FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Could it be any worse? -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Help

This subforum is for critical evaluation of Wikipedia articles. However, to reduce topic-bloat, please make note of exceptionally poor stubs, lists, and other less attention-worthy material in the Miscellaneous Grab Bag thread. Also, please be aware that agents of the Wikimedia Foundation might use your evaluations to improve the articles in question.

Useful Links: Featured Article CandidatesFeatured Article ReviewArticles for DeletionDeletion Review

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Could it be any worse?
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 6,696

Ran across this image recently. This fine work was executed to illustrate the article on smocking. The problem with this is that the work presented of absolutely horrific quality; if this were my work I would be tempted to burn it and under no circumstance would I let anyone see it. I'm sure that a five year old could do better than this.

Of course, one look at who created this travesty of textile arts and you'll understand why this is on Wikipedia.

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/sick.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

τὰ δέ μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,619

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Wed 3rd March 2010, 3:51pm) *

Ran across this image recently. This fine work was executed to illustrate the article on smocking. The problem with this is that the work presented of absolutely horrific quality; if this were my work I would be tempted to burn it and under no circumstance would I let anyone see it. I'm sure that a five year old could do better than this.

Of course, one look at who created this travesty of textile arts and you'll understand why this is on Wikipedia.

Not To Be Confused With → (IMG:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/33/SMocking.gif)

Jon (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
Enric_Naval

Group: Contributors

So make a better smocking sampler, photograph it, and impress us with your workmanship.
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.
Member No.: 981

QUOTE(Enric_Naval @ Wed 3rd March 2010, 4:47pm) *

So make a better smocking sampler, photograph it, and impress us with your workmanship.

Fuck off and die.
+Quote Post
MZMcBride

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Wed 3rd March 2010, 4:52pm) *

Fuck off and die.

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wtf.gif)
+Quote Post
Newyorkbrad

Ãœber Member

Fuck off and die.

Are those the only choices?
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.
Member No.: 981

QUOTE(Newyorkbrad @ Wed 3rd March 2010, 5:06pm) *

Fuck off and die.

Maybe I should make manifest the subtext. You have entered a place where your values will not find universal acceptance.
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

QUOTE(Enric_Naval @ Wed 3rd March 2010, 3:47pm) *

Pay me for it, and I will.

Wikipedia: where we'll publish any old crap you give us, because we're too cheap to care about values.
+Quote Post
Casliber

I think what happens is no-one thinks to take photos of certain things - this often happens with common plants and birds, and things like pieces of fruit, recipes etc. Once a few folks get involved, better images come along. I recall the article on tooth/teeth going this way, and certainly some bird species articles too.
+Quote Post
TungstenCarbide

Allegedly shot down by stray Ukrainian missile

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Wed 3rd March 2010, 8:51pm) *

"Could it be any worse?"

Why yes, it could be and is; http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Penis
+Quote Post
Zoloft

May we all find solace in our dreams.

Member No.: 16,621

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Wed 3rd March 2010, 10:13pm) *

QUOTE(Newyorkbrad @ Wed 3rd March 2010, 5:06pm) *

Fuck off and die.

Maybe I should make manifest the subtext. You have entered a place where your values will not find universal acceptance.

I thought you were simply requesting help changing (and perhaps protecting) this sad redirect.. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)

This post has been edited by Zoloft:
+Quote Post
dtobias

Obsessive trolling idiot [per JzG]

Member No.: 962

Fuck off and die.

Now, if only you can convince the New Hampshire state government to put that on their license plates instead of the tired old "Live free or die" slogan! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(Newyorkbrad @ Wed 3rd March 2010, 2:06pm) *
Fuck off and die.

Personally I was in favor of forcing Brad and Durova to strip naked,
then super-gluing their bellies together, so they are permanently stuck
face to face. Damn, that would make an awesome photo on Commons.

