FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Tenofalltrades bans POV -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tenofalltrades bans POV, Who needs checkuser?
Abd

Postmaster

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 9,019

Tenofalltrades was an admin whom I so identified with William M. Connolley that I asked him to intervene to prevent WMC from losing his bit. Well, that didn't work.... too bad, WMC could have kept his adminship if a friend had given him some clue. Point is that TOAT is an ally of WMC, it's been recognizable for a long time. In the RfAr that ensued, Tenofalltrades was listed in my evidence as a "cabal" editor. Specific references showing Tenofalltrades participation in the RfCs, RfArs, and the like that were the basis for my cabal conclusions are at my evidence subpage.

One of the early signs of damage from WMC's activities was the creation of the Scibaby puppet farm. Scibaby was effectively banned by WMC and Raul654. There was no community discussion, and such isolated actions were later rejected by the community, but Scibaby has created, what, maybe 600 sock puppets? Raul654 at one point had range-blocked a huge chunk of the internet in order to try to stop Scibaby from editing. The edits themselves, all that I've seen, were relatively harmless, though usually rather inept.

A new editor appeared, ClimateOracle (T-C-L-K-R-D) . Within several edits, Hipocrite was openly claiming he was a sock. Stephen Shultz, another cabal administrator who should very much not be pretending to be neutral, filed a sock investigation. ClimateOracle was not notified, but it seems he noticed it anyway. Now, Tenofalltrades has blocked ClimateOracle for (Abusing multiple accounts: Fails WP:DUCK). No block notice on the user talk page.

Perhaps they know something I don't, and it's possible that Scibaby has modfied his behavior, but the edits don't look like Scibaby edits I've seen. It's obvious, from the immediate tagging, that it's the POV that is banned. WMC's backups in the climate change cabal are stepping up to the plate.

Articles under the Climate Change probation have a special device I've not seen before. It appears that someone can accuse an editor of being a sock puppet and it becomes immediately legitimate to automatically revert anything the editor puts up.

A request for evidence was made, and it was said, no, we can't give evidence because that would teach the puppet master how to avoid detection. In other words, we have secret evidence, which boils down to, then, "I know one when I see one." The editors who have "confirmed" this are ones whose names are familiar to me from prior climate change flaps. Naturally. Who else would be familiar with Scibaby? There is practically an entire industry devoted to finding and banning Scibaby socks. He has clearly figured out how to have enormous fun, and they happily oblige.

I certainly can't say that ClimateOracle is not Scibaby. What I see, though, is that the tar and feathers are broken out and applied based on nothing more than an impression by a highly biased administrator. Scibaby will know that, sooner or later, they will tar and feather an innocent editor, who will be able to prove it. He wins if they do that, he wins big. He's playing whack-a-mole, having discovered that the hammer can't actually hurt him, but he can waste more time than it takes him to provoke.

The argument by Wordsmith is brilliant. He's claiming that we can block even though we don't know who the puppet master is. Since this actually rules out the use of personal behavioral evidence, all that's left is POV. People with "that POV" are obviously to be excluded. This "sock" was tagged based on the simple fact that he made an obvious edit to the article on William Connolley.
Wordsmith revision-deleted Hipocrite's evidence. WP admins here might be interested in seeing that.
And this desire to exclude POVs is quite how the cabal believed and operated. So I looked at Wordsmith's user page. Bingo. Rouge admin userbox. That was one of WMC's favorite running jokes, and I once looked at who had the category. High percentage of cabal admins. I see that the category was just recently deleted....

So ... you can look at the user talk page for ClimateOracle and you won't find the sockpuppet investigation. So, SPI/Scibaby. It's clerk approved for checkuser. Why? (The user wants it, but that hasn't been mentioned and I've tried to get checkuser when I had far stronger evidence, and been turned down. No evidence at all was presented except DUCK. Apparently it depends on who you are.) In this case, though, it's probably a good thing, though I'd seen one checkuser, forget who it was, who was apparently carrying on the anti-Scibaby crusade on his own initiative, replacing Raul654, who probably gave up his checkuser privilege over this, I know the office people were not thrilled.

Scibaby cannot lose. He's trolling, successfully, he gets a payoff every time he shoves them through the process, and he gets a huge payoff when they block an innocent editor; since that's an editor who has apparently expressed a skeptical position on global warming, and there is now someone else who has personally experienced how Wikipedia is censoring the topic. Perfect.

