FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Shankbone retires his camera -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shankbone retires his camera
Cla68

Postmaster

Group: Regulars

For some reason, Shankbone is offended by this article in the NY Times disparaging the celebrity photos in Wikipedia/Wikimedia Commons. Evidently, according to a note on his talkpage and his blog (which I won't link to), Shankbone was offended that the Foundation didn't mention him when the NYTimes reporter called them to ask for a comment.

The NYTimes is correct, most of the celebrity photos in Wikipedia are lousy. Some participants, like Raul654 have tried to correct the situation by inviting celebrity publicists to submit better photos, but they have usually not responded.

I'm not sure why Shankbone should be so upset about it. Has he really taken that many pictures of celebrities? Did he really expect the Foundation members to have his name at instant recall when asked about it?

I uploaded this picture of drying persimmons (the picture is of an old dwelling on my in-laws farm), but I don't think I would be upset if the NYTimes said that all of the persimmon pictures in Wikipedia are terrible. Does Shankbone have good reason to be offended?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tarantino

the Dude abides

Shankbone has generated his share of horrid photos of celebrities. As thumbnails some might be okay, but judge for yourself the quality of the full resolution images.

A sampling of them are in his user space here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:David_Sh...ne/Entertainers
+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

QUOTE(tarantino @ Tue 21st July 2009, 12:16am) *

Shankbone has generated his share of horrid photos of celebrities. As thumbnails some might be okay, but judge for yourself the quality of the full resolution images.

Some of those pictures are excellent, some are so-so, and some are lousy. I would say that on the whole they support the NYTimes' reporting which is that, in general, Wikipedia's celebrity shots aren't as good as the probably should be for an "encyclopedia". Shankbone's pictures all appear to be candid shots in some social setting, perhaps at the reception line for some awards show or premier or something. So some of them come out good, but many of them look amateurish. This is not necessarily Shankbone's fault, he is a victim of the situation. I think the NYTimes is saying, why not have professional-looking portraits of each of them since they are public figures?

This post has been edited by Cla68:
+Quote Post
LaraLove

Wikipedia BLP advocate

QUOTE(tarantino @ Mon 20th July 2009, 8:16pm) *

Some are pretty good, but others are just horrible. For example, the image of Christopher Walken. I would have never published that. Just horrible.

The image of Seth Green is good, and some of the prettier actresses. It would do celebrities well to have their agents send WP promo shots.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

Shankbone is an amateur photographer and an amateur journalist. That is not a problem, per se, but his mistake is imagining that he is the real deal. As an amateur, his work is inconsistent and often bumbling. But he doesn't appear to take kindly to criticism, and he also doesn't have anyone mentoring him on how to do things correctly. His response to the Times coverage suggests his ego is running far ahead of his talent, and that is never a good thing. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hmmm.gif)
+Quote Post
Viridae

Fat Cat

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Tue 21st July 2009, 10:50am) *

Shankbone is an amateur photographer and an amateur journalist. That is not a problem, per se, but his mistake is imagining that he is the real deal. As an amateur, his work is inconsistent and often bumbling. But he doesn't appear to take kindly to criticism, and he also doesn't have anyone mentoring him on how to do things correctly. His response to the Times coverage suggests his ego is running far ahead of his talent, and that is never a good thing. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hmmm.gif)

Bingo.
+Quote Post
anthony

Postmaster

Allowing CC-BY-ND photos would probably be helpful. The insistence on allowing derivative works doesn't really make sense in terms of photographs.
+Quote Post
toddy

Neophyte

Group: Contributors

QUOTE(anthony @ Tue 21st July 2009, 2:36am) *

Allowing CC-BY-ND photos would probably be helpful. The insistence on allowing derivative works doesn't really make sense in terms of photographs.

I think it does make sense in many ways; licensed as "no-derivatives" would bar alteration of the photo in any way, so (as far as I understand it, I'm not a lawyer) you couldn't even crop out crap/offensive/irrelevant parts of a photo, or change the brightness - you either use the photo as-is or not at all. There are always the "vanity" photographs of some-guy-with-celebrity or that person who plasters their name at the bottom.

The commercial use stipulation on the other hand, is utterly stupid. And I don't buy Wales' "if an entrepreneur in India wants to print textbooks and sell them for £1..." justification one bit.

This post has been edited by toddy:
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Mon 20th July 2009, 7:45pm) *

For some reason, Shankbone is offended ...

Wow, I certainly called this one.
+Quote Post
Sarcasticidealist

Head exploded.