This post has been edited by EricBarbour:
+Quote Post
Doc glasgow

Wikipedia:The Sump of All Human Knowledge

Member No.: 90

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Thu 4th March 2010, 12:41am) *

Fuck off and die.

Not really, I'm sure it would languish in an existing category over-full of such things.
+Quote Post
The Adversary

CT (Check Troll)

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Wed 3rd March 2010, 9:51pm) *

Sigh. I'm in two minds about this: on one hand I greatly appreciate what Durova has done for textile arts/ embroidery project (ok: so shoot me) -On the other hand: I would never have dared to show/produce anything like this even in my compulsary handicraft-classes when I was 10-12 years old (And yeah: I had to suffer through those. And hated it. If anyone tells me: "so produce something better yourself"..I'll throw my computer at them. )

And then to publish this on the internet, to let everyone see? Sorry, Durova: this is truly bad.

Some self-censorship might come in handy, even for "experiences" wiki-editors.

(but of course, the "wiki-way" say that even something horribly bad is better than nothing (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/unhappy.gif) )
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Wed 3rd March 2010, 5:41pm) *

Fuck off and die.

A couple named Mary and Kelly
Spent their honeymoon belly to belly
Because, in their haste,
They'd used library paste
Instead of petroleum jelly
+Quote Post
Kwork

Group: Special Contributors

QUOTE(Newyorkbrad @ Wed 3rd March 2010, 10:06pm) *

Fuck off and die.

I suppose another option would be to upload this
http://www.flickr.com/photos/37869936@N00/493663266
or something better yet to Commons. Then you could get rid of the embarrassing quality crap in the article.
+Quote Post
Peter Damian

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

QUOTE(Kwork @ Thu 4th March 2010, 6:08pm) *

or something better yet to Commons. Then you could get rid of the embarrassing quality crap in the article.

That one is also quite horrible, though in a different way.
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Member No.: 275

I hate to play Devil's Advocate here, but if the point is to show how the fabric is gathered, does the quality of the stitching itself really matter? One might even argue that high-quality stitching might distract the reader/viewer from the fabric-gathering effect. Besides, the world has spandex and lycra now - does anybody even need this technique, other than to make period costumes for Renaissance Festivals? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hmmm.gif)

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that the Smocking (T-H-L-K-D) article is about equal in length to the Textile industry (T-H-L-K-D) article, and actually has better sourcing - though admittedly the latter has an offshoot, Textile manufacture during the Industrial Revolution (T-H-L-K-D) that's also about the same length.
+Quote Post
Tarc

Fat Cat

I'd rather see an article with no images than one with poor-quality freebies. This is like the case with Wikipedia:Requests_for_comment/Rama (T-H-L-K-D), and admin who goes on crusades against fair-use photographs, subbing them for his own MS Paint-quality reproductions.
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

QUOTE(Somey @ Thu 4th March 2010, 12:36pm) *

I hate to play Devil's Advocate here, but if the point is to show how the fabric is gathered, does the quality of the stitching itself really matter? One might even argue that high-quality stitching might distract the reader/viewer from the fabric-gathering effect.
I have around here somewhere a most excellent book on manipulating fabric that documents a whole host of methods for shaping fabric using many techniques, including smocking. That book features technically excellent photographs of masterfully executed articles each of which was specifically intended to document the particular method being discussed. Trust me, it is much easier to understand the technique when you are provided with technically superior examples photographed in a technically competent way.

Of course, the photographs in that book were taken by a professional and the articles being photographed were produced by a master of the craft. Neither statement can be said, without laughter, regarding Durova.
+Quote Post
Kwork

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Thu 4th March 2010, 6:24pm) *

QUOTE(Kwork @ Thu 4th March 2010, 6:08pm) *

That one is also quite horrible, though in a different way.

