FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
A general question regarding Brandt and WP: NPA -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> General Discussion? What's that all about?

This subforum is for general discussion of Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects. For a glossary of terms frequently used in such discussions, please refer to Wikipedia:Glossary. For a glossary of musical terms, see here. Other useful links:

Akahele.orgWikipedia-WatchWikitruthWP:ANWikiEN-L/Foundation-L (mailing lists) • Citizendium forums

> A general question regarding Brandt and WP: NPA, One rule for one?
Jonathan

Group: Contributors

Why is it that it is okay for members of the Wikipedia Brethren/Cabal to constantly call Brandt all sorts of horrendous names as expertly covered in Brandt's website when WP: NPA is quite possibly the most overly quoted policy used by admins (other than, of course, WP: AGF).

Is it the case that members of the Wikipedia Elite ™ are basically able to do whatever the fuck they want? Cool! In which case, it would be great to infiltrate Wikipedia by becoming an admin, because then you could use your shiny brand new powers to send Wikipedia crashing to oblivion from within. And considering as how Wikipedia will probably be dead and buried in 10, maybe 15 or perhaps 20 years time, just who is going to give a damn when a beacon of abuse and unreliability goes down in flames?

But seriously, the fact that people like Raul, Snowspinner and Freakofnurture and SlimVirgin can do what they like is deeply troubling. I can't understand why Jimmy can't simply revoke their adminship status and ban them forever. Just what the hell can they do?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Jonny Cache

τα δε μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

QUOTE(Jonathan @ Wed 6th December 2006, 6:17am) *

Why is it that it is okay for members of the Wikipedia Brethren/Cabal to constantly call Brandt all sorts of horrendous names as expertly covered in Brandt's website when WP: NPA is quite possibly the most overly quoted policy used by admins (other than, of course, WP: AGF).

Is it the case that members of the Wikipedia Elite ™ are basically able to do whatever the fuck they want? Cool! In which case, it would be great to infiltrate Wikipedia by becoming an admin, because then you could use your shiny brand new powers to send Wikipedia crashing to oblivion from within. And considering as how Wikipedia will probably be dead and buried in 10, maybe 15 or perhaps 20 years time, just who is going to give a damn when a beacon of abuse and unreliability goes down in flames?

But seriously, the fact that people like Raul, Snowspinner and Freakofnurture and SlimVirgin can do what they like is deeply troubling. I can't understand why Jimmy can't simply revoke their adminship status and ban them forever. Just what the hell can they do?

FYSMI (Funny You Should Mention It), since I have been meaning to discuss this very issue for quite a while now, under the heading of Oppressive Niceness, but I was waiting till I could think of a good subtitle.

The way that the English Wiki Peerage (EWP), also known as the ASOTAC, exploits the rules of WP:AGF and WP:NPA to abuse the English Wiki Serfs (EWS) is a textbook case of a specific pathology in organizational dynamics. One has the preaching and the pretence of a high degree of civility being used as a cover for the practice of persistent persecution in the form of one putsch and pogrom after another. Of course, one of the things that makes this possible is the split-screen doubling of standards that is so prevalent in the English Wikipedia, but there are in addition a number of other contributing factors that I am still in the process of trying to trace.

Jonny (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/cool.gif)

This post has been edited by Jonny Cache:
+Quote Post
JohnA

Looking over Winston Smith's shoulder

Group: Regulars

QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Wed 6th December 2006, 6:43pm) *

QUOTE(Jonathan @ Wed 6th December 2006, 6:17am) *

FYSMI (Funny You Should Mention It), since I have been meaning to discuss this very issue for quite a while now, under the heading of Oppressive Niceness, but I was waiting till I could think of a good subtitle.

The way that the English Wiki Peerage (EWP), also known as the ASOTAC, exploits the rules of WP:AGF and WP:NPA to abuse the English Wiki Serfs (EWS) is a textbook case of a specific pathology in organizational dynamics. One has the preaching and the pretence of a high degree of civility being used as a cover for the practice of persistent persecution in the form of one putsch and pogrom after another. Of course, one of the things that makes this possible is the split-screen doubling of standards that is so prevalent in the English Wikipedia, but there are in addition a number of other contributing factors that I am still in the process of trying to trace.

It reminds me of the early stages of the Russian revolution, where some of the early revolutionaries themselves were attacked as part of a "counter-revolution", given show trials and summary execution.

Nothing I have seen on Wikipedia is that surprising when you've studied a little of the history of Marxist movements. History really does repeat itself like that.
+Quote Post
Jonny Cache

τα δε μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

QUOTE(JohnA @ Thu 7th December 2006, 5:47am) *

It reminds me of the early stages of the Russian revolution, where some of the early revolutionaries themselves were attacked as part of a "counter-revolution", given show trials and summary execution.

Nothing I have seen on Wikipedia is that surprising when you've studied a little of the history of Marxist movements. History really does repeat itself like that.

Exactamundo !!! Sadly, some people just never learn these lessons. I guess they would object that the lessons of history are too ambiguous and polymorphously perverse to permit the drawing of firm conclusions, but I suspect that it's really just the arrogance of indolence that is too lazy to reflect on the course ahead.

Besides, they are so busy trying to sell us on the idea that they are doing something new and revolutionary that they don't want to think about the fact that they are merely re-inventing methods of dispute resolution that our primal horde ancestors had in play long before they had wheels.

Incidental Musement

This post has been edited by Jonny Cache:
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)