FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
"Even uncooler than editing Wikipedia..." -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> "Even uncooler than editing Wikipedia..."
Daniel Brandt

Postmaster

Group: Regulars

Nicholas Carr's blog, 2010-02-04:
Did you see that new Pew study that came out yesterday? It put a big fat exclamation point on what a lot of us have come to realize recently: blogging is now the uncoolest thing you can do on the Internet. It's even uncooler than editing Wikipedia articles or having a Second Life avatar.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(Daniel Brandt @ Fri 5th February 2010, 5:05pm) *

Did you see that new Pew study that came out yesterday? It put a big fat exclamation point on what a lot of us have come to realize recently: blogging is now the uncoolest thing you can do on the Internet. It's even uncooler than editing Wikipedia articles or having a Second Life avatar.

Article carefully does not mention what IS supposed to be cool. And if the answer is "tweeting" (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/sick.gif) I just have to leave the room.
+Quote Post
Rhindle

Group: Contributors

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Fri 5th February 2010, 4:07pm) *

QUOTE(Daniel Brandt @ Fri 5th February 2010, 5:05pm) *

Article carefully does not mention what IS supposed to be cool. And if the answer is "tweeting" (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/sick.gif) I just have to leave the room.

It doesn't look that way, but it seems like what's "cool" is being defined by what teens and twentysomethings do...

Teens are not using Twitter in large numbers. While teens are bigger users of almost all other online applications, Twitter is an exception
+Quote Post
RDH(Ghost In The Machine)

And the admins broke Piggy's glasses...

Member No.: 15,578

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sat 6th February 2010, 12:07am) *

And playing Farmville on Facebook.

Vegetables pretending to grow and sell vegetables...
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(RDH(Ghost In The Machine) @ Fri 5th February 2010, 7:56pm) *

Farm Town. I've been going on and on about the apparently demented horror that is Farm Town, now, for many moons.

In theory it's no worse than mindlessly knitting something you could buy for 1% of the time you spend on it, if you were being paid your normal wage. Well, 1% worse. Still, there's something ironic and sad about it, given mankind's historical struggles to escape mindless agricultural labor. So much so that it transcends ordinary time-wasting activities. It's like that Millet painting of the gleaners-- only imagine them as rich fat Americans, doing it in virtual reality, out of boredom. Rather than sending money to Haiti or The Children's fund or the Dog Pound local animal shelter. It's so mindless it makes Wikipedia-editing look Einsteinian. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ohmy.gif) Twinkle users look like rocket scientists. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/yecch.gif)
+Quote Post
Trick cyclist

Fortunately Denmark palmed Norway off to Sweden in 1814

Group: Inactive

QUOTE(Rhindle @ Sat 6th February 2010, 12:58am) *

it seems like what's "cool" is being defined by what teens and twentysomethings do...

Well yes how else do you define cool? By what my grandfather is doing back in Åbenrå?

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sat 6th February 2010, 4:43am) *

Twinkle users look like rocket scientists.

Rocket scientists? In Denmark 12 year olds are taught to make rockets in school. We used baking powder, vinegar and the tubes from toilet rolls. Now that is cool. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Rhindle

QUOTE(Trick cyclist @ Sat 6th February 2010, 4:55am) *

it seems like what's "cool" is being defined by what teens and twentysomethings do...

Well yes how else do you define cool? By what my grandfather is doing back in Åbenrå?

Personally, I define it by what I find interesting, not by what society tells me what is. Going by what the kids do is so cliche now. If what your gf did was interesting I would consider it cool. I have no problem going against the grain.

This post has been edited by Rhindle:
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(Trick cyclist @ Sat 6th February 2010, 5:55am) *

Twinkle users look like rocket scientists.

Rocket scientists? In Denmark 12 year olds are taught to make rockets in school. We used baking powder, vinegar and the tubes from toilet rolls. Now that is cool. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

What is your subspecialty in astonomy? Do you think the probabability of getting a radio signal indicating intelligent life, is higher or lower, from ellipitical galaxies? And why. Is carbon a metal? Discuss what Z-1 means to you personally.
+Quote Post
Trick cyclist

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sat 6th February 2010, 6:56pm) *

What is your subspecialty in astonomy? Do you think the probabability of getting a radio signal indicating intelligent life, is higher or lower, from ellipitical galaxies? And why. Is carbon a metal? Discuss what Z-1 means to you personally.

Astonishing. No relevance to my post and an obvious attempt to derail the thread. However as i'm just a naive little WR contributor Ill fall for it.

* What is your subspecialty in astonomy?
Hmm ... Specialty ... "an instrument under seal, a sealed contract". ??? Wait! American spelling of speciality. (I've had to learn English; its a bit hard having to learn American as well.) I observe variable stars and occultations by the moon and asteroids.

* Do you think the probabability of getting a radio signal indicating intelligent life, is higher or lower, from ellipitical galaxies?
No idea what ellipitical galaxies are. But probability higher or lower than what? Of Somey becoming a steward? Hard to say. I do know that we dont have the technology to detect radio signals indicating intelligent life from other galaxies and doubt that we will in the near future.

* Is carbon a metal?
Of course. As you know perfectly well, in astronomy all elements except hydrogen and helium are regarded as metals.

* Discuss what Z-1 means to you personally.
It's a model helicopter. http://www.deviltronics.com/product/41/pic...nook-helicopter

Now is it my turn to ask irrelevant questions?

