The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Help

This forum is for discussing specific Wikipedia editors, editing patterns, and general efforts by those editors to influence or direct content in ways that might not be in keeping with Wikipedia policy. Please source your claims and provide links where appropriate. For a glossary of terms frequently used when discussing Wikipedia and related projects, please refer to Wikipedia:Glossary.

14 Pages V « < 12 13 14  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shoemaker's Holiday flames out
One
post Fri 12th March 2010, 11:10pm
Post #261

Postmaster General

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 4,284

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Cunningly Linguistic @ Fri 12th March 2010, 4:34pm) *

As a professional image restorer I can attest that she's bobbins at it.

As a professional BDSM hamster, I can verify your cromulent boasts.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
EricBarbour
post Sat 13th March 2010, 12:28am
Post #262

blah

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 5,066

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Cunningly Linguistic @ Fri 12th March 2010, 11:52am) *

To paraphrase the well-known phrase or saying "don't put down to deviousness that which is actually stupidity", Durova isn't deliberately altering history, she's just fucking lousy at doing what she does.

She's got one talent: getting admin powers for really dodgy people. hrmph.gif

"Bobbins" as in, scrofulent? biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
SB_Johnny
post Sat 13th March 2010, 1:58pm
Post #263

It wasn't me who made honky-tonk angels

Member No.: 8,272

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Cunningly Linguistic @ Fri 12th March 2010, 11:34am) *

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Fri 12th March 2010, 12:07pm) *

To paraphrase the well-known phrase or saying "don't put down to deviousness that which is actually stupidity", Durova isn't deliberately altering history, she's just fucking lousy at doing what she does.

In fairness, I have to say that, although I find Durova's "without me you're nothing" posturing intensely irritating, when I was active on WP on the occasions I had any dealings with her in the image-retouching context I always found her perfectly helpful, willing to listen to criticism and suggestions, and pretty good at what she did.

Is bobbins a good thing, or a bad thing?
+Quote Post
Web Fred
post Sat 13th March 2010, 3:39pm
Post #264

Pervert & Swinger

Member No.: 17,141

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Sat 13th March 2010, 1:58pm) *

In fairness, I have to say that, although I find Durova's "without me you're nothing" posturing intensely irritating, when I was active on WP on the occasions I had any dealings with her in the image-retouching context I always found her perfectly helpful, willing to listen to criticism and suggestions, and pretty good at what she did.

A bad thing. In her case, a very bad thing.
+Quote Post
Cedric
post Sat 13th March 2010, 3:59pm
Post #265

General Gato

Member No.: 1,116

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Cunningly Linguistic @ Sat 13th March 2010, 9:39am) *

QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Sat 13th March 2010, 1:58pm) *

A bad thing. In her case, a very bad thing.

Now I did say that. Or at least, I think I did. unsure.gif
+Quote Post
pietkuip
post Sat 20th March 2010, 6:27pm
Post #266

Member No.: 12,524

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

So now I finally know what this was about:
Image Durova's upside-down version
Image Cuerden et al

Something Durova does not want on the talk page. "Archiving" without a link to the archive. She needs to ask an art professor to know which way is up...

This post has been edited by pietkuip: Sat 20th March 2010, 6:28pm
+Quote Post
Eva Destruction
post Sat 20th March 2010, 6:52pm
Post #267

Fat Cat

Member No.: 3,301

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(pietkuip @ Sat 20th March 2010, 6:27pm) *

So now I finally know what this was about:
Image Cuerden et al

Something Durova does not want on the talk page. "Archiving" without a link to the archive. She needs to ask an art professor to know which way is up...

That has got to be the lamest thing to have a flamewar about since Raul vs Undertow arguing about "Arse" over "Ass".
+Quote Post
CharlotteWebb
post Sat 20th March 2010, 8:56pm
Post #268

Postmaster General

Member No.: 1,727

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Sat 20th March 2010, 6:52pm) *

That has got to be the lamest thing to have a flamewar about since Raul vs Undertow arguing about "Arse" over "Ass".

Featuring also a cameo appearance by Melsaran who (beknownst to none save Raul) would undergo forced disappearance 9 days thereafter. fear.gif

(cur) (prev) 19:33, 8 October 2007 Melsaran (talk | contribs) (7,329 bytes) (Albeit well-intentioned, I don't really think "buttocks" is a good compromise; please bring it up on the talk page) (undo)

This post has been edited by CharlotteWebb: Sat 20th March 2010, 9:00pm
+Quote Post
Eva Destruction
post Sat 20th March 2010, 9:09pm
Post #269

Fat Cat

Member No.: 3,301

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

Image Cuerden et al

Stupid question, but is Durova's version actually upside down? Given that it's an illustration to The Raven ("The raven still is sitting on the pallid bust of Pallas"), Durova's version clearly isn't upside down, as Cuerden's version has an upside-down bust on top of an upside-down raven. Or am I missing something?
+Quote Post
IN278S
post Sat 20th March 2010, 9:17pm
Post #270

Neophyte

Member No.: 13,936

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Sat 20th March 2010, 5:09pm) *

Image Cuerden et al

Stupid question, but is Durova's version actually upside down? Given that it's an illustration to The Raven ("The raven still is sitting on the pallid bust of Pallas"), Durova's version clearly isn't upside down, as Cuerden's version has an upside-down bust on top of an upside-down raven. Or am I missing something?

