FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Copyright infringement on the WR logo -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> General Discussion? What's that all about?

This subforum is for general discussion of Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects. For a glossary of terms frequently used in such discussions, please refer to Wikipedia:Glossary. For a glossary of musical terms, see here. Other useful links:

Akahele.orgWikipedia-WatchWikitruthWP:ANWikiEN-L/Foundation-L (mailing lists) • Citizendium forums

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Copyright infringement on the WR logo
Wikitaka

Group: Contributors

Wikipedia claims the right to use our logo under "fair use".

They claim that it is "low resolution", while the resolution is the same as here on the page. They also claim that "The entire logo is used to convey the meaning intended and avoid tarnishing or misrepresenting the intended image." As they use the logo in their article that is written with a conflict of interest and criticises us (or at least did in the past), it is used to misrepresent us.

On it goes, [...]assure the readers that they have reached the right article containing critical commentary about the organization[...]

Do you think it is time to open a file deletion debate over the obvious copyright infringement of our logo?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Web Fred

Pervert & Swinger

Member No.: 17,141

QUOTE(Wikitaka @ Fri 30th March 2012, 12:18pm) *

Wikipedia claims the right to use our logo under "fair use".

They claim that it is "low resolution", while the resolution is the same as here on the page. They also claim that "The entire logo is used to convey the meaning intended and avoid tarnishing or misrepresenting the intended image." As they use the logo in their article that is written with a conflict of interest and criticises us (or at least did in the past), it is used to misrepresent us.

On it goes, [...]assure the readers that they have reached the right article containing critical commentary about the organization[...]

Do you think it is time to open a file deletion debate over the obvious copyright infringement of our logo?

What exactly is the trilby supposed to represent?
+Quote Post
Detective

QUOTE(Web Fred @ Fri 30th March 2012, 11:36am) *

Haven't you seen any westerns? It's not a trilby, it's a western hat. As the good guys, we wear white ones.
+Quote Post
Web Fred

Pervert & Swinger

QUOTE(Detective @ Fri 30th March 2012, 12:42pm) *

QUOTE(Web Fred @ Fri 30th March 2012, 11:36am) *

Haven't you seen any westerns? It's not a trilby, it's a western hat. As the good guys, we wear white ones.

Nah, that's not a stetson surely?
+Quote Post
Tarc

Fat Cat

Group: Regulars

QUOTE(Wikitaka @ Fri 30th March 2012, 7:18am) *

What possible purpose would that serve?
+Quote Post
Selina

Cat herder

Group: Staffy

web.textfiles.com/ezines/HWA/hwa-hn53.txt
<=-[ HWA.hax0r.news ]-=>
[=HWA 2000=] Number 53 Volume 2 Issue 5 1999 April-May 2000

[..]
www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,36170,00.html [..]
The people who penetrated the Apache.org system likely were "grey hats,"
Coar said. The hacker spectrum runs from "black hats," who would break in,
do damage, and attempt to avoid tracing, to "white hats," who would note
the configuration problems and let the site managers know about them
without taking advantage of them.

"These people fall into the 'grey area' in between because they told us
about the problems, but not until after they had utilized them to make
some apparently innocuous changes," he said.

secpoint.com/What-is-a-Grey-Hat.html

secpoint.com/What-is-a-White-Hat.html

Lol, this article is so bad: White hat (film) (T-H-L-K-D) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
Shawn Croissantbloghe recently caused waves when he inexplicably made it hip again.

He achieved it at such rallies as "White Hat Cake Pop Rally 2012" where free cakepops were said to be handed out supposedly in the shape of white hats with nacho cheese dipping sauce.

His other attempts have been unfruitful as still no one knows what carroting is.

a couple main archetypes of white-hats in American cinema, such as Ross, Sahil, and Personable English Guy

This is kinda it though, yeah!
In the movie industry, a white hat was someone in a western movie in which such a character would wear a white hat in contrast to the villain's black hat. Examples of such characters are Red Ryder, Tom Mix, and The Lone Ranger.
+Quote Post
Web Fred

Pervert & Swinger

Thanks for that Selina, but having been active on the net for almost 20 years I'm well aware of the White Hats, Grey Hats and Black Hats concept.

If that was what you were going for in the logo, I think it's a fail as it isn't very clear.

