FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Durova for OTRS -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Durova for OTRS, contentious issues ARE her specialty!
thekohser

Group: Regulars

QUOTE(Poetlister @ Sat 21st June 2008, 9:20am) *

Durova is applying to be an OTRS volunteer.

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/OTRS/volunteering#Durova

That will be fun; everybody who writes to OTRS can now be identified as a sockpuppet of either Jon Awbrey or me.

I had to add a Strong Oppose, as a trusted Meta Wikimedian. There truly is no end to Durova's desire to worm her way into everyone else's business, is there?

Greg
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Disillusioned Lackey

Unregistered

QUOTE(thekohser @ Sat 21st June 2008, 9:43am) *

I had to add a Strong Oppose, as a trusted Meta Wikimedian. There truly is no end to Durova's desire to worm her way into everyone else's business, is there?

Greg
It fits the profile.

This post has been edited by Disillusioned Lackey:
+Quote Post
guy

Postmaster General

Group: Inactive
Member No.: 23

Hotting up. JoshuaZ is saying that Greg should be ignored because he's banned on WP, but Cato from WQ is defending him.

Meanwhile, Moulton has also applied. However, he says he can only reply in "American academic English", so that won't be very useful. Even British academics won't be able to understand him.

+Quote Post
Janron

Group: Contributors

QUOTE(thekohser @ Sat 21st June 2008, 10:43am) *

Durova is applying to be an OTRS volunteer.

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/OTRS/volunteering#Durova

That will be fun; everybody who writes to OTRS can now be identified as a sockpuppet of either Jon Awbrey or me.

Greg

Oh my. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ohmy.gif) If she's elected, then it proves - to me at least - that the lunatics are truly running the wiki-asylum. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Giggy

Ãœber Member

Member No.: 5,552

QUOTE(thekohser @ Sun 22nd June 2008, 12:43am) *

...as a trusted Meta Wikimedian...

This line made me giggle.

QUOTE(guy @ Sun 22nd June 2008, 9:51am) *

Meanwhile, Moulton has also applied. However, he says he can only reply in "American academic English", so that won't be very useful. Even British academics won't be able to understand him.

Always asking the hard hitting questions;
QUOTE(Me)
How do you plan on making OTRS related edits whilst banned? giggy ((IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ohmy.gif)) 02:13, 22 June 2008 (UTC)
+Quote Post
Disillusioned Lackey

Unregistered

Come to think of it, this is the best way for Wikipedia to generate bad press... (hmmmm)

DUROVA FOR OTRS

Cups, mugs, and outerwear on sale at Cafepress.com
+Quote Post
thekohser

I have modified my "Strong oppose" to just "Oppose". If there is some way to restrict her only to the copyright and copyleft disputes on OTRS, I think that would be nice busy-work for her -- keeping her out of our hair. But that's the only way I'd support her even having access to OTRS tickets, is if only those related to licensing and fair use are directed her way.

Meanwhile, I am really jazzing up my contributions to Commons. Not bad, eh?

Greg
+Quote Post
Disillusioned Lackey

Unregistered

QUOTE(thekohser @ Sat 21st June 2008, 11:13pm) *

I have modified my "Strong oppose" to just "Oppose". If there is some way to restrict her only to the copyright and copyleft disputes on OTRS, I think that would be nice busy-work for her -- keeping her out of our hair. But that's the only way I'd support her even having access to OTRS tickets, is if only those related to licensing and fair use are directed her way.

Greg

I think her recent speech to that kid about how he was a sock (when he cheerfully told her he wasn't) is evidence that this is a bad area for her.

Put her in the image copyright section. She doesn't understand that the Bern Treaty addresses well over 100 country government signatories, so she will be stuck translating treaties for ages. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

This is part of my Durova position of: Give her a special project in a nice office with no phone.

+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Member No.: 3,670

QUOTE(Giggy @ Sat 21st June 2008, 10:15pm) *
QUOTE(Me)
How do you plan on making OTRS related edits whilst banned? giggy ((IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ohmy.gif)) 02:13, 22 June 2008 (UTC)

You only lobbed me a softball, Giggy.

Read my response and pitch me a more challenging one.
+Quote Post
Giggy

Ãœber Member

Member No.: 5,552

QUOTE(Moulton @ Sun 22nd June 2008, 3:43pm) *

QUOTE(Me)

Done. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

Update: Not that it matters (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)

This post has been edited by Giggy:
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Member No.: 3,670

QUOTE(Giggy @ Sun 22nd June 2008, 1:49am) *
QUOTE(Moulton @ Sun 22nd June 2008, 3:43pm) *
QUOTE(Me)

Done. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

Update: Not that it matters (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)

Why would it not matter?

Don't readers and participants deserve answers to their questions submitted to OTRS?
+Quote Post
One

Postmaster General

QUOTE(Iamlost @ Sun 22nd June 2008, 12:03am) *

Oh my. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ohmy.gif) If she's elected, then it proves - to me at least - that the lunatics are truly running the wiki-asylum. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/sad.gif)

I don't think it's an election; those comments are just that. Users are given access or not based on an off-wiki process of some sort. She's been removed, but it's still unclear whether or not she made it. They don't make announcements either way.

