FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Admittedly, things could be better -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Admittedly, things could be better
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

If you're reading this, then you've probably either gotten an e-mail from me or (prior to that) checked out our Facebook page, on which Gomi gave some instructions on modifying one's HOSTS file to bypass DNS. That should no longer be necessary though, now that I've figured out how to get the links to work using an IP address as the main board URL:

http://184.172.174.94/~wikipede

As some of you have already determined, the owner of our domain here unfortunately seems to have forgotten to make the site's registration-renewal payment for the year, and the domain has now been deactivated by the helpful folks at GoDaddy.com. I won't name names, of course, but the domain owner's initials are "Selina." I don't believe she would fail to make the payment intentionally, so it's possible she has simply fallen off the internet - which could mean any number of things relative to her personal status, most of which are bad. Hopefully she's OK, but obviously if she were OK, she probably would have made the renewal payment...

Thankfully, our hosting account is paid-up for several more months, and this also allows me to continue to make backups, so there's a very good chance that no posts, etc., will be lost, and if we don't hear from her ever again (or within a few days) and have to move to a new domain, we should be able to pick up right where we left off. The only question is how long we can wait for her to resurface - in addition to losing the goodwill of our members, from a purely practical perspective the value of incoming links (along with our Google PageRanks and Alexa ranking, FWIW) decreases with each passing day.

In the meantime, please try to think of this as our "extended SOPA/PIPA protest," maybe. (Hmm, yeah, that sounds pretty good.)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)