FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
World War II -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Help

This subforum is for critical evaluation of Wikipedia articles. However, to reduce topic-bloat, please make note of exceptionally poor stubs, lists, and other less attention-worthy material in the Miscellaneous Grab Bag thread. Also, please be aware that agents of the Wikimedia Foundation might use your evaluations to improve the articles in question.

Useful Links: Featured Article CandidatesFeatured Article ReviewArticles for DeletionDeletion Review

> World War II, The anti-US version
Emperor

Postmaster

Group: Regulars

When will Oberiko and his group stop?

He's won just about every argument he's had, and still keeps going.

He's got the article under constant semi-protection.
He's deleted the American picture from the lead montage, and now there are 2 Soviet, 2 Commonwealth, and 2 Japanese.
The Intro and infobox refuse to say that the war started in 1939, and the 1937/39 debate continues.
The Intro and infobox don't list the major combatants
The major commanders aren't listed anywhere in the article. (For fun, try to find "Eisenhower" or "Zhukov" anywhere on the page using Edit --> Find on this Page.)

The entire article is written in Oberiko's weird wiki-summary style where the proper names of events are hidden within Wiki-links. See the Normandy Invasion coverage, in its entirety:
In June, 1944, the Western Allies invaded northern France

And check my favorite passage:
The Soviets decided to make their stand at Stalingrad which was in the path of the advancing German armies and by mid-November the Germans had nearly taken Stalingrad in bitter street fighting when the Soviets began their second winter counter-offensive, starting with an encirclement of German forces at Stalingrad[94] and an assault on the Rzhev salient near Moscow, though the latter failed disastrously.[95

I've been following the article for years now, and seen people come and go but basically anyone who doesn't agree with Oberiko gets frustrated and leaves. He's not afraid to swing his administrator status and have people blocked who edit war with him or Parsecboy.

I could go through line by line and point out not only anti-Western and anti-American bias, but also outright errors. Take the first line of the Background section:
In the aftermath of World War I, the defeated German Empire signed the Treaty of Versailles.[7]

How does anyone not notice this for months and months? I've been watching it as an experiment to see if Wikipedians will ever get a clue, but, well, you see. Later in the background you'll find out that Germany's goal with Austria was to make it a "satellite state". Both of these statements are referenced too?

Insult to injury: the Holocaust is described as "the systematic purging of Jews in Europe". Well I'm pretty sure English isn't Oberiko's first language, but then why doesn't anyone help him? Oh right, because it's so obvious that the article is Owned that you'd be an idiot to try to help.

I know this breaks my rule of thumb not to help Wikipedia myself, but it is the number one search result and I'm feeling a bit of remorse just letting it fester, with it being around D-Day this week and having just recently talked to guy who was a B-29 pilot based in Saipan. I can't believe a generation of kids might be seeing their first encyclopedia article about WWII on Wikipedia.

This post has been edited by Emperor:
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Emperor

Postmaster

QUOTE(Wikipedia)
In March 1939 Germany invaded the rump of Czechoslovakia...

source
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(Emperor @ Sat 21st February 2009, 4:20pm) *

QUOTE(Wikipedia)

source

That's the way I remember it. "Rump" meaning what was leftover, after the Sudetenland was annexed in Oct. 1938 under the Sept. 1938 Munich Agreement "Peace in our time" thing. When Germany took the rest the next Spring, a little-mentioned event in history, the cards for WW II were on the table. England knew for sure from that date it would inevitably be war with the breaking of the agreement, but no war was declared at the time for England simply couldn't believe events, and wasn't ready. It took 6 months for reality to sink in, so that with the invasion of Poland, reaction was immediate.
+Quote Post
LessHorrid vanU

Devils Advocaat

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sat 21st February 2009, 11:51pm) *

QUOTE(Wikipedia)

source

That's the way I remember it. "Rump" meaning what was leftover, after the Sudetenland was annexed in Oct. 1938 under the Sept. 1938 Munich Agreement "Peace in our time" thing. When Germany took the rest the next Spring, a little-mentioned event in history, the cards for WW II were on the table. England knew for sure from that date it would inevitably be war with the breaking of the agreement, but no war was declared at the time for England simply couldn't believe events, and wasn't ready. It took 6 months for reality to sink in, so that with the invasion of Poland, reaction was immediate. (LHvU underlining.)

