FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Wikiversity Block Party -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wikiversity Block Party, Silencing the voice of dissent around the world
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 3,670

Here is the current draft of a section of the proposed Wkiversity Blocking Policy ...

QUOTE(Wikiversity Blocking Policy)
Discontinuation of disruption

Often blocks will occur for a specified amount of time ranging from hours to years. In some cases an indefinite block will be applied. Blocks for IP addresses must be done with care because often the disruptive editor is not the only person that will be affected.

Anyone may request that an unblock be made at any time. You may request an unblock on the effected user's talk page, the blocking Custodian's user talk page, at Wikiversity:Request custodian action, or at Wikiversity:Community Review. You should calmly and politely explain why disruption is no longer a concern. Unblocking may require that editors obey special provisions to ensure they discontinue their disruptive behavior. The blocking Custodian can participate in any discussion to unblock an editor, but any decision to deny the request must be made by other custodians.

The Wikiversity community can decide to unconditionally unblock an editor or to deny an unblock request. Custodians cannot block editors again for 30 days when the Wikiversity community has unconditionally unblocked an editor. Custodians must not unblock editors when the Wikiversity community has requested a block or denied an unblock request, unless the Wikiversity community reverses its decision.

As a result of a specific block against a single named account, several Wikiversity Custodians (including Mike Umbricht, Mike.lifeguard, and Adam Brookes) have, over a period lasting almost two years, extended that block to range blocks that currently include 70,000 Verizon IPs in Eastern Massachusetts, 8192 IPs at the MIT Media Lab, a Class C subnet at the Utah State University School of Journalism, and the entire IPv6 network of 2^128 addresses, worldwide, which connect to MWF servers via gateways operated by the SixXS Consortium.

Let's look at the consequences of those associated range blocks. We begin with a review of this relevant passage from the governing WMF Policy ...

QUOTE(WMF Policy)
The public and collaborative nature of the projects

All Projects of the Wikimedia Foundation are collaboratively developed by its users using the MediaWiki software. Anyone with Internet access (and not otherwise restricted from doing so) may edit the publicly editable pages of these sites with or without logging in as a registered user. By doing this, editors create a published document, and a public record of every word added, subtracted, or changed. This is a public act, and editors are identified publicly as the author of such changes. All contributions made to a Project, and all publicly available information about those contributions, are irrevocably licensed and may be freely copied, quoted, reused and adapted by third parties with few restrictions.

Does the proposed Wikiversity Blocking Policy, cited above, contravene applicable WMF Policy? May a local project abrogate the WMF commitment under its 501c3 charter without jeopardizing the 501c3 tax-free status of the WMF as characterized by the WMF Mission Statement and via associated filings with the IRS?

In order to obtain 501c3 non-profit status, WMF was obliged to make certain representations to the IRS, to the donors, and to the public. There are corresponding published guidelines such as the one cited above.

In the case of a breach in compliance with those representations, would the WMF would be justified in discontinuing a project that had departed from WMF Policies and Practices that exist to ensure compliance with the WMF Charter and Mission and with the promises the WMF made to the IRS, to the donors, and to the public?

That could well be the opinion of the IRS, and thus the opinion of the WMF Board. Do the Four Custodians of the Apocalypse wish to risk it?

Now, I personally have no objection to rogue sysops testing that possibility by knowingly departing from WMF policy and pledges associated with its 501c3 status. I would be a useful scientific experiment to test the competing hypotheses.

It occurs to me that, to the extent that a local project thumbs their nose at the WMF commitment, it either jeopardizes the 501c3 status of the WMF or (more likely) it jeopardizes the willingness of the WMF to allow an individual project to depart from the published mission and commitments to the IRS.

Are the Custodians of Wikiversity aware that IPv6 users around the world (mostly in Asia and India) are denied access because all IPv6 access to WMF servers funnels through the gateways operated by the SixXS Consortium?

Since the Enlgish Wikiversity blocks those gateways, it thereby blocks the entire IPv6 network.

There are many people in Third World countries who do not use named accounts because if they did, their governments would persecute them. So they edit as IPs to protect themselves from oppressive regimes.

If these dissidents were to use a named account, then the government only has to find but one IP match to identify someone who is critical of the regime. And then that one IP match connects the aurhor to all other writings from that named login.

Give it some thought. If you were in Iran, or North Korea, or China, would you want Adam Brookes helping those governments silence a voice of dissent?

This post has been edited by Moulton:
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

The Mission Statement of the Wikimedia Foundation, which is echoed on the WMF's annual filing with the IRS (Form 990) states:

QUOTE(WMF Mission Statement)
The mission of the Wikimedia Foundation is to empower and engage people around the world to collect and develop educational content under a free license or in the public domain, and to disseminate it effectively and globally.

In collaboration with a network of chapters, the Foundation provides the essential infrastructure and an organizational framework for the support and development of multilingual wiki projects and other endeavors which serve this mission. The Foundation will make and keep useful information from its projects available on the Internet free of charge, in perpetuity.

