FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Unbelievabale blocks -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Unbelievabale blocks
mbz1

Group: Contributors

There are many bad block imposed every day, but between these there are some unbelievable blocks. Maybe we could use this thread to discuss such blocks.

On 26 April 2009 Gwen Gale blocked user Funguy06 with the edit summary "(Vandalism-only account: no meaningfully encyclopedic edits)"
The user who started contributing to wikipedia in 2006 was blocked over this 2009 edit as being "vandalism only" account. Really?

But see the article now. Heidi Montag (T-H-L-K-D) and compare it the edit in question(the last edit of the user)
Funguy06 was right! He vandalized nothing. Not only he made a good faith edit, it was an encyclopedic edit as well.This block is not just a bad block. This block is unbelievable. The user is gone. He did not even bother to write an unblock request.

This post has been edited by mbz1:
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
mbz1

Encyclopedist, I would like to ask you, if, when you supported Gwen's RFA http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Req...hip/Gwen_Gale_2 were you aware about these statements of her made by one of her other accounts Wyss (T-C-L-K-R-D) ?
I'd also suggest that the wanton enabling of trolls and fools on Wikipedia gives the petty cyber-castle builders endless excuses to waste time on them with RfArs, RfCs, mentor committees, IRC watchlist feeds, loopy talk page discussions/scoldings, insincere civility patrols and other process-oriented, attention-getting stuff they think will help them get elected to roles in the bureaucracy... anything to avoid true volunteer work, the writing of an encyclopedia founded on scholarly principles. Wyss 18:06, 21 November 2005 (UTC)

I don't like the notion of wading through a cyber-waste dump of coddled trolls, fools and mob-think police to edit the 1% of articles most Wikipedians don't care about. Wyss 07:06, 27 November 2005 (UTC)

However, ridding WP of fools and trolls would eliminate (in my humble opinion) about 80% of the site's active user base along with at least half of its admins. I think Wales has known this for years and has his own reasons for not doing it. So what is Wikipedia truly efficient at?

If Wikipedia is so inefficient at generating quality content (hundreds, sometimes thousands of person-hours will wontedly result in a mediocre, unscholarly article), what is Wikipedia efficient at? Traffic is the name of the game, as is fame. Encyclopedia writing is not a mass market hook

Scholastically inclinced reference projects, while perhaps exciting to weird (grin) people like me, are in truth boring to most but without selectivity as to participating editors, WP's content will be driven by mob tyranny. Face it, half of all people are of below average cleverness, and many of the other half are either indifferent to volunteering their time to an academic project or shouldn't be trusted if they do express interest, since maybe half of them would come only as articulate hucksters. Worse, qualified people tend not to have a lot of spare time, so online projects like this risk attracting more than their share of tossers and impaired outcasts, even into its bureaucracy (or dominant clique) who themselves have not a clue how or why they are being used in the furtherance of non-encyclopedic goals. How's that for stark talking? Wyss 15:13, 2 December 2005 (UTC)

Once you've read Wikiruth, it's hard to think of Wikipedia as anything other than an autistic care ...

I mean, I understand people change, but the above was said not by a teenaged girl. It was written by 30 years old woman(no outting, info is taken from her bio written by herself on Wiki).
Her performance as an admin demonstrated she did not change.

This post has been edited by mbz1:
+Quote Post
jd turk

QUOTE(mbz1 @ Wed 1st February 2012, 10:31pm) *

Encyclopedist, I would like to ask you, if, when you supported Gwen's RFA http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Req...hip/Gwen_Gale_2 were you aware about these statements of her made by one of her other accounts Wyss (T-C-L-K-R-D) ?

I've been gone from here for weeks now, and I return to find Mbz1 still swinging at Gwen Gale, using 6+ year old diffs as evidence. It actually makes me feel good, there's at least something in my life that's consistent.

As for bad blocks, they're not just exclusive to Gwen or any of the other couple of admins brought up in this thread. What bothers me the most about bad blocks is when an admin issues one, then vanishes. The recent (probably 3 months, maybe?) example that comes to mind involved an admin swooping in and leveling a block on a good faith editor with over a thousand edits, and no warning. When the confusion happened, the admin just split. The block was rightfully overturned, the admin waited out the anger, then came back and all was calmer and forgiven.

There's no accountability for the bad blocks. There should be a permanent record for admins, like there is at the long-term abuse page for the blocked.
+Quote Post
Encyclopedist

QUOTE(jd turk @ Thu 2nd February 2012, 11:35pm) *

I've been gone from here for weeks now, and I return to find Mbz1 still swinging at Gwen Gale, using 6+ year old diffs as evidence. It actually makes me feel good, there's at least something in my life that's consistent.

As for bad blocks, they're not just exclusive to Gwen or any of the other couple of admins brought up in this thread. What bothers me the most about bad blocks is when an admin issues one, then vanishes. The recent (probably 3 months, maybe?) example that comes to mind involved an admin swooping in and leveling a block on a good faith editor with over a thousand edits, and no warning. When the confusion happened, the admin just split. The block was rightfully overturned, the admin waited out the anger, then came back and all was calmer and forgiven.

There's no accountability for the bad blocks. There should be a permanent record for admins, like there is at the long-term abuse page for the blocked.

