Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Everybody Draw Mohammed Day, I'm shocked, shocked to find drama on Wikipedia
Subtle Bee
post Sat 22nd May 2010, 1:41am
Post #161

melli fera, fera...

Group: Inactive
Member No.: 17,787

Quick update: the Pakistani government has banned FaceBook over the "Draw Mohammed" dust-up, by court order.

In compliance with the orders of Honourable Lahore High Court, Lahore, on the Writ Petition No.10392/10, dated the 19th May, 2010, the Ministry of Information Technology has issued a directive to Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) to block the ‘Face Book’ and all other internet links displaying sacrilegious caricatures of the Holy Prophet.

Ministry of IT has also directed the PTA to remain alert and watchful and block all such links displaying the profane caricatures immediately.

Ministry of IT has requested public at large to contact a dedicated Telephone No.0800-5505 and e-mail address: complaint@pta.gov.pk , to transmit necessary information, should anything to the effect of objectionable caricature get displayed/propagated at any website.

"Pakistan Makes Information Technology Breakthrough: phone-operated internet "ignore" list a world's first!" - you'd swear it was from the Onion.

So how come they can do that for Muhammed (PBUH), but we can't get one of those for Wikimedia Commons? hmmm.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dtobias
post Sat 22nd May 2010, 3:57am
Post #162

Obsessive trolling idiot [per JzG]

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 962

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Subtle Bee @ Fri 21st May 2010, 9:41pm) *

So how come they can do that for Muhammed (PBUH), but we can't get one of those for Wikimedia Commons? hmmm.gif

Because the countries most of us live in aren't as repressive as that one?
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky
post Sat 22nd May 2010, 4:05am
Post #163

Group: Members
Member No.: 130

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(dtobias @ Fri 21st May 2010, 8:57pm) *

QUOTE(Subtle Bee @ Fri 21st May 2010, 9:41pm) *

Because the countries most of us live in aren't as repressive as that one?
Dan, sometimes I think you may be suffering from irony-poor blood.
+Quote Post
thekohser
post Wed 2nd November 2011, 4:19pm
Post #164

Member No.: 911

Who's next? The Wikimedia Foundation headquarters?
+Quote Post
mbz1
post Wed 2nd November 2011, 5:20pm
Post #165

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 25,791

QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 2nd November 2011, 4:19pm) *

No worries they will not touch The Wikimedia Foundation headquarters, at least not while administrator rama is tagging the Holocaust related images with {{di-replaceable fair use}} and not while administrator Gatoclass states something like that:
Thirdly, even if one took seriously the evidence presented by the Russians at Nuremberg that the Danzig Anatomic Institute conducted such experiments, AFAIK no evidence has ever been presented that the raw materials came specifically from the fat of Jews being slaughtered in Nazi extermination camps.

and not while wikipedia will host such antisemitic garbage

This post has been edited by mbz1: Wed 2nd November 2011, 5:41pm
+Quote Post
Tarc
post Wed 2nd November 2011, 6:07pm
Post #166

Fat Cat

Member No.: 5,309

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

The lengths these backwards knuckle-draggers will go to enforce their warped fundamentalism is nauseating. There's nbeen a slow-burning shitstorm at the Muhammed article regarding images over the last few weeks, too.

QUOTE(mbz1 @ Wed 2nd November 2011, 1:20pm) *

Whether it is antisemitic or not (I find it to be more of a criticism of Dershowitz for being a hypocritical asshole rather than for being a Jew) is largely irrelevant. Just because the Wikipedia hosts an antisemitic poster doesn't mean that their are abetting or perpetuating the antisemitism.

They have the Jyllands-Posten poster too. Do you decry the Wikipedia for hosting "anti-Muslim garbage" ?
+Quote Post
mbz1
post Wed 2nd November 2011, 6:23pm
Post #167

QUOTE(Tarc @ Wed 2nd November 2011, 6:07pm) *

The lengths these backwards knuckle-draggers will go to enforce their warped fundamentalism is nauseating. There's nbeen a slow-burning shitstorm at the Muhammed article regarding images over the last few weeks, too.

Whether it is antisemitic or not (I find it to be more of a criticism of Dershowitz for being a hypocritical asshole rather than for being a Jew) is largely irrelevant. Just because the Wikipedia hosts an antisemitic poster doesn't mean that their are abetting or perpetuating the antisemitism.

They have the Jyllands-Posten poster too. Do you decry the Wikipedia for hosting "anti-Muslim garbage" ?

I do not believe that because the Wikipedia hosts an antisemitic poster it means that they are abetting or perpetuating the antisemitism. Not at all, but antisemitic pictures should be added to the right category:Category:Antisemitic pictures , which this is not, and it makes all the difference.

On the other hand this poster is added to the category "Jyllands-Posten Muhammad cartoons controversy" with the key word here being "controversy", but honestly I do not believe wikipedia should host any images concerning Muhammed at all. If it is so important for Muslims not to have the images of their Prophet, if it is prohibited by their believes why to make people suffer?

This post has been edited by mbz1: Wed 2nd November 2011, 6:26pm
+Quote Post
It's the blimp, Frank
post Wed 2nd November 2011, 6:31pm
Post #168

Über Member

Member No.: 82

QUOTE(Tarc @ Wed 2nd November 2011, 6:07pm) *

Whether it is antisemitic or not (I find it to be more of a criticism of Dershowitz for being a hypocritical asshole rather than for being a Jew) is largely irrelevant.
It's not antisemitic. Stupid, but not antisemitic. And by "stupid," I mean unfunny, not that Dershowitz shouldn't be attacked for being a hypocritical asshole.
+Quote Post
mbz1
post Wed 2nd November 2011, 9:22pm
Post #169

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Thu 6th May 2010, 3:30pm) *

I live in America. More than 99% of the users of this site and en.WP are from the the English speaking world and Europe. Muslims are a small and hard pressed minority in our society. They are easy to pick on and vilify. Almost no one will speak up if you do. I'm speaking up for my neighbors and countrymen who are Muslims.

I will speak up for Muslims, and for Arabs and for everybody who is discriminated against. I would have gladly gone to Iran or Syria to help people there to overcome murderous dictators, and
as I said above I do not believe there should be any images of the Prophet at all, if it hurts the feelings of Muslims, but I'd also say that Muslims should realize that the biggest enemies of Muslims are... well, Muslims themselves.

Muslims are murdering Muslims in schools, in mosques, at markets, in buses over and over and over again. People so used to this that they believe it is a norm, when a car bomb or a few are exploded in Iraq, or a suicide bomber strikes at a mosque in Pakistan. Why Muslim Egyptians are murdering Coptic Egyptians? They all are Arabs, a proud, ancient people with a great history, living in a beautiful country. Why they cannot live in peace with each others? If one day, they'll be able to do it, they will be able to live in peace with the rest of the world.
+Quote Post
SB_Johnny
post Wed 2nd November 2011, 9:44pm
Post #170

It wasn't me who made honky-tonk angels

Member No.: 8,272

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(mbz1 @ Wed 2nd November 2011, 5:22pm) *

Muslims should realize that the biggest enemies of Muslims are... well, Muslims themselves.

Pretty much the only enemy of human beings worth mentioning is human beings themselves.

(Of course there are plenty of virus and bacteria that make for perfectly good enemies, but for some reason our collective priorities tend to somehow rank bombs over antibiotics).
+Quote Post

9 Pages V « < 7 8 9
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd 9 17, 1:01am