> Jimbo vs Bishzilla Part 2, Mortals is tasty
Encyclopedist
post Fri 15th July 2011, 11:03pm
Post #21

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 8,944

QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 15th July 2011, 3:49pm) *

Here we learn that Risker Anne:
  • Works on Wikipedia tasks while at work.
  • Secretly despises Jimbo Wales.
  • Takes extensive time to write out detailed e-mail that she has no intention of sending.
  • Works in the risk management function at a facility that is electrically incapacitated by plugging in a small fan.
This might be one of the Top 4 or 5 leaks.

I don't buy that default behaviour of a news client running on a PC or workstation is to send any currently-being-edited, or even pending email, should power suddenly be removed. That makes no sense whatever, and it is infinitely more likely that Risker actually pressed the "send" button and is desperately trying to backtrack. Why am I not surprised by that?

Addendum: I'll just add, having read subsequent replies from Kelly Martin and others, that for once, perhaps I am not alone in pointing out how incredibly self-serving and sometimes self-deceptive these Arbs are; I think there's enough support out there for the whole Committee to be wound up as "not fit for purpose". Either that, or its purpose needs to be clarified, with "extreme prejudice", but I have little hope that this will happen and that's why I no longer am interested in Wikipedia.

This post has been edited by Encyclopedist: Fri 15th July 2011, 11:18pm
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SB_Johnny
post Fri 15th July 2011, 11:34pm
Post #22

It wasn't me who made honky-tonk angels

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 8,272

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Fri 15th July 2011, 12:59pm) *

Wow, the depths of Jimbo's personal delusions exposed here are staggering. I knew he was nuts, but this is remarkable.

Where's my "like button"? laugh.gif

I've pretty much thought he thinks that way for a while now but I'm surprised he would actually talk like this in a semi-public forum. I got a good number of similarly passive aggressive notes from him (during the second WV wars, and when he was getting all kooky about the reverend Kohs's cute brunette meme), but he usually appended some groomish statement about how he was "assuming I'm honorable and will keep it private".

QUOTE(chrisoff @ Fri 15th July 2011, 11:59am) *

I like the part about Jimbo giving Bishonen his cellphone number and pleading with her to call. Even scheduling a time. Love gone wrong?

Malice, you should give his number to VoC. laugh.gif

(Well, no, not really.) ermm.gif
+Quote Post
Abd
post Sat 16th July 2011, 1:48am
Post #23

Postmaster

Member No.: 9,019

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

This Bishonen case demonstrated to me how the core group really does live by different rules than the proletariat.

Bishonen once blocked herself, as I recall, so she could see what it felt like. A self-block just isn't the same, Bish.

The Arbitration request ended up with a motion, here is a link to the page as just before archiving.
+Quote Post
radek
post Sat 16th July 2011, 3:28am
Post #24

Über Member

Member No.: 15,651

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(nableezy @ Fri 15th July 2011, 10:42am) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 15th July 2011, 9:49am) *

• Takes extensive time to write out detailed e-mail that she has no intention of sending.
  • Works in the risk management function at a facility that is electrically incapacitated by plugging in a small fan.

For about 10 seconds I really liked Risker. Then I read her next e-mail. Speaking truth to power is only a virtue if you actually do it, not just imagine yourself doing it (and perhaps mistakenly doing so).

Rlevse's Cartman moment is what, to me, makes this one of the top leaks. But Im probably a bit less mature than the rest of yall.

What does he say?

I've always thought his famous "Banned means banned!" was very Cartmanesque
+Quote Post
MaliceAforethought
post Sat 16th July 2011, 4:05am
Post #25

u Mad?

Member No.: 57,801

Yes its been moved.
+Quote Post
mydog
post Sat 16th July 2011, 4:39am
Post #26

Neophyte

Member No.: 58,134

I thought that Risker really had some balls there for a second. And then I kept reading.

Too bad Malice doesn't have access to the rest of her e-mails in her "do not send" folder - it would be interesting to know what she was really thinking at times.
+Quote Post
Rhindle
post Sat 16th July 2011, 4:56am
Post #27

Member No.: 6,834

Jimbo's the Red Queen.
+Quote Post
SpiderAndWeb
post Sat 16th July 2011, 7:11am
Post #28

Member No.: 58,319

QUOTE(Encyclopedist @ Fri 15th July 2011, 11:03pm) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 15th July 2011, 3:49pm) *

I don't buy that default behaviour of a news client running on a PC or workstation is to send any currently-being-edited, or even pending email, should power suddenly be removed. That makes no sense whatever, and it is infinitely more likely that Risker actually pressed the "send" button and is desperately trying to backtrack. Why am I not surprised by that?

