FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Biograph Company -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Help

This subforum is for critical evaluation of Wikipedia articles. However, to reduce topic-bloat, please make note of exceptionally poor stubs, lists, and other less attention-worthy material in the Miscellaneous Grab Bag thread. Also, please be aware that agents of the Wikimedia Foundation might use your evaluations to improve the articles in question.

Useful Links: Featured Article CandidatesFeatured Article ReviewArticles for DeletionDeletion Review

> Biograph Company, Open slander and harrassment
biographco

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 1,201

First, I want to thank the editors of the blog and say that there is such a need for this forum about Wikipedia, since this so called "Encyclopedia" is crawled by many other information websites and so many editors on Wikipedia truly have an agenda that is unfair and biased.

My company is a small independent film company and had been on Wikipedia for quite awhile with an article. Our company is a very old company, and has an exemplary reputation. We did not even post the first article but one of the Wiki-members did. The first article was fine and fairly accurate. However, in 2004 after our monument in Hollywood event, one editor appeared and became malicious with intent to harm the reputation of the company. This "Editor" also had a certain group of "Editors" that knew this person or he/she recruited them in an effort to discredit our company, and supply false information. We feel this was a personal attack and intent on harming the company's reputation for certain reasons.

At the time, I was not that familiar with Wikipedia guidelines or standards, and one of our VP's was extremely upset and dared to defy this "Editor". This VP who had a previous Wikipedia account was promptly blocked. I admit our VP did go against some Wiki-policies. Our attorney then attempted to call and contact Wikipedia to resolve the issue, but without results. The article was further re-written, including ambiguous information and intentional inclusions to make the company look "Ridiculous" which is actually posted IN WRITING by one of the administrators, yes, that this was their intent and goal. Since this, we have not attempted to change anything, in-process of legal proceedings according to state and federal law.

We also noticed that some other members of Wikipedia who were trying to correct the article contacted us on our information. These other editors also discovered that their was malicious intent against us, and were blocked as well by this other coalition of editors determined to discredit the company. This information we know of because of the blocked editors contacting our office.

We also was recently hacked and even embezzlement of funds occurred by hacking that coincide with recent Wikipedia activity against the company. This has been already reported to the proper authorities, and we believe it may have been a Wikipedia person involved in this slanderous effort.

Unfortunately, anyone attempting to correct the article about us is "Blocked" or "Banned". A monopoly of only a few associated editors now is able to include any false or harmful information without recourse. With this in mind, we have several options that we are in the process of initiating against Wikipedia and the foundation, some of it possibly criminal.

It is sad that Wikipedia is a great idea but is monopolized and used for personal and sometimes hateful agendas against others without provocation. We want to make everyone aware of this and maybe this can be stopped before Wikipedia finally pushed too far, and will eventually be shut down for inappropriate activity.

Please feel free to check out the Wikipedia article under "American_Mutoscope_and_Biograph_Company" and also read the "Talk" sections as well as the archive sections. We also encourage any kind of input on this subject.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

QUOTE(anon1234 @ Sat 31st March 2007, 5:57pm) *
Typical distortion. I notice they are associating the legal threats as coming from WR proper, but we are not an organization with the ability to file lawsuits as a group, but rather a message board in which many people from diverse groups can post...

I know! Do they think we're forming a corporation or something? It's ludicrous. (But hardly surprising...)

Besides, their definition of "legal threat" pretty much means anything in which the word "legal" is included in a sentence. Pointing out legislation that might affect the content of an article is a "legal threat." Vaguely noting that the foundation might be sued for libelous content is a "legal threat." The entire WP:NLT policy is just a blinkering mechanism that lets them pretend that nothing they do ever has consequences. That, too, is ludicrous.

QUOTE(Toledo @ Sat 31st March 2007, 6:44pm) *
In the part of the Wikipedia article about your company, what is incorrect or slanderous?

Looks like much of the dispute was over the relationship of the modern company with the original...? The WP folks would probably have treated them much better if they'd named it "The American Mutant Biology Company" instead. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

Actually, I may use that for my own next company...

By the way, welcome to the forum, Toledo! We were sort of hoping for Cleveland, but I suspect you'll do just fine for now!
+Quote Post
guy

Postmaster General

Group: Inactive
Member No.: 23

QUOTE(Somey @ Sun 1st April 2007, 5:21am) *

By the way, welcome to the forum, Toledo! We were sort of hoping for Cleveland, but I suspect you'll do just fine for now!

Welcome from me, too.

Cleveland is in North-East England and Toledo is in Spain - or is this some American joke? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
Somey

QUOTE(guy @ Sun 1st April 2007, 7:47am) *
Cleveland is in North-East England and Toledo is in Spain - or is this some American joke? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)

How about "I was hoping for Barcelona," then? By all accounts, Barcelona is more fun than Cleveland...

Getting back to the topic at hand, among all the BLP-related discussions on WikiEN-L over the past 48 hours, this thread was mentioned, and if I might be permitted to back-track here a little bit, I think one could certainly interpret "With this in mind, we have several options that we are in the process of initiating against Wikipedia and the foundation, some of it possibly criminal" as a threat to sue. (Of course, we don't have the same strictures or tendencies to redefine common phrases that WP has, but no matter...)

It's an interesting game, in a way, if I might be permitted to use the term "game" here. On the one hand, if you really want your lawsuit to succeed in actually damaging WP, it's probably best to threaten them over a period of months, during which time you'll be subjected to taunting, hostile edits, gloating, and various forms of insults, much of it obscene. You can use that in your case against them - doesn't matter that it's after-the-fact, because it demonstrates malicious intent.

