FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Ncmvocalist retires -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Ncmvocalist retires, with great production value
jd turk

Group: Contributors

Ncmvocalist has retired from WP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=261059444

Strange case here, I just wanted to see if anyone else had a background with the guy. I remember him from way back when I was actually editing over there, and found him to be quite the douche.

He's been in trouble before for prematurely archiving threads and generally acting like an admin, without ever being one. From there he got sideways with ARBCOM because he jumped in and started doing clerk work, even though he was told on several occasions not to do so.

Then a few days ago, he denied an unblock request and got in trouble for again pretending to be an admin. He apparently announced a while back he was going to make some kind of grand reveal on New Year's Eve, and has now said he's retiring.

Really weird case. It seems to be an example of an editor who was trying to usurp power and position, and how he got smacked down by the editors who already had it.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
wikiwhistle

Postmaster

Group: Regulars

I thought he was a longstanding admin. Did he make any Requests for Adminship?
+Quote Post
jd turk

I don't think he ever made a RfA. I'm not saying archiving is an admin function, but he was jumping in and closing and archiving discussions that were still ongoing.

Here's the earlier thread about it.

http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?showt...&hl=Ncmvocalist

It may be the encyclopedia anyone can edit, but it's also the website that gives people delusions of grandeur. That's probably applicable to all sides of this one.
+Quote Post
LessHorrid vanU

Devils Advocaat

Group: Regulars

QUOTE(jd turk @ Wed 31st December 2008, 8:06pm) *

I don't think he ever made a RfA. I'm not saying archiving is an admin function, but he was jumping in and closing and archiving discussions that were still ongoing.

Here's the earlier thread about it.

http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?showt...&hl=Ncmvocalist

It may be the encyclopedia anyone can edit, but it's also the website that gives people delusions of grandeur. That's probably applicable to all sides of this one.

I am pretty certain he had a past, and one which a few people were not prepared to forget. I, however, found him to be an excellent administrator (that is the type of work done, rather than the title) and worked with him in one of the instances when I donned the "sirriz bizniz" cloak and actually did those things that are supposed to enable other editors to contribute usefully. Not only was he hard working and clear thinking, but he had an excellent vision of what really might work in resolving matters - as a team I was just generally the one who could take a bit of responsibility while he laid down the foundations of a proposal.
I think he had a run at RfA earlier this year, which was less than succesful (I missed it, which means I don't know what the general area of mistrust was), but he seemed to have accepted it and was generally being useful around the noticeboards and like. I saw him at ArbCom, too, and wasn't aware if any of his tidying was inappropriate or vexatious. In all, I thought that this was an editor and colleague that I could rely upon. I am sad to see him go, if that is what finally occurs.
+Quote Post
Deacon

Member No.: 5,756

From about a month of seeing him going about, I thought Ncmvocalist was generally alright doing what he did. Did quite boring work competently. If a few people thought he was a clerk for a few whiles then so what, it's not exactly a powerful position, just the way to become an omega arbcom groupie or to advance hopes of being a future arb. I didn't agree that the warnings left to him were appropriate and I regard it as unfortunate that the arbs didn't publicly disapprove of them. I know slamming the clerks involved may be potentially hamstringing them and their future ability to do their jobs, but the sad thing there is that the ArbCom can't trust its clerks to use common sense and not be petty. These warnings concerned edits that weren't controversial. It was the very act of doing something that the clerks expected to be allowed to do on their own that invoked the censure and the warnings, not that any individual act was incompetent or otherwise bad. Not very respectable in my view.
+Quote Post
jd turk

QUOTE(Deacon @ Thu 1st January 2009, 12:32pm) *

I didn't agree that the warnings left to him were appropriate and I regard it as unfortunate that the arbs didn't publicly disapprove of them.

Looking at his history, it seems like any time he got called on overstepping his boundaries, he responded with venom and sarcasm. It looks like he actually wanted people to think he had more power than he did.

And looking at WP's model, you can't do that. People have been on WP for years trying to gain that power, they're going to be defensive of it when someone usurps it.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)