And yet, per the direction of Jimbo Wales (as understood and executed by Custodians of Wikiversity), the following content was summarily deleted from Wikiversity:

QUOTE(Content deleted per Cutodial interpretation of the directives of Jimbo Wales)
* 13:57, 15 December 2008 Darklama (Talk | contribs) deleted "User talk:Moulton/Archive" ‎ (Beyond scope)
* 13:55, 15 December 2008 Darklama (Talk | contribs) deleted "User talk:Moulton/Archive 8.9.14" ‎ (Beyond scope)
* 13:54, 15 December 2008 Darklama (Talk | contribs) deleted "User talk:Moulton/Ethic Models & Resource Links" ‎ (Beyond scope)
* 13:53, 15 December 2008 Darklama (Talk | contribs) deleted "User talk:Moulton/Meta-Wiki" ‎ (Beyond scope)
* 13:53, 15 December 2008 Darklama (Talk | contribs) deleted "User talk:Moulton/MetaArchive" ‎ (Beyond scope)
* 13:51, 15 December 2008 Darklama (Talk | contribs) deleted "User talk:Moulton/dnull1" ‎ (Beyond scope)
* 13:50, 15 December 2008 Darklama (Talk | contribs) deleted "User talk:Moulton/Mu" ‎ (Beyond scope)
* 13:49, 15 December 2008 Darklama (Talk | contribs) deleted "User talk:Moulton/NewYorkBrad's Principles" ‎ (Beyond scope)

How can links to scholarly resources on ethics be "beyond the scope" of study at Wikiversity?

How can NewYorkBrad's Principles of Due Process (from a recently concluded ArbCom case) be "beyond the scope" of study at Wikiversity?

And how can those deletions be squared with the WMF Mission (as committed to the IRS via Form 990) to "keep useful information from its projects available on the Internet free of charge, in perpetuity"?

Are NewYorkBrad's Principles of Due Process really not useful as material worth studying at Wikiversity?

+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

τὰ δέ μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,619

Duh!
+Quote Post
Adambro

Now here is a radical suggestion, if you actually do care about many others potentially being deprived of the ability to edit Wikiversity due to those blocks which are in place because you are unable to respect the block of User:Moulton; stop evading the block. That you continue to evade the block shows you don't really care, you just want to continue using Wikiversity as your own test laboratory to carry out your misguided social experiments.
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

QUOTE(Adambro @ Sun 1st August 2010, 12:31pm) *
Now here is a radical suggestion, if you actually do care about many others potentially being deprived of the ability to edit Wikiversity due to those blocks which are in place because you are unable to respect the block of User:Moulton; stop evading the block. That you continue to evade the block shows you don't really care, you just want to continue using Wikiversity as your own test laboratory to carry out your misguided social experiments.

Fair question, Adam. Here is a classical answer...

As you know, Adam, I am entirely powerless and voiceless on the English Wikiversity and on the associated IRC discussion channel. (Perhaps you can explain why.)

I do not respect the fundamental concept of blocking and banning as you (and other Custodians) have inexplicably introduced it into Wikiversity.

The reason I evade your foolish and ill-considered practices, Adam, is to enable you (and others like you) to understand why governance models, beginning with the very first secular laws ever carved onto stone tablets, right up through modern interpretations have eschewed the practice which you are so fond of employing.

QUOTE(Moulton to James Neill)
James, for the record, I've never asked to be unblocked. There are several reasons for this, some of which are subtle and not at all obvious to those who have not had long conversations with me. Here on WV, perhaps three or four people who know me reasonably well could faithfully articulate my reasons. I don't oppose a discussion about unblocking, and I am more than happy to participate in it, but not because I am seeking to be unblocked. To this day my objectives remain as I posted them on my user page three years ago — namely to promote accuracy, excellence, and ethics in online media. I can do that whether I am unblocked or not. Indeed some of my objectives are best served by creatively engaging in civil disobedience when I am subject to an out-of-process block or comparable Bill of Attainder. To my mind, these are worthwhile and timely learning projects that, happenstantially, tend to be most commonly introduced via liminal social drama (rather than via dull classroom lecture materials). JWS, PM, SBJ, Greg, and I have somewhat overlapping ideas on these issues, given that we've all been subject to Monarchial Bill of Attainder (out-of-process blocks by Jimbo Wales) and comparable shenanigans and machinations when Jimbo threatened to shut down Wikiversity if the Custodians did not do his bidding. He got away with it two years ago. Last March it backfired on him, and now the time has come for Truth and Reconciliation. Moulton 02:09, 21 July 2010 (UTC)

As I previously explained to User:Juandev...

QUOTE(Los Obliviados y Los Olvidados)
Los Obliviados y Los Olvidados

Why are you going around your block here Moulton?--Juandev 08:59, 10 January 2009 (UTC)

Why are you and other custodial agents of WMF arrogantly violating the First Law of Hammurabi here? Is it your express purpose to teach 21st Century youth to blithely dispense with four thousand years of education on substantive topics such as the Rule of Law, Due Process, Civil Rights, Scholarly Ethics, etc? Are these fundamental educational concepts beyond the scope and remit of Wikiversity and other WMF-sponsored projects? Is that what donors are funding in the name of a 501(‍c)(3)tax-exempt educational enterprise? —Barry Kort 14:29, 10 January 2009 (UTC)
+Quote Post
lilburne

Chameleon

QUOTE(Adambro @ Sun 1st August 2010, 5:31pm) *

about many others potentially being deprived of the ability to edit Wikiversity due to those blocks which are in place

And if he manages to get them to block your IP?
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

QUOTE(lilburne @ Sun 1st August 2010, 1:24pm) *
QUOTE(Adambro @ Sun 1st August 2010, 5:31pm) *
...about many others potentially being deprived of the ability to edit Wikiversity due to those blocks which are in place...
And if he manages to get them to block your IP?