I am not an expert on embroidery, so I could be wrong, but if the intent is to show what a good quality example looks like, I think that image would probably do. There is no need to think in terms of how much you personally would want to wear it.
+Quote Post
Somey

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Thu 4th March 2010, 12:48pm) *
Of course, the photographs in that book were taken by a professional and the articles being photographed were produced by a master of the craft. Neither statement can be said, without laughter, regarding Durova.

Well then, I guess we're back to the same question we've always had about Durova, i.e., does she even realize what she's doing? I'd like to think have a healthy respect for women with big egos, even if they occasionally do things that suggest outright delusional thinking. But maybe I'm some sort of "reverse-sexist" for thinking along those lines.

Anyway, we should be glad it's just the article on Smocking, rather than Snogging (T-H-L-K-D) - the photo that accompanies the Snogging article isn't really all that bad, though I suppose it too would be better if it were done by professionals.
+Quote Post
Tarc

Fat Cat

QUOTE(Somey @ Thu 4th March 2010, 2:26pm) *

Well then, I guess we're back to the same question we've always had about Durova, i.e., does she even realize what she's doing? I'd like to think have a healthy respect for women with big egos, even if they occasionally do things that suggest outright delusional thinking. But maybe I'm some sort of "reverse-sexist" for thinking along those lines.

Anyway, we should be glad it's just the article on Smocking, rather than Snogging (T-H-L-K-D) - the photo that accompanies the Snogging article isn't really all that bad, though I suppose it too would be better if it were done by professionals.

NEEDS MOAR TONGUE
+Quote Post
Kwork

QUOTE(Somey @ Thu 4th March 2010, 7:26pm) *

People generally think they are doing the right thing, even if they are mistaken. The problem gets bigger when administrators, who are cops, start to enjoy using their authority while knowing they can usually get away with misuse. (I understand Durova is a retired wiki-cop, but she has kept plenty of clout.) There is no one to protect WP users from their protectors. It could be worse, but in kind it is the same as the violant misuses of (for example) NYPD:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUkiyBVytRQ...player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5I_lwQyxNI

+Quote Post
Somey

Well, let's be somewhat fair about this - I don't think this is abuse that regular users need protection from. At worst, it's just some combination of egotism and self-promotion masquerading as a desire to provide helpful illustrations, which just happen to be not that good.

I say "self-promotion" despite the fact (or perhaps because of the fact) that I don't really know what Durova does for a living. Some of you may recall this topic, in which I myself pointed out how Wikipedia sound recordings could be used as a professional calling-card, in that case by Makemi (T-C-L-K-R-D) and Mindspillage (T-C-L-K-R-D) :
QUOTE(Me)
Think about it - if you're, let's say, a harpist who plays at wedding receptions and corporate functions, how much more impressive is it to tell prospective clients that if they want to hear one of your recordings, they just have to go check out the article on "Harp" in Wikipedia? Rather than going to your own personal website? That would be a pretty big selling point, seems to me... I realize it's all done within the rules, but you could probably use that to increase your performance fees pretty substantially!

Obviously it would be extremely hypocritical for Durova to do something like that, not to mention risky given the quality of the stitching in question. But I guess that sort of goes without saying at this point.
+Quote Post
Eva Destruction

Fat Cat

QUOTE(Somey @ Thu 4th March 2010, 8:45pm) *

I say "self-promotion" despite the fact (or perhaps because of the fact) that I don't really know what Durova does for a living.

"Independent Writing and Editing Professional", apparently. I don't know if that's a fancy way of saying "freelance subeditor".
+Quote Post
The Adversary

CT (Check Troll)

An illustration in this article can serve two purposes; to show how great the finished work can be (like the Holbein-painting) ..or a "how to" picture. And seriously: would you try to do any of the smocking techniques from Durovas picture? I certainly would not. (As for showing great finished work, there are many pictures on commons; what is needed is a "how to".)

And l agree with Kelly: I have collected several books on a special ethnic type of embroidery these last few years, and, even with my limited interest: I could do that embroidery (if I wanted to!) based on the pictures in those books.