You have to dig through the page history to figure out who has been rejected (by comparing the public OTRS list--which may not be up-to-date), but the rejectees fall into two categories (1) mind-numbingly incompetent, and (2) outside the ruling cliques. Durova falls into neither category. I bet even money that she makes it, and talking about it here only increases her odds.
+Quote Post
Disillusioned Lackey

Unregistered

QUOTE(One @ Sun 22nd June 2008, 3:04am) *

You have to dig through the page history to figure out who has been rejected (by comparing the public OTRS list--which may not be up-to-date), but the rejectees fall into two categories (1) mind-numbingly incompetent, and (2) outside the ruling cliques. Durova falls into neither category. I bet even money that she makes it, and talking about it here only increases her odds.

It's one of those situations where you know she shouldn't win, but if she does, the playout will be a self-punishing measure. She's just going to garner more bad press for them, and now acress the Wikisphere.
+Quote Post
cyofee

Good job WR for sabotaging Durova's bid for OTRS.
+Quote Post
Proabivouac

Bane of all wikiland

QUOTE(cyofee @ Sun 22nd June 2008, 8:54am) *

I don't agree with this endless stream of derision against Durova. I suppose I'd be obliged to change my mind if recently-aired suspicions prove accurate; however they are at this point only suspicions.

What leaps out at me is that Durova gets herself into trouble when she deals with real-name contributors, speaks to the press and/or continues the conflict off-wiki. Many of the people dogging her, such as Mr. Kohs, were operating under their real names, and many of the incidents we recount involved statements to the press.

Hence, I strongly advise Durova to decline responsibilities to either discipline or mentor real-name contributors, and to think three times before speaking negatively about a real-name contributor, whatever their wiki-status, to the press. OTRS access is probably antithetical to these goals, insofar as it will inevitably tend to draw her into real-world disputes.

This post has been edited by Proabivouac:
+Quote Post
Lar

"His blandness goes to 11!"

Member No.: 4,290

QUOTE(thekohser @ Sun 22nd June 2008, 12:13am) *

Greg

Your gallery shows some VERY pretty pictures... you definitely should contribute more if you can take more that are as good as those... I am much more of a hack, as can be seen in my gallery but I try to make up for that with quantity (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

By the way, OTRS is not an election, per se... it's more of a request for comment. The final decisions are, I think, made by Cary in his capacity as volunteer coordinator.

QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Sun 22nd June 2008, 7:05am) *

I don't agree with this endless stream of derision against Durova. I suppose I'd be obliged to change my mind if recently-aired suspicions prove accurate; however they are at this point only suspicions.

What leaps out at me is that Durova gets herself into trouble when she deals with real-name contributors, speaks to the press and/or continues the conflict off-wiki. Many of the people dogging her, such as Mr. Kohs, were operating under their real names, and many of the incidents we recount involved statements to the press.

Hence, I strongly advise Durova to decline responsibilities to either discipline or mentor real-name contributors, and to think three times before speaking negatively about a real-name contributor, whatever their wiki-status, to the press. OTRS access is probably antithetical to these goals, insofar as it will inevitably tend to draw her into real-world disputes.

I don't agree with "this endless stream of derision" either... we are none of us perfect, but this does seem a bit spiteful to me. I think you give some good advice to Durova about where her strengths and weaknesses lie.

This post has been edited by Lar:
+Quote Post
Viridae

Fat Cat

QUOTE(Lar @ Sun 22nd June 2008, 10:09pm) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Sun 22nd June 2008, 12:13am) *

Greg

Your gallery shows some VERY pretty pictures... you definitely should contribute more if you can take more that are as good as those... I am much more of a hack, as can be seen in my gallery but I try to make up for that with quantity (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

By the way, OTRS is not an election, per se... it's more of a request for comment. The final decisions are, I think, made by Cary in his capacity as volunteer coordinator.

QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Sun 22nd June 2008, 7:05am) *

I don't agree with "this endless stream of derision" either... we are none of us perfect, but this does seem a bit spiteful to me. I think you give some good advice to Durova about where her strengths and weaknesses lie.

Neat tool that gallery thingo.
+Quote Post
Disillusioned Lackey

Unregistered

QUOTE(cyofee @ Sun 22nd June 2008, 8:54am) *

We aim to please.
QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Sun 22nd June 2008, 6:05am) *

Kohs didn't start 'dogging' her. She did her usual "one-two-jump in an argument-three-four" and conflate it out of all human proportion. Kohs and Wales were finally making nice. Durova had jumped in previously, and alleged (as she will do) that he did something awful in an email (in this case she claimed he made false allegations via email to an AP reporter - she does this kind of thing all the time). Wales reinstated Kohs. Kohs asked her to apologize, as any normal person would do, if they were her, and she asked one of her cronies (JzG) to re-ban Kohs for impudence.

Considering JzG hates Kohs, for no other reason that he tried to make a small profit from contributing, this was pro forma.

Simple stuff.
QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Sun 22nd June 2008, 6:05am) *

NOT going to happen. She's sure she's fabulous and the world just doesn't see her for what she is. Therefore there's no need to apologize, nor self-examine. Lather, rinse, repeat.

+Quote Post
Dzonatas

I skim through a lot of sites for my morning read, and I had a bit of a giggling coffee-spill this morning. I took another look back.

I have for some time wanted to set up a site like digg but for focused on interesting edits on the wikis. It wouldn't be hard to do with greasemonkey.

Hmm, gotta think of a good name for it...
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(Lar @ Sun 22nd June 2008, 12:09pm) *

A spit biteful? In this endless dream of precision, I think he merely gives ads to Durova about where her lies have strengths and weaknesses, as good vice.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)