* Which element is named in honour of a Danish scientist?
* Which Danish mathematician popularised the term "superellipse"?
* Whose grandmothers had the maiden names Rosenkranz and Guldenstern?
* What do you think of Danish singer Christine Milton?
+Quote Post
Eva Destruction

Fat Cat

QUOTE(Trick cyclist @ Sat 6th February 2010, 11:04pm) *

* Discuss what Z-1 means to you personally.
It's a model helicopter. http://www.deviltronics.com/product/41/pic...nook-helicopter

Lying like a fucking rug; z is a term a day-one astronomy student would know.
+Quote Post
Trick cyclist

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Sat 6th February 2010, 11:11pm) *

No sense of humour some people. I'm winding Milton up. Yes, X is the proportion of hydrogen in an object, Y of helium and Z of metals (including carbon).

Oh and z is the ratio of the wavelength of a spectral line in an object to its rest wavelength so z-1 is the redshift. I was fooled because Milton used capital Z. A mistake that as you say a day-one astronomy student would not make.

This post has been edited by Trick cyclist:
+Quote Post
The Adversary

CT (Check Troll)

QUOTE(Trick cyclist @ Sat 6th February 2010, 11:33pm) *

No sense of humour some people. I'm winding Milton up. Yes, X is the proportion of hydrogen in an object, Y of helium and Z of metals (including carbon).

Hvisduerdanskerjegenkinesernemlig (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Trick cyclist

QUOTE(The Adversary @ Sat 6th February 2010, 11:38pm) *

我很高興聽到這種說法。
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(The Adversary @ Sat 6th February 2010, 4:38pm) *

QUOTE(Trick cyclist @ Sat 6th February 2010, 11:33pm) *

Blew it there. I asked about Z-1, and should have asked about Z+1. You get a point for carbon being a metal.

Elliptical galaxies . But these nordic languages are not your native ones. How is it you missed this term? Would these be more or less likely than other kinds to be sending us radio messages?

Bohrium is the element. But what was Bohr's favorite element?

I can't imagine that anybody had two grandmothers who happened to be named Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.

Piet Hein is mentioned in the Wiki on superellipse, so that's too easy. You dodged the subspeciality question. What topics are your research topics?
+Quote Post
The Adversary

CT (Check Troll)

QUOTE(Trick cyclist @ Sat 6th February 2010, 11:45pm) *

QUOTE(The Adversary @ Sat 6th February 2010, 11:38pm) *

我很高興聽到這種說法。

Hah! q.e.d.!

Detvarjodetjegtenktedukanbrukeoversetterenforallespåkmendetforandrerikkedetfaktumatduikkekanskriveenenestekorrektsetningpådetsomliksomskalværedittmorsmål.

ps:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosencrantz_and_Guildenstern
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(The Adversary @ Sat 6th February 2010, 5:31pm) *

Yes, I know very well who the Shakespeare characters are. But that wasn't the question.
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

(IMG:http://i819.photobucket.com/albums/zz114/nessyj79/do_not_feed_trolls.jpg)
+Quote Post
RDH(Ghost In The Machine)

And the admins broke Piggy's glasses...

Member No.: 15,578

QUOTE(RDH(Ghost In The Machine) @ Fri 5th February 2010, 7:56pm) *

Farm Town. I've been going on and on about the apparently demented horror that is Farm Town, now, for many moons.

In theory it's no worse than mindlessly knitting something you could buy for 1% of the time you spend on it, if you were being paid your normal wage. Well, 1% worse. Still, there's something ironic and sad about it, given mankind's historical struggles to escape mindless agricultural labor. So much so that it transcends ordinary time-wasting activities. It's like that Millet painting of the gleaners-- only imagine them as rich fat Americans, doing it in virtual reality, out of boredom. Rather than sending money to Haiti or The Children's fund or the Dog Pound local animal shelter. It's so mindless it makes Wikipedia-editing look Einsteinian. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ohmy.gif) Twinkle users look like rocket scientists. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/yecch.gif)

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/applause.gif)
Indeed, there is a reason why most people, excluding the Oliver Douglasses of course, can't wait to leave the farm in search of a more (sub)urban lifestyle.
Then there is the whole question about ambition...at least in Mafia Wars you can become a Don, run a crew and build an underworld empire.

Who wants to be a farmer when it is possible to be an Emperor?!
In the RTS games I play, farming is what lowly peasants do to produce food for my troops and taxes for my coffers.
What's next? A mining sim!? Hey, at least it promises to be more exciting than farming.
Then after that maybe a forced labor camp sim...oh wait, nevermind that's Wikipedia.
(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Trick cyclist

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sat 6th February 2010, 11:55pm) *

How is it you missed this term? Would these be more or less likely than other kinds to be sending us radio messages?

I didnt. I was pulling your leg about your deliberate (?) typo. As theres no way we could detect these messages there would be no point sending them.
I can't imagine that anybody had two grandmothers who happened to be named Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.

Fail! http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/puzzles/2.html
You dodged the subspeciality question.

No I didnt. Read my earlier post please.
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.
Member No.: 981

I hate to interrupt the smarty-pants pissing contest but I think this thread shows much of why Wikipedia is so uncool, like volunteering for extra homework. Some core aspects of cool are restraint, understatement, self direction and disregard for pleasing authority. Not very Wikipedian attributes.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)