I agree, I use gmail all the time as my email client and it doesn't currently, nor has it ever, automatically send out draft emails when you lose your internet connection (which is what a power outage would look like to the gmail server).

If I'm extremely generous, I might grant that it's possible she accidentally misclicked "send" around the time the power cut out, and then later mistakenly attributed the sending of the email to the power outage.

Or she could have had second thoughts about her email, and lied to cover her ass. Let's ask Occam.
+Quote Post
nableezy
post Sat 16th July 2011, 12:46pm
Post #29

Member No.: 11,908

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(radek @ Fri 15th July 2011, 10:28pm) *

Rlevse's Cartman moment is what, to me, makes this one of the top leaks. But Im probably a bit less mature than the rest of yall.

What does he say?

Wed, 15 Jul 2009 17:50:42
"I'll do whatever I want."
+Quote Post
Cla68
post Sat 16th July 2011, 12:58pm
Post #30

Postmaster

Member No.: 5,761

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(chrisoff @ Fri 15th July 2011, 5:19pm) *

To speak of traditionally "law" here, ArbCom is a delegation of my
personal powers within the community since day one. I am free to
dismiss ArbCom at will. I have no intention of doing that, mind you.
But there is no need to "overthrow" the constitutional order, if reform
is sought. -Jimmy Wales

I wish he would dismiss the whole damn mess.

I thought Jimbo had publicly backed off his stated role as dictator of Wikipedia. This statement appears to contradict that. If I were an arb, my response to this statement by Jimbo might have been something like, "So, in preparation for the day you might suddenly dismiss all of us, why don't you start helping us with some of our workload, such as dealing with the latest nutter to try to blackmail us. Here are his emails, better get to work and have a nice day!
+Quote Post
Giano
post Sat 16th July 2011, 6:08pm
Post #31

Member No.: 4,610

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Sat 16th July 2011, 1:58pm) *

QUOTE(chrisoff @ Fri 15th July 2011, 5:19pm) *

To speak of traditionally "law" here, ArbCom is a delegation of my
personal powers within the community since day one. I am free to
dismiss ArbCom at will. I have no intention of doing that, mind you.
But there is no need to "overthrow" the constitutional order, if reform
is sought. -Jimmy Wales

I wish he would dismiss the whole damn mess.

I thought Jimbo had publicly backed off his stated role as dictator of Wikipedia. This statement appears to contradict that. If I were an arb, my response to this statement by Jimbo might have been something like, "So, in preparation for the day you might suddenly dismiss all of us, why don't you start helping us with some of our workload, such as dealing with the latest nutter to try to blackmail us. Here are his emails, better get to work and have a nice day!

Because they wanted to be his best friends.

Giacomo
+Quote Post
SpiderAndWeb
post Sat 16th July 2011, 7:10pm
Post #32

Member No.: 58,319

How much control does Jimbo still have over Wikipedia, legally speaking? If the Foundation decides to Godwin him, is that the end of him or would he still own some part of the WP hardware or software?
+Quote Post
NuclearWarfare
post Sat 16th July 2011, 8:01pm
Post #33

Member No.: 9,506

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(SpiderAndWeb @ Sat 16th July 2011, 7:10pm) *

How much control does Jimbo still have over Wikipedia, legally speaking? If the Foundation decides to Godwin him, is that the end of him or would he still own some part of the WP hardware or software?

He's on the Board of Trustees in a position that has to be reconfirmed once a year. That's it, I believe.
+Quote Post
LessHorrid vanU
post Sat 16th July 2011, 10:43pm
Post #34

Devils Advocaat

Member No.: 3,466

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(NuclearWarfare @ Sat 16th July 2011, 9:01pm) *

QUOTE(SpiderAndWeb @ Sat 16th July 2011, 7:10pm) *

He's on the Board of Trustees in a position that has to be reconfirmed once a year. That's it, I believe.

Would it still be Wikipedia without Jimbo? Mostly, yes, but the absence of J. Wales would create a vacuum for those who need a figurehead that is not of the community but outside of it; a totem for an individual vision which directs the project from a altruistic and neutral viewpoint - and the fact that he has not met those expectations (or at least does not more poorly than many would fail to meet such standards) does not mean that the role may not have a place in the "constitution". The perceived symbiosis of Jimbo and Wikipedia is such that any removal from office might fundamentally change how Wikipedia is regarded outside of the goldfish bowl.

