FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Sockpuppet personas -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Help

This forum is for discussing specific Wikipedia editors, editing patterns, and general efforts by those editors to influence or direct content in ways that might not be in keeping with Wikipedia policy. Please source your claims and provide links where appropriate. For a glossary of terms frequently used when discussing Wikipedia and related projects, please refer to Wikipedia:Glossary.

> Sockpuppet personas, Best attempt at making a new persona different to master
Casliber

Group: Regulars

One thing about socking, I have been intrigued about folks' perceptions of sockmasters who have created a sock and successfully made a new persona that wrote and interacted substantively differently to the original account. Has anyone been really impressed at one which turned out to be a sock, and had otherwise been successful at sounding completely different?
Cas

(has this topic been asked before somewhere?)

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
radek

Ãœber Member

Group: Regulars

QUOTE(Casliber @ Tue 12th July 2011, 6:33am) *

One thing about socking, I have been intrigued about folks' perceptions of sockmasters who have created a sock and successfully made a new persona that wrote and interacted substantively differently to the original account. Has anyone been really impressed at one which turned out to be a sock, and had otherwise been successful at sounding completely different?
Cas

(has this topic been asked before somewhere?)

I think you've overestimating the "persona" of the average Wikipedia editor. To have a persona one must have personality and a lot of them don't. Even if they do, it's not that hard to create "generic Wikipedia editor persona". This whole "it's easy to change IP but hard to change the nature of the edits" is received conventional wisdom, but it's simply not true.

For the record I've never used socks (never had much reason to either, plus it's Wrong! WRONG I tell you!) but as it turns out, apparently some of my Wiki friends have (and I was surprised) and I see a ton of what I essentially know are socks. I know they're socks because I'm familiar with the topic area. And usually there's clear cut red flags - like in Race & Intelligence area there's a buttload (something like a dozen) of accounts running around which were all created in October or November 2010, in other words, exactly during or right after the R&I case. And they're all SPA. You know they're socks of one person or another that got sanctioned in that case. Hell, some of them even admit to "having edited Wikipedia before". But all the AGF bullshit means that if you call any of them out on it, it's gonna be you who gets dragged to AE or AN/I for "incivility" and "harassment". Same thing with Eastern European topics (some of them I think I could actually compile enough evidence to get busted but as long as they don't get too obnoxious, it's not worth the trouble). Of course where I a big-shot admin, I'd have the right to just ban-hammer them based on a whiff of suspicion...

Anyway... I actually think that a lot of these sock puppet masters WANT TO GET CAUGHT. For folks like Poetlister it's part of the game, and hell, what fun is it to play the game if nobody knows you're still playing. Similar thing for Kohs and some of other youse, though the motivation is different. If Greg ran all his socks 100% under the radar then he would cease to be the bete noire of certain people, and would risk slipping into irrelevancy (in relative terms). So I'm sure it's actually good for him if once in awhile a sock or two of his gets caught and exposed.

The people who are really getting away with it are the ones who don't give a shit about personal notoriety or attention. They're serious about their POV pushing and all they care about is whether the content reflects their world view. And then flying under the radar is quite easy - make controversial changes, but avoid discussion. Keep edit summaries to a minimum. Pretend you don't speak good English, or, if in fact you really don't speak good English, make sure all your brief and succinct edit summaries are perfection of short English prose. Make a lot of bullshit Twinkle edits, or spend a lot of time assessing articles for a Wiki project, use Wikipedia jargon as much as possible instead of real English. Like I said, it's trivial.. and irritating as hell.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Casliber   Sockpuppet personas  
thekohser   I thought I did a remarkable job with Cool3.  
Mr.Treason II   I thought I did a remarkable job with Cool3. Ho...  
thekohser   You, Kohs, have been the only one on this forum t...  
Mr.Treason II   You, Kohs, have been the only one on this forum ...  
-DS-   And the legal threats are as your Zibiki Wym acco...  
Casliber   I thought I did a remarkable job with Cool3. We...  
chrisoff   I think I did a great job! (Not telling who I ...  
RMHED   Well I've got two admin accounts on da 'pe...  
A Horse With No Name   PS. The only checkuser on Wikipedia worth a damn ...  
Malleus   [quote name='RMHED' post='280170' date='Wed 13th ...  
A Horse With No Name   I thought you made a fair fist of it with your Pa...  
Mr.Treason II   I thought you made a fair fist of it with your P...  
-DS-   [quote name='A Horse With No Name' post='280202' ...  
Mr.Treason II   [quote name='Mr.Treason II' post='280390' date='S...  
powercorrupts   Eh, all they saw was "Pastor" and assum...  
A Horse With No Name   Eh, all they saw was "Pastor" and assu...  
victim of censorship   [quote name='A Horse With No Name' post='280202' ...  
MZMcBride   Well I've got two admin accounts on da 'pe...  
-DS-   I've been running a not-inconsiderable number ...  
Mr.Treason II   I've been running a not-inconsiderable number...  
-DS-   I've been running a not-inconsiderable numbe...  
Abd   [quote name='Mr.Treason II' post='282507' date='Sa...  
-DS-   [quote name='Mr.Treason II' post='282507' date='S...  
Mr.Treason II   [quote name='Abd' post='282510' d...  
EricBarbour   So, DS is the guy who writes all those insane art...  
radek   So, DS is the guy who writes all those insane ar...  
-DS-   [quote name='EricBarbour' post='282546' date='Sat...  
Jack Merridew   One thing about socking, I have been intrigued ab...  
milowent   One thing about socking, I have been intrigued ab...  
EricBarbour   One thing about socking ...is that if you reforme...  
Guido den Broeder   Pfah. My sockpuppet is Jimbo Wales.  
Milton Roe   Pfah. My sockpuppet is Jimbo Wales. You naughty,...  
Tarc   Mathewignash? Jesus, one of the most retarded, ba...  
Tarc   Ahh JoJo, are you still mad that your socks get sp...  
victim of censorship   Ahh JoJo, are you still mad that your socks get s...  
nableezy   ... JIMMY cum sucker ... Yo, its "dick/cock...  
Zoloft   ... JIMMY cum sucker ... Yo, its "dick/coc...  
Sololol   The preceding message brought to you by Chicagoa...  
nableezy   [quote name='nableezy' post='284150' date='Tue 6t...  
Mr.Treason II   [quote name='Sololol' post='284171' date='Wed 7th...  
the_undertow   One thing about socking, I have been intrigued ab...  
EricBarbour   I have the ultimate insult. "You-think-Wikip...  
Mr.Treason II   I have the ultimate insult. "You-think-Wiki...  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)