Great Britain (as it was then) went onto a war footing upon the Czech invasion, see the production figures for the Hawker Hurrican - started in October 1937, 500 planes built by start of September 1939 (remembering they were building Spitfires, Defiants, Wellingtons, Battles, Blenheims, and a few other types at the same time), the navy was being refitted and keels laid down, and the army was being re-equipped. France attempted to do the same, but their more fractured infrastructure meant they were not as effective in getting new equipment into production (the Dewoitine D.520 was a contemporary of the Spitfire and 109E in performance more than the Hurri was). War within Europe was inevitable because the French were not going to tolerate an emergent Germany on the mainland, and Britain didn't need another naval power (along with France and the US) in the North Atlantic.

The Poland ultimatium might be considered a gambit by the British/French to hold off the declaration of war by which time their respective industries would have been producing in quantity the quality materials needed to negate German weaponary (Germany didn't go into war production mode until 1940, when it was realised that Britain was going to stay in, and might have had difficulty compensating for losses against a resilient French military backed by Great Britain with its factories not threatened by an enemy off its southern coast.) Hitler likely gambled that the ultimatium could be called in the short term because he was aware that his borders to the west would remain secure, but waiting would have placed the allies in a position to build up resources sufficiently to turn defensive strategy into offensive.

It has to be remembered that France had fallen, the Italians had entered on the side of Germany, North Africa was a theatre of war, the Norwegian campaigns had ended, the Battle of Britain won, and invasion of Russia by the Axis being put into action before the Japanese started their attacks - a delay by Hitler in invading Poland would have placed Britain and France in a far stronger position within Europe.

Um, that is my on the fly take on the situation anyway.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(LessHorrid vanU @ Sun 22nd February 2009, 3:01pm) *

QUOTE(Wikipedia)

source

That's the way I remember it. "Rump" meaning what was leftover, after the Sudetenland was annexed in Oct. 1938 under the Sept. 1938 Munich Agreement "Peace in our time" thing. When Germany took the rest the next Spring, a little-mentioned event in history, the cards for WW II were on the table. England knew for sure from that date it would inevitably be war with the breaking of the agreement, but no war was declared at the time for England simply couldn't believe events, and wasn't ready. It took 6 months for reality to sink in, so that with the invasion of Poland, reaction was immediate. (LHvU underlining.)

Great Britain (as it was then) went onto a war footing upon the Czech invasion, see the production figures for the Hawker Hurrican - started in October 1937, 500 planes built by start of September 1939 (remembering they were building Spitfires, Defiants, Wellingtons, Battles, Blenheims, and a few other types at the same time), the navy was being refitted and keels laid down, and the army was being re-equipped. France attempted to do the same, but their more fractured infrastructure meant they were not as effective in getting new equipment into production (the Dewoitine D.520 was a contemporary of the Spitfire and 109E in performance more than the Hurri was). War within Europe was inevitable because the French were not going to tolerate an emergent Germany on the mainland, and Britain didn't need another naval power (along with France and the US) in the North Atlantic.

Yes, I didn't mean to suggest that Great Britain sat around paralyzed. They certainly went on more of a war footing after the rest of Czechoslovakia went down. But the curious thing to me is that the Chamberlain government didn't fall in March 1939, or even in September 1939. Despite that fact that Chamberlain and the Munich pact had made it perfectly clear that it was predicated on the Nazis leaving the rest of the country alone, and Churchill's prediction that they wouldn't (which nobody listened to). Even more incredibly, when Great Britain gave Germany the final ultimatum about Poland, the Chamberlain government didn't fall even after Hitler broke THAT, and war had to be declared. That's rather what I mean about reality not sinking in. You don't go to war with the same people whose bad judgement led you into it unprepared. It took Great Britain until the (essential) loss of France, and the scramble and miracle/disaster at Dunkirk, to finally figure that out. That was a year late.
+Quote Post
LessHorrid vanU