Like Ottava before him, Adam can blithely unblock himself, thereby demonstrating his contempt for the notion of recusal.
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.
Member No.: 981

QUOTE(Moulton @ Sun 1st August 2010, 11:21am) *

QUOTE(Adambro @ Sun 1st August 2010, 12:31pm) *

Fair question, Adam. Here is a classical answer...

As you know, Adam, I am entirely powerless and voiceless on the English Wikiversity and on the associated IRC discussion channel. (Perhaps you can explain why.)

I do not respect the fundamental concept of blocking and banning as you (and other Custodians) have inexplicably introduced it into Wikiversity.

The reason I evade your foolish and ill-considered practices, Adam, is to enable you (and others like you) to understand why governance models, beginning with the very first secular laws ever carved onto stone tablets, right up through modern interpretations have eschewed the practice which you are so fond of employing.

QUOTE(Moulton to James Neill)
James, for the record, I've never asked to be unblocked. There are several reasons for this, some of which are subtle and not at all obvious to those who have not had long conversations with me. Here on WV, perhaps three or four people who know me reasonably well could faithfully articulate my reasons. I don't oppose a discussion about unblocking, and I am more than happy to participate in it, but not because I am seeking to be unblocked. To this day my objectives remain as I posted them on my user page three years ago — namely to promote accuracy, excellence, and ethics in online media. I can do that whether I am unblocked or not. Indeed some of my objectives are best served by creatively engaging in civil disobedience when I am subject to an out-of-process block or comparable Bill of Attainder. To my mind, these are worthwhile and timely learning projects that, happenstantially, tend to be most commonly introduced via liminal social drama (rather than via dull classroom lecture materials). JWS, PM, SBJ, Greg, and I have somewhat overlapping ideas on these issues, given that we've all been subject to Monarchial Bill of Attainder (out-of-process blocks by Jimbo Wales) and comparable shenanigans and machinations when Jimbo threatened to shut down Wikiversity if the Custodians did not do his bidding. He got away with it two years ago. Last March it backfired on him, and now the time has come for Truth and Reconciliation. Moulton 02:09, 21 July 2010 (UTC)

As I previously explained to User:Juandev...

QUOTE(Los Obliviados y Los Olvidados)
Los Obliviados y Los Olvidados

Why are you going around your block here Moulton?--Juandev 08:59, 10 January 2009 (UTC)

Why are you and other custodial agents of WMF arrogantly violating the First Law of Hammurabi here? Is it your express purpose to teach 21st Century youth to blithely dispense with four thousand years of education on substantive topics such as the Rule of Law, Due Process, Civil Rights, Scholarly Ethics, etc? Are these fundamental educational concepts beyond the scope and remit of Wikiversity and other WMF-sponsored projects? Is that what donors are funding in the name of a 501(‍c)(3)tax-exempt educational enterprise? —Barry Kort 14:29, 10 January 2009 (UTC)

I think you use the wrong formula to calculate the moral arc of civil disobedience, Moulton. The point is that your stand has to cost you something. It is the injustice of your willing loss at the hands of the people you seek to change that produces the change inside that opponent. By risking only inconsequential losses, such as an IP block or a website ban you fail to reach the required threshold to produce the desired impact. Worse by endless reiteration of this low risk confrontations you become seen as merely annoying. Got to take the fire hose, face the police dogs, stand up to the tank. Maybe the whole approach is wrong in the virtual world or maybe you can figure out how to up the stakes to a level that matters.
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Sun 1st August 2010, 1:41pm) *
I think you use the wrong formula to calculate the moral arc of civil disobedience, Moulton. The point is that your stand has to cost you something. It is the injustice of your willing loss at the hands of the people you seek to change that produces the change inside that opponent. By risking only inconsequential losses, such as an IP block or a website ban you fail to reach the required threshold to produce the desired impact. Worse by endless reiteration of this low risk confrontations you become seen as merely annoying. Got to take the fire hose, face the police dogs, stand up to the tank. Maybe the whole approach is wrong in the virtual world or maybe you can figure out how to up the stakes to a level that matters.

GBG, my stance costs me the opportunity to do what I value most — namely the opportunity to play a significant role as an impassioned and dedicated educator in an online learning community reaching out to serious and engaged learners of all ages around the world.

+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

QUOTE(Moulton @ Sun 1st August 2010, 12:52pm) *
GBG, my stance costs me the opportunity to do what I value most — namely the opportunity to play a significant role as an impassioned and dedicated educator in an online learning community reaching out to serious and engaged learners of all ages around the world.

My guess is that GBG meant that the cost would have to involve something that's universally seen as consequential, i.e., life, limb, freedom, or perhaps dignity (the latter of which isn't really compatible with WMF-project participation in general).

Maybe you're just living in the wrong era! You would have had better luck in the mid-17th Century, but of course there were no wikis then.
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

QUOTE(Somey @ Sun 1st August 2010, 2:26pm) *
QUOTE(Moulton @ Sun 1st August 2010, 12:52pm) *
My guess is that GBG meant that the cost would have to involve something that's universally seen as consequential, i.e., life, limb, freedom, or perhaps dignity (the latter of which isn't really compatible with WMF-project participation in general).

