FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Has Wikipedia Created a Rorschach Cheat Sheet? - New York Times -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Has Wikipedia Created a Rorschach Cheat Sheet? - New York Times
Newsfeed

Postmaster General

Group: Bots

Has Wikipedia Created a Rorschach Cheat Sheet? New York Times
There are tests that have right answers, which are returned with a number on top in a red circle, and there are tests with open-ended ...
View the article
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
dtobias

Obsessive trolling idiot [per JzG]

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 962

Since those inkblots were published before 1923, they are definitely public domain in the United States. The pshrinks don't even have the sort of claim the NPG is making to a new copyright based on doing new work to make a photograph of an old picture. They're just trying to get everybody else to comply with their self-serving practices, using vague, ill-founded legal threats. The same bunch has already gotten American Mensa to stop giving specific IQ scores to those who take their tests, because that would be "practicing psychology without a license" and supposedly against various state laws. (The Mensa test is now just "pass/fail" where they only tell you if you're accepted or not.) Anything that knocks the psychologists down a few pegs is fine with me. (No, I'm not using Wikipedia as a revenge platform... nosirree.)
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

Group: Contributors
From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.
Member No.: 981

QUOTE(dtobias @ Wed 29th July 2009, 6:17am) *

Since those inkblots were published before 1923, they are definitely public domain in the United States. The pshrinks don't even have the sort of claim the NPG is making to a new copyright based on doing new work to make a photograph of an old picture. They're just trying to get everybody else to comply with their self-serving practices, using vague, ill-founded legal threats. The same bunch has already gotten American Mensa to stop giving specific IQ scores to those who take their tests, because that would be "practicing psychology without a license" and supposedly against various state laws. (The Mensa test is now just "pass/fail" where they only tell you if you're accepted or not.) Anything that knocks the psychologists down a few pegs is fine with me. (No, I'm not using Wikipedia as a revenge platform... nosirree.)

I didn't know Mensa didn't use full safeguards and rigors, including the use of licensed professionals administering the tests. It seems to me if you want to hold your members out as having a certain psychological attribute you would want to do so. Is it like fortune telling then? Does the Mensa wall plaque say "for entertainment purposes only?"
+Quote Post
dtobias

Obsessive trolling idiot [per JzG]

Member No.: 962

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Wed 29th July 2009, 9:55am) *

I didn't know Mensa didn't use full safeguards and rigors, including the use of licensed professionals administering the tests. It seems to me if you want to hold your members out as having a certain psychological attribute you would want to do so. Is it like fortune telling then? Does the Mensa wall plaque say "for entertainment purposes only?"

Mensa has a Supervisory Psychologist at the national and international levels to certify that proper test standards are used; he/she is licensed. However, the local administration of the tests is by volunteer proctors who have to undergo some minor training but aren't psychologists; that is why the psychologist profession insists Mensa not actually call the tests "IQ tests" or give a precise score from them.
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

Group: Contributors
From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.
Member No.: 981

QUOTE(dtobias @ Wed 29th July 2009, 10:58am) *

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Wed 29th July 2009, 9:55am) *

Mensa has a Supervisory Psychologist at the national and international levels to certify that proper test standards are used; he/she is licensed. However, the local administration of the tests is by volunteer proctors who have to undergo some minor training but aren't psychologists; that is why the psychologist profession insists Mensa not actually call the tests "IQ tests" or give a precise score from them.

So Mensa employees a psychologist who does not adhere to the standards of the profession for the purpose of administering the tests?
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Wed 29th July 2009, 12:20pm) *
So Mensa employees a psychologist who does not adhere to the standards of the profession for the purpose of administering the tests?

More importantly, does this mean my own IQ score of 457 is likely to be declared "invalid" merely because the test was administered by Squeebles, my pet hamster?

Squeebles won't be happy about that... not at all.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(Somey @ Wed 29th July 2009, 9:37pm) *

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Wed 29th July 2009, 12:20pm) *

More importantly, does this mean my own IQ score of 457 is likely to be declared "invalid" merely because the test was administered by Squeebles, my pet hamster?

Squeebles won't be happy about that... not at all.

The only proper IQ tests given by animals are administered by cats. Differentiate "I want out" meow from "I want a can of catfood" meow, and you pass. Barely.

(IMG:http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll191/Shrlocc/Catwalks.gif)
Hey, I'm walkin' here!
+Quote Post
Apathetic

Ãœber Member

Wikipedia:Requests_for_comment/Rorschach_test_images

Lulzworthy comments from the talk page from (an apparent raging psychotic ;>) iridescent:

*Who is going to write the [[WP:ALT|alt text]]? —mattisse 20:10, 9 August 2009 (UTC)

::Ooh, can I have a go? [[File:Rorschach blot 04.jpg|alt=Fat chick on a motorbike... no, wait, a sheepskin rug... oh, hang on, it's a butterfly... or is it a flasher with an improbably long manhood...]] – iridescent 20:17, 9 August 2009 (UTC)
+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

Why don't psychologists want the Rorschach images freely available on the web? Some possible explanations:

- Psychologists feel that their profession and credibility are under constant attack and want to control/protect their methods and image as much as possible.
- There are too many psychologists out there competing with each other for a scarce amount of work and prestige, therefore they don't want any of their tools taken away from them.
- They genuinely believe that the Rorshach test is an effective tool and are trying to protect its integrity.

Compare/contrast this with polygraph profession. When someone "reveals" the "secrets" behind polygraphs, such as here, professional polygraph examiners don't appear to appreciate it very much.
+Quote Post
CharlotteWebb

Postmaster General

Is there any reason not to merge this with the previous thread:
http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?showtopic=24972

(or vice versa, I don't see how it fits in "support group")
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Newsfeed   Has Wikipedia Created a Rorschach Cheat Sheet? - New York Times  
Apathetic   'Twas only a matter of time...  
Malleus   The Rorschach test was secretive crap anyway, so w...  
Jon Awbrey   Same Ol' Same Ol' — Wikipediots, h...  
Apathetic   Fox video wherein one anchorman gives a mock Rorsc...  
Apathetic   (or vice versa, I don't see how it fits in ...  
dtobias   I don't support anybody having a "right t...  
Jon Awbrey   I don't support anybody having a "right ...  
dtobias   I don't support anybody having a "right...  
Jon Awbrey   [quote name='Jon Awbrey' post='186255' date='Wed ...  
MBisanz   It would appear the comments are trending 33-1 in ...  
Kelly Martin   The Rorschach blots are routinely used for very qu...  
Jon Awbrey   The Rorschach blots are routinely used for very q...  
GlassBeadGame   The Rorschach blots are routinely used for very q...  
Kelly Martin   Currently, however, psychologists undergo accredit...  
GlassBeadGame   [quote name='GlassBeadGame' post='186267' date='W...  
Kelly Martin   I'm certain that you are aware that their are ...  
Jon Awbrey   Those safeguards are routinely circumvented in so...  
LaraLove   Those safeguards are routinely circumvented in s...  
GlassBeadGame   [quote name='Jon Awbrey' post='186276' date='Wed ...  
GlassBeadGame   [quote name='GlassBeadGame' post='186272' date='W...  
Jon Awbrey   The takeaway from this whole situation is that Wi...  
Malleus   And if a psychologist gets you declared mentally i...  
LaraLove   I just clicked through the ten plates. Results of ...  
zvook   I realized this had become very public when I read...  
dtobias   So far, it seems like in pretty much every one of ...  
GlassBeadGame   So far, it seems like in pretty much every one of...  
thekohser   Essjay. Seigenthaler. Doran. Marsden. Wikia ...  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)