ShortBrigadeHarvesterBoris, when he sees a disaster coming, becomes terse and vague. His comment in the SPI is pure Boris. He often seems to realize that his team is afflicted with idiots.

Pass the popcorn.

Atren questions ClimateOracle. CO seems to think that Atren is aligned with those who want to block him. That's a sign that this may well not be Scibaby. CO gives a quite good explanation of how he appeared familiar with Wikipedia. I never saw anything this skillful from Scibaby. I'd suspect GoRight, frankly, if anyone, but I absolutely don't think he'd risk it at this point.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Abd

Postmaster

Wow! Another editor blocked as a sock, apparently without warning. The SPI/Scibaby is still awaiting checkuser. But they can't wait! WavePart (T-C-L-K-R-D) .

There are some admins who may be betting the farm here, with the very possibly upcoming RfAr/Climate change. WavePart has, again, a believable story, doesn't sound at all like CilimateOracle or Scibaby, and if this does come up Scibaby, I'll be asking one of our friends to confirm it, privately, this is one where I might not trust a single checkuser, unless it were, say, Lar. Or some of the arbs.

Moar popcorn!
+Quote Post
Abd

Postmaster

Wow! Another editor blocked as a sock, apparently without warning. The SPI/Scibaby is still awaiting checkuser. But they can't wait! WavePart (T-C-L-K-R-D) . Blocked by Wordsmith.

There are some admins who may be betting the farm here, with the very possibly upcoming RfAr/Climate change. WavePart has, again, a believable story, doesn't sound at all like CilimateOracle or Scibaby, and if this does come up Scibaby, I'll be asking one of our friends to confirm it, privately, this is one where I might not trust a single checkuser, unless it were, say, Lar. Or some of the arbs.

Moar popcorn!

This post has been edited by Abd:
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 3,670

Wikipedia needs a change of climate. Kind of like Noah's Flood was a change of climate to wash away the mixed metaphors of the Augean Stables.
+Quote Post
Abd

Postmaster

Hipocrite had stated that the alleged "sock" had used "in" language like "rv" or showed other clues of being a returned user. But "returned user" doesn't equal "sock." This kind of thing was the evidence that was so potentially "useful" to a puppet master that Nuclear Winter deleted the revision. Brilliant. It's now been restored.

I found an editor who had registered and immediately dove into AfDs, and was immediately successful. The AfDs were focused on a particular topic area, basically targeting any article relating to possible criticism of Instant runoff voting, and the very first AfD targeted a joke article that had been created by a prominent critic of IRV and the organization which promotes it in the U.S., and then targeted an organization founded to study voting systems and in particular to promote "Range voting," but really more about the math of it all. Many of the articles targeted were difficult to source, covering topics well-known in the field but short on strong reliable source. The problem was that the AfDs were preferentially sweeping away only one side of a complex dispute. Anyway, this was clearly a single purpose account, pursuing a political agenda, and very familiar with Wikipedia.

So I filed a sock puppet report, and it was immediately rejected. Perhaps this was a legitimate returning user, was said. And I saw similar responses later, with even more blatant socks, when I even knew, clearly, who the puppet master was. I learned enough that most later sock reports resulted in identification and block.

But that's all been swept aside now, in pursuit of any editor who dares to be bold in stating the obvious in the climate change articles. In prior discussions and disputes, it had been set out clearly that William Connolley, the subject of the article, and William M. Connolley, the editor, were to be treated separately. Editing the article wasn't an "attack" on WMC, the editor, i.e., was not to be treated as incivility, but certainly might be treated as a BLP violation. Now, the climate change probation is being used to protect the Connolley article from the truth. And it's a pretty harmless truth, it's odd, why there is such determination to keep it out. Surely some compromise could be made in this. But I found out for myself, trying to edit Global warming, that "compromise" was in a foreign language to the crew who owned the article.

This was the edit that got ClimateOracle blocked as a "sock." In discussing his appearance as a possible returning editor with Atren on his talk page, he claimed to have gotten the lingo from reading the Fred Singer history and discussions, having become interested in the Wikipedia climate change situation by reading media accounts about it. He was tossing back, at the cabal,arguments that they had made in the other direction. Basically, the cabal has used every wikilawyering device to keep in weak material that they want, but when someone else uses the same arguments to keep in material they don't like, they are outraged. I've seen this again and again with them. It isn't at all about finding consensus, it's about winning. Hipocrite has become the most blatant and outrageous in this, far more outrageous than WMC ever was. But, of course, WMC used to use tools....