I'm 65 years old, so I don't have all that many years left to work on discovering the solution to a problem that's plagued all educators (not just science educators and not just me) — namely how to reach out to resistant and reluctant learners who are not particularly thrilled about how our existing education system operates.

QUOTE(Somey @ Sun 1st August 2010, 2:26pm) *
Maybe you're just living in the wrong era! You would have had better luck in the mid-17th Century, but of course there were no wikis then.

Well yeah. I had naively thought that we had completed the Age of Enlightenment and were poised to move forward into 21st Century Education without pausing for a banal interlude to lampoon long-forgotten anachronisms by means of a Post-Modern Theater of the Absurd.
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.

QUOTE(Moulton @ Sun 1st August 2010, 11:52am) *

Then risk that. Willingly let WV deprive you of that by their very own hands. Explain how important that is to you and then let them take it away from you. Don't evade the consequence. Suffer it gladly.

Don't confuse civil disobedience with guerrilla warfare.
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

GBG, I'm not doing Guerrilla Warfare.

I'm doing Guerrilla Theater.
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

QUOTE(Moulton @ Sun 1st August 2010, 12:49pm) *

GBG, I'm not doing Guerrilla Warfare.

I'm doing Guerrilla Theater.

Maybe but it not consistent with civil disobedience.
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Sun 1st August 2010, 2:52pm) *
GBG, I'm not doing Guerrilla Warfare. I'm doing Guerrilla Theater.
Maybe but it's not consistent with civil disobedience.

It is if Inspector Javert outlaws staging a comedic reprise of Les Miserables.
+Quote Post
TungstenCarbide

Allegedly shot down by stray Ukrainian missile

Group: Regulars

QUOTE(Moulton @ Sun 1st August 2010, 6:46pm) *
Well yeah. I had naively thought that we had completed the Age of Enlightenment and were poised to move forward into 21st Century Education ...

Na, we're still the same predator/gatherers from a hundred thousand years ago. We still form groups, in big scale and small scale, and these groups proceeded to kill each other and take their stuff. Murdering is a horrendous crime unless you do it for your group, in which case you are a war hero. Nothing changes, this is what we are.

In the grand scheme of things, has 10,000 years of organized education reduced warfare?

Out of all the countries that have been in existence for at least three generations, what percentage haven't been in a war during that time, Moulton?

This post has been edited by TungstenCarbide:
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

QUOTE(Moulton @ Sun 1st August 2010, 12:54pm) *

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Sun 1st August 2010, 2:52pm) *
GBG, I'm not doing Guerrilla Warfare. I'm doing Guerrilla Theater.
Maybe but it's not consistent with civil disobedience.

It is if Inspector Javert outlaws staging a comedic reprise of Les Miserables.

What you do with blocked IP ranges, socks and other "guerrilla theater" tacits are a little like something described by Ché Guevara in Guerrilla Warfare. I think it is called a Repression-Resistance Spiral. You preform a prohibited act but in a hit and run fashion without clearly identifying yourself. They respond by acting against a whole segment of the population believing that it will include the wrong doers. The guerrilla then uses that segment as a base of recruitment to the cause. So getting them to make the range block is a partial success. Now the test is can you "recruit" among those also blocked? I don't see any evidence of that so far.

But this far away from civil disobedience.
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

QUOTE(TungstenCarbide @ Sun 1st August 2010, 3:22pm) *
In the grand scheme of things, has 10,000 years of organized education reduced warfare?

On the contrary, we've learned how to make it more violent than ever.

QUOTE(TungstenCarbide @ Sun 1st August 2010, 3:22pm) *
Out of all the countries that have been in existence for at least three generations, what percentage haven't been in a war during that time, Moulton?

I guess Antarctica doesn't actually count as a country, does it?

How about Cloud Cuckooland? Doest that count?
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

Nice.

Would you give permission to have that quote copied into, say, an essay about the subject for future use?

I find it true mostly in that Moulton is making straw men martyrs (people who are also "affected") instead of suffering from pain himself, or any real pain. Plus, Civil Disobedience (ala Thoreau) would require you to -go- to jail and abide by the sentence while stating that you are disobeying because the law is wrong (thus, accepting the law's ramification while stating that it is inappropriate). Moulton hasn't abided by his ban/punishment at all.

Instead, he is more of a Nation of Islam "By Any Means Necessary" or Weather Underground type of action - terrorist like activity in order to fight an unjust enemy because you determined someone was unjust (and thus applied that it must be a universal feeling).

Hell, Moulton could have been able to do whatever he wanted if he would have just stopped using people's real identities on the site. What a horrifying punishment. I would love terms as easy as that.
+Quote Post
ulsterman

Group: Inactive

QUOTE(TungstenCarbide @ Sun 1st August 2010, 8:22pm) *

There are a few. There is Switzerland, of course, which has been neutral since 1815. The Irish Republic has not been in a war (other than internal civil wars) since it came into existence. Spain has not been in a war since the Spanish-American War (other than internal civil wars).
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

QUOTE(Ottava @ Sun 1st August 2010, 5:09pm) *
I find it true mostly in that Moulton is making straw men martyrs (people who are also "affected") instead of suffering from pain himself, or any real pain. Plus, Civil Disobedience (ala Thoreau) would require you to -go- to jail and abide by the sentence while stating that you are disobeying because the law is wrong (thus, accepting the law's ramification while stating that it is inappropriate). Moulton hasn't abided by his ban/punishment at all.