Again; I feel, in one way very badly criticizing Durova on this, as she is one of the few who has done long-term work in the textile/embroidery area. Beggars cannot be choosers, and all that. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/mellow.gif)

The problem is: when someone put up "any" bad work; won't that put off improvement in the future? I think it will. And I think Durova needs some hints, hints, nudge, nudge, that she should concentrate her activities on something else than doing smocking samplers in the future.

I've seen this before: when people work in "low-intensity" areas in wp, it can be easy to get a rather false picture of the value of your own work. People simply don't get enough feedback.

QUOTE(Somey @ Thu 4th March 2010, 8:26pm) *

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/huh.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ermm.gif) To certain editors on wp: Dont.Even.Think.About.It. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Trick cyclist

Fortunately Denmark palmed Norway off to Sweden in 1814

Group: Inactive

QUOTE(Somey @ Thu 4th March 2010, 6:36pm) *

Besides, the world has spandex and lycra now

Er - no. It has elastane. This is also known as spandex especially in the USA but according to the BBC spandex is actually a brand name. Lycra is the brand name for spandex used by Du Pont.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A676262

http://www.madehow.com/Volume-4/Spandex.html
+Quote Post
thekohser

Can't some of this smocking be done so that "M Y W I K I B I Z" appears in the stitching?
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(The Adversary @ Thu 4th March 2010, 1:02pm) *
Again; I feel, in one way very badly criticizing Durova on this, as she is one of the few who has done long-term work in the textile/embroidery area. Beggars cannot be choosers, and all that. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/mellow.gif)

I don't feel badly about criticizing Durova. She (usually) deserves it.

Wikipedia: The Beggar's Encyclopedia!
+Quote Post
The Adversary

CT (Check Troll)

QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 5th March 2010, 3:12am) *

Can't some of this smocking be done so that "M Y W I K I B I Z" appears in the stitching?

Heh; do like me: I order all my embroidery on ebay these days.

So much easier than relying on Durovas pictures! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/happy.gif)
+Quote Post
tarantino

the Dude abides

QUOTE(Trick cyclist @ Thu 4th March 2010, 11:05pm) *

QUOTE(Somey @ Thu 4th March 2010, 6:36pm) *

Besides, the world has spandex and lycra now

Er - no. It has elastane. This is also known as spandex especially in the USA but according to the BBC spandex is actually a brand name. Lycra is the brand name for spandex used by Du Pont.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A676262

http://www.madehow.com/Volume-4/Spandex.html

+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

+Quote Post
RDH(Ghost In The Machine)

And the admins broke Piggy's glasses...

Member No.: 15,578

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Fri 5th March 2010, 3:28am) *

Spandex Ballet

+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

QUOTE(RDH(Ghost In The Machine) @ Thu 4th March 2010, 10:49pm) *

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Fri 5th March 2010, 3:28am) *

Spandex Ballet

Gawd Wins Again …

+Quote Post
RDH(Ghost In The Machine)

And the admins broke Piggy's glasses...

Member No.: 15,578

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Fri 5th March 2010, 3:54am) *

Gawd Wins Again …

Teehee
(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)

This post has been edited by RDH(Ghost In The Machine):
+Quote Post
Enric_Naval

QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 5th March 2010, 3:12am) *

You could pay someone to make it and upload it to wikipedia. Oh wait....
+Quote Post
Trick cyclist

Fortunately Denmark palmed Norway off to Sweden in 1814

Group: Inactive

QUOTE(tarantino @ Fri 5th March 2010, 3:24am) *

What a stupid article. It doesnt mention elastane.
+Quote Post
Eva Destruction

Fat Cat

QUOTE(Trick cyclist @ Fri 5th March 2010, 8:21pm) *

QUOTE(tarantino @ Fri 5th March 2010, 3:24am) *

What a stupid article. It doesnt mention elastane.

Yes, that's the main problem with it.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)