The article claims that he was desysopped for edits relating to Cold fusion. Actually, there was one edit under protection, but what did in his bit was blocking me in the middle of the RfAr, for editing cold fusion.
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

Group: Members
Member No.: 130

QUOTE(Abd @ Tue 1st June 2010, 9:20pm) *

... It appears that someone can accuse an editor of being a sock puppet and it becomes immediately legitimate to automatically revert anything the editor puts up.

A request for evidence was made, and it was said, no, we can't give evidence because that would teach the puppet master how to avoid detection. In other words, we have secret evidence, which boils down to, then, "I know one when I see one."

...The argument by Wordsmith is brilliant. He's claiming that we can block even though we don't know who the puppet master is. Since this actually rules out the use of personal behavioral evidence, all that's left is POV. People with "that POV" are obviously to be excluded.

This is how the "House POV" at Wikipedia is routinely enforced, and it has been the case for some time. WP:DUCK is unambiguous: there is such a thing as evidence, but we don't use that at Wikipedia. Any sort of due process would only play into the hands of the enemy. See also McWeenie.
+Quote Post
Abd

Postmaster

Aw, damn. Too long again! And no time to edit it down and no sufficient caring to do so either. Enjoy or don't. Tl;dr is perfectly acceptable, never has been otherwise.

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Wed 2nd June 2010, 11:04pm) *
... It appears that someone can accuse an editor of being a sock puppet and it becomes immediately legitimate to automatically revert anything the editor puts up.

A request for evidence was made, and it was said, no, we can't give evidence because that would teach the puppet master how to avoid detection. In other words, we have secret evidence, which boils down to, then, "I know one when I see one."

...The argument by Wordsmith is brilliant. He's claiming that we can block even though we don't know who the puppet master is. Since this actually rules out the use of personal behavioral evidence, all that's left is POV. People with "that POV" are obviously to be excluded.
This is how the "House POV" at Wikipedia is routinely enforced, and it has been the case for some time. WP:DUCK is unambiguous: there is such a thing as evidence, but we don't use that at Wikipedia. Any sort of due process would only play into the hands of the enemy. See also McWeenie.
Well, not Cool Hand Luke's finest hour, I'd say. Brilliant spoof, in fact. I don't know who was being "mocked." But that parody was right on. Moulton, moar song parodies! Moar! Moar!

It's quite true, I've seen it again and again. An editor appears, with an apparent POV that is sometimes clearly aligned with that of a banned user. Sometimes it actually is easily distinguishable by anyone who knows the topic, but to the members of the "SPOV" clique, everything different from what they understand sounds the same.... so someone who was apparently, from the content, a research scientist, posting as IP, was blocked by JzG as being "obviously" Jed Rothwell. Who had not been banned except by JzG. It was this kind of stuff that got me involved at Cold fusion, I believed like everyone else that "cold fusion" was a mistake made in 1989, definitely and thoroughly debunked, refuted, right?

The IP was from a different location not Rothwell's known location, and Jed Rothwell always signed his posts, the IP did not, and Rothwell is a philanthropist, writer, and "librarian," not a scientist. Not a "duck" at all! Nor were the editors now being "socked" showing characteristic Scibaby personality.

JzG went to ArbComm to get an opinion that Jed Rothwell should be banned because Pcarbonn had been banned, and it was obviously the same POV. ArbComm almost fell for it! Later, the few supportive noises made at the beginning were used by the cabal to claim that ArbComm had confirmed this idea of banning the POV. (Later, JzG claimed, starting a community ban discussion at AN for Pcarbonn, that Pcarbonn had been banned for his POV, and, since he clearly had the same POV, he should be banned again. JzG did not disclose his heavy prior involvement and long-term resentment (which came out in RfAr/Abd and JzG) against Pcarbonn. Hence Pcarbonn is now banned "by the community," based on highly deceptive statements by JzG and others. It wasn't mentioned that Pcarbonn had made no controversial edits to the article, and had simply suggested some sources in article Talk. POV is banned there, there is no doubt about it, and ArbComm effectively fell for appearances of "fringe POV-pushing" in topic-banning me. In fact, I never advocated that anything go in the article that wasn't based on the strongest sources, by policy. But I pointed out more than that in Talk, and it's still easy to believe that anyone who thinks that cold fusion is now respectable science must be a fringe POV-pusher, since it isn't, right?