One doesn't have to be a masochist to engage in civil disobedience.

Get this straight, Jeffrey. I am not into bondage and discipline. That may be your thing, but it's not mine.

My case is closer to that of Jean Valjean (who did escape from unjust confinement). Thoreau only spent a night in jail. You might recall that Wales decreed an infinite sentence for the crime of writing atrocious song parodies and publishing them on an obscure external blog that no one but IDCab ever looked at.

Jeff, if you insist on converting a 501(‍c)(3) donor-funded educational project into a B&D Fetish site, then I do intend to call you out on it, and by your real name, sir.

Have I made myself clear?

+Quote Post
The Joy

I am a millipede! I am amazing!

Group: Members
Member No.: 982

QUOTE(ulsterman @ Sun 1st August 2010, 5:17pm) *

QUOTE(TungstenCarbide @ Sun 1st August 2010, 8:22pm) *

There are a few. There is Switzerland, of course, which has been neutral since 1815. The Irish Republic has not been in a war (other than internal civil wars) since it came into existence. Spain has not been in a war since the Spanish-American War (other than internal civil wars).

Not to take your mike away from you, but that's not completely true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rif_War_%281920%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ifni_War

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perejil_Island_crisis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Legion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Legion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_army#Operations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Army#Pe...eeping_Missions
+Quote Post
Eva Destruction

Fat Cat

QUOTE(ulsterman @ Sun 1st August 2010, 10:17pm) *

Spain has not been in a war since the Spanish-American War (other than internal civil wars).

But yeah, aside from that…

This post has been edited by Eva Destruction:
+Quote Post
tarantino

the Dude abides

QUOTE(Ottava @ Sun 1st August 2010, 9:09pm) *
Moulton hasn't abided by ⋯

According to the wikimedia foundation's terms of use, which is linked to on every wikiversity page, Moulton only has to abide by the CC-BY-SA license. As far as I can see, he isn't doing anything illegal, unethical, immoral or against the terms of use.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

QUOTE(Moulton @ Sun 1st August 2010, 2:46pm) *

I'm 65 years old, so I don't have all that many years left to work on discovering the solution to a problem that's plagued all educators (not just science educators and not just me) — namely how to reach out to resistant and reluctant learners who are not particularly thrilled about how our existing education system operates.

I don't know why, but that statement brought this to mind:

+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Sun 1st August 2010, 4:00pm) *

QUOTE(ulsterman @ Sun 1st August 2010, 10:17pm) *

Spain has not been in a war since the Spanish-American War (other than internal civil wars).
But yeah, aside from that…

Spanish Civil War, the full dress rehearsal for WWII. The Republic fought Italian and German forces supporting the Fascists including air forces. Soviets and Mexico sent advisors and material support to the Republic. The West blockaded both sides dooming the Republic. Not to mention the International Brigades. It was hardly an internal matter. The losses were huge.
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Sun 1st August 2010, 3:29pm) *

They respond by acting against a whole segment of the population believing that it will include the wrong doers. The guerrilla then uses that segment as a base of recruitment to the cause. So getting them to make the range block is a partial success. Now the test is can you "recruit" among those also blocked? I don't see any evidence of that so far.

Could be because so few Internet users give a fig about editing backwater sites like Wikiversity.
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

QUOTE(thekohser @ Sun 1st August 2010, 8:31pm) *

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Sun 1st August 2010, 3:29pm) *

They respond by acting against a whole segment of the population believing that it will include the wrong doers. The guerrilla then uses that segment as a base of recruitment to the cause. So getting them to make the range block is a partial success. Now the test is can you "recruit" among those also blocked? I don't see any evidence of that so far.

Could be because so few Internet users give a fig about editing backwater sites like Wikiversity.

I think that's right.
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

QUOTE(tarantino @ Sun 1st August 2010, 6:36pm) *
According to the wikimedia foundation's terms of use, which is linked to on every wikiversity page, Moulton only has to abide by the CC-BY-SA license. As far as I can see, he isn't doing anything illegal, unethical, immoral or against the terms of use.

From the Terms of Use page...

QUOTE(Wikimedia Foundation Vision Statement)
Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment. — Wikimedia Foundation Vision Statement

See, you have to imagine it, because it doesn't actually obtain.
+Quote Post
ulsterman

Group: Inactive

QUOTE(The Joy @ Sun 1st August 2010, 10:58pm) *

This is an interesting problem of definitions. For example, the WP article on Switzerland says

"Switzerland being a neutral country, its army does not take part in armed conflicts in other countries. However, over the years, the Swiss army has been part of several peacekeeping missions around the world."

Is sending peacekeepers regarded as synonymous with declaring war on another country, or being invaded by them? If so, I concede that few if any countries have not been at war in the last 60 or so years. Still, it seems a crazy definition to me.

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Sun 1st August 2010, 11:00pm) *

The Infi War and Western Sahara War were internal hence count as civil wars.
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

It begs the definition of war, although to my mind, it's not war unless the blood of innocents is shed, where the innocents include children whose parents are not warriors.

Somewhere out there, in WikiQuoteLand, you will find the saying, "War is Hell."

