FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
How Wikipedia Puts The Existence Of A Free Press At Risk -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> How Wikipedia Puts The Existence Of A Free Press At Risk, And A Free Press Will Die, Not With A Bang, But A Wiki
Rating  3
Jon Awbrey

τὰ δέ μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,619

How Wikipedia Is Putting The Existence Of A Free Press At Risk

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ 30 Jan 2009)

Wikipedia has shown us that a mass medium can be rendered so plastic and so well-leveraged that any part of it can be manipulated by a relatively small number of people, in ways that defy a free society's usual means to guard against it, so long as the special interests in question have a moderate amount of resources and the will to do so. If there are portions of the content that remain untouched, it is for two reasons only: (1) no one has conceived a stake in them yet, (2) virgin forest makes for good cover.

If you're thinking that Wikipedia is the Latest Thing in Blows Against The Empire, then you have a DoubleThink coming.

Jon Awbrey, Comment in The Guardian, 30 Jan 2009, 2:02am

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Daniel Brandt

Postmaster

Group: Regulars

For decades, many universities in the U.S. have had journalism departments for undergrads who wanted to major in journalism. While this has been diluted since the 1960s by expanding these departments into "broadcast journalism" or "mass communications" areas of study, it still remains true that a professional journalist in print media (newspapers and magazines) is sometimes a person who can make a difference with an investigative story. Woodward and Bernstein were such a big hit in the 1970s that journalism departments became more popular.

It's also true that many print editors are willing to give their reporters a bit of freedom to develop their own stories and pursue leads on the company's dime. When a print reporter calls someone for an interview and identifies himself, the person who is called has a sense that certain standards of decency, common sense, and professionalism are a part of the mix. For example, there are standards about "off the record," "on background," "not for attribution," with the default being that everything is "on the record" as soon as the reporter identifies himself (a real name and affiliation, not a screen name!), unless there is agreement otherwise before the interview begins. Also, the person being interviewed knows that the editor and publisher of the newspaper is legally responsible.

This professional environment, which evolved over many decades, is essential for anyone who is trying to do investigative journalism. Bloggers cannot do this, and the entire framework of Wikipedia is in stark contrast to this professional environment.

My perception is that investigative journalism has been taking a dive in the U.S. ever since the Reagan era. But it wasn't until the Internet became popular that it went downhill very rapidly. Now it's just about gone, and if a few more newspapers go under, that will be the end of it.
+Quote Post
It's the blimp, Frank

Ãœber Member

Group: Regulars

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Tue 3rd March 2009, 5:08pm) *

Newspaper, more than any other type of media, had committed resources and developed contacts needed to engage in investigative journalism. This was true of even modest mid-size city papers.

QUOTE(Daniel Brandt @ Tue 3rd March 2009, 6:34pm) *

When a print reporter calls someone for an interview and identifies himself, the person who is called has a sense that certain standards of decency, common sense, and professionalism are a part of the mix.
Let's not forget that the cartelization of these papers was already well underway 30 years ago, and they had become the mouthpieces of people like Katherine Graham, Sun Myung Moon, and Rupert Murdoch.
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

τὰ δέ μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,619

QUOTE(It's the blimp, Frank @ Sat 30th October 2010, 2:05pm) *

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Tue 3rd March 2009, 5:08pm) *

Newspaper, more than any other type of media, had committed resources and developed contacts needed to engage in investigative journalism. This was true of even modest mid-size city papers.

QUOTE(Daniel Brandt @ Tue 3rd March 2009, 6:34pm) *

When a print reporter calls someone for an interview and identifies himself, the person who is called has a sense that certain standards of decency, common sense, and professionalism are a part of the mix.

Let's not forget that the cartelization of these papers was already well underway 30 years ago, and they had become the mouthpieces of people like Katherine Graham, Sun Myung Moon, and Rupert Murdoch.

I think we all know how bad things had already gotten.

I don't think that's an argument for letting it get worse.

Jon (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hrmph.gif)
+Quote Post
Larry Sanger

Group: Contributors

There is this thing called supply and demand, see. As long as there is a demand for credible news, and as long as there are enough people who do not find the average blog to be credible, there will be a market and hence a supply. The supply might be lower, but there's going to be a significant supply. And if somehow we can arrange for the demand for credible news to be to satisified without many people getting paid, well--great!

If there is anything to worry about, it is that not enough people will demand what I consider to be credible news.

But I'm guessing there are.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Jon Awbrey   How Wikipedia Puts The Existence Of A Free Press At Risk  
Daniel Brandt   Along the same lines, Web 2.0 in general is increa...  
Jon Awbrey   There is this thing called supply and demand, see...  
emesee   so, what has to change?  
Rhindle   I wonder what Neil Postman would say about wikiped...  
Milton Roe   I wonder what Neil Postman would say about wikipe...  
Jon Awbrey   I wonder what Neil Postman would say about wikipe...  
Selina   I think proper news organisations can capitalise f...  
Jon Awbrey   I think proper news organisations can capitalise ...  
Jon Awbrey   Periodic Reminder — For all the nøøb...  
Peter Damian   I'm afraid you gentlemen are just showing ency...  
Jon Awbrey   Variations on a Theme — Michael Moore, â...  
Jon Awbrey   Variations on a Theme — Michael Moore, â...  
Zoloft   [quote name='Jon Awbrey' post='259771' date='Sat 2...  
MZMcBride   There's an undertone here that I think unfairl...  
Jon Awbrey   There's an undertone here that I think unfair...  
Jon Awbrey   There's an undertone here that I think unfai...  
MZMcBride   Now, any such “undertone” is of course...  
Peter Damian   If there's a decent argument that Wikipedia i...  
Avirosa   A site like Wikinews or the Internet in general a...  
MZMcBride   Do you have an argument for how or why the contex...  
Avirosa   I'm not sure you're familiar with the var...  
Kelly Martin   Wikipedia is being steadily subverted to serve the...  
Jon Awbrey   Good Grief, it's like Wikipediots can't co...  
MZMcBride   Good Grief, it's like Wikipediots can't co...  
Jon Awbrey   Good Grief, it's like Wikipediots can't c...  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)