FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Shankbone vs Gretab -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shankbone vs Gretab, MusikFabrik
Cla68

Postmaster

Group: Regulars

What's the story behind this thread at ANI? Shankbone says, "Unfortunately, this user is well-known to all of us here, and at Wikipedia Review."
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dogbiscuit

Could you run through Verifiability not Truth once more?

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,015

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Thu 14th August 2008, 12:43am) *

What's the story behind this thread at ANI? Shankbone says, "Unfortunately, this user is well-known to all of us here, and at Wikipedia Review."

It is DS continuing his poisonous feud against The Fiery Angel, as we know him here.

How DS is allowed to make all his outing comments with impunity and with such venom on a public page of Wikipedia without sanction continues to amazeunsurprise many of us here.
+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Wed 13th August 2008, 11:53pm) *

It is DS continuing his poisonous feud against The Fiery Angel, as we know him here.

How DS is allowed to make all his outing comments with impunity and with such venom on a public page of Wikipedia without sanction continues to amazeunsurprise many of us here.

I guess most admins like to take care in choosing their battles and I assume that blocking Shankbone would provoke a rather large brouhaha.
+Quote Post
dogbiscuit

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Thu 14th August 2008, 12:58am) *

I guess most admins like to take care in choosing their battles and I assume that blocking Shankbone would provoke a rather large brouhaha.

They could at least have the decency to tone down the inappropriate edits which DS is clearly making as deliberately inflammatory as possible, including the link to the article he penned on ED.
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

Group: Contributors

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Wed 13th August 2008, 11:43pm) *

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=231793917

This post has been edited by Ottava:
+Quote Post
One

Postmaster General

So who's Folantin?

And yeah, I wouldn't touch that. I admire Alison's well-measured remark of sanity.

DS has built up a lot of goodwill from his usually good contributions. He also has at least two relatively influential friends: Raul and SlimVirgin. I wish he wouldn't track his ED attacks into the house.

This post has been edited by One:
+Quote Post
Disillusioned Lackey

Unregistered

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Wed 13th August 2008, 11:43pm) *

(David) Shankbone says, "Unfortunately, this user is well-known to all of us here, and at Wikipedia Review."

Unfortunately, the same can be said of David Shankbone.

Tragically, the same can be said of David Shankbone's penis.

This post has been edited by Disillusioned Lackey:
+Quote Post
everyking

Postmaster

If I am reading this correctly, it appears that Shankbone is outing someone. Isn't there supposed to be some kind of penalty for that? Observe also Shankbone's response to NYB on his talk page. I think blocks are customary in cases like this.
+Quote Post
Disillusioned Lackey

Unregistered

Shankbone has a "free immunity pass".

Also enjoyed by Jjay, Crum 375, Durova, Hochman, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhnd............ (rhymes with Quimsturgeon)

I think that about covers it, but I don't know everything. Though I attempt to make it seem so.

+Quote Post
JoseClutch

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Wed 13th August 2008, 7:58pm) *

Editors with the inability to pick battles correctly rarely (if ever) make it past an RfA. Sometimes they loose this ability just before retirement, but that is about all.
+Quote Post
CrazyGameOfPoker

Meanwhile, the proverbial shit is hitting the fan, as Moreschi proceeds to defame BAN ME! on ANI, in reponse to Sir Fozzie telling people to stop defaming Living People.

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/sleep.gif)
+Quote Post
dogbiscuit

QUOTE(CrazyGameOfPoker @ Thu 14th August 2008, 3:21pm) *

Meanwhile, the proverbial shit is hitting the fan, as Moreschi proceeds to defame BAN ME! on ANI, in reponse to Sir Fozzie telling people to stop defaming Living People.

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/sleep.gif)

The great and the good have weighed in, with DS playing the innocent "Duh, did I do something wrong?" all justified because WR is a cesspit of vile behaviour. Ho hum.

TFA doesn't exactly help himself (apparently been silly boy with anagram user names), but he should know that whatever he does, DS can sink far, far lower, and will get away with it. Probably be a good thing for TFA to be indef blocked, for his own good.
+Quote Post
Disillusioned Lackey

Unregistered

QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Thu 14th August 2008, 8:28am) *

TFA doesn't exactly help himself (apparently been silly boy with anagram user names), but he should know that whatever he does, DS can sink far, far lower, and will get away with it. Probably be a good thing for TFA to be indef blocked, for his own good.

It bears mention that Shankbone is one of the few people ever banned from Wikipedia Review - which puts him in the same bucket as Amorrow.

David Shankbone
(IMG:http://wikipediareview.com/stimg9x0b4fsr2/1/folder_team_icons/banned.jpg)
Member Group: Banned

+Quote Post
One

Postmaster General

Shankbone makes a kinda weird remark toward NYB, who was agreeing with Durova and SirFozzie that the comment on sexual orientation was inappropriate.

