FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Bomis -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Bomis
Peter Damian

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

Group: Regulars

I'm struggling to find any information on this one. Did Jimmy set it up in 1996, 1998, or 2000? Where did he get the money to set it up? Why were the servers in a shack in Tampa, Florida, when the main office was in San Diego? When did Jimmy move to San Diego?

Wikipedia, as always when it comes to such matters, is reticent.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
EricBarbour

blah

Bomis was not a "search engine" per se, though it did have a search box. It was more like a webring system, or a Yahoo-style website directory.
As was remarked in the past, Bomis started out as a general-interest portal, mostly because Wales and Shell couldn't decide what to feature or cover.
But by 1997, they'd figured out the one thing the web was missing at the time: a way to find "babe pics". Of course, they blew it by not
rushing into that area quickly and developing content. Instead they were lazy--allowing others to post links to content, webring-style.
By 1998, more sleazy and ruthless people than them were putting up adult-material websites, usually requiring payment for access.
Bomis made some money from ads and affiliate links, but they apparently chose to sit around and wait for money to fall on them.
Because they didn't pursue marketing deals with the content producers aggressively, they didn't get very far. Just another also-ran of Web 1.0.

PS: Tim Shell still owns the bomis.com domain---until November 2012. I wonder if it has any kind of commercial value. Doubtful.
Also, they've managed to convince archive.org to eliminate all the old snapshots of bomis.com, going back to 1996.
Yes, they were there, only a couple of months ago. You see? The Net makes it easy to "rewrite history" and make the past disappear.

The only thing that makes Bomis stand out in my memory were the snotty wisecracks
at the top of every page, that changed automatically when refreshed.

This post has been edited by EricBarbour:
+Quote Post
Larry Sanger

Group: Contributors

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Thu 6th October 2011, 12:33am) *

Bomis was not a "search engine" per se, though it did have a search box. It was more like a webring system, or a Yahoo-style website directory.
As was remarked in the past, Bomis started out as a general-interest portal, mostly because Wales and Shell couldn't decide what to feature or cover.
But by 1997, they'd figured out the one thing the web was missing at the time: a way to find "babe pics". Of course, they blew it by not
rushing into that area quickly and developing content. Instead they were lazy--allowing others to post links to content, webring-style.
By 1998, more sleazy and ruthless people than them were putting up adult-material websites, usually requiring payment for access.
Bomis made some money from ads and affiliate links, but they apparently chose to sit around and wait for money to fall on them.
Because they didn't pursue marketing deals with the content producers aggressively, they didn't get very far. Just another also-ran of Web 1.0.

PS: Tim Shell still owns the bomis.com domain---until November 2012. I wonder if it has any kind of commercial value. Doubtful.
Also, they've managed to convince archive.org to eliminate all the old snapshots of bomis.com, going back to 1996.
Yes, they were there, only a couple of months ago. You see? The Net makes it easy to "rewrite history" and make the past disappear.

The only thing that makes Bomis stand out in my memory were the snotty wisecracks
at the top of every page, that changed automatically when refreshed.

That's about the size of it. I could have said "web ring repository" but then I'd have
had to explain what I meant...

Tim was responsible for the list of "Bomis slogans." I think he had over 1,000 of them. He invited some people to contribute slogans and I added a few dozen myself, just out of fun.

In 1999 or so, Bomis imported the content of ODP en masse, making ODP categories into web rings. When I started working on Nupedia, I was told to look at ODP as an example of how open source principles could be applied to content. I remember being very impressed by the fact that many people, at the time, were bitching and complaining about the massive ODP bureaucracy. I myself became an ODP editor of a few categories, just to learn more about how it worked. This is one of the reasons we began with "ignore all rules" and why I repeatedly told people not to become insular and to avoid ranking people by seniority. Of course, my early warnings were ignored, and the spirit of "ignore all rules" was twisted all out of recognition, as if by a cargo cult. After I left, Wikipedia replicated the same sort of pretentious bureaucratic and rule-heavy nonsense of ODP.

This is probably human nature, of course. It would have taken a far greater person than I was (and a rather freer hand than Wales gave me) to convert the raw humanity of Wikipedia (lots and lots of Slashdotters) into an open, constitutionally-minded, more or less reasonable "democratic" sort of polity.
+Quote Post
Peter Damian

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

QUOTE(Larry Sanger @ Thu 6th October 2011, 7:41pm) *

After I left, Wikipedia replicated the same sort of pretentious bureaucratic and rule-heavy nonsense of ODP.

See the post I started here: http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?s=&sh...ndpost&p=285869

This is probably human nature, of course.

Back to the Fall of Adam.

It would have taken a far greater person than I was (and a rather freer hand than Wales gave me) to convert the raw humanity of Wikipedia (lots and lots of Slashdotters) into an open, constitutionally-minded, more or less reasonable "democratic" sort of polity.

Slashdot is something I also need to understand.
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Member No.: 6,696

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Thu 6th October 2011, 1:58pm) *
Slashdot is something I also need to understand.
Good luck with that.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Peter Damian   Bomis  
Milton Roe   I'm struggling to find any information on thi...  
EricBarbour   Interestingly, name rhymes with "promise....  
Milton Roe   [quote name='Milton Roe' post='285599' date='Mon ...  
Larry Sanger   I'm pretty sure I have a copy of this picture ...  
Milton Roe   I'm pretty sure I have a copy of this picture...  
Peter Damian   I'm pretty sure I have a copy of this picture...  
Larry Sanger   [quote name='Larry Sanger' post='285640' date='Tu...  
GlassBeadGame   I know Bomis.com, the search engine, was around ...  
Milton Roe   I know Bomis.com, the search engine, was around...  
The Joy   [quote name='GlassBeadGame' post='285792' date='W...  
GlassBeadGame   [quote name='GlassBeadGame' post='285792' date='...  
EricBarbour   Wikipedia, as always when it comes to such matters...  
Milton Roe   [quote name='Peter Damian' post='285597' date='Mo...  
thekohser   Even Selina, the operator of WR, edited it. (And ...  
EricBarbour   With an edit like that, it makes me think Selina ...  
Kelly Martin   I am fairly certain that Wales was not an "eq...  
Peter Damian   I am fairly certain that Wales was not an "e...  
Kelly Martin   Unfortunately, you can't rely on anything that...  
Peter Damian   Sadly, we'll probably never know. Bomis was,...  
SB_Johnny   Sadly, we'll probably never know. Bomis was,...  
Detective   US states are in some respects more similar to EU...  
Malik Shabazz   The kind that whupped the King who thought taxat...  
SB_Johnny   [quote name='Detective' post='285756' date='Wed 5...  
Milton Roe   [quote name='Detective' post='285756' date='Wed ...  
thekohser   What kind of country are you Americans running? ...  
tarantino   Also, they've managed to convince archive.org...  
EricBarbour   There's no convincing necessary. If a domain ...  
Peter Damian   On a separate but related note I am trying to sear...  
Peter Damian   On a separate but related note I am trying to sea...  
Larry Sanger   [quote name='Peter Damian' post='285827' date='Th...  
Peter Damian   Can someone translate the above posts (ODP - what ...  
EricBarbour   Can someone translate the above posts (ODP - what...  
SB_Johnny   What exactly is a 'web ring' for? What d...  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)