FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Is Malleus addicted to Wikipedia? -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Help

This forum is for discussing specific Wikipedia editors, editing patterns, and general efforts by those editors to influence or direct content in ways that might not be in keeping with Wikipedia policy. Please source your claims and provide links where appropriate. For a glossary of terms frequently used when discussing Wikipedia and related projects, please refer to Wikipedia:Glossary.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is Malleus addicted to Wikipedia?, Is it possible for him to stop editing, even for a day?
chrisoff

Group: Contributors

Despite umpteen threats to "leave", the last one that Malleus won't edit an article again until his demands are met.

I won't be returning to editing articles until User:Georgewilliamherbert puts his money where his mouth is with respect to his threat to take User:Mkativerata to ArbCom for unblocking me, during which investigation I hope that [[User:Kaldari]]'s behaviour will also come under scrutiny.

I'll wait as long as it takes. It's time for George to walk the walk, no more empty threats.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=458397734
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
everyking

Postmaster

Group: Regulars

Can someone sum this situation up for me? What has Malleus been up to lately?
+Quote Post
The Joy

I am a millipede! I am amazing!

Group: Members
Member No.: 982

QUOTE(everyking @ Tue 1st November 2011, 3:35pm) *

The usual, really:

Malleus and a guy get into an argument with both going at each other.

Other guy complains and Malleus is blocked. Other guy just gets a warning.

Malleus is unblocked. He and his supporters declare war on corrupt administrators.

Malleus's supporters, opponents, WP:CIVIL warriors, British language culture experts, drama queens, and hecklers come out swinging at each other like opposing European football teams out for blood.

Blocking administrator is castigated for blocking Malleus.

Unblocking administrator is castigated for not informing the blocking administrator.

Threats are made to take the whole thing to ArbCom.

Despite the vitriol and hyperbole, some calm is returning though tensions remain (much like the Middle East or the Balkans).

If history is any guide:

The status quo ante bellum will return (at least until the next major flare-up), or this will go to ArbCom.

Arbcom would rather be slowly digested in the Sarlacc Pit for over a thousand years than deal with this case and will do everything to stop the thing being thrown in their laps. After a long, painful, time-consuming trial, the ArbCom will admonish/caution/remind/WP:TROUT/whatever everyone involved, encourage everyone to engage in peace and love, and wash their hands of the matter (at least until the next major flare-up). If sanctions are enacted (via the ArbCom case, another case, amendment, clarification or motion), zealots on every side will argue over minutiae, bureaucratic details, the definition of WP:INVOLVED as well as WP:NPA and WP:CIVIL, among other things. Zealots will enforce the ruling to punish the opposing side and ignore/water down sanctions against their side. ArbCom will have to make several clarifications/amendments/motions to deal with the zealotry and misery involved. Eventually, this will go long enough that the community, ArbCom, and all sides decide to give it all up as no one can win or get "justice," so everything goes back to the status quo ante bellum (at least until the next major flare-up).

The deeper problems are never solved, resulting a Cold War-esque atmosphere that exists just beneath the surface before erupting like a super-volcano and restarting the whole dog-gone process all over again.

I think that summarizes everything. Right, Malleus?
+Quote Post
Malleus

Fat Cat

Member No.: 8,716

Seems a fair summary.
+Quote Post
radek

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(The Joy @ Tue 1st November 2011, 10:30pm) *

QUOTE(everyking @ Tue 1st November 2011, 3:35pm) *

The usual, really:

Malleus and a guy get into an argument with both going at each other.

Other guy complains and Malleus is blocked. Other guy just gets a warning.

Malleus is unblocked. He and his supporters declare war on corrupt administrators.

Malleus's supporters, opponents, WP:CIVIL warriors, British language culture experts, drama queens, and hecklers come out swinging at each other like opposing European football teams out for blood.

Blocking administrator is castigated for blocking Malleus.

Unblocking administrator is castigated for not informing the blocking administrator.

Threats are made to take the whole thing to ArbCom.

Despite the vitriol and hyperbole, some calm is returning though tensions remain (much like the Middle East or the Balkans).

If history is any guide:

The status quo ante bellum will return (at least until the next major flare-up), or this will go to ArbCom.