Devils Advocaat

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Mon 23rd February 2009, 7:05pm) *

QUOTE(LessHorrid vanU @ Sun 22nd February 2009, 3:01pm) *

QUOTE(Wikipedia)

source

Yes, I didn't mean to suggest that Great Britain sat around paralyzed. They certainly went on more of a war footing after the rest of Czechoslovakia went down. But the curious thing to me is that the Chamberlain government didn't fall in March 1939, or even in September 1939. Despite that fact that Chamberlain and the Munich pact had made it perfectly clear that it was predicated on the Nazis leaving the rest of the country alone, and Churchill's prediction that they wouldn't (which nobody listened to). Even more incredibly, when Great Britain gave Germany the final ultimatum about Poland, the Chamberlain government didn't fall even after Hitler broke THAT, and war had to be declared. That's rather what I mean about reality not sinking in. You don't go to war with the same people whose bad judgement led you into it unprepared. It took Great Britain until the (essential) loss of France, and the scramble and miracle/disaster at Dunkirk, to finally figure that out. That was a year late.

Winston was not liked in his own party let alone parliament, and I believe the French were not keen on the imperialist gentleman either. It was only when there was no "civilised" alternative did he get the nod - and a fantastic job he did, too. However, he lost the immediate election after the war as well. Chamberlain was liked within his party, Parliament and the population - it was realised that Hitler had abused the trust he was given. Chamberlain was ever the realist and stepped down for the better war leader (of a nationalist coalition - not Conservative - government).

To Emperor - that is how the nation styled itself in those days, when not referring to itself as an Empire.
+Quote Post
dogbiscuit

Could you run through Verifiability not Truth once more?

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,015

QUOTE(LessHorrid vanU @ Mon 23rd February 2009, 8:49pm) *

Winston was not liked in his own party let alone parliament, and I believe the French were not keen on the imperialist gentleman either. It was only when there was no "civilised" alternative did he get the nod - and a fantastic job he did, too. However, he lost the immediate election after the war as well. Chamberlain was liked within his party, Parliament and the population - it was realised that Hitler had abused the trust he was given. Chamberlain was ever the realist and stepped down for the better war leader (of a nationalist coalition - not Conservative - government).

To Emperor - that is how the nation styled itself in those days, when not referring to itself as an Empire.

For an eye opener, go to his bunker in London from which he ran the war seemingly from his bed. He had breakfast in bed, afternoon naps, but it seems he did know a thing or two about fighting a world war. Hopelessly out of touch for peacetime as far as my skimpy knowledge of modern British history allows me to believe.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(LessHorrid vanU @ Mon 23rd February 2009, 8:49pm) *

More than that. The guy was only 6 months away from dying of colon cancer, so he can't have been feeling too well, whether he knew anything was formally wrong with him at the time, or not.

Life is not fair. Winston's son Randolf, an alcoholic that nobody liked, also had a colon tumor, but when it was removed it was found not to be cancer. Somebody said: "What a shame they have cut out the only part of Randolf which is NOT malignant." In Chamberlain's case, as you say, everybody liked the man. His problem was that he was so sweet he apparently could not recognize evil when it stared him in the face.

Winston Churchill had no difficulty recognizing evil immediately in Hitler. Or Stalin. I don't think this was particularly due to any evil in Winston's character-- rather his deep knowledge of history.

QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Mon 23rd February 2009, 3:47pm) *

For an eye opener, go to his bunker in London from which he ran the war seemingly from his bed. He had breakfast in bed, afternoon naps, but it seems he did know a thing or two about fighting a world war. Hopelessly out of touch for peacetime as far as my skimpy knowledge of modern British history allows me to believe.

Winston was an awful Chancellor of the Exchequer, and during his second term as PM late in life, he was getting pretty old and worn out. But otherwise, everybody needs somebody to run its defense dept even in peacetime, and Great Britain kept Churchill out for many years, even though they needed him pretty much all the time he was an MP. That was dumb. He got blamed for Galipoli in WW I, which wasn't really his fault (had the plan been executed by people as physically fearless as Churchill, it would have worked brilliantly. But they hesitated due to fear of mines long enough to let the Turks get in place, and then got slaughtered).