Well, I suggest to anyone who thinks it isn't that they look for *recent* publications in peer-reviewed journals, and especially the supposed gold standard for science articles, peer-reviewed secondary sources. Negative secondary source hasn't appeared for years, and there is a relative flood of positive sources since the 2004 DoE review, which itself can be considered highly positive compared with 1989. And that's what the sources show. But who needs sources if you already know The Truth ™. JzG, see, has a friend who is a scientist, and who told him....

Now, what's happening today? At The Sock Puppet Investigation, nothing but the usual posturings and complaints. Clerk-certified on June 1, clearly causing continual disruption as Hipocrite screams "obvious socks" about more users, no checkuser has yet appeared, in a sign of community decay.

One of the alleged socks, at least, is still blocked on "obviously a sock" with no naming of the puppet master, which means that any newly registered editor who has the banned POV and who shows familiarity with WP jargon can now be blocked with no further ado. Never mind that, as another of these just unblocked by the Lone Ranger, er, Beetlebrox, claimed, a user can simply read the discussions that have raged for years on these pages, having come across this whole cabal thingie in major media and deciding to check it out, and who copies and pastes stuff from the past, editing it to make it apply in the other direction, and bingo! Obvious sock puppet!

I really enjoyed ClimateOracle's claim, on his Talk page, explaining what had happened with Atren, even if he is Scibaby. He used arguments taken from the cabal editors against them, and he was right. For years, they had been applying a double standard for material they liked vs material they didn't.

Was ClimateOracle disruptive? Maybe. The actual edit, though, was reasonable as an assertion, it was reasonably sourced. Might well not belong there for other reasons, perhaps WMC later retracted that statement -- in which case, presumably, there would be an equally reliable source in the other direction. This was sourced from WMC's own blog, which is generally considered reliable for this kind of purpose, since the article is about him. But to really make sound decisions about what goes in the article requires editorial consensus, and consensus there has been impossibly difficult for years, and I don't see that -- and didn't see that when I first started looking, and I *favor* the general SPOV on climate change -- as being the fault of the skeptical POV-pushers. It was, and remains, the activity of a handful of cabal editors who have worked together for years to maintain those articles the way they liked them. They used to have much more power, but gradually the community has realized what was going on.
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

QUOTE(Abd @ Thu 3rd June 2010, 10:54am) *

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Wed 2nd June 2010, 11:04pm) *

Well, not Cool Hand Luke's finest hour, I'd say. Brilliant spoof, in fact. I don't know who was being "mocked."
On the contrary, CHL knew exactly what he was doing. It's not exactly a state secret that Will Beback's RL name is "McWhinney" (see Hivemind.)
+Quote Post
Abd

Postmaster

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Thu 3rd June 2010, 5:27pm) *
QUOTE(Abd @ Thu 3rd June 2010, 10:54am) *
Well, not Cool Hand Luke's finest hour, I'd say. Brilliant spoof, in fact. I don't know who was being "mocked."
On the contrary, CHL knew exactly what he was doing. It's not exactly a state secret that Will Beback's RL name is "McWhinney" (see Hivemind.)
That's not "on the contrary." Not his finest hour. I am soooooooooo tempted to start socking. It looks like very much fun. But .... instead I'll just note what a lousy sense of humor even some of the best seem to have. I think Kool-Aid can do that to you, before the convulsions start in.
+Quote Post
Abd

Postmaster

permanent link to today's episode

Cool Hand Luke did, apparently, run CU on June 1, but wasn't certain of the results. He wrote he was waiting for a more experienced checkuser to look. But he labeled ClimateOracle and WavePart as "tentatively inconclusive." On the other hand, he confirmed Billmarrsx as Scibaby. This is low yield for a Scibaby page. Weakopedia is still open.

Look at BillMarrsx (T-C-L-K-R-D) , the contributions seem fairly typical for Scibaby. I.e., mostly innocuous! That one was added by Prolog, who claimed, after CHL tagged him, I've not been wrong yet." Got me to thinking. Who's been right and who has been wrong? That was an ID based on just two edits, one changing one word from "claimed" to "asserted." I kinda prefer asserted, myself, so did Scibaby.