See conversation in final state.

Commentary by Lar and SirFozzie who, who seem to think it wasn't a light-hearted remark. David archives the conversation (that is, deletes it). SirFozzie promises to bring an ANI, which has been posted and closed. Shankbone makes BADSITES-style claims. Huge round of personal attacks, ANI closed.

WR is the new cabal, apparently.

EDIT: splitting Moreschi topic into new post. I think these are both worth discussing, but not together.

This post has been edited by One:
+Quote Post
One

Postmaster General

Who the hell is Folantin? When I wanna know something like that, I search WR:
Moreschi and Folantin's WAR ON THE TROMBONE!!, ....and Makemi's neo-feminist stance!
Moreschi : We're not Sockpuppets..., ....it just looks that way....
hmm....The NEW improved Deletionist Cabal...

Hmm. Top three google hits, and all are threads by TFA. I checked further down the results and have found several treads and posts by TFA about these two. I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that Moreschi/Folantin (whether two people or just one) don't like TFA, and the feeling is apparently mutual. In retrospect, it wouldn't have taken much work to figure out who TFA was.

When Shankbone wants to bust TFA's balls, Moreschi and Folantin don't mind at all (understatement).

Does anyone else think this might be a COI issue? It might be fine, but I would probably be more comfortable if admins didn't single-handedly block someone who is apparently their biggest off-wiki critic (these threads are TFA's--it seems like all of the Moreschi posts here are). Parties of an ArbCom decision should probably not enforce the decision themselves.

First, consider what the damn decision even says:
QUOTE(ArbCom)
Enforcement by block

1) Any bans imposed under this decision may be enforced by blocking the offender for a period of up to a week. All blocks to be logged at ...

Passed 6 to 0 at 06:34, 18 November 2006 (UTC)

Moreschi explains his reasoning for the indef block here. (EDIT: WR won't let me put in the full url with anchor. Apparently using the name triggers some replacement code for "BAN ME! BAN ME!" weird.)

It seems there are COI edits in Gretab's deleted contributions. Sounds like evasion, but for the benefit of non admins, here's the punchline: these edits happened in February 2007, adding a source to his own pre-existing BLP per a talk page request. But don't forget about the promotional edits to alleged MF recording artist Germaine Tailleferre, Hugely promotional edit in April, OMG!, And another from last week October. Also check out this article where an MF artist was edited from "outstanding" to the much more promotional word "capable." The Wiki is now safe from COI. Indefinitely. Whew.

Ah well, perhaps he should have been blocked, for his own good, as said above, and at least for a time. Lar suggested a block of 1 day - 2 weeks, and TFA'a personal attacks and COI might deserve something. You should use the talk page when you have a COI, even if the edits are trivial. But Moreshi isn't acting on the level here, and I don't like it. He should have at least mentioned his history with TFA. I think failing to mention an ugly past with someone you block is on par with editing while COI. Thoughts?
+Quote Post
the fieryangel

the Internet Review Corporation is watching you...

Member No.: 577

QUOTE(One @ Fri 15th August 2008, 4:44am) *

Who the hell is Folantin? When I wanna know something like that, I search WR:
Moreschi and Folantin's WAR ON THE TROMBONE!!, ....and Makemi's neo-feminist stance!
Moreschi : We're not Sockpuppets..., ....it just looks that way....
hmm....The NEW improved Deletionist Cabal...

Hmm. Top three google hits, and all are threads by TFA. I checked further down the results and have found several treads and posts by TFA about these two. I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that Moreschi/Folantin (whether two people or just one) don't like TFA, and the feeling is apparently mutual. In retrospect, it wouldn't have taken much work to figure out who TFA was.

When Shankbone wants to bust TFA's balls, Moreschi and Folantin don't mind at all (understatement).

Does anyone else think this might be a COI issue? It might be fine, but I would probably be more comfortable if admins didn't single-handedly block someone who is apparently their biggest off-wiki critic (these threads are TFA's--it seems like all of the Moreschi posts here are). Parties of an ArbCom decision should probably not enforce the decision themselves.

First, consider what the damn decision even says:
QUOTE(ArbCom)
Enforcement by block

1) Any bans imposed under this decision may be enforced by blocking the offender for a period of up to a week. All blocks to be logged at ...

Passed 6 to 0 at 06:34, 18 November 2006 (UTC)

Moreschi explains his reasoning for the indef block here. (EDIT: WR won't let me put in the full url with anchor. Apparently using the name triggers some replacement code for "BAN ME! BAN ME!" weird.)

It seems there are COI edits in Gretab's deleted contributions. Sounds like evasion, but for the benefit of non admins, here's the punchline: these edits happened in February 2007, adding a source to his own pre-existing BLP per a talk page request. But don't forget about the promotional edits to alleged MF recording artist Germaine Tailleferre, Hugely promotional edit in April, OMG!, And another from last week October. Also check out this article where an MF artist was edited from "outstanding" to the much more promotional word "capable." The Wiki is now safe from COI. Indefinitely. Whew.

