FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Student's Wikipedia hoax quote used worldwide in newspaper obituaries--Irish Times -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Student's Wikipedia hoax quote used worldwide in newspaper obituaries--Irish Times
Rating  4
EricBarbour

blah

Group: Regulars

A WIKIPEDIA hoax by a 22-year-old Dublin student resulted in a fake quote being published in newspaper obituaries around the world.

I didn't see it in the Newsfeed. Anyone know more?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

Here's the discussion thread on Slashdot. There are some halfway-decent ideas in there, actually, though I'm afraid none of them are coming from the pro-WP crowd, who once again can only manage the usual just-not-getting-it references to "the Nature study," and the standard self-righteous blathering about how "people should just stop vandalizing our website."

I realize Slashdot has one of the biggest user bases of any news/discussion forum on the internet, and I'm also biased... but it just seems to me that when WP-related issues appear on Slashdot, user support is always reflective of the tone and purpose of the original thread-starter. So if someone posts a new story about something embarrassing to WP, people pile on to attack WP, and if someone posts something positive about WP, people pile on to defend WP, usually by attacking its detractors.

Sometimes you see that with stories about Microsoft, Oracle, and Sun/Java, too (and I believe the latter two have now merged, btw). Maybe it's something about the way Slashdot is set up... I've never looked all that closely at their mod-points system, to be honest.
+Quote Post
Peter Damian

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

Group: Regulars

QUOTE(Somey @ Fri 8th May 2009, 9:52am) *

Here's the discussion thread on Slashdot. There are some halfway-decent ideas in there, actually, though I'm afraid none of them are coming from the pro-WP crowd, who once again can only manage the usual just-not-getting-it references to "the Nature study," and the standard self-righteous blathering about how "people should just stop vandalizing our website."

Eh? But then when you point out the problem with a reference work 'anyone can edit' they tell you there are no problems.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)