Process here sucks. Clerk endorses, then Prolog adds new sock. Is that an approved investigation? All I see looking in the archives is "the usual." No specific evidence, not a reference to a set of standard characteristics, so what this boils down to is special trust in the editors filing the reports. But they are editors, many of them, known to have a huge axe to grind.

NuclearWinter sticks his foot in his mouth. CHL is suggesting that ClimateOracle should be unblocked, per AGF, like WavePart was already. NW -- who blocked WavePart, it was TOAT who blocked ClimateGuru -- objects.

Anyway, it occurs to me to look at who's been confirmed and who has not. I'll come back with that. Scibaby pops up regularly. Stephen Schulz says there have been "39 cases this year (so far), 17 cases last year." That's "cases." Each case may cover many socks.

And the purpose of all this is?

There is a place on the page for the accused to comment. Those are usually empty because it seems that it's SOP not to notify suspected Scibaby socks. After all, he may be checking that page, right? Why notify him? Well, if I have to answer that one for you, I'd recommend the cherry kool-aid.

ClimateOracle (T-C-L-K-R-D) doesn't seem to know yet about the SPI case, just commented on his Talk a short time ago. Wasn't notified. Now that he's been reasonably cleared (maybe another more experienced CU can come up with something clearer), you think somebody would tell him. He's still blocked for "abusing multiple accounts." With no identified account. There is no policy, there is just a bunch of kids (some old enough that they should know better) playing "in charge."

+Quote Post
NuclearWarfare

QUOTE(Abd @ Fri 4th June 2010, 1:45am) *
NuclearWinter sticks his foot in his mouth. CHL is suggesting that ClimateOracle should be unblocked, per AGF, like WavePart was already. NW -- who blocked WavePart, it was TOAT who blocked ClimateGuru -- objects.

ClimateOracle (T-C-L-K-R-D) doesn't seem to know yet about the SPI case, just commented on his Talk a short time ago. Wasn't notified. Now that he's been reasonably cleared (maybe another more experienced CU can come up with something clearer), you think somebody would tell him. He's still blocked for "abusing multiple accounts." With no identified account. There is no policy, there is just a bunch of kids (some old enough that they should know better) playing "in charge."

A number of things:

1) NuclearWarfare (T-C-L-K-R-D) , not NuclearWinter
2) It was The Wordsmith (T-C-L-K-R-D) and not myself who blocked WavePart
3) You're telling me that someone who starts out on Wikipedia editing William Connolley (T-H-L-K-D), with perfect working knowledge of Wikipedia policy, syntax, editing style, etc. is not a sockpuppet? Sure...

This post has been edited by NuclearWarfare:
+Quote Post
Abd

Postmaster

QUOTE(NuclearWarfare @ Thu 3rd June 2010, 10:03pm) *
A number of things:

1) NuclearWarfare (T-C-L-K-R-D) , not NuclearWinter
One follows the other.
My apologies. I've been looking at the archives, seeing how many false IDs there. I don't expect to find that many, Scibaby is often easy to spot. Except that now "Scibaby" sock identification is being used to go after anyone who seems to have climate change skeptic POV.
3) You're telling me that someone who starts out on Wikipedia editing William Connolley (T-H-L-K-D), with perfect working knowledge of Wikipedia policy, syntax, editing style, etc. is not a sockpuppet? Sure...
Well, sure. There are alternate explanations. I've known experienced editors, on the one hand, who decided to disappear an account *legitimately* and who then came back, obviously experienced. And then, of course, blocked and banned editors come back. It's even encouraged in policy, if they don't go back to the same areas they were blocked for.

It is not a blockable offense to have a new account that is able to edit with some skill.

I suggest you read Talk:ClimateOracle, and see if his story seems impossible. I do know that quite a few people are being attracted by media attention to the Wikipedia climate change flap. If CO read up on the history, reading talk pages and reviewing what others had done, it's quite plausible that he'd come up with what he'd come up with. The use of that kind of string of policy abbreviations I've seen from cabal editors.

And under all this is the insane amount of labor wasted over sock identification. It's necessary to deal with the edits anyway. What's being gained by all this "sock" mishegas?

It took me an amazing amount of time to just copy the names of accused socks out of the reports from January of this year, with the names of those who reported them, and note which ones were not confirmed. (Most, so far, have been confirmed. From what I've seen, this latest report was an almost total dud, would have been completely so if Prolog hadn't popped in with quite an amazing catch, an actual Scibaby sock based on two small edits. Lucky? Maybe. He claims no failures so far, and that's part of what I'm checking.

