FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Linda Mack wore a wire to a meeting -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Linda Mack wore a wire to a meeting, Not something a real journalist would do
Daniel Brandt

Postmaster

Group: Regulars

I asked Dr Jim Swire if he knew anything about Linda Mack. He replied today:
"I can confirm that the lady then calling herself Linda Mack was a Cambridge graduate and attempted to infiltrate an early meeting between our group (UK Families-Flight 103) and the American families in London. We had her thrown out when we discovered that she was 'wired' with a microphone under her coat."

Dr Swire further stated that David Ben-Aryeah, who worked with Allan Francovich on the Maltese Double-Cross film, assisted in the ejection of Linda Mack from the joint relatives meeting.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
WordBomb

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Daniel Brandt @ Thu 30th August 2007, 3:33pm) *

"I can confirm that the lady then calling herself Linda Mack was a Cambridge graduate and attempted to infiltrate an early meeting between our group (UK Families-Flight 103) and the American families in London. We had her thrown out when we discovered that she was 'wired' with a microphone under her coat."
Interesting, but in fairness:
  1. A true intelligence agent is not going to wear a clumsy coat microphone
  2. Secretly recording something ostensibly newsworthy is very much something a good investigative journalist might do (getting caught, on the other hand, is typically reserved for poor ones).
+Quote Post
Kato

dhd

QUOTE(Daniel Brandt @ Thu 30th August 2007, 8:33pm) *

Jim Swire is a really good guy. He's made a number of excellent appearances over the years, commentating on various global matters beyond Lockerbie. He's an impeccable source, and you did well to ask him for his thoughts, Daniel.
+Quote Post
Cedric

General Gato

Member No.: 1,116

QUOTE(WordBomb @ Thu 30th August 2007, 2:57pm) *

2. Secretly recording something ostensibly newsworthy is very much something a good investigative journalist might do (getting caught, on the other hand, is typically reserved for poor ones).

Exactly. More evidence that SlimLinda was likely not an agent, even though she may have been an "asset" (an informant, or a patsy). The piss-poor journalist theory also fits well with known facts.
+Quote Post
WordBomb

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Cedric @ Thu 30th August 2007, 4:13pm) *
Exactly. More evidence that SlimLinda was likely not an agent, even though she may have been an "asset" (an informant, or a patsy). The piss-poor journalist theory also fits well with known facts.
As I've tried to square the evidence in favor of SlimVirgin as "spy," and my intuition, which argues against it, I try to consider what I would have done in her spot. If she came to believe the official course of the PA103 investigation were erroneous, and at the same time felt a real investment in the outcome (as she would, having lost a friend) passing information to those she associated with "the government" would have seemed natural. That's why journalists should not cover stories they have a personal interest in...like a physician should not treat her own family members.

Glad it wasn't me.
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

Group: Members
Member No.: 130

QUOTE(Cedric @ Thu 30th August 2007, 1:13pm) *

QUOTE(WordBomb @ Thu 30th August 2007, 2:57pm) *

This is very interesting, and strongly supports the hypothesis that she is an agent wannabe. As I have mentioned on other occasions, I was struck by her work on the Wikipedia article Cambridge apostles, and I had the distinct impression that she was revealing a little hint of her fantasy life. A person who would pull a stunt like that wire-wearing business would go on Wikipedia and act like an agent without being one, because after all, isn't Wikipedia basically a big fantasy role-playing game? Unfortunately, what happens at Wikipedia, doesn't stay at Wikipedia.
+Quote Post
Kato

dhd

QUOTE(WordBomb @ Thu 30th August 2007, 10:25pm) *

QUOTE(Cedric @ Thu 30th August 2007, 4:13pm) *
As I've tried to square the evidence in favor of SlimVirgin as "spy," and my intuition, which argues against it, I try to consider what I would have done in her spot. If she came to believe the official course of the PA103 investigation were erroneous, and at the same time felt a real investment in the outcome (as she would, having lost a friend) passing information to those she associated with "the government" would have seemed natural. That's why journalists should not cover stories they have a personal interest in...like a physician should not treat her own family members.

Glad it wasn't me.

I'm not drawn to the "government agent" theory. I don't think Daniel is either, or many other people here on this board if given the raw facts. The general impression is that of someone who is an over-intelligent meddler, inexperienced jouro, and dinner party gobshite. These types are ten-a-penny, reliving the mysterious intellectual intensity of their younger days. And they're perfectly suited to getting drawn into WP. We should know for heaven's sake! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Kato

dhd

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Fri 31st August 2007, 12:04am) *

I was struck by her work on the Wikipedia article Cambridge apostles, and I had the distinct impression that she was revealing a little hint of her fantasy life. A person who would pull a stunt like that would go on Wikipedia and act like an agent without being one, because after all, isn't Wikipedia basically a big fantasy role-playing game? Unfortunately, what happens at Wikipedia, doesn't stay at Wikipedia.