Arbcom would rather be slowly digested in the Sarlacc Pit for over a thousand years than deal with this case and will do everything to stop the thing being thrown in their laps. After a long, painful, time-consuming trial, the ArbCom will admonish/caution/remind/WP:TROUT/whatever everyone involved, encourage everyone to engage in peace and love, and wash their hands of the matter (at least until the next major flare-up). If sanctions are enacted (via the ArbCom case, another case, amendment, clarification or motion), zealots on every side will argue over minutiae, bureaucratic details, the definition of WP:INVOLVED as well as WP:NPA and WP:CIVIL, among other things. Zealots will enforce the ruling to punish the opposing side and ignore/water down sanctions against their side. ArbCom will have to make several clarifications/amendments/motions to deal with the zealotry and misery involved. Eventually, this will go long enough that the community, ArbCom, and all sides decide to give it all up as no one can win or get "justice," so everything goes back to the status quo ante bellum (at least until the next major flare-up).

The deeper problems are never solved, resulting a Cold War-esque atmosphere that exists just beneath the surface before erupting like a super-volcano and restarting the whole dog-gone process all over again.

I think that summarizes everything. Right, Malleus?

Can't say I fault ArbCom on this one.

But someone should give some of these people a kick in the ass. Sometimes just summoning up some chutzpah and reporting one of them to AE or wherever else - even if YOU KNOW nothing will happen - can shut them up for awhile and make them think twice next time.
+Quote Post
Tarc

Fat Cat

QUOTE(radek @ Wed 2nd November 2011, 12:12am) *
But someone should give some of these people a kick in the ass. Sometimes just summoning up some chutzpah and reporting one of them to AE or wherever else - even if YOU KNOW nothing will happen - can shut them up for awhile and make them think twice next time.

Conversely, a pile of reports that go nowhere tend to make the subjects fanclub look like a pack of whning ambulance-chasers. I got taken to Wikiquette Alerts, or assistance, whatever its feel-good name is this week, in successive weeks recently. Editors who were too hurt and bewildered because I told them that their positions sucked while not using comforting words to do so.

+Quote Post
The Joy

QUOTE(radek @ Wed 2nd November 2011, 12:12am) *

Can't say I fault ArbCom on this one.

Technically, ArbCom hasn't ruled on this... yet. Georgewilliamherbert (T-C-L-K-R-D) promises it will go to ArbCom but it seems he has pulled a brave Sir Robyn and made a swift retreat, leaving all in limbo.

Just replace "Malleus" with "Giano" or "Georgewilliamherbert" with "Chillum" and you realize that this pattern has continued for many, many years with no end in sight. The actors change, but the script stays the same.
+Quote Post
Malleus

Fat Cat

Member No.: 8,716

QUOTE(The Joy @ Wed 2nd November 2011, 6:31am) *

Just replace "Malleus" with "Giano" or "Georgewilliamherbert" with "Chillum" and you realize that this pattern has continued for many, many years with no end in sight. The actors change, but the script stays the same.

True.
+Quote Post
mbz1

QUOTE(The Joy @ Wed 2nd November 2011, 6:31am) *

Technically, ArbCom hasn't ruled on this... yet. Georgewilliamherbert (T-C-L-K-R-D) promises it will go to ArbCom but it seems he has pulled a brave Sir Robyn and made a swift retreat, leaving all in limbo.

I cannot understand why govcom's members seem to be accepting the case. What ruling could come out of this? Why to create an unnecessary drama?

Generally speaking I know only one administrator Durova who was forced to resign the tools after a single bad block. On the other hand there are few administrators who were desysoped and/or sanctioned because they unblocked an editor. No matter what even unwarranted unblock is much lesser abuse of the tools than unwarranted block. I know administrators who blocked editors after they were canvassed, who blocked editors while they were heavily involved, but they did not even get warned. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hrmph.gif)

Still, Malleus, you've never responded: are you addicted to Wikipedia? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

This post has been edited by mbz1:
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

If ArbCom wanted to try an experiment that would work: ban anyone who fights with Malleus and brings him up at ANI for one year. That will not only stop most of the drama but also help clear out the trash.
+Quote Post
Vigilant

QUOTE(Ottava @ Wed 2nd November 2011, 3:55pm) *

If ArbCom wanted to try an experiment that would work: ban anyone who fights with Malleus and brings him up at ANI for one year. That will not only stop most of the drama but also help clear out the trash.

Oh Jeffrey...

