their own views, in spite of the fact that it is clear that the inability to maintain a NPOV article on controversial subjects demonstrates that it is a fallacy. Clearly, Peter and Docknell are trying to establish whether it is naivety or active promotion.

The main failing of FT2 is that he thinks other people are not as clever as him and that enough obfuscation will allow him to win an argument; I think that it just reduces his stature. I'm not a great one for yes/no answers when it is a world of grey, but as he is playing the political game, there are a few yes's and noes that he should give, even with qualifications. I am not sure those two words are in his vocabulary though. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Jacina

I agree with One about FT2.

Although I do agree that I sometimes skip the tl;dr (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
wikiwhistle

Postmaster

QUOTE(One @ Tue 2nd September 2008, 6:37am) *

I get the vibe that FT2 isn't the lashing-out type. He's not here to feed his ego, nor to chastise us for our fallen state, nor to study us as a Wikilogical curiosity. I've always felt that FT2 is more-or-less on the level in his interactions as an arbitrator, and probably here as well. I realize that's a minority opinion (and I have others--like the notion that Fred Bauder wasn't such a bad arb), but it is my considered opinion. He seemed genuinely concerned about Mantanmoreland, for example. I still count him as second best behind Newyorkbrad.

His acts are not always clever. Proabivouac was honestly wronged, for example, and his recent ArbCom screw-up is well-known, but FT2 seems sincere to me.

FT2's here as a sort of 'public relations' exercise, for himself as much as anyone I expect, after the close of wikimedia uk. While we were discussing his professional capacities and the wikimedia project with which he was involved, was when he turned up. And I can't really blame him.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's chosen to do this himself. He's just doing what he thinks is best. It remains to be seen whether it will work. But FT2's presence may mean he's discussed more nicely than he otherwise would have been. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smiling.gif) It's a sort of 'damage limitation' IMHO. Are the threads with what might be his real name connected with the close of wikimedia uk tarpitted or no-indexed? If so, it might be nice to make sure he knows as maybe he thinks this will come up in a google search for his name.
+Quote Post
Vicky

One thing's abundantly clear. The FT2 here did not use British spelling. If he's genuine, either he's a Yank or he's put on an act.
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

τὰ δέ μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,619

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Mon 1st September 2008, 5:00pm) *

I'm not sure what to make of it. But I won't say anything in any case, because I would like to hear what the uninvolved parties think. (The involved parties being myself, Probivouac, and Docknell — could I ask them not to comment, please).

Just by way of a 1st ¼ summary — or is it the ½ … no, guess not, unless the band is off today — anyway, I think it fair to say that All The Involved Parties (ATIPs) have as usual fallen for all the usual gambits of Wikipediot PR.

Butt until the ATIPs (= clue-deprived parties) learn to pull their heads out of Wikipediot posteriors they'll never develop sufficient perspective to reflect on Wikipediot premisses.

Jon (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/cool.gif)
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(FT2 @ Tue 2nd September 2008, 12:21am) *

What's this "driven away" idea? I left a message for Greg Kohs when I had to go: "I'm not active online, or here, all day, so there'll routinely be delays between posts - sometimes long ones. Its not avoidance, it's trying to fit all that is needed, in. [...] If you could do me a favor, and forward this to those active in the current threads - I think thats kelly, tarantino, proabivouac, damian, at minimum? Just so that they know what's what."

It wasn't forwarded?

Forwarding PMs on here is a really inefficient way to communicate, and I'm not so sure how to forward to multiple users, anyway. I do think I forwarded the note to Kelly Martin and to Peter Damian, but I couldn't fathom how to forward to more than "primary" and "other" recipient.

Oh, and I only got around to it this morning.

As I said, really inefficient.

And, why me? Do I look like John E. Potter?

Greg
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Member No.: 6,696

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 2nd September 2008, 9:47am) *
Forwarding PMs on here is a really inefficient way to communicate, and I'm not so sure how to forward to multiple users, anyway. I do think I forwarded the note to Kelly Martin and to Peter Damian, but I couldn't fathom how to forward to more than "primary" and "other" recipient.