Yes, Winston often ran things from his bed, often with a liberal amount of alcohol to keep him out of withdrawal (as I read it!). But wars at the top are won by tactical thinking and it hardly matters where a person does that. Nor did historical wisdom in those times need be on display anywhere but in what a man wrote. And occasionally said on the radio (but Winston even had a reader for THAT, when he got too busy).
+Quote Post
Emperor

Postmaster

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Mon 23rd February 2009, 7:28pm) *

He got blamed for Galipoli in WW I, which wasn't really his fault (had the plan been executed by people as physically fearless as Churchill, it would have worked brilliantly. But they hesitated due to fear of mines long enough to let the Turks get in place, and then got slaughtered).

It really was a great idea. Even if it was a long shot, it had the potential to save millions of lives. Allied ships were almost through the mines and the Turkish shore batteries were almost out of ammunition when the Allies turned around.

The try on land wasn't so far-fetched it couldn't have worked either. All those guys needed was a commander like Nick Nolte screaming, "High ground by nightfall!".
+Quote Post
everyking

Postmaster

QUOTE(Emperor @ Tue 24th February 2009, 4:11am) *

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Mon 23rd February 2009, 7:28pm) *

He got blamed for Galipoli in WW I, which wasn't really his fault (had the plan been executed by people as physically fearless as Churchill, it would have worked brilliantly. But they hesitated due to fear of mines long enough to let the Turks get in place, and then got slaughtered).

It really was a great idea. Even if it was a long shot, it had the potential to save millions of lives. Allied ships were almost through the mines and the Turkish shore batteries were almost out of ammunition when the Allies turned around.