"Hell" is a very scary (and very old-fashioned) word. In the Old Testament, "Hell" is called "She'ol" (which literally means "pit"). The modern mathematical abstraction is "an untamed recursion" but I daresay few readers have the requisite depth in mathematics to appreciate how to model Hell as an untamed recursion.

The problem for the Swiss is the challenge of peace-making without resorting to violence in the process. It's the same problem that Jesus tried to solve some 2000 years ago. I doubt the Passion Play was very much fun for Christ, who had to endure the tortures of bondage and discipline at the hands of the Romans and teh communiteh. On the Internet, it's not exactly a fargenigen to reprise the role of Caprice, the Fantastic Flying Scape-Goat for Azazel. But, still, it works better for me as a musical.
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Meantime, back at the ranch...

So Abd blocked Ottava for being incivil to SB_Johnny, whereupon Ottava immediatly retaliated by unsponsoring Abd (thereby abruptly terminating Abd's probationary Custodianship).

So Abd starts over again to see if there is another Custodian willing to act as a sponsoring mentor.

Adam then grills Abd...

QUOTE(Adam and Abd)
Discussion full custodian

Question Could you clarify the status of your relationship with Moulton? Have you met with him in real life or arranged to do so? Adambro 17:38, 2 August 2010 (UTC)

I attempted to meet with him once when I was in Boston for a colloquium, it fell through. There is no current arrangement to meet, but I do hope to meet with him relatively soon. My goal is to negotiate some settlement with him that would be acceptable both to him and to the Wikiversity community. I don't know if that's possible, but we will never know if we don't try, and I'm willing to put personal time into it. The result could save a whole boatload of disruption. If it fails, things won't be worse! Thanks for asking. --Abd 18:29, 2 August 2010 (UTC)

Thanks for the clarification. I know you feel strongly about avoiding conflict of interests and so it seemed relevant since you've been involved to some degree with dealing with Moulton on-wiki and I became aware of a suggestion that you two might have arranged to meet. Regarding Moulton, my view is that he has shown he isn't really interested in negotiating and so I don't think we should keep trying, I don't think it is necessarily true that more failed attempts won't make things worse. As far as I am aware, Diego was mostly responsible for inviting Moulton to create the account Caprice and as far as I can tell, that effort provided a further demonstration of why his block is appropriate. However, it also seemed to reignite the Moulton situation and prompt him to make sustained attempts to evade his block and involve himself in community discussions. As I understand it, Moulton wasn't very active in evading his block recently before Diego's involvement. I'd suggest that Diego's failed attempts to negotiate with Moulton have caused disruption. I would therefore suggest that we shouldn't keep trying to negotiate if nothing seems to change and it would have been preferable to have had a proper community discussion about Moulton before these attempts to negotiate with Moulton were commenced. Adambro 18:54, 2 August 2010 (UTC)

Thanks, Adambro. My work with Moulton does not depend on my being a custodian.

You might notice that I also blocked Caprice at one point, and assisted you in reverting Moulton IP for a time. I disagree with your opinion about the wisdom of negotiation, and your attitude and approach, if continued, is pretty much guaranteed to continue disruption as an institution. I don't think I used tools outside of a reasonable effort to test the waters, and, if you will look at what actually happened during the brief unblock period that you terminated without any misbehavior after unblock, Moulton was relatively cooperative and civil. However, there had been no unblock agreement, so "failure" at that point was quite a reasonable possibility, so I was watching closely. The problem with Diego's unblock is that it was unconditional, apparently, and thus predictably failed. Against this, Adambro, is the fact that maintaining the block against a determined and experienced user takes constant effort, maintained, possibly, over years, and, involving range blocks and page protections, causes collateral damage. A little test, closely watched, is nothing compared to that. Obviously, I cannot make any agreement with Moulton as a representative of the community, but only individually, whether I'm a custodian or not, unless I'm authorized by the community, which I'm not. I'm an "ad hoc representative" of an "imputed or anticipated consensus" that may not exist yet. I would bring any agreement here for community approval. You also have to see that from Moulton's POV, being blocked is not a bad thing, it allows him to toy with you, taunt you, play cat and mouse games, and demonstrate abusive sysopping by tempting you to become excessive. Definitely a problem, Adambro, but the question is how to resolve it. Punishment doesn't work, period.

The situation of Moulton is quite complex, to truly examine it would take a lot of words. The situation of Thekohser (alternate account: Ethical Accountability} is simpler; there, you have been blocking based on what community consensus? I've asked you, you only came up with vague off-wiki claims. I unblocked directly, after making sure that Thekohser was willing to try to cooperate, and was reversed by you, again without actual misbehavior and, indeed, the reverse. You have also blocked Thekohser IP without disruption appearing from that IP, nothing requiring sysop action (that's the whole idea of personally identified, self-reverted edits, no blocking necessary to keep unreviewed comment out from a blocked editor). I consider that you are in violation of policy in some of the blocks, but, hey, one thing at a time. I've also seen you as flexible, willing to consider other ways, and I hope that can continue. The real problem here is the lack of effective community supervision and guidance of custodians. --Abd 19:20, 2 August 2010 (UTC)

Adam...

Come let us reason together.

+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

QUOTE(Moulton @ Mon 2nd August 2010, 6:32am) *

The problem for the Swiss is the challenge of peace-making without resorting to violence in the process.