I don't recalll getting any such message. Not that I really expect Greg to act as a social director for WR; I certainly haven't named him as my designated agent. It's not my like my email address is a secret, FT2; you can email me any time you want.
+Quote Post
House of Cards

Member No.: 6,114

QUOTE(Giggy @ Tue 2nd September 2008, 8:04am) *

Nah, we didn't, but we certainly didn't welcome him with open arms and give him a coffee and slice of cake, either.

There's cake?
+Quote Post
LessHorrid vanU

Devils Advocaat

I have to say that there was no indication that FT2 "read himself into" the place before arriving.

As Lar and NYB have shown you can be fully your WP personality here, but interact here in accordance to the mores and practices that are common. That FT2 didn't is disappointing for both a member of the ArbCom, who might be expected to observe the courtesies of dealing with people in the manner they find preferable, and in regard to any useful interaction he may have hoped to participate in. I have no clear idea why he chose to appear here.
+Quote Post
Vicky

QUOTE(House" of Cards @ Tue 2nd September 2008, 4:52pm) *

There's cake?

Sure.
(IMG:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/04/Pound_layer_cake.jpg)

QUOTE(LessHorrid" vanU @ Tue 2nd September 2008, 4:55pm) *

I have no clear idea why he chose to appear here.

He wanted to chat up Dogbiscuit?
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 2nd September 2008, 10:47am) *

QUOTE(FT2 @ Tue 2nd September 2008, 12:21am) *

What's this "driven away" idea? I left a message for Greg Kohs when I had to go: "I'm not active online, or here, all day, so there'll routinely be delays between posts — sometimes long ones. It's not avoidance, it's trying to fit all that is needed, in. […] If you could do me a favor, and forward this to those active in the current threads — I think thats kelly, tarantino, proabivouac, damian, at minimum? Just so that they know what's what."

It wasn't forwarded?

And, why me? Do I look like John E. Potter?

Greg

Oh Grate — the guy's just got here and already he's playing PrimeMajesterial games. Can't these Transparent Types function without multiple sekrit societies constantly running in the background? But thanks for reminding me to put FT2 on my ignore list. Like, maybe we should create a blocking category for Cross-Wiki PM-Spammer, not to mention AM Spammer and FM Spammer, too.

+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

QUOTE(House of Cards @ Tue 2nd September 2008, 11:52am) *

QUOTE(Giggy @ Tue 2nd September 2008, 8:04am) *

There's cake?

We'Re a strychtly BYOC (Bring Your Own Cyanide) party here — though Lord knows some people always seem to bring enough for everbuddy.

Tanks But No Tanks,

+Quote Post
FT2

QUOTE(wikiwhistle @ Tue 2nd September 2008, 5:16am) *

FT2's here as a sort of 'public relations' exercise, for himself as much as anyone I expect, after the close of wikimedia uk. While we were discussing his professional capacities and the wikimedia project with which he was involved, was when he turned up. And I can't really blame him.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's chosen to do this himself. He's just doing what he thinks is best. It remains to be seen whether it will work. But FT2's presence may mean he's discussed more nicely than he otherwise would have been. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif) It's a sort of 'damage limitation' IMHO. Are the threads with what might be his real name connected with the close of wikimedia uk tarpitted or no-indexed? If so, it might be nice to make sure he knows as maybe he thinks this will come up in a google search for his name.

I give Somey permission to quote my email of April 29 (and his reply if he wishes), as well as my email of last week (if needed), to address some of those questions. Please do.

There's an old saying that when all you have is a hammer, everything else starts to look like nails. It might be hard to believe someone could want to visit for dialog, and would want to know at least the views of credible critics, but if some here stopped believing everyone on Wikipedia is in a conspiracy and against them, and others on Wikipedia stopped believing every criticism and user here is disruptive, a lot of people who aren't on the extremes of either view would probably be happy.