Bullseye
+Quote Post
Daniel Brandt

Postmaster

I spoke with a journalist on the telephone for over an hour today. He worked with Allan Francovich on the Lockerbie film, and knew Salinger and Cooley. He firmly believes that Mack was an informant for MI5. Some of the anecdotes he related about Mack strongly suggest that she was psychologically unstable. He said that as far as he knows, Mack went to Washington after London and hung out with the CIA crowd there. He heard from a friend that she married someone from MI5. That's all he knows about the post-London Linda Mack — basically, she fell off the radar completely. He said that her middle name is Beverley (or Beverly), which contradicts with the middle initial "E" that was listed at King's College. (I just deleted that initial on hivemind because now I don't know which is right.)
+Quote Post
Jonny Cache

τα δε μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Group: Contributors

QUOTE(Daniel Brandt @ Thu 30th August 2007, 7:26pm) *

I spoke with a journalist on the telephone for over an hour today. He worked with Allan Francovich on the Lockerbie film, and knew Salinger and Cooley. He firmly believes that Mack was an informant for MI5. Some of the anecdotes he related about Mack strongly suggest she was psychologically unstable. He said that as far as he knows, Mack went to Washington after London and hung out with the CIA crowd there. He heard from a friend that she married someone from MI5. That's all he knows about the post-London Linda Mack — basically, she fell off the radar completely. He said that her middle name is Beverley (or Beverly), which contradicts with the middle initial "E" that was listed at King's College. (I just deleted that initial on hivemind because now I don't know which is right.)

We've all seen way too many movies where people get duped into doing all sorts of weird stuff — or "wired" stuff — by clever operatives. For my part, there are a couple decades worth of movies that I missed while living the buried life of under/grad school, so I've been immersed of late in caching up — the plot of The Recruit I saw last week was just like this.

So maybe this kinda stuff really happens, maybe not.

But I think that what most folks find implausible in the broad light of day is the notion that Lady Mac G4+WP in the present time frame — as opposed to Lady Mac I+MI5 in Auld Lang Syne — could still be doing what she does all day as a practicing agent/asset in good standing.

So what's the deil with her now ???

Jonny (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/cool.gif)

This post has been edited by Jonny Cache:
+Quote Post
Kato

dhd

QUOTE(Daniel Brandt @ Fri 31st August 2007, 12:26am) *

I spoke with a journalist on the telephone for over an hour today. He worked with Allan Francovich on the Lockerbie film, and knew Salinger and Cooley. He firmly believes that Mack was an informant for MI5. Some of the anecdotes he related about Mack strongly suggest that she was psychologically unstable. He said that as far as he knows, Mack went to Washington after London and hung out with the CIA crowd there. He heard from a friend that she married someone from MI5. That's all he knows about the post-London Linda Mack — basically, she fell off the radar completely. He said that her middle name is Beverley (or Beverly), which contradicts with the middle initial "E" that was listed at King's College. (I just deleted that initial on hivemind because now I don't know which is right.)

Hmmm. "Psychologically unstable" probably. "Hung out with the CIA crowd" seems rather vague. We would wonder how this journalist knew Linda's second name, and then remember it years later? It isn't the kind of thing that sticks.
+Quote Post
everyking

Postmaster

I'd be curious how they discovered she was wearing a wire. Did she already have a reputation, and they were suspicious of her for that? It seems like a very dramatic situation, to accuse someone of wearing a wire and then actually find the wire hidden on them. I think it would take a very bad reputation to lead to something like that.
+Quote Post
jdrand

And Ye Shall Know Us by the Trail of Cheez-Whiz

Group: You Don't Want to Know

Very strange. I agree with Herchelkrustofsky and Daniel Brandt here, because she is an informant trying to be an agent. Maybe she is getting "schooled" to be an MI5 agent. Mr. Brandt and WordBomb are usually right, and I praise you for this. SV case is really suspicious. What if WP was originally a plan just to insert disinformation in the public.

Is "wearing wire" a euphemism for something? I am only 11, and I would like clarification, because it seems very unlikely that this expression is literal.

This post has been edited by jdrand:
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

I dunno... It's times like these when I think we're just being too hard on Slimmy. I mean, if she was doing such a lousy job as an investigative journalist, is it really any wonder that she'd end up working on an anonymous internet encyclopedia for free? More's the pity I say, as she probably would have done quite well working for, say, an insurance company or maybe one of those large resort hotels in the Bahamas.

