FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Worst of the Wannabees -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Help

This forum is for discussing specific Wikipedia editors, editing patterns, and general efforts by those editors to influence or direct content in ways that might not be in keeping with Wikipedia policy. Please source your claims and provide links where appropriate. For a glossary of terms frequently used when discussing Wikipedia and related projects, please refer to Wikipedia:Glossary.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Worst of the Wannabees
Peter Damian

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

Group: Regulars

This refers

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Fri 1st January 2010, 4:18pm) *

Save the 'hasten the day' socks for the inevitable RFA of Coldplay Expert (T-C-L-K-R-D) , almost certainly the most slack-jawed and drooling of the current crop of wannabees.

I haven't really followed the careers of the newer ones climbing the ladder of success on Planet Wiki. Any suggestions for other would-be admins like 'Coldplay Expert' - examples of noxious and sick-making behaviour would be useful.

Perhaps we could draw up a shortlist for the WP:DICK awards.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Number Six

Group: Contributors

Coldplay's myspace talkpage buddy Thejadefalcon (T-C-L-K-R-D) takes runner up in the slack-jawed and drooling competition.
+Quote Post
Peter Damian

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

QUOTE(Number Six @ Sat 2nd January 2010, 3:38pm) *

Coldplay's myspace talkpage buddy Thejadefalcon (T-C-L-K-R-D) takes runner up in the slack-jawed and drooling competition.

Yes can we have some slack-jawed and drooly diffs please if possible to keep as amused.
+Quote Post
Malleus

Fat Cat

Member No.: 8,716

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Sat 2nd January 2010, 9:29am) *

This refers

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Fri 1st January 2010, 4:18pm) *

Save the 'hasten the day' socks for the inevitable RFA of Coldplay Expert (T-C-L-K-R-D) , almost certainly the most slack-jawed and drooling of the current crop of wannabees.

I haven't really followed the careers of the newer ones climbing the ladder of success on Planet Wiki. Any suggestions for other would-be admins like 'Coldplay Expert' - examples of noxious and sick-making behaviour would be useful.

Well, I found this self-centred saccharine nonsense quite vomit-inducing. "Oh no, I'll never be an admin now, I've lost all respect". How can you lose what you never had?

This post has been edited by Malleus:
+Quote Post
Eva Destruction

Fat Cat

I'm quite taken by the "This user knows that Nazi Germany is in no way assiciated with the real Germany" on CE's userpage. Presumably all the real Germans popped out to the shops, and when they weren't looking those sneaky imposters occupied Western Europe.
+Quote Post
cyofee

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Sat 2nd January 2010, 6:49pm) *

I'm quite taken by the "This user knows that Nazi Germany is in no way assiciated with the real Germany" on CE's userpage.

Maybe he just found out?
+Quote Post
everyking

Postmaster

He seems to be self-destructing due to some sockpuppetry allegation.
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Sat 2nd January 2010, 3:29am) *

Apparently, there's a script running under an account called Rick Bot (T-C-L-K-R-D) that maintains a page called Wikipedia:List of administrator hopefuls (T-H-L-K-D), though this isn't specifically mentioned on the Rick Bot user page. If I understand this correctly, any time a user places the "{{Template:User wikipedia/Administrator someday}}" userbox on his/her user page, the page gets added to Category:Wikipedia administrator hopefuls and this script adds the user to the list, and also checks for users who have had "successful" RfA's and places them in a separate part of the list - in the third (last) section. (Since the last section of the list has nobody in it, presumably one of the first things all newly-minted admins do is remove that "would like to be an admin someday" template from their user pages.)

Anyway, there aren't really a lot of familiar names on that list. I recognized Promethean (T-C-L-K-R-D) from a recent Malleus-related dust-up, and Moe Epsilon (T-C-L-K-R-D) , and of course the inevitable Razorflame (T-C-L-K-R-D) . I also remember Dendodge (T-C-L-K-R-D) , who was one of those who ran afoul of Mr. Friday's "oppose all minors" rule on RfA voting, and a couple others look sort of familiar... All in all, though, nobody really leaps out. That probably just means that the vast majority of wannabe admins have finally twigged to the "head-down, shut up, avoid controversy" route to WP adminship.
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

QUOTE(everyking @ Sat 2nd January 2010, 11:58am) *

He seems to be self-destructing due to some sockpuppetry allegation.

Come on, my star is fading, I swerve out of control
If I'd only waited, I'd not be stuck here in this hole
And I swear, I waited and waited...

But time is on your side, it's on your side now
Not pushing you down, and all around...

It's no cause for concern.

+Quote Post
Trick cyclist

Fortunately Denmark palmed Norway off to Sweden in 1814

Group: Inactive

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Sat 2nd January 2010, 5:49pm) *

I'm quite taken by the "This user knows that Nazi Germany is in no way assiciated with the real Germany" on CE's userpage. Presumably all the real Germans popped out to the shops, and when they weren't looking those sneaky imposters occupied Western Europe.

Perhaps he could explain then why there are former Nazis, involved in the occupation of Denmark, still living in Germany?