My on-wiki role is simple - I'm a wikipedia administrator and editor. (I enjoy cleanup work, and edit a wide range of topics.) In December, I was voted by the community to sit for a 3 year term on a committee that handles some of wikipedia's most difficult disputes and privacy-related issues. I do that job till I burn out, till three years are up, or till choosing to resign. I took it up because I was handling disputes of that scale already and felt I could best help by offering that role, and because like any other admin and user I could see that Arbcom was hitting issues and I felt I might be able to help avoid some of them. Which has been a lot tougher than I thought, to be honest, and was made almost impossible when Newyorkbrad resigned at the exact same time of year that burnout often hits, also accompanied by Deskana's absence.

I don't see any conflict between my role there, and dialog here. It doesn't mean I agree with everything. It means I want to know a wider range of views than I might hear on Wikipedia alone, and discuss some issues with critics not just supporters. Also, a number of disputes start with doubts and uncertainties being discussed off-site; making it easier for users to ask actual questions early on could pay off. They could ask anyway, but sadly, people usually don't ask unless it's made easy to.

And now I need to go catch up on the last 24 hours posts.....
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

You are growing sleepy — very, very sleepy …

+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(FT2 @ Tue 2nd September 2008, 10:47am) *

There's an old saying that when all you have is a hammer, everything else starts to look like nails. It might be hard to believe someone could want to visit for dialog, and would want to know at least the views of credible critics, but if some here stopped believing everyone on Wikipedia is in a conspiracy and against them, and others on Wikipedia stopped believing every criticism and user here is disruptive, a lot of people who aren't on the extremes of either view would probably be happy.

Okay, let's see what we can do to start making you and the people who interact with you on WP a little happier.

Some issues are inherrently polarizing, because they involve differences in philosophical/ethical and theological views which are simply not compatable, and never will be. So the question is how to handle them on WP.

In the past the way it's ended up being done, is to summarize competing POVs within the same article while the article is small. As it grows, the various factions need their own space to "get away from" each other, as it will, and lay out their cases in peace. Subarticles are then spun-off. These are by definition NOT POV forks, so long as the various articles contain short summaries of the others, and links, so that walled gardens are not created.

Now, this eventually can work well (or as well as you can hope for, at least). A standard example is the Scientology article, which ONLY works because the various people who have strong points of view have been given 23 subarticles in which to do it. If you want any major POV regarding scientology, it's in there. There are separate articles for Criticism of Scientology, Ethics (Scientology), Scientology controversies, Scientology as a business, and so on.

Now, this process isn't perfect, and articles on religions aren't quite mirrors of each other. You'll find a Criticism of Catholicism and a Criticism of Mormonism article, just as you will for Scientology (these are criticisms of the beliefs themselves). And you'll find Anti-Catholicism and Anti-Mormonism (each with their own articles) defined as the prejudices and bigotries against the people who hold or practice the beliefs. Strangely, there is no Anti-Scientology as an article.

When it comes to other beliefs and actions, we begin to see a non-parallel process in operation. Within homosexuality there are no references to articles about "Criticism of homosexuality" (the ethical or health-related objection to the acts themselves, rather than the people who practice them or are drawn to them), by that term. Instead, we simply have an article on "homophobia" in which all this is defined as "irrational." What? This is very much like definining all objection to any Jewish belief as "anti-semitism" or "Jewphobia".

If you'd like a parallel, there is a long section in the Pork article about health risks in eating pork and there's an entire subarticle on Religious restrictions on the consumption of pork. Incredibly, the parallel article in homosexuality is simply called "religions and homosexuality." What happened to "restrictions" in the header? And there's nothing about additional health risks in men having sex with men, at all, in these days of AIDS (yeah, despite much politicking, it's still overwhelmingly a disease of IV drug users and men who have sex with men, and a gigantic amount of money has been wasted, admits the WHO recently, on "general education of schoolchildren" which should better have been used to target groups at risk). But eating pork chops and having anal sex are fairly parallel activities (though I suspect the pork chop habit is the safer). A decent encyclopedia would organize their discussion in the same ways.