Other people at the time had ideas that would have saved even more lives. Churchill did not approve of those ideas.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Emperor   World War II  
cyofee   Boo hoo, America isn't mentioned enough. There...  
Emperor   Boo hoo, America isn't mentioned enough. Ther...  
Peter Damian   How does anyone not notice this for months and m...  
sarcasticidealist   Could you help me out here, as I know very little ...  
guy   Were I to wish to be a dingus about this, I'd...  
sarcasticidealist   What about the Italian invasion of Abyssinia in 19...  
Herschelkrustofsky   Saying the war started in 1937 is an error, not a...  
Emperor   How does anyone not notice this for months and ...  
sarcasticidealist   The Kaiser abdicated and the German Empire ceased ...  
ThurstonHowell3rd   This article does have a non-American POV, but I d...  
guy   This article does have a non-American POV, but I ...  
ThurstonHowell3rd   This article does have a non-American POV, but I...  
Yehudi   I would contend calling these events a "the ...  
Proabivouac   This article does have a non-American POV, but I ...  
Milton Roe   This article does have a non-American POV, but I...  
Disillusioned Lackey   If we assume Germany had totally won in Europe (i...  
Milton Roe   [quote name='Milton Roe' post='107072' date='Tue ...  
Proabivouac   For sure, but in my alternate history, I'm as...  
Milton Roe   There are several other plausible alternate histo...  
Disillusioned Lackey   I've got to read Pat Buchannan's [i]Churc...  
Herschelkrustofsky   The fire-bombing of Dresden was pretty awful, and...  
Disillusioned Lackey   The death toll was substantially greater than Hi...  
Herschelkrustofsky   [quote name='Herschelkrustofsky' post='107164' da...  
Disillusioned Lackey   Oh.  
dogbiscuit   [quote name='Herschelkrustofsky' post='107164' d...  
thekohser   The most horrifying feature was that Dresden had ...  
House of Cards   Not so fast on Dresden. It all depends on what y...  
Herschelkrustofsky   [quote name='Herschelkrustofsky' post='107175' da...  
Milton Roe   [quote name='thekohser' post='107233' date='Wed 1...  
Herschelkrustofsky   [quote name='thekohser' post='107233' date='Wed ...  
Milton Roe   Well, as I mentioned, this point is moot, because...  
everyking   This article does have a non-American POV, but I...  
Emperor   By the way, does anyone else think that parts of t...  
House of Cards   Any articles involving Eastern European history ar...  
everyking   Any articles involving Eastern European history a...  
Milton Roe   This is preposterous. Nobody claims that there wa...  
House of Cards   Yes. That doesn't get a lot of historical att...  
Disillusioned Lackey   A major reason why there is little attention to t...  
House of Cards   As an interesting note, the US Veterans Associatio...  
Proabivouac   As an interesting note, the US Veterans Associati...  
Rootology   As an interesting note, the US Veterans Associati...  
House of Cards   As an interesting note, the US Veterans Associat...  
House of Cards   Ah, sorry. Not just the carnage, but everything el...  
Neil   As I recall, wasn't Dresden firebombed a] in r...  
thekohser   As I recall, wasn't Dresden firebombed a] in ...  
Pumpkin Muffins   As I recall, wasn't Dresden firebombed a] in...  
everyking   [quote name='thekohser' post='107233' date='Wed 1...  
Pumpkin Muffins   That's what humans do under certain conditio...  
everyking   That's what humans do under certain conditi...  
Proabivouac   Actually, I think capitalism and imperialism are ...  
everyking   Actually, I think capitalism and imperialism are...  
Pumpkin Muffins   A false dichotomy: cooperation with and generosi...  
Proabivouac   I don't understand your point. Are you trying...  
GlassBeadGame   I am always troubled by the equating of Hitler and...  
Emperor   Google and Yahoo think that Wikipedia has the best...  
Emperor   Since everyone is sharing, had I been Truman I wou...  
The Joy   Since everyone is sharing, had I been Truman I wo...  
Emperor   The "revisionists" or fringe theorists ...  
Proabivouac   Of course it's easier to obsess about Allied ...  
Disillusioned Lackey   source: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti...  
Emperor   What's with the "anger" comment? S...  
Moulton   Every human being should be insulted at the notion...  
Viridae   As an interesting note, the US Veterans Associati...  
Moulton   There is a small museum in the town of Los Alamos ...  
Emperor   Now look at the intro: World War II or the Second...  
Emperor   That's the way I remember it. "Rump...  
Bottled_Spider   England knew for sure from that date it would inev...  
Emperor   No no no. You're being selective in your quot...  
Milton Roe   [quote name='Milton Roe' post='157706' date='Sat ...  
Emperor   To Emperor - that is how the nation styled itself...  
Milton Roe   [quote name='Milton Roe' post='158145' date='Mon ...  
Emperor   In the US civil war McClellan was defeated again ...  
RDH(Ghost In The Machine)   [quote name='Milton Roe' post='158145' date='Mon ...  
A Horse With No Name   I feel likewise about Operation Market Garden......  
Casliber   I remember the very first time I looked at WP I r...  
Emperor   Oh dear. Be careful talking about "Great Bri...  
