FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Encyclopedia Sales, Man. -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Encyclopedia Sales, Man.
mbz1

Group: Contributors

I'd like to ask, if Wikipedia could be sold, and if so, who'd get the money.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 6,696

Most of Wikipedia's monetizable value is in its name, specifically the trademarked name Wikipedia and the wikipedia.org domain name. WMF may have rights to some of MediaWiki (because significant development has been done by WMF employees in the course of their duties, making their contributions works-for-hire owned by WMF) but the GPL licensure makes it difficult for them to monetize MediaWiki, and in any case MediaWiki sucks ass. The content is also not owned by WMF, but that also doesn't matter.

The WMF is free to sell off any or all of its assets for any purpose whatsoever; however, any funds it obtains in return must be used for a charitable purpose, either by WMF or by another charity. Proceeds must not inure to the benefit of any individual.
+Quote Post
mbz1

Thank you for responding my question. I would like to ask how much wikimedia foundation costs, and how this amount corresponds to the amount of yearly donations.
+Quote Post
mbz1

I've just found this articlethat states that the "a fair price for Wikipedia, the sixth most read site in the world, would be $ 1.2 billion...Other assessments stick to four billion."
It is very interesting, the site that during its life time made at most 200, 000 millions dollars in donations costs billions.

+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.
Member No.: 981

QUOTE(mbz1 @ Fri 30th September 2011, 9:38am) *

I've just found this articlethat states that the "a fair price for Wikipedia, the sixth most read site in the world, would be $ 1.2 billion...Other assessments stick to four billion."
It is very interesting, the site that during its life time made at most 200, 000 millions dollars in donations costs billions.

Selfish narcissistic people always have a hard time understanding that when you give something away you no longer own it.

But the encyclopedia “is not for sale and not for money,” said Wales.

It is no longer for him to say. I don't think any sale is going to happen. But if the WMF B/D did I think it would be just splendid. If WMF would sell the site any give to money to the Gates Foundation to buy mosquito nets I would applaud. The 1.2 billion is probably the value of advertising based on site traffic. It is a pretty shaky figure and too high. But the value of any other site with as much traffic would be at least the order of a whole magnitude larger. Mr. Wales did figure out how to waste most of the value of a top 10 website.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)