I mean, what is the point of criticising him and his actions if it is not in the hope that the points may be internalised and improvements made in his conduct? If Jimbo's role was so marginalised and deprecated then surely we would not be making such efforts - or is it simply revenge taking for historical issues?
+Quote Post
radek
post Sun 17th July 2011, 6:50pm
Post #35

Über Member

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(nableezy @ Sat 16th July 2011, 7:46am) *

QUOTE(radek @ Fri 15th July 2011, 10:28pm) *

What does he say?

Wed, 15 Jul 2009 17:50:42
"I'll do whatever I want."

I just realized that all you folks reading these emails need to come up with a drinking game to go along with it. Like every-time you see Rvlevse say "banned means banned", everyone stop, go to their fridge or cupboard and down a beer or a shot. Two if he uses an exclamation mark.

I'm sure the creative folks here can come up with drink! conditions for other actors of these dramas.
+Quote Post
MZMcBride
post Sun 17th July 2011, 8:17pm
Post #36

Über Member

Member No.: 10,962

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(LessHorrid vanU @ Sat 16th July 2011, 6:43pm) *
Would it still be Wikipedia without Jimbo? Mostly, yes, but the absence of J. Wales would create a vacuum for those who need a figurehead that is not of the community but outside of it; a totem for an individual vision which directs the project from a altruistic and neutral viewpoint - and the fact that he has not met those expectations (or at least does not more poorly than many would fail to meet such standards) does not mean that the role may not have a place in the "constitution". The perceived symbiosis of Jimbo and Wikipedia is such that any removal from office might fundamentally change how Wikipedia is regarded outside of the goldfish bowl.
His only value at this point is during fundraisers (which admittedly is a fairly huge point in his favor from the Wikimedia Foundation's perspective). His face brings in more money than anyone else's. If he and the Wikimedia Foundation parted ways and he no longer allowed his face to be used for the fundraiser, that'd be the largest and most profound impact. As far as I'm aware, he has absolutely no role in the day-to-day operations of the Wikimedia Foundation (and hasn't in years and years) and he has no financial control over the Wikimedia Foundation.

QUOTE(LessHorrid vanU @ Sat 16th July 2011, 6:43pm) *
I mean, what is the point of criticising him and his actions if it is not in the hope that the points may be internalised and improvements made in his conduct? If Jimbo's role was so marginalised and deprecated then surely we would not be making such efforts - or is it simply revenge taking for historical issues?
Yes, pettiness and Wikipedia Review are like oil and water. There's no place for such ignoble behavior here. laugh.gif
+Quote Post
Abd
post Sun 17th July 2011, 9:28pm
Post #37

Postmaster

Member No.: 9,019

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(radek @ Sun 17th July 2011, 2:50pm) *
I just realized that all you folks reading these emails need to come up with a drinking game to go along with it. Like every-time you see Rvlevse say "banned means banned", everyone stop, go to their fridge or cupboard and down a beer or a shot. Two if he uses an exclamation mark.
I've always thought that comment, which has been repeated by many, pretty clear. The only problem is, if banned means "banned," what does "banned" mean?

Does it mean, "No editing, absolutely, and we will do whatever it takes to stop it, by any means necessary"? Like, range block, revision deletion, lawsuits and law enforcement, suspecting and blocking anyone who sounds like the editor, or who edits the same article, with the same assumed POV, or who appears to be aiding the editor in any way ("meat puppet!"), or what? Sending a hit squad? That's *almost* where they went with Poetlister and FT2.

And just how smart is it to declare an unenforceable decision? To allow no room for negotiation with a blocked or banned editor, no possible quid pro quo?

Makes sense to not waste arbitrator time, but "banned is banned" goes much further than that, as practiced by these bozos. And plenty of editors have been banned, and come back, openly or with private permission. "Banned" obviously, from precedent, does not mean banned.
+Quote Post
The Joy
post Sun 17th July 2011, 9:33pm
Post #38

I am a millipede! I am amazing!

Group: Members
Member No.: 982

"Banned means banned" was popularized by JzG when he banned one of Greg's accounts. I can't find that block summary though.
+Quote Post
radek
post Mon 18th July 2011, 7:20am
Post #39

Über Member

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(The Joy @ Sun 17th July 2011, 4:33pm) *

"Banned means banned" was popularized by JzG when he banned one of Greg's accounts. I can't find that block summary though.

I think you mean "invented" not "popularized". Rvlevse certainly made it his own. See Stigler's Law.
+Quote Post
thekohser
post Mon 18th July 2011, 12:08pm
Post #40

Member No.: 911

QUOTE(The Joy @ Sun 17th July 2011, 5:33pm) *

March 29, 2007.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th 5 17, 6:16am