Now, many fights about POV-pushing happen as small articles on things like paraphilias grow. Ultimately, many of these should probably be large enough to have some subarticles on anti-paraphilias and "Criticism of paraphilia X". As well as subs on religious proscriptions, ethics, business, and so on. What people trying to insert this stuff into the "main and only" article are doing, is simply signalling that such a fission is trying to take place. At this point, wise editors can allow to happen (as they did with the religious articles) or they can block it for more drama, as has happened with homeopathy, zoophilia, and so on.

What's not supposed to happen is that some admin who is supposedly familiar with the history of the way controversial articles have grown on WP, and with the appropriate ways of preventing edit wars, to show up on the middle of such a process where a paraphilia article is expanding, and say: "You're POV-pushing, [of course they are!] and since we officially are NPOV on WP, I'm going to block you if you do any more of this!"

That kind of thing speaks of both ignorance of the workings of WP, of the ongoing biases in what actually exists on WP, and (finally) of abuse of power. I believe I've seen you do it. If you come here to WR to defend it, we're going to rub your nose in it. And since there's not much you can do about that here, you can debate it rationally or slink off.

So. Ante up. Dialog(ue) over to you. Why not let the article on NLP grow in the same way as the article on Scientology? What's your problem with a "Criticism of zoophilia" article? Or, for that matter, an Anti-zoophilia article? We have an Anti-circumcision article (now redirected to "genital integrity"), but strangely no "Criticism of circumcision," or "Circumcisionophobia". Probably this is because neither side wants to be caught accusing the other of religious or cultural bigotry, even though it's no more or less bigotry than choosing (or not) to eat pork or choosing (or not) to have anal sex, or sex with animals.

The day you acknowledge that all these things are the same problem, and they can't be looked at as a nail to be pounded at with your banhammer when you meet some editor with a POV you don't like, is the day you start to learn the real difficulties of administration on WP. So, welcome to WR, FT2.

May you find it uncomfortable here.

This post has been edited by Milton Roe:
+Quote Post
Vicky

QUOTE(FT2 @ Tue 2nd September 2008, 6:47pm) *

It might be hard to believe someone could want to visit for dialog, and would want to know at least the views of credible critics, but if some here stopped believing everyone on Wikipedia is in a conspiracy and against them, and others on Wikipedia stopped believing every criticism and user here is disruptive, a lot of people who aren't on the extremes of either view would probably be happy.

Believe it or not, FT2, you're not the first senior Wikipedian to post here. We've had constructive engagement with several people, to the benefit of WP. And dialogue does mean answering people sensibly and constructively.
+Quote Post
Carruthers

QUOTE(FT2 @ Tue 2nd September 2008, 5:47pm) *

Did you really just type that? Did you understand what you were saying?

With all due respect, if you have typed this out and pasted this onto your screen before posting any of the stuff you've posted here over the past two days, you might not have made half of those posts.

You are new here. You have people with whom you are in ongoing, open conflicts.

Rather than diving in and making pronouncements about how you are right and they are wrong, perhaps you should....well, lurk more first and try to get a feel for what they are saying.

Your posts make you seem as if you are the last person who is interested in dialogue. Dialogue requires communications on both sides. You have been asked several direct questions and you have not even made the effort to say, clearly and concisely, "I can't discuss that".

You might not like what people are saying about you here, but they do have the right to express themselves as they see fit (as long as they follow the rules here), without them being banned. If you really want dialog, why don't you start by listening for a change? That, and try to make shorter, more concise posts which answer questions in a direct manner, if this is to say "I can't answer that".

+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

QUOTE(Taxwoman @ Tue 2nd September 2008, 2:43pm) *
Believe it or not, FT2, you're not the first senior Wikipedian to post here. We've had constructive engagement with several people, to the benefit of WP. And dialogue does mean answering people sensibly and constructively.
Like FT2 is here for dialog. He's not. His purpose here is no where near so noble.

