FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Bomis -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Bomis
Peter Damian

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

Group: Regulars

I'm struggling to find any information on this one. Did Jimmy set it up in 1996, 1998, or 2000? Where did he get the money to set it up? Why were the servers in a shack in Tampa, Florida, when the main office was in San Diego? When did Jimmy move to San Diego?

Wikipedia, as always when it comes to such matters, is reticent.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Mon 3rd October 2011, 1:27pm) *

I'm struggling to find any information on this one. Did Jimmy set it up in 1996, 1998, or 2000? Where did he get the money to set it up? Why were the servers in a shack in Tampa, Florida, when the main office was in San Diego? When did Jimmy move to San Diego?

Wikipedia, as always when it comes to such matters, is reticent.

All web sources point to Bomis as dating from 1996. Interestingly, name rhymes with "promise." I'd been saying it wrong all this time.
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Mon 3rd October 2011, 1:44pm) *
Interestingly, name rhymes with "promise." I'd been saying it wrong all this time.

People sometimes called it "Bone Us", fyi...... (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)

You are welcome to pronounce it any way you wish. If it were not the incubator of Wikipedia, knowledge of it would have disappeared long ago and left no trace, like an absurdly long list of other dotcom failures.

Oh, btw, here's the only existing photo of Bomis staff. Circa 2000.
(IMG:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a3/Bomis-staff-summer-2000.jpg)

This post has been edited by EricBarbour:
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Mon 3rd October 2011, 2:29pm) *

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Mon 3rd October 2011, 1:44pm) *
Interestingly, name rhymes with "promise." I'd been saying it wrong all this time.

People sometimes called it "Bone Us", fyi...... (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)

You are welcome to pronounce it any way you wish. If it were not the incubator of Wikipedia, knowledge of it would have disappeared long ago and left no trace, like an absurdly long list of other dotcom failures.

Oh, btw, here's the only existing photo of Bomis staff. Circa 2000.
(IMG:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a3/Bomis-staff-summer-2000.jpg)

So is that Larry Sanger, seated at right? Doh, I see that it is. All these people are identified: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bom...summer-2000.jpg

And that's Jimbo third from the left, with arm around then-wife Christine, who is pregnant.

Jimbo and Larry seem to have been separated-at-birth, in this photo. Interesting! Despite Jimbo's even longer beard in 2000, Jimbo and Larry looked far more alike THEN, than they do now. The identical round glasses help. I guess we tend to hire images of ourselves, eh?
+Quote Post
Larry Sanger

Group: Contributors

I'm pretty sure I have a copy of this picture in the basement, and another one too, which has Ed O'Connor in it (one of my favorite people from Bomis days). Oh, believe me, if people really, really wanted to, they could amass a really interesting collection of early Wikipedia-related memorabilia.
+Quote Post
Peter Damian

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

QUOTE(Larry Sanger @ Tue 4th October 2011, 7:27pm) *

I'm pretty sure I have a copy of this picture in the basement, and another one too, which has Ed O'Connor in it (one of my favorite people from Bomis days). Oh, believe me, if people really, really wanted to, they could amass a really interesting collection of early Wikipedia-related memorabilia.

Larry - just the person. I am researching the pre-history of Wikipedia. I know Bomis was registered in 1996, but when did it actually set up in business in San Diego? Jimmy did not move there until 1998. Did it actually start in 1998?

You say here http://www.larrysanger.org/roleinwp.html

It was Bomis that paid the bills for Wikipedia (including my paycheck), and Wales, Tim Shell, and Michael Davis were, to the best of my knowledge, equal partners and co-owners of Bomis, Inc.

But Jimmy always claimed he was the majority partner. And what was Tim Shell's involvement? He always seemed a mysterious character.

Regards,

Edward

This post has been edited by Peter Damian:
+Quote Post
Larry Sanger

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Tue 4th October 2011, 2:48pm) *

QUOTE(Larry Sanger @ Tue 4th October 2011, 7:27pm) *

Larry - just the person. I am researching the pre-history of Wikipedia. I know Bomis was registered in 1996, but when did it actually set up in business in San Diego? Jimmy did not move there until 1998. Did it actually start in 1998?

You say here http://www.larrysanger.org/roleinwp.html

It was Bomis that paid the bills for Wikipedia (including my paycheck), and Wales, Tim Shell, and Michael Davis were, to the best of my knowledge, equal partners and co-owners of Bomis, Inc.