There is a story "The Groaning Hinges of the World" by R A Lafferty that suggests that every so often various places in the world such as Germany flip over and swap the people living there for subterranean people. Maybe hes read that story.
+Quote Post
Emperor

Postmaster

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Sat 2nd January 2010, 12:49pm) *

I was pretty unimpressed with him in a discussion on the WWII talk page. I get the feeling that he's just very young, and perhaps needs to read more books and go to school a bit longer. I don't think he's a bad kid, just out of his league (or in his league, if you consider the crowd he's running with).
+Quote Post
Juliancolton

QUOTE(Somey @ Sat 2nd January 2010, 1:00pm) *

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Sat 2nd January 2010, 3:29am) *

Apparently, there's a script running under an account called Rick Bot (T-C-L-K-R-D) that maintains a page called Wikipedia:List of administrator hopefuls (T-H-L-K-D), though this isn't specifically mentioned on the Rick Bot user page. If I understand this correctly, any time a user places the "{{Template:User wikipedia/Administrator someday}}" userbox on his/her user page, the page gets added to Category:Wikipedia administrator hopefuls and this script adds the user to the list, and also checks for users who have had "successful" RfA's and places them in a separate part of the list - in the third (last) section. (Since the last section of the list has nobody in it, presumably one of the first things all newly-minted admins do is remove that "would like to be an admin someday" template from their user pages.)

Anyway, there aren't really a lot of familiar names on that list. I recognized Promethean (T-C-L-K-R-D) from a recent Malleus-related dust-up, and Moe Epsilon (T-C-L-K-R-D) , and of course the inevitable Razorflame (T-C-L-K-R-D) . I also remember Dendodge (T-C-L-K-R-D) , who was one of those who ran afoul of Mr. Friday's "oppose all minors" rule on RfA voting, and a couple others look sort of familiar... All in all, though, nobody really leaps out. That probably just means that the vast majority of wannabe admins have finally twigged to the "head-down, shut up, avoid controversy" route to WP adminship.

Dendodge was a shame. I nominated him... eight months ago? And it failed largely for age/maturity reasons. He's now a sysop on en.wikinews having passed RfA unanimously and hasn't had any issues.

I still think he would be an excellent admin on en.wiki, but I don't think he's very active anymore.
+Quote Post
SDJ

QUOTE(Somey @ Sat 2nd January 2010, 1:00pm) *

I think I might just drop that template on my userpage, just to see what happens.
+Quote Post
Number Six

QUOTE(Number Six @ Sat 2nd January 2010, 3:38pm) *

Can do, easily, if anyone's really interested. Lotta time to dig through "i am nt wrthy" crap and varous kiss-assery. And since Coldplay's clearly the Princess...
+Quote Post
IShadowed

Neophyte

While working with {{helpme}}'s, one certainly runs across myspacers and newbies who have no clue what they were doing. However, I think we all forget sometimes to be patient... Of course I understand the difference between a newbie vandal, and a newbie myspacer, but I believe that many of us just become overwhelmed and begin biting.

Again, I'm not saying Coldplay Expert hasn't been on my nerves, and I was especially appalled regarding the barnstar entitled "The Helping Random Idiots Who Can't Use Wikipedia" , given to him/ her by one of his/ her myspacing friends. No calling newbies idiots... please.

This post has been edited by IShadowed:
+Quote Post
Eva Destruction

Fat Cat

Well, somebody hit a nerve. Quite why Malleus is the bad guy here, I'm not quite sure.
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Fri 8th January 2010, 11:50am) *
Well, somebody hit a nerve. Quite why Malleus is the bad guy here, I'm not quite sure.

That is not "building an encyclopedia". That is shit.

I wonder how many broken articles could be fixed by those little children,
instead of wasting several hours on this "argument"?

Malleus, you'd better not give in to any of them, esp. not CE.

Have you seen what he posted on his userpage today?

This post has been edited by EricBarbour:
+Quote Post
Malleus

Fat Cat

Member No.: 8,716

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Fri 8th January 2010, 7:50pm) *

It's fashionable.

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Fri 8th January 2010, 8:55pm) *

Malleus, you'd better not give in to any of them, esp. not CE.

As if. Yeah, I saw that earlier. What amuses me is that these planks get upset when they feel insulted, but believe they nevertheless have the right to insult others. For myself, I don't care what epithets someone I've never met throws my way. Sticks and stones and all that. In fact I rarely care about the epithets that someone I have met throws my way, unless I've got a reason to respect their opinion.
+Quote Post
Alison

Skinny Cow!

Member No.: 1,806

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Fri 8th January 2010, 12:55pm) *

*flounce* (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
LessHorrid vanU

Devils Advocaat

Serious point; I think the main problem with a lot of the younger editors is that they are not used to internet sites where things can get nasty. All these newer sites like MySpace, FaceBook and Wikipedia Review have this friendly culture - even 4chan seems to be friendly enough within its membership, even if they are targeting other sites they are doing it from a support orientated network. Some older editors come from the more "Wild West" days of the hindernets - from places where the infighting was part of the "game", and flamewars was just another way of passing the time.

When some of the newer generation of websurfers come across the old stylee types there is quite some clash of culture; we r not ur M8's, and we use proper English, too. It is ironic, also, that on this site where there is legit complaint about the old fashioned internet ethos - take no prisoners - that ensures that noobies often get discouraged because they can't take the heat, that some of the more "txtfrenz" orientated newcomers are ridiculed for their utterances.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)