The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PHG leaving
Peter Damian
post Sat 31st January 2009, 4:52pm
Post #1

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 4,212

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

I haven't seen any threads about this guy (please merge if there are). All the signs are that he actually isn't leaving. He leaves obligatory message on Wales talk page

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...id=267644173#Hi

with a link to an enormous rant on his arbitration page

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...nk_I_am_leaving

Yet the sentiments he expresses are those we can all share:

I started in 2004 with the dream of generously sharing all knowledge with the rest of the world, and end-up in 2009 feeling like I am trying to contribute within the politics and proceedures of a police state. Administrators are increasing drastically in numbers, while editors are dwindling and running away (Signpost article). Control is good, over-control and repression of volunteer enthusiams is not and may probably be driving away the very energy that helped develop this project in its initial stages. Given the statistical trends, and given the atmosphere around here, I would be surprised if Wikipedia wasn't deserted two years from now. This is really sad.

"A police state typically exhibits elements of totalitarianism and social control, and there is usually little or no distinction between the law and the exercise of political power by the executive. The inhabitants of a police state experience restrictions on their mobility, and on their freedom to express or communicate political or other views, which are subject to police monitoring or enforcement."

What's the story on this arbitration?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Eva Destruction
post Sat 31st January 2009, 5:07pm
Post #2

Fat Cat

Member No.: 3,301

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

Very brief version based solely on my experience with him, which is undoubtedly missing some of the background: he wrote a lot of historical articles, but had a pet theory (that the Mongols, and not the Europeans, captured Jerusalem during the Crusades, and that history has been rewritten to cover the fact up). He deliberately cited "sources" in dead languages such as Aramaic and mediaeval Mongolian that few people are able to check, so a lot of his stuff went unchallenged. Eventually Elonka spotted him and started to pull him up on it and verify sources elsewhere, and they turned out to say nothing of the sort; however, although she was right on this occasion, because of her less-than-stellar reputation a lot of people assumed that she was throwing her weight around again and that PHG was being bullied. User:Abd then donned his "self-appointed defender of the masses" mantle and started egging PHG on to "fight the power", eventually culminating in this Arbcom mess. You can dig up most of the background just by reading the WhatLinksHere page for "Franco-Mongol alliance".

This post has been edited by Eva Destruction: Sat 31st January 2009, 5:09pm
+Quote Post
Peter Damian
post Sat 31st January 2009, 5:43pm
Post #3

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

Member No.: 4,212

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Sat 31st January 2009, 5:07pm) *

Very brief version based solely on my experience with him, which is undoubtedly missing some of the background: he wrote a lot of historical articles, but had a pet theory (that the Mongols, and not the Europeans, captured Jerusalem during the Crusades, and that history has been rewritten to cover the fact up). He deliberately cited "sources" in dead languages such as Aramaic and mediaeval Mongolian that few people are able to check, so a lot of his stuff went unchallenged. Eventually Elonka spotted him and started to pull him up on it and verify sources elsewhere, and they turned out to say nothing of the sort; however, although she was right on this occasion, because of her less-than-stellar reputation a lot of people assumed that she was throwing her weight around again and that PHG was being bullied. User:Abd then donned his "self-appointed defender of the masses" mantle and started egging PHG on to "fight the power", eventually culminating in this Arbcom mess. You can dig up most of the background just by reading the WhatLinksHere page for "Franco-Mongol alliance".

Ah yes I remember that. Yes, a plague on both their houses.
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin
post Sat 31st January 2009, 8:34pm
Post #4

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Member No.: 6,696

A stopped clock is right twice a day; similarly, Wikipedia's broken governance system does sometimes make the right decisions, even if it often does so almost entirely by random chance.
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey
post Sat 31st January 2009, 8:45pm
Post #5

τὰ δέ μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,619

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Sat 31st January 2009, 3:34pm) *

A stopped clock is right twice a day; similarly, Wikipedia's broken governance system does sometimes make the right decisions, even if it often does so almost entirely by random chance.

Well, you're ½ right, but Wikipedia operates on a 24-hour clock.

Ja³
+Quote Post
Bottled_Spider
post Sat 31st January 2009, 9:14pm
Post #6

Über Member

Member No.: 9,708

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Sat 31st January 2009, 5:43pm) *
Ah yes I remember that. Yes, a plague on both their houses.

Which two? PHG, Abd, Plonka? The Europeans, Jerusalemites, Mongols?

Anyway, the joke's on the lot of them. It was the Mayans that captured Jerusalem. They sailed over from Yucatan on reed boats, took the city, looted it, then pissed off back over the Atlantic. Common knowledge.
+Quote Post
Son of a Yeti
post Sat 31st January 2009, 10:50pm
Post #7

High altitude member

Member No.: 8,704

"A police state typically exhibits elements of totalitarianism and social control, and there is usually little or no distinction between the law and the exercise of political power by the executive. The inhabitants of a police state experience restrictions on their mobility, and on their freedom to express or communicate political or other views, which are subject to police monitoring or enforcement."

Been there. Done that.

Sadly unhappy.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th 9 17, 10:34pm