My interpretation, fwiw: The raven on the bust is upside-down because it's a shadow. If that's a wooden chair (at right, on the Cuerden et al. version) it belongs on the floor, not the ceiling.
+Quote Post
CharlotteWebb
post Sat 20th March 2010, 9:26pm
Post #271

Postmaster General

Member No.: 1,727

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(IN278S @ Sat 20th March 2010, 9:17pm) *

My interpretation, fwiw: The raven on the bust is upside-down because it's a shadow. If that's a wooden chair (at right, on the Cuerden et al. version) it belongs on the floor, not the ceiling.

Absent the above context the chair is the only recognizable object. However, … bawk, bawk, nevermore…
+Quote Post
pietkuip
post Sun 21st March 2010, 12:46am
Post #272

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Sat 20th March 2010, 10:09pm) *

The signature also shows that it is upside down, but it was printed the wrong way around in the first edition. Although Durova was aware of this, she did not want to turn it around. But what is the point of "restoring" if one does not want to fix a simple printing error?

This post has been edited by pietkuip: Sun 21st March 2010, 12:47am
+Quote Post
pietkuip
post Wed 8th December 2010, 6:54am
Post #273

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

Self-destructed on Commons: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:...Cuerden_desysop
+Quote Post
Killiondude
post Wed 8th December 2010, 7:01am
Post #274

Member No.: 13,788

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(pietkuip @ Tue 7th December 2010, 10:54pm) *

He's ragequit several times. This thread alleges that you're a tad involved in this flameout.
+Quote Post
Alison
post Wed 8th December 2010, 7:02am
Post #275

Skinny Cow!

Member No.: 1,806

QUOTE(pietkuip @ Tue 7th December 2010, 10:54pm) *

What?? confused.gif
+Quote Post
thekohser
post Wed 8th December 2010, 2:38pm
Post #276

Member No.: 911

So, the nut-case who was responsible for Anne "Risker" Clin formally banning me from Wikipedia has quit another Wikimedia project.

Eh, it's all right... I keep getting one paid editing job after another, and the ban rather controls my interest in participating in the WP drama -- helps me stay focused on the cash. My last project paid for a lovely dinner out with my family and in-laws at this hole-in-the-wall joint that has a "soup Nazi" style owner named Roberto, but food that is without question prepared by angels (or maybe Ol' Scratch himself).
+Quote Post
Versa
post Fri 23rd September 2011, 6:02pm
Post #277

Neophyte

Member No.: 6,679

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(IN278S @ Sat 20th March 2010, 2:17pm) *

Image Cuerden et al

Someone on EBay is now selling http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A4-glossy-poster...#ht_2893wt_1082 framed copies of the Cuerden et al version on the raven drawing.

You can buy the Durova "Restoration: Lise Broer" versions of the other Poe drawings:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A4-satin-poster-...#ht_2909wt_1082

"An illustration by �douard Manet for a French publication of Edgar Allan Poe's narrative poem "The Raven". In the poem, the raven flies into the narrator's home and perches on a bust of Pallas Athena (seen here). The narrator then asks the bird a series of questions, to which the bird only replies, "Nevermore". Eventually, the narrator falls into despair and ends with his final admission that his soul is trapped beneath the raven's shadow and shall be lifted "Nevermore". Originally published in 1845, the poem was widely popular and made Poe famous, though it did not bring him much financial success. "The Raven" has influenced many modern works and is referenced throughout popular culture in films, television, music and more. Restoration: Lise Broer "

+Quote Post
melloden
post Fri 23rd September 2011, 8:28pm
Post #278

Member No.: 34,482

QUOTE(Versa @ Fri 23rd September 2011, 6:02pm) *

QUOTE(IN278S @ Sat 20th March 2010, 2:17pm) *

Image Cuerden et al

Someone on EBay is now selling http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A4-glossy-poster...#ht_2893wt_1082 framed copies of the Cuerden et al version on the raven drawing.

You can buy the Durova "Restoration: Lise Broer" versions of the other Poe drawings:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A4-satin-poster-...#ht_2909wt_1082

"An illustration by �douard Manet for a French publication of Edgar Allan Poe's narrative poem "The Raven". In the poem, the raven flies into the narrator's home and perches on a bust of Pallas Athena (seen here). The narrator then asks the bird a series of questions, to which the bird only replies, "Nevermore". Eventually, the narrator falls into despair and ends with his final admission that his soul is trapped beneath the raven's shadow and shall be lifted "Nevermore". Originally published in 1845, the poem was widely popular and made Poe famous, though it did not bring him much financial success. "The Raven" has influenced many modern works and is referenced throughout popular culture in films, television, music and more. Restoration: Lise Broer "

Apparently Openprint Ltd thinks that selling featured images from Wikipedia will be profitable. But anyone can go to Kinkos (or whatever equivalent in the UK) and print off a bunch of photo posters there.
+Quote Post
SB_Johnny
post Fri 23rd September 2011, 8:42pm
Post #279

It wasn't me who made honky-tonk angels

Member No.: 8,272

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(melloden @ Fri 23rd September 2011, 4:28pm) *

Apparently Openprint Ltd thinks that selling featured images from Wikipedia will be profitable. But anyone can go to Kinkos (or whatever equivalent in the UK) and print off a bunch of photo posters there.

It's not couch shopping if you have to put clothes and shoes on and drive your fat ass down to Kinko's (or the UK equivalent, as you say).

And Versa: way to go with the necromancy!
+Quote Post
pietkuip
post Tue 26th June 2012, 9:42pm
Post #280

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

He returned: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:...ns/Adam_Cuerden

Someone had a good response: http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?t...&oldid=73305849 (no, that was not me, I did not even remember "Russkie").
+Quote Post

14 Pages V « < 12 13 14
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd 7 17, 4:56am