C'mon, FT2. Prove me wrong.
+Quote Post
Carruthers

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Tue 2nd September 2008, 7:06pm) *

The day you acknowledge that all these things are the same problem, and they can't be looked at as a nail to be pounded at with your banhammer when you meet some editor with a POV you don't like, is the day you start to learn the real difficulties of administration on WP. So, welcome to WR, FT2.

Interesting points, all of them. However, this line of thinking only points out the inherent fallacy of WP:NPOV policy and how it relates to COI and the administrative hierarchy currently in place.

I firmly believe that there is no such thing as a NPOV edit: everyone has their own values, positions, ideas which they naturally want to see become the "established and accepted" position. When this position has been achieved, through "consensus" (on WP...and in life, read this to mean "the elimination of dissenting viewpoints". Yes, Virginia: some people will do anything for tenure...),
, the process becomes much more complex: it is no longer about the examination and analysis of knowledge, or dialog or even consensus....It becomes an issue of protecting the "perfect state" in which the knowledge is presented.

Of course, you always have somebody coming along who says (usually quite rightly) "that's not right, because X happened before Y which implies Z". If this idea is accepted, then the entire construction falls apart. So, therefore we have an "Inquisitorial process" which serves to remove such "heretics" from the "perfect state" which exists.

What happens when one of the "Grand Inquisitors" visits the area of Hell in which all of the excommunicated wail forever outside of the Gates of Paradise? More importantly, why should he do so? What is the motivation? Could it be....Conversions???

Now, before anybody brings up NewYorkBrad, I have to say that he is indeed the exception that proves the rule. I also believe that he has many questions about the current administrative structure in WP and is working towards reform.

I also believe that, given the kind of behavior that we've seen in the past few days on the part of our friend here, this process of reform is going to be extremely difficult because....some people are going to have to let go of a lot of ideas for it to be effective.

Ite missa est
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(Carruthers @ Tue 2nd September 2008, 1:03pm) *

What happens when one of the "Grand Inquisitors" visits the area of Hell in which all of the excommunicated wail forever outside of the Gates of Paradise? More importantly, why should he do so? What is the motivation? Could it be....Conversions???

Maybe. But I really doubt if FT2 practices all the paraphilias he writes about. He's just a paraphilia voyeur for many of them. Probably he feels the same way about visiting WR, as he does to a Furry or Zoo website. He can now say he's been there, talked to them. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ph34r.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ohmy.gif)

If he's here as tourist, we can't make him think. Only encourage.

I'm reminded of a bunch of WASPs going into some remote corner of Africa in a tour bus, snapping away with their Nikons, to get pictures of the bizarre natives. Some locals with astringent senses of humor ran along side the bus with mirrors. Some of the passengers got it, and some didn't.

+Quote Post
Carruthers

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Tue 2nd September 2008, 8:10pm) *

Maybe. But I really doubt if FT2 practices all the paraphilias he writes about. He's just a paraphilia voyeur for many of them. Probably he feels the same way about visiting WR, as he does to a Furry or Zoo website. He can now say he's been there, talked to them. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ph34r.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ohmy.gif)

If he's here as tourist, we can't make him think. Only encourage.

I'm reminded of a bunch of WASPs going into some remote corner of Africa in a tour bus, snapping away with their Nikkons, to get pictures of the bizarre natives. Some locals with astringent senses of humor ran along side the bus with mirrors. Some of the passengers got it, and some didn't.

I don't think that he's trying to convert us all into being pro-bestiality or pro-pedophile. Probably it's more of the whole "let's shake society up by forcing them to rethink their deepest prejudices" nonsense that these people like to serve up. It's more the "in yer face" "wikipedia is not censored so HERE look at THIS!!" kind of posturing that goes on over there. I think that most of these people don't believe half of what they write in the first place: it's intellectual posturing.

No, the "conversions" are to "the Wiki-Way" and aren't we going the greatest thing that Mankind has ever done since Gutenberg and all of that. We'll all supposed to line up for glasses of delicious koolaid and knock ourselves on the head and say "Sheez, they're all RIGHT! I've never going to vandalize a WP article again!"