+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(NuclearWarfare @ Thu 3rd June 2010, 7:03pm) *

He said as much 2 days ago.

Perhaps, but why are you so easily provoked? Has it ever occurred to you that you might have banned at least one or two legitimate editors, in your manic zeal to stop Scibaby/whichever Evil One from editing those poor, innocent climate-change articles? Why do you put so much effort into this bullshit?

This post has been edited by EricBarbour:
+Quote Post
NuclearWarfare

I've known experienced editors, on the one hand, who decided to disappear an account *legitimately* and who then came back, obviously experienced. And then, of course, blocked and banned editors come back. It's even encouraged in policy, if they don't go back to the same areas they were blocked for.

It is not a blockable offense to have a new account that is able to edit with some skill.

If someone is returning only to make proactive edits in a controversial area, that would count as disruptive in my book.

QUOTE(Abd @ Fri 4th June 2010, 2:59am) *
I suggest you read Talk:ClimateOracle, and see if his story seems impossible. I do know that quite a few people are being attracted by media attention to the Wikipedia climate change flap. If CO read up on the history, reading talk pages and reviewing what others had done, it's quite plausible that he'd come up with what he'd come up with. The use of that kind of string of policy abbreviations I've seen from cabal editors.

I'm not buying it. The level of familiarity with the website is simply too high for such a new account. It's not merely the matter of being able to cite policy, but to do so as easily and quickly as CO does would be impossible for a new contributor. And indeed, the fact that they jumped immediately into disrupting one of the most wiki-political articles on the encyclopedia is enough to tip the circumstantial evidence to the "disruptive sockpuppet" stage.

This post has been edited by NuclearWarfare:
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

QUOTE(Abd @ Thu 3rd June 2010, 7:59pm) *

Well, that depends entirely on the POV involved.
+Quote Post
Abd

Postmaster

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Thu 3rd June 2010, 11:22pm) *
QUOTE(Abd @ Thu 3rd June 2010, 7:59pm) *
Well, that depends entirely on the POV involved.
Damn! You're right. I keep forgetting that the policies and guidelines are just suggestions, and are trumped by actual practice. Gets me in trouble every time, reading that propaganda about how Wikipedia is supposed to work. And it sounded so great.....

+Quote Post
Abd

Postmaster

QUOTE(NuclearWarfare @ Thu 3rd June 2010, 11:12pm) *
If someone is returning only to make proactive edits in a controversial area, that would count as disruptive in my book.
Let me get this straight, NW. An "established editor" who has been disruptive for years in that controversial area is fine. Allies of that editor who are disruptive with about every edit they make are just fine. But someone who goes away and comes back isn't okay?

Who owns the articles?

ClimateOracle has apparently been informed of the SPI case now, and intends to email ArbComm.

I'm not buying it. The level of familiarity with the website is simply too high for such a new account. It's not merely the matter of being able to cite policy, but to do so as easily and quickly as CO does would be impossible for a new contributor. And indeed, the fact that they jumped immediately into disrupting one of the most wiki-political articles on the encyclopedia is enough to tip the circumstantial evidence to the "disruptive sockpuppet" stage.
Funny, this is just a handful of edits. Now, if the article William M. Connolley is "one of the most wiki-political articles on the encyclopedia," and this flap is covered in media, and it is, you think it's suspicious that someone arrives and tries to edit it? As he wrote, "the encyclopedia that anyone can edit." That's the encyclopedia he was trying to edit. Seems you work for a different project.

You're welcome to it. You deserve what's coming to you.

Tenofalltrades has laid down the law:
Whether you are or are not a sockpuppet of Scibaby is irrelevant — as the blocking administrator, I can affirm that you were not blocked on that basis. Clearly, you are an experienced editor who created a new account in order to conceal your previous identity and edit the BLP of an individual who has been subject to extensive harrassment, and whose article is further covered by the climate change probation. You were given three choices: a) to acknowledge your previous account(s); b) to not edit in highly-controversial areas covered by general probations; or c) to be blocked. You chose c). If you believe that your block was based on a misidentification as Scibaby, you are wholly mistaken. TenOfAllTrades(talk) 02:46, 4 June 2010 (UTC)
Tenofalltrades now believes that he has the right and ability to lay down the law with respect to the climate change articles. I would not consider him a neutral administrator, based on his clear affiliations in the past. It's just what's being said here. Your right to edit Wikipedia depends on your POV.