Going by what I had seen of Gwen Gale's record, I saw no reason to oppose her RFA. I had other stuff to do than conduct a deep witch hunt, and on the face of it, I see that others have perhaps done that. "Due diligence" has little meaning on WP, and if an editor votes in favour or against is rarely accompanied by a fully-detailed rationale, more likely is it a distillation of impressions gained from experience. It's not up to me to say whether that is a correct approach. HTH
+Quote Post
Web Fred

Pervert & Swinger

Member No.: 17,141

QUOTE(Encyclopedist @ Fri 3rd February 2012, 2:07am) *

QUOTE(jd turk @ Thu 2nd February 2012, 11:35pm) *

Going by what I had seen of Gwen Gale's record, I saw no reason to oppose her RFA. I had other stuff to do than conduct a deep witch hunt, and on the face of it, I see that others have perhaps done that. "Due diligence" has little meaning on WP, and if an editor votes in favour or against is rarely accompanied by a fully-detailed rationale, more likely is it a distillation of impressions gained from experience. It's not up to me to say whether that is a correct approach. HTH

Not any more it isn't anyway.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
mbz1   Unbelievabale blocks  
Michaeldsuarez   http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...3APie...  
mbz1   [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Sp...  
Vigilant   [quote name='Michaeldsuarez' post='295003' date='...  
Encyclopedist   [quote name='Michaeldsuarez' post='295003' date=...  
mbz1   [quote name='Vigilant' post='295024' date='Wed 25...  
The Joy   [quote name='Encyclopedist' post='295263' date='F...  
mbz1   I am sorry but I am lost. You want to say that Enc...  
The Joy   I am sorry but I am lost. You want to say that Enc...  
TungstenCarbide   I am sorry but I am lost. You want to say that Enc...  
mbz1   Encyclopedist [i]is Rodhullandemu. Well, in t...  
Encyclopedist   Encyclopedist [i]is Rodhullandemu. Well, in ...  
Malleus   [quote name='mbz1' post='295390' date='Fri 27th Ja...  
mbz1   I also have question to Encyclopedist. It is a gen...  
Abd   I also have question to Encyclopedist. It is a gen...  
Encyclopedist   Hmm. You stand by all your blocks? Not necessarily...  
mbz1   [quote name='Malleus' post='295769' date='Mon 30t...  
Encyclopedist   [quote name='Malleus' post='295769' date='Mon 30...  
mbz1   I was not banned by Admins; I was banned by ArbC...  
Encyclopedist   I was not banned by Admins; I was banned by Arb...  
Cunningly Linguistic   ...and I stand by each and every one of my blocks....  
Malleus   ...and I stand by each and every one of my blocks...  
Encyclopedist   [quote name='Cunningly Linguistic' post='295820' ...  
Cunningly Linguistic   [quote name='Malleus' post='295842' date='Mon 30t...  
Vigilant   [quote name='Malleus' post='295842' date='Mon 30t...  
A Horse With No Name   Cunt. :grin: ...a view of the article history...  
Abd   Humans are designed to form functional communities...  
Encyclopedist   Cunt. :grin: ...a view of the article histor...  
Encyclopedist   ...and I stand by each and every one of my blocks...  
Cunningly Linguistic   [quote name='Cunningly Linguistic' post='295820' ...  
Encyclopedist   [quote name='Cunningly Linguistic' post='295820'...  
Cunningly Linguistic   ... you might just want to grow up a little. Man...  
Encyclopedist   ... you might just want to grow up a little. Ma...  
EricBarbour   Myself, I'm no longer 14. Cheers. Some man-ch...  
Cunningly Linguistic   [quote name='Encyclopedist' post='295940' date='...  
Encyclopedist   [quote name='Encyclopedist' post='295949' date='T...  
Cunningly Linguistic   Thanks for convincing me that you're a waste...  
Fusion   Hey, the Straight Shooters, where are you? :wtf: ...  
mbz1   [quote name='mbz1' post='295015' date='Wed 25th J...  
mbz1   [quote name='Fusion' post='295081' date='Thu 26th...  
EricBarbour   On 26 April 2009 Gwen Gale blocked user Funguy06 ...  
mbz1   [quote name='mbz1' post='294998' date='Wed 25th J...  
Malleus   [quote name='mbz1' post='294998' date='Wed 25th J...  
chrisoff   Horrible! I think such blocks are the single...  
Abd   Beyond clueless. Meta RfC/Gwen Gale filed by ... ...  
mbz1   Waste of time. I was sure nothing will come ou...  
Abd   Waste of time.I was sure nothing will come out of ...  
Tarc   I'll say it again; Mila has a bug up her ass a...  
mbz1   For these of you here who are really interested in...  
Tarc   For these of you here who are really interested i...  
mbz1   And if you'd like to read more about Gwen, her...  
Zoloft   "Do you think that's air you're breat...  
EricBarbour   "Do you think that's air you're brea...  
Cunningly Linguistic   "Do you think that's air you're bre...  
Encyclopedist   "Do you think that's air you're bre...  
Zoloft   *sigh* Another really subtle fart joke wasted.  
Cunningly Linguistic   *sigh* Another really subtle fart joke wasted. ...  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)