For a guy who is ostensibly working on a doctoral thesis, you have the most simple and uncomplicated mind I've ever seen.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

QUOTE(The Joy @ Wed 2nd November 2011, 2:31am) *

Oh, please, the actors work on completely different scripts because their personalities are so different. Malleus comes across like Stewart Granger in a 1950s MGM Technicolor adventure -- you half expect him with Ava Gardner in his left arm while he balances a gin and tonic with his right hand.

In comparison, Giano behaves like Mr. Bacciagalupe from the old Abbott and Costello TV show, while Chillum seems like a refugee from "Reefer Madness" and GWH is one of the OCD-type dweebs of "The Big Bang Theory."
+Quote Post
chrisoff

Come on. Malleus loves this stuff. Loves to be blocked. Loves the ruckus it kicks up. Loves his lackeys coming to his defence. Loves all the useless MYSPACE posting it produces. Loves the distraction from article writing. (This way he gets attention he never gets from just editing). Loves the praise from his FAC groupies.

There's never a day he isn't posting for 10, 12, 14 hours, either here or there. The guy obviously has no other life.

Loves the attention of whatever kind. Likes to kick people around, except the wiki "elite". The ones he's decided are the creme of the crop, definitely not admins because he'll never be one.

+Quote Post
chrisoff

QUOTE(Ottava @ Wed 2nd November 2011, 3:55pm) *

I think it's a good idea. It'll work. (Malleus may lose interest though. Where's the fun without the drama? Of course he could spend oodles of time reporting people and lining them up for a ban.)
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Wed 2nd November 2011, 10:26am) *

In comparison, Giano behaves like Mr. Bacciagalupe from the old Abbott and Costello TV show, while Chillum seems like a refugee from "Reefer Madness" and GWH is one of the OCD-type dweebs of "The Big Bang Theory."

My dear, most of them are like Big Bang Theory characters.

(And oh, by the way, Sheldon Cooper is now 78k bytes long with 110 references. He's their hero! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/yak.gif) )
+Quote Post
The Joy

ArbCom is actually going along with this? Ah, but it seems they are focusing on "If Admin A decides X instead of Y, and Admin B does Y, is Admin B undermining Admin A?" Although Risker brings it up, the issue of civility and personal attacks will be pushed aside.
+Quote Post
TungstenCarbide

Allegedly shot down by stray Ukrainian missile

QUOTE(The Joy @ Wed 2nd November 2011, 8:00pm) *

ArbCom is actually going along with this? Ah, but it seems they are focusing on "If Admin A decides X instead of Y, and Admin B does Y, is Admin B undermining Admin A?" Although Risker brings it up, the issue of civility and personal attacks will be pushed aside.

'civility' violations have long been a mechanism for silencing people. Only the rare exception, like Giano, can get away with honest discourse. In fact, WP:ANI has a professional baiter who's job is to troll the right people into a blockable reaction.
+Quote Post
jd turk

QUOTE(The Joy @ Tue 1st November 2011, 10:30pm) *

Malleus and a guy get into an argument with both going at each other....

That is beautifully put. And frightening accurate.

And no, Malleus won't quit. And why should he? He's the story's hero raging against corruption and ignorance. Or he's the grand villain, striking at the system wherever he finds weakness.

Either way, it's his story.
+Quote Post
melloden

QUOTE(chrisoff @ Wed 2nd November 2011, 5:49pm) *

Come on. Malleus loves this stuff. Loves to be blocked. Loves the ruckus it kicks up. Loves his lackeys coming to his defence. Loves all the useless MYSPACE posting it produces. Loves the distraction from article writing. (This way he gets attention he never gets from just editing). Loves the praise from his FAC groupies.

There's never a day he isn't posting for 10, 12, 14 hours, either here or there. The guy obviously has no other life.

Loves the attention of whatever kind. Likes to kick people around, except the wiki "elite". The ones he's decided are the creme of the crop, definitely not admins because he'll never be one.

Hey, chrisoff, weren't you like that, too?
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

QUOTE(TungstenCarbide @ Wed 2nd November 2011, 4:57pm) *

QUOTE(The Joy @ Wed 2nd November 2011, 8:00pm) *

'civility' violations have long been a mechanism for silencing people. Only the rare exception, like Giano, can get away with honest discourse. In fact, WP:ANI has a professional baiter who's job is to troll the right people into a blockable reaction.

Like all of the ANI regulars who obviously can't fit in society enough to get a date, he is a master baiter.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)