I may rouse myself of my sickbed and start doing an alternate logo for you, or alternatively, thinking about it, I may wait until tomorrow.
+Quote Post
Selina

Cat herder

Other people said before they were quite fond of the logo I remember though, hmm. Suggestions could be good tho!
+Quote Post
Heat

Tenured

QUOTE(Selina @ Fri 30th March 2012, 4:39pm) *

Other people said before they were quite fond of the logo I remember though, hmm. Suggestions could be good tho!

Put in a DMCA notice.
+Quote Post
Selina

Cat herder

Has an appeal to it (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif) But I'm sure they must have had plenty of people do DMCA before and not heard of any downtime from it, hmm, bet it's been done before, anyone know any cases?
+Quote Post
MZMcBride

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Selina @ Fri 30th March 2012, 1:48pm) *
Has an appeal to it (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif) But I'm sure they must have had plenty of people do DMCA before and not heard of any downtime from it, hmm, bet it's been done before, anyone know any cases?
https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Category:DMCA
+Quote Post
Wikitaka

QUOTE(MZMcBride @ Fri 30th March 2012, 5:51pm) *

How do you make a DMCA claim? E-mail?
+Quote Post
Tarc

Fat Cat

QUOTE(Wikitaka @ Fri 30th March 2012, 3:34pm) *

QUOTE(MZMcBride @ Fri 30th March 2012, 5:51pm) *

How do you make a DMCA claim? E-mail?

I'm really not following what is being considered here...do you want to file a DMCA to get the WR logo off Wikipedia?
+Quote Post
Web Fred

Pervert & Swinger

1. It's not really copyrightable as the threshold of originality hasn't been reached.

2. What's the point in deleting it, the logo only serves its purpose if it's being seen.

3. All the time it's on WP then it's sure to irritate the fuck out of someone. Score!

QUOTE(Selina @ Fri 30th March 2012, 5:39pm) *

TBH I feel like shite at the mo' so I'll leave it a couple of days. I won't have any expectation of it being used, it's just something for my own curiosity.
+Quote Post
Wikitaka

QUOTE(Web Fred @ Fri 30th March 2012, 7:58pm) *

1. It's not really copyrightable as the threshold of originality hasn't been reached.

2. What's the point in deleting it, the logo only serves its purpose if it's being seen.

3. All the time it's on WP then it's sure to irritate the fuck out of someone. Score!

2. WP infringe our copyright by hosting it on their page and claiming to use it in "a critical article" (see OP). Thats an obvious misrepresentation.
+Quote Post
Web Fred

Pervert & Swinger

QUOTE(Wikitaka @ Fri 30th March 2012, 9:01pm) *

QUOTE(Web Fred @ Fri 30th March 2012, 7:58pm) *

2. WP infringe our copyright by hosting it on their page and claiming to use it in "a critical article" (see OP). Thats an obvious misrepresentation.

It sounds like you don't understand what misrepresentation means in a legal sense. They aren't misrepresenting anything with their current use of the logo.
+Quote Post
Tarc

Fat Cat

QUOTE(Wikitaka @ Fri 30th March 2012, 4:01pm) *

Jesus, what in the name of the special olympics are you talking about? It is not some kind of "score" or "point" in the Wikipedia's favor to have WR's logo there. If anything, it benefits this site to have its article better illustrated. There was a time when many Wikipedians fought to have that article deleted so they wouldn't have to give a critic website any publicity at all.

Who the fuck is this clown anyways? I have no faith in some anonymous person whose 2nd edit ever was to note he is a "Wiki investigator and watchdog, also active at Wikipedia Review" who had a whopping 14 edits by that time here.

This post has been edited by Tarc:
+Quote Post
Heat

Tenured

Web Fred has a point, the "logo" is really just a typeface with a generic white hat.
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

QUOTE(Heat @ Sat 31st March 2012, 11:39am) *
Web Fred has a point, the "logo" is really just a typeface with a generic white hat.

Not only that, when I made the logo I didn't even use my own hat.
+Quote Post
Web Fred

Pervert & Swinger

QUOTE(Somey @ Sun 1st April 2012, 2:22am) *

QUOTE(Heat @ Sat 31st March 2012, 11:39am) *

Not only that, when I made the logo I didn't even use my own hat.

Ah, but you did nick the Wikipedia globe to do the other graphic.

So whomever suggests a take down notice for the WR logo, I should point out that the shoe is really on the other foot.

And the other guy has more money!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)