Oh no...not another smack against the Swiss! First this guy got into the act:

QUOTE(Moulton @ Mon 2nd August 2010, 3:23pm) *

Adam then grills Abd...

I like my Abd grilled medium rare! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/evilgrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Ottava Rima has now launched a putsch against Wikiversity Bureaucrat, James T. Neill.
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(Moulton @ Fri 6th August 2010, 12:41pm) *
Ottava Rima has now launched a putsch against Wikiversity Bureaucrat, James T. Neill.

And so far, it's not going too well for Ottava.

I wonder if we should take bets on when Ottava will attack Darklama, then Adambro.
He's going mad, and dragging WV down the booby hatch with him.
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Fri 6th August 2010, 5:21pm) *

I wonder if we should take bets on when Ottava will attack Darklama, then Adambro.

Going bad for who? And why would I attack anyone?

And if you notice, there is nothing there that asks for Jtneill's cratship. Abd's time at Wikiversity is done. Diego/Mister Wiki actually looks great in comparison. It was a feat only Abd could accomplish. JWS is pretty much ignored and done. Moulton is still banned. Thekohser had his chance blown by Abd's screw ups.

Nothing has really changed.

By the way, come to the IRC room sometime if you want to talk to the community. Then, maybe, you would see the real side of things.
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(Ottava @ Fri 6th August 2010, 2:39pm) *
By the way, come to the IRC room sometime if you want to talk to the community. Then, maybe, you would see the real side of things.

Thank you, sir, but I think not.
I'm not really into Psychiatric BDSM.
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

The Final Absolution

Now, if you're blue
And you don't know where to go to
Why don't you go where Ottava sits
Putsch is on the fritz

QUOTE(Ottava @ Fri 6th August 2010, 5:39pm) *
I wonder if we should take bets on when Ottava will attack Darklama, then Adambro. He's going mad, and dragging WV down the booby hatch with him.
Abd's time at Wikiversity is done. Nothing has really changed.

Mine ears have heard the story with the strumming of the chord:
Whilst galumphing through the Wiki where the Jimbo Juice is stored;
Abd's loosed the dread banhammer upon Ottava's deft word:
His Juice is marching on.

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Fri 6th August 2010, 5:46pm) *
Thank you, sir, but I think not. I'm not really into Psychiatric BDSM.

Hah. Adam has blocked 70,000 IPs in four domains in three states plus the entire IPv6 network worldwide.

B&D a fargenigen
Adambro men ken a bootkick krigen
A schnook, a Kort, a silent scream
Brengt areyn dayn klenem zing.

(Cut Speech.)
+Quote Post
SB_Johnny

It wasn't me who made honky-tonk angels

Going?

Going?

Gone.

And if you notice, there is nothing there that asks for Jtneill's cratship. Abd's time at Wikiversity is done. Diego/Mister Wiki actually looks great in comparison. It was a feat only Abd could accomplish. JWS is pretty much ignored and done. Moulton is still banned. Thekohser had his chance blown by Abd's screw ups.

He baneth the trolls on the wikis, he fighteth the trolls on WR, he fighteth on the irc channels and mailinglists, he fighteth on the blogs skypeth the loyal followers of the almighty Jimbo.

And so, having valiantly shamed the last of the meddlesome academics and vanquished his demonic critics, Lord Ottava declares "mission accomplished!", and leads his saintly followers down the noble path of making Wikiversity quiet and contributor-free.

Almighty Jimbo, surely, will see that it is good, and ready his angels for another closure vote.

(We need a calligraphy font).
+Quote Post
Zoloft

May we all find solace in our dreams.

Member No.: 16,621

QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Fri 6th August 2010, 3:45pm) *

He banneth the trolls on the wikis, he fighteth the trolls on WR, he fighteth on the irc channels and mailinglists, he fighteth on the blogs and skypeth the loyal followers of the almighty Jimbo.

And so, having valiantly shamed the last of the meddlesome academics and vanquished his demonic critics, Lord Ottava declares "mission accomplished!", and leads his saintly followers down the noble path of making Wikiversity quiet and contributor-free.

Almighty Jimbo surely will see that it is good, and ready his angels for another closure vote.

I dunno... A certain amount of illumination is available. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif)

This post has been edited by Zoloft:
+Quote Post
CharlotteWebb

Postmaster General

QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Fri 6th August 2010, 10:45pm) *

You can put whatever you want in the font tag, but it will only do much good if everyone has a font by that name on their own system.

To wit:
CODE
[font=whatever]LOL[/font]
becomes:
CODE
<span style="font-family:whatever"><!--/fonto-->LOL<!--fontc--></span>

Unfortunately, this only works for single fonts. You cannot specify an order of font precedence as described here as the forum software plucks out commas for some reason.
+Quote Post
SB_Johnny

QUOTE(Zoloft @ Fri 6th August 2010, 7:30pm) *

QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Fri 6th August 2010, 3:45pm) *

He banneth the trolls on the wikis, he fighteth the trolls on WR, he fighteth on the irc channels and mailinglists, he fighteth on the blogs and skypeth the loyal followers of the almighty Jimbo.

Almighty Jimbo surely will see that it is good, and ready his angels for another closure vote.

I dunno... A certain amount of illumination is available. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif)

Thanks, that works!

QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Fri 6th August 2010, 7:46pm) *

You can put whatever you want in the font tag, but it will only do much good if everyone has a font by that name on their own system.