Well, it ain't so simple. Some of us have thought about this stuff quite a bit. Some of us have tried to play the game by their rules and have discovered the dirty secret that "what you see is not what you get". Some of us like to play cards with a deck that isn't stacked.

I know that I keep coming back to "excommunication", "heretics", "the Inquisition", "Dogma"....but that's what I keep seeing. It's all about who is "elected" and who is "damned". Most of us over here are at least marginally "damned". FT2 is trying to "save" us....

Well, as some of us think that a good party in Hell is quite a bit more fun than sipping Koolaid with Jimbo....

Hey, I've been wanting to use this for ages: Here is proof of the WP cult (be sure to watch it to the end :

+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Very funny YouTube. Thanks.
QUOTE(Carruthers @ Tue 2nd September 2008, 1:23pm) *

Well, as some of us think that a good party in Hell is quite a bit more fun than sipping Koolaid with Jimbo....

This is the point at which I say: "Have you ever read.... Milton?"
+Quote Post
FT2

QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Tue 2nd September 2008, 3:26am) *

On the other hand, I can understand why he would give no quarter to Peter and Docknell given that they are severely on his case.

It's a bit like a few other issues, where public consensus had trouble handling the idea others might actually know what they were talking about.

I have an open mind whether he is simply misguidedly naive on NPOV on controversial subjects - the no consequences USENET philosophy that people will evaluate information and come to their own views, in spite of the fact that it is clear that the inability to maintain a NPOV article on controversial subjects demonstrates that it is a fallacy. Clearly, Peter and Docknell are trying to establish whether it is naivety or active promotion.

Like it or not, wikipedia is based on NPOV - we don't slant articles for what people "should" think or to "protect" them. On distasteful subjects that often means removing strong "anti" biases as well as "pro" biases, and both sides hate it. (Imagine editing [[Homosexuality]] on a wiki whose mother tongue is from a country with the death penalty for it, and people are sure gay=aids, for example.)

Peter felt very strongly on finding 1/ I dared edit a horrible topic, 2/ didn't feel ashamed to list it in my contribs page at arb election. He objected, hit a wall, objected, hit a wall, and it spiralled. But he's a decent guy at heart and that's why I am willing to attempt mediation.

Docknell there's a problem, because most here believe him to be a decent honorable user; I've been tracking the sock-puppets of a virulent and very smooth multiple-banned abuser for 3 years and to me it's pretty unmistakably the same person and identical modus where he has used the facade of "decent honorable user" many times, before showing the real face. We won't agree unfortunately; and I'm not really aiming to change anyone's beliefs.

The main failing of FT2 is that he thinks other people are not as clever as him and that enough obfuscation will allow him to win an argument; I think that it just reduces his stature. I'm not a great one for yes/no answers when it is a world of grey, but as he is playing the political game, there are a few yes's and noes that he should give, even with qualifications. I am not sure those two words are in his vocabulary though. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif)

I'm wordy because thats how I am. Same as some are terse, and others abrasive or whatever. Its not easy to answer a question with many overtones, in 5 words. If a person has to have a weakness, that's not the worst one to have. It's a bit of an in-joke, but among actual disputants, more seem to state they appreciate it (1 2 3 4) than dislike it.
+Quote Post
Peter Damian

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

QUOTE(FT2 @ Tue 2nd September 2008, 9:55pm) *

Peter felt very strongly on finding 1/ I dared edit a horrible topic, 2/ didn't feel ashamed to list it in my contribs page at arb election. He objected, hit a wall, objected, hit a wall, and it spiralled. But he's a decent guy at heart and that's why I am willing to attempt mediation.

Ft2, I started this thread for the benefit for non-involved parties to have their say, and as a courtesy to you not to have the involved parties ramming stuff down your throat.

Could you please return that courtesy and not mention the involved parties (that's me, Doc and Probivouac). Thanks. And what you say, by the way, is dishonest and wrong. Please address it in the other thread. Thanks again.