Ah well, I might have blocked him myself. Perhaps for his own good, as said above, and at least for a time. Shankbone probably will not stop harassing TFA until he leaves, and David will certainly win. Lar suggested a block of 1 day - 2 weeks, and TFA'a personal attacks and COI might deserve something. You should use the talk page when you have a COI, even if the edits are trivial. But Moreshi isn't acting on the level here, and I don't like it. He should have at least mentioned his history with TFA. I think failing to mention an ugly past with someone you block is on par with editing while COI. Thoughts?

Well, since I'm blocked over there, I might as well explain myself here.

The decision in the Arbcom case read as follows :

1) Jean-Thierry BAN ME! BAN ME! and other users affiliated with Musik Fabrik are banned from editing any article dealing with artists or projects listed in their sales catalog. Further, they may not add any such artist or project to any article. There is no restriction on making suggestions or participating in discussions on talk pages.

Now, the way I read this is that the words used are "artists" and "projects listed in their sales catalog". The word "artist" is not the same (at least in the music world) as the word "composer". An "artist" is the person who performs the music (see for example the "search the repertoire page on BMI, where artists and composers are separate fields : http://www.bmi.com/search/). However, "projects listed in their sales catalog" would be specific works composed by composers in the catalog. Works composed by composers in the catalog but published by others would be not be a conflict of interest, since information about them would not lead to sales.

So, for example, this diff. dealt with a ballet that we don't publish. By saying that the Paris Opera Ballet refused to produce it, am I adding commercial value to the work in question? The Leguerney article was created before we started publishing him. In this diff, the work is unpublished (and will probably never be published, since there are editorial problems with it) and I am only correcting the instrumentation. How does this add commercial value?

In this diff. I'm pointing out that the only source for the article is the webpage in question: I ought to know: I wrote the whole thing. It's all unsourced (in spite of the bibliography) because it's principally original research. The worst is the works list, because it's all based on first-hand analysis of the manuscript objects and secondary sources which remain unpublished. This should probably be stubbed and rewritten, using Grove as a base (even if Grove is wrong on certain facts...)

Francis Poulenc is not in the MF catalog. Neither is Milhaud or any of the others. The edits on my own article were to avoid what eventually happened, which was a "revenge" deletion. Now that this is behind us....well, at least on the English WP, as DS has nominated in the same article for deletion in French WP...this all becomes rather moot, wouldn't you say?

That's your fault anyway: you shouldn't have written the article in the first place!, you say? Well, that's exactly right. Except that once you write the article, you can't take it back. And once you realize what you've done, it's too late. And if I may, might I ask how many times does one have to pay for the same mistake?

This COI business was a red herring to begin with. The conflict was due to the fact that I busted Moreschi and Folantin's little operatic game of voting on "who was important" and "who was not", and when their toys were taken away, they flew into a huge rage: follow the diffs from here.. It's obviously going to lead to a "community ban" and there's no point fighting it. I'm grateful to those who are trying to find a solution to this, but I rather doubt that there will be anything that they can do.

In any case, I still can't believe how long it took them to figure it out...

This post has been edited by the fieryangel:
+Quote Post
One

Postmaster General

I think that's right. Moreschi is not "enforcing" the ArbCom decision--he's unilaterally imposing a ban on one of his least favorite people. But if you were banned for a couple of weeks instead, there's no chance that you would have much future at Wikipedia under that account.
+Quote Post
Carruthers

the Omnipotent Autocrat of La La land

Maybe Folantin did figure it out awhile ago...

....that guy's a real case and tends to use his user page as an attack page.

The "War on Trombone players" thread is priceless.. Follow the links for a good laugh.

This post has been edited by Carruthers:
+Quote Post
One

Postmaster General

Hmm, I wonder if Moreshi is a reader. He brought up his extensive history only after my post...after fighting over Gretab on Wikipedia in several forums. Hi, Moreschi!

Look, this needs to be a community ban. The ArbCom decision doesn't authorize it (it says one week), and Moreschi essentially wheel-warred with Thatcher in order to block a user he's very involved in. Moreschi should be warned, the block dropped, and Gretab brought up again on ANI or someplace for an actual impartial admin to block him for a term deemed reasonable.

I doubt TFA even cares to fight for his account, but Moreschi's illegitimate block should not stand.
+Quote Post
Anonymous editor

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(One @ Thu 14th August 2008, 11:57pm) *

Shankbone makes a kinda weird remark toward NYB, who was agreeing with Durova and SirFozzie that the comment on sexual orientation was inappropriate.

Very weird. I don't know what he means by that, and I probably don't want to know.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)