Member No.: 4,536

QUOTE(toddy @ Mon 20th July 2009, 11:05pm) *
I think it does make sense in many ways; licensed as "no-derivatives" would bar alteration of the photo in any way, so (as far as I understand it, I'm not a lawyer) you couldn't even crop out crap/offensive/irrelevant parts of a photo, or change the brightness - you either use the photo as-is or not at all. There are always the "vanity" photographs of some-guy-with-celebrity or that person who plasters their name at the bottom.
My understanding -- also not being a lawyer, and being very open to be shown wrong on this -- is that it's not a derivative work unless something that passes the threshold of creativity is done to it. I don't think cropping or basic brightness adjustments would generally qualify.
+Quote Post
Viridae

Fat Cat

QUOTE(toddy @ Tue 21st July 2009, 12:05pm) *

The commercial use stipulation on the other hand, is utterly stupid. And I don't buy Wales' "if an entrepreneur in India wants to print textbooks and sell them for £1..." justification one bit.

Its because WP is mirrored by commercial sites like about.com
+Quote Post
anthony

Postmaster

QUOTE(toddy @ Tue 21st July 2009, 2:05am) *

QUOTE(anthony @ Tue 21st July 2009, 2:36am) *

I think it does make sense in many ways; licensed as "no-derivatives" would bar alteration of the photo in any way, so (as far as I understand it, I'm not a lawyer) you couldn't even crop out crap/offensive/irrelevant parts of a photo, or change the brightness - you either use the photo as-is or not at all.

So only accept photos under CC-BY-ND which don't have any crap/offensive/irrelevant parts.
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Mon 20th July 2009, 6:45pm) *
I'm not sure why Shankbone should be so upset about it. Has he really taken that many pictures of celebrities? Did he really expect the Foundation members to have his name at instant recall when asked about it?

The Foundation is extremely aware of Shankers and all of his online activities - that's most likely why they didn't mention his name to the reporter from the New York Times. If someone like Cohen had looked into Shankbone's WP history in any detail, he probably would have jettisoned the photography story completely, in favor of something far more embarrassing to Wikipedia and everyone associated with it.
+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

QUOTE(Somey @ Tue 21st July 2009, 4:47am) *

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Mon 20th July 2009, 6:45pm) *

The Foundation is extremely aware of Shankers and all of his online activities - that's most likely why they didn't mention his name to the reporter from the New York Times. If someone like Cohen had looked into Shankbone's WP history in any detail, he probably would have jettisoned the photography story completely, in favor of something far more embarrassing to Wikipedia and everyone associated with it.

Very good point. David, if you're reading this, remember that sometimes there are consequences for our actions.
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

Looks as if I need to point something else out:

Real "encyclopedias" don't have BLPs of all these assorted actors, singers, athletes
and other semi-famous tabloid fodder. So they don't need photos of them.

Look in a dead-tree directory of famous people, like Who's Who. Very few photos.
And they expect people to PAY to have them run a photo. IMDB wants the rights
to any photos posted for a bio--period. No rights, no photo.

If WP simply removed those BLPs, multiple problems are solved at once!

Example: Ayumi Hamasaki. One of the most famous pop singers in Japan.
Do you see a pic of her on her IMDB page?
Or Namie Amuro? IMDB listing, no photo.
Or Hitomi? Same deal.
Or Hikaru Utada? Same. (Bad WP photo, too.)

They don't have photos on IMDB, because they're almost unknown outside Japan, and
the Japanese don't use IMDB anyway. But WPers who are Japanomaniacs, especially
the anime freaks, know who these singers are--because they're famous in Japan, and
have had songs or vocal parts on animes. So, they get extra-special treatment on
WP, and not anywhere else in English-language online media, except on anime
fansites and J-pop fansites......
+Quote Post
JohnA

Looking over Winston Smith's shoulder

I take it back. Shankers can't photograph to save his worthless life.

My wife is horrible at taking pictures and she'd still take better than Shankbone.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Tue 21st July 2009, 12:57am) *

Very good point. David, if you're reading this, remember that sometimes there are consequences for our actions.

Indeed -- Kenneth Pinyan learned that the hard way. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
sbrown

Group: Inactive

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Tue 21st July 2009, 9:42am) *

Look in a dead-tree directory of famous people, like Who's Who. Very few photos.

There are no photos at all in Who's Who. Do you mean some other publication thats taken the name?
+Quote Post
grievous

Group: Contributors

Shankbone is butthurt? This is news?
+Quote Post
Nerd

Ãœber Member

Member No.: 11,945

QUOTE(LaraLove @ Tue 21st July 2009, 1:45am) *

QUOTE(tarantino @ Mon 20th July 2009, 8:16pm) *

Some are pretty good, but others are just horrible. For example, the image of Christopher Walken. I would have never published that. Just horrible.

It looks like he has a red halo. And he had an awful haircut there too.

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Tue 21st July 2009, 1:50am) *

His response to the Times coverage suggests his ego is running far ahead of his talent, and that is never a good thing. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hmmm.gif)

Yes. If he wanted credit or recognition, he should have published the photos on his own site. Otherwise, people will take his work for granted.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)