But Jimmy always claimed he was the majority partner. And what was Tim Shell's involvement? He always seemed a mysterious character.

Regards,

Edward

I'll be interested in your book!

I know Bomis.com, the search engine, was around in 1996 or 1997. I remember Jimmy Wales referring to it somehow; he might have tried to get me involved, or maybe it was just in his sig and I checked it out. I vaguely remember talking about it around 1997. My recollection, I don't know where--probably from talking to Tim--was that it was started and going strong-ish while they were in Chicago. I don't know when they moved to San Diego--1998 is possible as far as I know. They had been in the Pacific Beach office for a while by the time I got there in late January 2000, I think it was.

I honestly can't remember how it was represented to me--who was the "majority partner." I'm pretty sure I never much cared, and I'm not sure why I should now. If you had asked me an hour ago, I would have hazarded a guess that they were all three equal partners, just as I wrote, but I don't know. It wouldn't surprise me if Michael Davis was majority partner. But if Wales says that he was majority partner, then he probably was, and I forgot that he said so when I wrote the above. Yes, yes, I know he's not a reliable source on stuff like this, but his mendacity does not usually extend to outright plain-and-simple lies like that. He usually employs misdirection, vagueness, innuendo, and other such shifty business.

Tim is for me by far the least mysterious character of the three. I count him a friend. Unlike Jimmy, who was aloof from most Bomis folks, we socialized. He's very witty, and I've never caught him in a lie. I could be wrong, but I got the impression that he was Bomis' original programmer. When I was there he was sort of the managing editor of Bomis. I think he managed the guys who weeded through Bomis' links to fix dead ones, and seemed to be keeping it going. What Jimmy Wales was doing, exactly, I am not sure.

I don't know why he kept Michael Davis' name secret. I remember being a little puzzled about that.

In the earliest months, Tim was at least as involved in Wikipedia as Jimmy Wales.

I'm pretty sure you could ask Tim for an interview. Another, possibly better person to interview would be the Bomis marketing guy, Jimmy's (ex) friend and "right hand man," Terry Foote. I also count him a friend. He's got some verrry interesting stories to tell, but I'll let him tell them when he's ready.
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.
Member No.: 981

QUOTE(Larry Sanger @ Wed 5th October 2011, 9:16pm) *

I know Bomis.com, the search engine, was around in 1996 or 1997.

Just what exactly was Bomis supposed to search for?
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Peter Damian   Bomis  
Milton Roe   I'm pretty sure I have a copy of this picture...  
Milton Roe   I know Bomis.com, the search engine, was around...  
The Joy   [quote name='GlassBeadGame' post='285792' date='W...  
GlassBeadGame   [quote name='GlassBeadGame' post='285792' date='...  
EricBarbour   Wikipedia, as always when it comes to such matters...  
Milton Roe   [quote name='Peter Damian' post='285597' date='Mo...  
thekohser   Even Selina, the operator of WR, edited it. (And ...  
EricBarbour   With an edit like that, it makes me think Selina ...  
Kelly Martin   I am fairly certain that Wales was not an "eq...  
Peter Damian   I am fairly certain that Wales was not an "e...  
Kelly Martin   Unfortunately, you can't rely on anything that...  
Peter Damian   Sadly, we'll probably never know. Bomis was,...  
SB_Johnny   Sadly, we'll probably never know. Bomis was,...  
Detective   US states are in some respects more similar to EU...  
Malik Shabazz   The kind that whupped the King who thought taxat...  
SB_Johnny   [quote name='Detective' post='285756' date='Wed 5...  
Milton Roe   [quote name='Detective' post='285756' date='Wed ...  
thekohser   What kind of country are you Americans running? ...  
EricBarbour   Bomis was not a "search engine" per se, ...  
tarantino   Also, they've managed to convince archive.org...  
EricBarbour   There's no convincing necessary. If a domain ...  
Larry Sanger   Bomis was not a "search engine" per se,...  
Peter Damian   After I left, Wikipedia replicated the same sort ...  
Kelly Martin   Slashdot is something I also need to understand.Go...  
Peter Damian   On a separate but related note I am trying to sear...  
Peter Damian   On a separate but related note I am trying to sea...  
Larry Sanger   [quote name='Peter Damian' post='285827' date='Th...  
Peter Damian   Can someone translate the above posts (ODP - what ...  
EricBarbour   Can someone translate the above posts (ODP - what...  
SB_Johnny   What exactly is a 'web ring' for? What d...  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)