Blatant disruption, repeated day after day, week after week, month after month. Fine. A suspiciously knowledgeable editor? Off with his head!
+Quote Post
NuclearWarfare

QUOTE(Abd @ Fri 4th June 2010, 4:02am) *

Funny, this is just a handful of edits. Now, if the article William M. Connolley is "one of the most wiki-political articles on the encyclopedia," and this flap is covered in media, and it is, you think it's suspicious that someone arrives and tries to edit it? As he wrote, "the encyclopedia that anyone can edit." That's the encyclopedia he was trying to edit. Seems you work for a different project.

A new account coming to the article on WMC would be fine. A new editor exhibiting all the characteristics of at best a returning editor or at worst a sockpuppeteer whose sole purpose is to disrupt the article? Somehow, I don't think that person needs to be editing the article.
+Quote Post
Abd

Postmaster

Because there are a number of admins involved here, I've lost track, sometimes, of who did what. NuclearWarfare did not block ClimateOracle, but is justifying the action of Tenofalltrades. Same principles apply.

QUOTE(NuclearWarfare @ Fri 4th June 2010, 9:37am) *
A new account coming to the article on WMC would be fine. A new editor exhibiting all the characteristics of at best a returning editor or at worst a sockpuppeteer whose sole purpose is to disrupt the article? Somehow, I don't think that person needs to be editing the article.
NW, basic problem: you are full of shit, basic misunderstanding of neutrality and what it means to be neutral.

You imagine you can mind-read the editor. "Sole purpose is to disrupt the article?" If the edits I saw showed that purpose, then you must have some idea of what a stable article should look like, and anything that disturbs this, even slightly, is "disruption." That's called a POV, NW.

Now, let me posit that what I think I've just shown isn't the case. Suppose you are neutral. Your position that the editor should not be editing the article is then acceptable. But why would it be enforced with an indef block when routine enforcement of sanctions there starts with warnings and then short blocks if the warning is ignored? Even arbitration enforcement isn't like what you did. Only bans of identified sock masters are treated like that.

Hence the lack of identification of a sock master is fatal to your justifications of the block, and could have at most justified a short block.

Excessive sanctions are a common sign of unrecognized involvement. People who are very much not neutral often think of themselves as neutral. But excess is a sign that this isn't true.

Based on this sequence, you should not be touching the articles or involved editors with admin tools. I think someone is likely to make that point before ArbComm. Do consider that. Your actions are more inflammatory and disruptive than the behavior you are trying to prevent.

Tenofalltrades' latest action is to shut down ClimateOracle's talk page access. He should definitely not have done that; it's chilling, and such a decision should always be made independently, because without this, the blocking admin also becomes the appeals judge, and the censor to boot. A complaint should be made about TOAT at the probation enforcement page. He clearly shouldn't be touching this.

My sense is that the cabal administrators are getting desperate. They are losing control.

And now WavePart has filed an RfAr naming, among others, NuclearWarfare, Tenofalltrades, Hipocrite, and The Wordsmith as parties. If nothing else, this may increase the fire under ArbComm to address the situation, it has been a long time coming. And the treatment of sock enforcement as a code word for banning POVs may be tossed in the trash.

Tenofalltrades, on his Talk page, is proving as obtuse as expected from my prior interaction with him. He's named in the RfAr. That was added by Polargeo, whose standing in my estimation has just skyrocketed. Clever trick, Polargeo, it worked.

Seriously, I make no fixed judgments of anyone. It's never too late to fix past errors -- if even they were errors. My problem with the overall administrative cabal is the tendency to circle the wagons and defend administrative actions that cause problems, when simply recognizing them as problems and self-policing would then make the situation better for everyone. Including abusive administrators. When unrestrained, they eventually become more extreme and burn out. Not fun.

+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Member No.: 3,670

QUOTE(Abd @ Fri 4th June 2010, 1:15pm) *
You imagine you can mind-read the editor.

I tripped over this sentence not because it's necessarily false (how would I know what another person imagines about yet another person's frame of mind), but because it commits the very offense that it condemns.

It's a subtle point, but one that I feel needs to be considered.

How can we deprecate the unbecoming practice of haphazardly hypothesizing another person's frame of mind without engaging in that very practice?

I imagine you might have some thoughts on the question, Abd. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)