Docknell there's a problem, because most here believe him to be a decent honorable user; I've been tracking the sock-puppets of a virulent and very smooth multiple-banned abuser for 3 years and to me it's pretty unmistakably the same person and identical modus where he has used the facade of "decent honorable user" many times, before showing the real face. We won't agree unfortunately; and I'm not really aiming to change anyone's beliefs.

What you say here is also dishonest and unpleasant, and people have already asked you not to do this. Docknell is a contributor here. As for Headley, we await the evidence I have asked for. Enough said.

This post has been edited by Peter Damian:
+Quote Post
Carruthers

QUOTE(FT2 @ Tue 2nd September 2008, 8:55pm) *

You are going to have to treat him as an honorable user here because he is one at this site. Even if you were to prove that his is a longterm vandal on WP, that doesn't change the fact that he is an "honorable user" here.

I'm only speaking for myself of course, but I would think that many others here feel the same way.
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

QUOTE(Carruthers @ Tue 2nd September 2008, 5:09pm) *

QUOTE(FT2 @ Tue 2nd September 2008, 8:55pm) *

You are going to have to treat him as an honorable user here because he is one at this site. Even if you were to prove that his is a longterm vandal on WP, that doesn't change the fact that he is an "honorable user" here.

I'm only speaking for myself of course, but I would think that many others here feel the same way.

FT2 needs to try, try, try and grasp the fact that many of us consider Wikipedia to be a dishonourable and even dangerous enterprise. And so we do not hold it against people who have in good conscience chosen to oppose it and even blockade it in various and sundry ways.

+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Interesting points, all of them. However, this line of thinking only points out the inherent fallacy of WP:NPOV policy and how it relates to COI and the administrative hierarchy currently in place.

I firmly believe that there is no such thing as a NPOV edit: everyone has their own values, positions, ideas which they naturally want to see become the "established and accepted" position. When this position has been achieved, through "consensus" (on WP...and in life, read this to mean "the elimination of dissenting viewpoints".

Yes, yes, yes. But the perniciousness of the WP:NPOV policy is that you can point out POV all you like, and they simply come back at you with the idea that NPOV is not supposed to apply at the ground level of writing, but at some overarching meta-level where you're deciding how much space to give competing POVs and their subarticles and so on. It is the official WP position that this can be objectively determined by going to the library and doing some reseach on how much space, time, and relative-quality-source citations are given to each POV.

Now, this is just as much bullshit as the other view. Anybody who has been in academia, or had to write a review article for publication, or has thought about epidemiology very much, can tell you that. But officially, at WP it's a goal worthy of statement and lip-service, and that causes problems right there. Because if you think it's attainable, you might think you've attained it. Then you'd come down with all the smuggness of a FOX news or NY Times paper or NPR radio, thinking that you're fair and non-partisan and unbiased.

When the Brahmins at WP (and FT2 certainly qualifies as a bodhisattva) think they actually have achieved the stated goal of divine negation of POV-desire, then they can very dangerous. All that's necessary then is to give them a little power to implement their views by force, and balooey, you get essentially a State Religion. It's the religion of Objectivism which states that it can have "contextural certainty" on the basis of any evidence set. Just one answer is THE answer, then. This is the idea of some crazy Russian narcissisitic lady whose name I forget. Oh, yes, Alisa Rosenbaum.. Bleh (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)

+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

Wikipedia's concept of NPOV is laughable three ways to Tuesday. Not only is it laughable to insist that neutral points of view exist at all, but Wikipedia's way of choosing victors in the point of view battle is just plain stupid. And I see way too much FoxNews-like "fair and balanced" crap where "neutrality" is achieved by having some sort of ping-pong game between two camps in which each side trades volleys across the reader's poor beleaguered eyeballs, turning the article into some sort of free-fire no-man's-land of endless rhetorical salvos, serving only to convince the reader that everyone hates everyone else.

Why anyone cares to defend such tomfoolery is beyond me.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)