Floydsvoid   This is neither here nor there. I've grown qu...  
Emperor   Update - I just checked in on the Wikipedia articl...  
Trick cyclist   Also, there's no picture of Hitler, though od...  
Emperor   Also, there's no picture of Hitler, though o...  
Emperor   Still to this day Wikipedia can't get this top...  
Cla68   Still to this day Wikipedia can't get this to...  
radek   [quote name='Emperor' post='222912' date='Mon 22n...  
everyking   Still to this day Wikipedia can't get this t...  
TungstenCarbide   [quote name='Cla68' post='224159' date='Tue 2nd M...  
Enric_Naval   Still to this day Wikipedia can't get this t...  
BelovedFox   If I could be bothered with it, I'd probably t...  
Emperor   If I could be bothered with it, I'd probably ...  
radek   If I could be bothered with it, I'd probably...  
Emperor   Dang it I wish I wasn't topic banned! h...  
radek   Dang it I wish I wasn't topic banned! ...  
CharlotteWebb   The Eastern European mailing list. And the topic ...  
thekohser   Sure would be nice if they actually defined easte...  
radek   [quote name='radek' post='224155' date='Mon 1st M...  
CharlotteWebb   I do think however that there is SOME common sens...  
Trick cyclist   I think defining it as Belarus, Russia, and the U...  
CharlotteWebb   I think they like to pretend theyre Scandinavian....  
HRIP7   I think they like to pretend theyre Scandinavian...  
CharlotteWebb   In the case of the Estonians, it's not entire...  
HRIP7   In the case of the Estonians, it's not entir...  
Milton Roe   For the realz I'll take Martin Gilbert or Nor...  
BelovedFox   For the realz I'll take Martin Gilbert or No...  
Emperor   Apparently seven references is the perfect number....  
thekohser   Apparently seven references is the perfect number...  
Emperor   The moderators have moved this thread without givi...  
EricBarbour   The moderators have moved this thread without givi...  
dogbiscuit   The moderators have moved this thread without giv...  
Emperor   The moderators have moved this thread without giv...  
Emperor   Radek, save your breath. This thread has been mov...  
radek   Radek, save your breath. This thread has been mo...  
Cla68   Radek, save your breath. This thread has been m...  
RDH(Ghost In The Machine)   Radek, save your breath. This thread has been mo...  
RDH(Ghost In The Machine)   May I ask, with all due respect and love, who the ...  
GlassBeadGame   May I ask, with all due respect and love, who the...  
RDH(Ghost In The Machine)   [quote name='RDH(Ghost In The Machine)' p...  
EricBarbour   Ok, I see you JakeSooly. Since some of the partici...  
TungstenCarbide   [quote name='TungstenCarbide' post='224687' date='...  
GlassBeadGame   [quote name='RDH(Ghost In The Machine)' ...  
TungstenCarbide   Ok, I see you JakeSooly. Since some of the partici...  
radek   [quote name='RDH(Ghost In The Machine)' p...  
Emperor   Just more disrespect for content-generators by adm...  
dogbiscuit   I'm with the anals. If the problems of this t...  
RDH(Ghost In The Machine)   I'm with the anals. If the problems of this ...  
Emperor   Another howler: Wikipedia - 2/13/12 For those ...  
Mister Die   WWII is one of those Wikipedia articles that I don...  
radek   WWII is one of those Wikipedia articles that I do...  
Selina   [url=http://wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Carolmooredc]...  
Emperor   Well to read the "Occupation" section as...  
Selina   Well to read the "Occupation" section a...  
Emperor   Another example of poor writing quality, error, ...  
Fusion   Second, "retaining some or all of their colo...  
Eppur si muove   Second, "retaining some or all of their col...  
Fusion   Algeria certainly regarded themselves as a colony...  
Emperor   Algeria certainly regarded themselves as a colon...  
Fusion   Basically making the debate here about some hyper...  
Emperor   Basically making the debate here about some hype...  
Fusion   Is your argument that this statement is 100% tr...  
Emperor   Is your argument that this statement is 100% t...  
Fusion   My issues with the statement are: 1) "retai...  
Web Fred   [quote name='Web Fred' post='303514' date='Sun 2...  
Emperor   My issues with the statement are: 1) "reta...  
Web Fred   In terms of men killed, the USA lost more than Br...  
Emperor   In terms of men killed, the USA lost more than B...  
Fusion   In terms of men killed, the USA lost more than Br...  
Emperor   In terms of men killed, the USA lost more than B...  
Fusion   First let's just agree to exclude Russia from...  
Emperor   First let's just agree to exclude Russia fro...  
Fusion   Russia's interactions with Eastern Europe and...  
Web Fred   Russia's interactions with Eastern Europe an...  
Web Fred   America is of course not in Europe. It too lost s...  
Emperor   Second, "retaining some or all of their col...  
Mister Die   [quote name='Fusion' post='303307' date='Mon 19th...  
Mister Die   I wonder what'd happen if a bunch of guys got ...  
Emperor   I wonder what'd happen if a bunch of guys got...  
Emperor   I just noticed the caption under the map: World m...  
Mister Die   [quote name='Emperor' post='303665' date='Mon 26th...  
Emperor   [quote name='Emperor' post='303665' date='Mon 26t...  
Text   Buy yourself some good, old, high school books abo...  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)