Besides, we haven't completely exhausted other possible explanations for this "wire" thing, have we? Maybe she had tickets for a Rush concert later that night, and she wanted to use the hidden mics to make a totally kick-ass bootleg tape of the show?
+Quote Post
guy

Postmaster General

Group: Inactive
Member No.: 23

QUOTE(jdrand @ Fri 31st August 2007, 6:23am) *

Is "wearing wire" a euphemism for something? I am only 11

It's quite a common expression, and scarcely an old one unfamiliar to the present generation.
http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,...1146700,00.html
+Quote Post
jdrand

And Ye Shall Know Us by the Trail of Cheez-Whiz

Group: You Don't Want to Know

QUOTE(guy @ Thu 30th August 2007, 11:38pm) *

QUOTE(jdrand @ Fri 31st August 2007, 6:23am) *

Is "wearing wire" a euphemism for something? I am only 11

It's quite a common expression, and scarcely an old one unfamiliar to the present generation.
http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,...1146700,00.html

So what does it mean? And are you JzG from Wikipedia (Sorry if this offends you, just asking because of the name)?
+Quote Post
guy

Postmaster General

Group: Inactive
Member No.: 23

QUOTE(jdrand @ Fri 31st August 2007, 7:46am) *

So what does it mean? And are you JzG from Wikipedia (Sorry if this offends you, just asking because of the name)?

OK - it means wearing a concealed microphone connected by a wire to a concealed recorder. OK?

No. Nor am I Guy of Gisborne or Guy Fawkes.
+Quote Post
Jonny Cache

QUOTE(jdrand @ Fri 31st August 2007, 1:23am) *

Very strange. I agree with Herchelkrustofsky and Daniel Brandt here, because she is an informant trying to be an agent. Maybe she is getting "schooled" to be an MI5 agent. Mr. Brandt and WordBomb are usually right, and I praise you for this. SV case is really suspicious. What if WP was originally a plan just to insert disinformation in the public.

Is "wearing wire" a euphemism for something? I am only 11, and I would like clarification, because it seems very unlikely that this expression is literal.

Look, I really liked Alias when it first came out, before they Usual Hack Jobbers turned it into Yet Another Nightime Soap Opera — but that was All So A Couple O' Seasons Ago — and my Theory Of The Week is that SlimVirgin might be just like that earnest-but-clueless Colin Farrell in The Recruit. Maybe some eminently mystiquifying Al Pacinoid character recruited her to Spy Skool and then duped her eminently unwitting self into being a double agent when she phlunked out of Said Spy Skool for being so Eminently Emo — and all the while she thought she was still a loyal patriodick single agent. Hey, it could happen.

And maybe she's like Matt Damon in the Bourne Ediot — maybe she's got amnesia and doesn't even know that her bourne name used to be Linda Mack. It could happen.

Jonny Cache, Honorary Knight of the Tin Hat and Tilter of Wikimills Everywhere, would never deny the possibility of any of that.

I'm just saying — in all the movies, they always at least try to bring the rouge agent in from the cold waaaaay b4 things get as comic as they currently are on Wikipedia.

Unless it's like a Mackswell Smart movie …

Disinformation Agent? Without a doubt. But if you're gonna be a Disinformation Agent, you might as haul in the Big Bucks in Big Buckets working for some High Class Low Profile PR firm on Madison Ave.

So personally I think that Wikipedia is something like a Sociological Experiment. I'd look more in the direction of Harvard or someplace like that than MK-Ultra, as universities have in the past very often exhibited a far more "flexible" ethics than most other institutions. No doubt the Informed Consent Slip is tucked away in some bit of fine print hyperlinked off the Main Page — Ten Things You Didn't Know You Were Agreeing To When You First Clicked That <Save> Button, or some bit like that.

If you ask me, Wikipedia is an experiment that asks the question:

Just How Dumb Can People Be ?

I assure you, someplace someone is learning a lot from this experiment.

Maybe it's Ail-yuns …

This post has been edited by Jonny Cache:
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

Group: Members
Member No.: 130

QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Fri 31st August 2007, 6:45am) *

So personally I think that Wikipedia is something like a Sociological Experiment. I'd look more in the direction of Harvard or someplace like that than MK-Ultra, as universities have in the past very often exhibited a far more "flexible" ethics than most other institutions.

Have you considered the possibility that the internet generally is the new MK-Ultra? The late Tim Leary seemed to think so, and he was, as they say... experienced.

Plus, I understand that Rupert Murdoch now owns MySpace.
+Quote Post
Jonny Cache

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Fri 31st August 2007, 10:19am) *

QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Fri 31st August 2007, 6:45am) *

So personally I think that Wikipedia is something like a Sociological Experiment. I'd look more in the direction of Harvard or someplace like that than MK-Ultra, as universities have in the past very often exhibited a far more "flexible" ethics than most other institutions.

Have you considered the possibility that the internet generally is the new MK-Ultra? The late Tim Leary seemed to think so, and he was, as they say— experienced.

Plus, I understand that Rupert Murdoch now owns MySpace.

Well of course I've considered it. Wouldn't be a Boney Fried Conspiracy Theorist if I hadn't thought o' that.

King Leary was a scarey awesome dude. Came to our campus to lecture one time, and I swear there was this funny fuzzy fuchsia aura that descended over the town. I was too sacred to go near the auditorium — it got so intense the nearer you went. And I was only drinking Strohs. But Strohs has abandoned us for sunny Minnesota or Wisconsin now. Don't really drink the Fire Brew anymore.

¤ sigh ¤

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)