On the other hand, if you want quick action in dealing with your immediate problem, such as getting libelous or inaccurate info out of an article or even getting a page deleted, it's probably best to file suit right away, without a lot of fanfare, and hope for some high-level intervention. Of course, that assumes you can find a lawyer willing to take on what may become a long-term, high-profile case, and that your case is strong enough to not be thrown out of court immediately on some sort of summary judgement.

I'm not sure what to suggest in AMBC's case... The WikiEN-L postings could be used to demonstrate WP's dismissive and hostile attitudes, but probably not very effectively, I suspect. That whole business about building a studio lot on the Moon, which is probably just a bit of fun they were having, didn't have a disclaimer on it saying "JOKE" - so their reaction to it probably couldn't be used against them.

Then again, it's not funny if you have to explain it, I guess!
+Quote Post
Toledo

Neophyte

QUOTE(Somey @ Sun 1st April 2007, 12:00pm) *
That whole business about building a studio lot on the Moon, which is probably just a bit of fun they were having, didn't have a disclaimer on it saying "JOKE"
Someone who identified himself as a vice president of Biograph clearly did not consider it a joke, and posted: "The property deed on the moon is valid. Branson with Virgin Galactic is looking into it as well. Are you laughing at him too? Check your facts before you discredit."
+Quote Post
Somey

QUOTE(Toledo @ Sun 1st April 2007, 12:44pm) *
...The property deed on the moon is valid. Branson with Virgin Galactic is looking into it as well.

Admittedly, I did not see that!

Okay, I have to admit, that's a problem. Using Richard Branson as a means of backing up any sort of assertion is definitely a sign of... well, let's just say it's not at all good!

This isn't going to turn out well for anyone, is it?
+Quote Post
biographco

Member No.: 1,201

QUOTE(Somey @ Sun 1st April 2007, 1:58pm) *

QUOTE(Toledo @ Sun 1st April 2007, 12:44pm) *
...The property deed on the moon is valid. Branson with Virgin Galactic is looking into it as well.

Admittedly, I did not see that!

Okay, I have to admit, that's a problem. Using Richard Branson as a means of backing up any sort of assertion is definitely a sign of... well, let's just say it's not at all good!

This isn't going to turn out well for anyone, is it?

First, to answer the moon subject, yes it was originally done for publicity. After we looked into it, we found out there was validity in the claim. We also contacted my friend Dick Branson's office. Dick is legit and yes the above statement is true, even governments are looking that way towards the moon. Please research it, it backs up what I say. Our main goal was to have a camera on the moon which is very feasable. Again, they used this in a negative way as they did with everything we state.

Now, I would like to thank all the unbiased and rational support. You can see by the malicious reaction of someone at Wikipedia the feelings towards us and our company. My big question is, why are they so biased against us? We had an article on Wikipedia, our company is "Real", our information on our company is put in a straight forward informational manner. My question again is.... What is their agenda, what do they have against us? It is irrelevant to us what Wikipedia puts out. It is when it is taken as "Fact" on onther websites. thw Wikipedia Foundation has to abide by all laws of the United States and the State laws of Florida, since it is incorporated in that state. Ranting they are not liable for any legal actions is detached from reality. They by law, have to abide by the same laws any corporation, profit or non-profit abide by. They are not exempt in any way as any other corporation of its type and class. As long as it is out there that their slanderous and libelous statements, not unintentionally, but admitted to be intentional by them in WRITING is to discredit the company, then other information websites need not crawl this article as "Fact". That is our only main concern, Again, this is not just civil, but criminal. Also, for our readers PLEASE read ALL of the discussions sections "Talk" sections in the Wikipedia article. You will find all you need to know in their, and thank you again for your interest.

This post has been edited by biographco:
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
biographco   Biograph Company  
anon1234   It's standard practice for editors and adminis...  
biographco   It's standard practice for editors and admini...  
anon1234   From AN/I: Typical distortion. I notice they ar...  
Somey   By far! I found this archived AN entry. Shoul...  
Toledo   In the part of the Wikipedia article about your co...  
biographco   In the part of the Wikipedia article about your c...  
biographco   In the part of the Wikipedia article about your c...  
Kathryn Cramer   In the part of the Wikipedia article about your ...  
biographco   [quote name='guy' post='26444' date='Sun 1st Apri...  
Toledo   On "Building" a studio lot, no such thin...  
biographco   [quote name='anon1234' post='26423' date='Sat 31s...  
Toledo   Most states have a statute of limitations on libel...  
biographco   Most states have a statute of limitations on libe...  
Toledo   The article is libelous because it presents inaccu...  
biographco   The article is libelous because it presents inacc...  
Toledo   Libel under Florida law is a civil tort, not a cri...  
Toledo   I've read through all the discussion page (inc...  
biographco   I've read through all the discussion page (in...  
Toledo   Because of time constraints, I cannot give you the...  
biographco   Because of time constraints, I cannot give you th...  
dtobias   "I think it's obviously an attempt at se...  
biographco   [quote name='biographco' post='27109' date='Sun 8...  
biographco   [quote name='biographco' post='27109' date='Sun ...  
Somey   Bingo! Couldn't have said it better muh...  
biographco   Bingo! Couldn't have said it better muh...  
biographco   Bingo! Couldn't have said it better muh...  
Uly   There's a saying in the legal profession: ...  
Cedric   There's a saying in the legal profession: ...  
Toledo   62A Am. Jur. 2d Privacy § 128: Restatement (Sec...  
Toledo   One comment from one editor = "they mention i...  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)