FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Comcast -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Help

This subforum is for critical evaluation of Wikipedia articles. However, to reduce topic-bloat, please make note of exceptionally poor stubs, lists, and other less attention-worthy material in the Miscellaneous Grab Bag thread. Also, please be aware that agents of the Wikimedia Foundation might use your evaluations to improve the articles in question.

Useful Links: Featured Article CandidatesFeatured Article ReviewArticles for DeletionDeletion Review

> Comcast
thekohser

Group: Regulars

Talk about information vomit.

Comcast will not broadcast the Tampa Bay Rays baseball games on the Sun Sports network in SE Florida. They do broadcast the games in the SW Florida area, also in Tallahassee and Jacksonville.

I thought this was an "encyclopedia", and thus the aim is to convey the important accumulated knowledge about the subject.

I suppose I'm not allowed to edit the Comcast article in Wikipedia, right?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
thekohser

Every day, it becomes more clear to me that Wikipedia would be better served on its articles about corporations if the corporate communications staff were more fully integrated into the process of article construction.

Does Wikipedia really think that this throughput upgrade was limited to "certain areas of Utah", just because that's what the chosen reliable source happened to say?

This post has been edited by thekohser:
+Quote Post
Lar

"His blandness goes to 11!"

Member No.: 4,290

QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 28th December 2009, 11:10am) *

Every day, it becomes more clear to me that Wikipedia would be better served on its articles about corporations if the corporate communications staff were more fully integrated into the process of article construction.

A policy for disclosed COI and monitored/restricted editing would be far more effective than our current don't ask/don't tell policy in which all you have to do is assert you don't have a COI and then claim that any attempt to show you actually do have one is "outing"...

COI isn't a bad thing in and of itself, if it's disclosed and known in advance.

I for one would LOVE to see the Comcast PR department on the Comcast talk page (they might get an earful from time to time but yes)... WP corporate articles are one of the weakest areas of the project (other than BLPs) which is not too surprising when you consider the demographics of the editor population... many folk pretty anti-corporate and many of the rest pretty uninterested in the topic area.

It's a hard area to do well. Especially when you can't use certain classes of references.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

QUOTE(Lar @ Mon 28th December 2009, 10:20am) *

I for one would LOVE to see the Comcast PR department on the Comcast talk page (they might get an earful from time to time but yes)... WP corporate articles are one of the weakest areas of the project (other than BLPs) which is not too surprising when you consider the demographics of the editor population... many folk pretty anti-corporate and many of the rest pretty uninterested in the topic area.

It's a hard area to do well. Especially when you can't use certain classes of references.

It also doesn't help that the PR people make no effort to learn how Wikipedia operates (in theory, if not in practice). PR people come from the school of "When You're a Hammer, Every Problem Looks Like a Nail" -- they usually fail to adjust their information to fit the editorial requirements of Wikipedia, but instead keep doing the usual PR shtick as if Wikipedia is PR Newswire or BusinessWire. Thus, it is too easy to spot a PR-crafted article -- it reads like a press release.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)