Well, I'm a mac user, so probably my fint names won't work for most people.
+Quote Post
SB_Johnny

It will be interesting to see the reaction to this rather wise edit by Mr. Privatemusings. Will the Armies of the Godking be summoned once again?
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Well, at least it's not his Belly Button

QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Sat 7th August 2010, 6:49am) *
It will be interesting to see the reaction to this rather wise edit by Mr. Privatemusings. Will the Armies of the Godking be summoned once again?

How interesting is it to watch Adam Brookes play with his Rollback Button?
+Quote Post
SB_Johnny

I wonder if JWS figured out how to sabotage the rollback button.

Due to high database server lag, changes newer than 1,716 seconds may not be shown in this list.

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Sat 7th August 2010, 7:21am) *
QUOTE(Lag B'Ummer)
Due to high database server lag, changes newer than 1,716 seconds may not be shown in this list.
(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)

It's not just the server that's a laggard.
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

The Wikiversity Block Party is in High Dudgeon tonight.

Anyone wanna go Dudgeoneering?
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Sat 7th August 2010, 3:45am) *

Now hear this. Times New Roman and Arial are now banned. You vill use Helvetica, und you vill like it.

Der Typographer
+Quote Post
SB_Johnny

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sun 8th August 2010, 9:29pm) *

QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Sat 7th August 2010, 3:45am) *

Now hear this. Times New Roman and Arial are now banned. You vill use Helvetica, und you vill like it.

Der Typographer

What about Comic Sans MS? The universal font of the "friendly note"!
+Quote Post
Cock-up-over-conspiracy

Now censored by flckr.com and who else ... ???

QUOTE(Moulton @ Mon 9th August 2010, 12:29am) *

If the high dudgeon if full, you can always stick them in the lower dudgeon with all the other mad women and heretics ... or is my nose just too blocked to be pronouncing punishments?

I have no idea what this is all about ... but, for God's sake, what would any Wikipedia project be without idiocy reigning and someone spuriously blocking someone else.

The peasants are revolting, Sire.
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sun 8th August 2010, 9:29pm) *

Der Typographer

Arial bombing will start in 15 minutes. —Ronny Raygun
+Quote Post
SB_Johnny

QUOTE(Cock-up-over-conspiracy @ Sun 8th August 2010, 9:53pm) *

QUOTE(Moulton @ Mon 9th August 2010, 12:29am) *

If the high dudgeon if full, you can always stick them in the lower dudgeon with all the other mad women and heretics ... or is my nose just too blocked to be pronouncing punishments?

I have no idea what this is all about ... but, for God's sake, what would any Wikipedia project be without idiocy reigning and someone spuriously blocking someone else.

What's so interesting about this case (today's version, anyway), is that they (and Ottava in particular) seem to be saying that since there's no blocking policy, we can block at will..

Not that JWSchmidt isn't fully capable of annoying the pants off of a person, but the excuses are getting rather lame. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Rime and Punishment

Ottavion Adambromovich Raskolnikov

Ottavion Adambromovich Raskolnikov is a young ex-student of letters, law, and lust living in extreme poverty in St Jimboland. He lives in a tiny backwater where he rants, although due to a lack of fun has been avoiding learning for quite some time (he claims the gloom aggravates his depression). He acts like a grouch using old papers as a dildofap, and due to lack of motivation studies very rarely, although the neighbors sometimes send their sockpuppets into his quarters with food for thought. He is frequently referred to as a former student because he doesn't have the desire to finish his education. Spiritually, physically (due to lack of outdoor exercise) and emotionally disstressed, his behaviour in public becomes progressively more erratic through the drama as madness gradually consumes him. Raskolnikov fluctuates between extremes of altruism and inexplicable antipathy. He is described by his acquaintences as "extremely blue" and many other observers in the dark state that he is very intelligent, but tragiclly misguided.

In The Crime of the Ancient Mariner, Raskolnikov kiboshes an Albatross with a banhammer he keeps in the janitor's hall closet, with the intention of baleeting its cries for good cause, based on a theory he had developed of the "bad actor" (often misunderstood as similar to the Übertroll of Kitsche [dubious – discuss]).

In one famous rant, Raskolnikov cries out, "Good God! Can it be, can it be, that I shall ritually take a banhammer, that I shall strike the Albatross on the block, split its skill asunder ... that I shall tread in the icky dark slum, break the peace, steal and tremble; hide, all spattered in the crud ... with the banhammer ... Good God, can it be?"

[Source: "The Scream of a Ridiculous Man" by Fyodor Moultonevsky]

+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

The Power of Babel

Meanwhile, back at Beta.Wikiversity...

QUOTE(Beta.Wikiversity Babel)
User:Moulton/User:JWSchmidt

Moulton's account is globally locked for various reasons. I note recently that JWSchmidt has used his bureaucrat rights to rename Moulton to Barsoom and then back again which has resulted in Moulton's local account being detached from his global account and the global lock. This means that Moulton can now edit here. As far as I am aware there has been no discussion here about this quite unconventional sequence of events and I'm also concerned that JWSchmidt is apparently turning a blind eye to Moulton using this project to document disputes on other projects. As far as I can tell, all of his contributions since he was "unblocked" here on 23 July 2010 have related to disputes elsewhere rather than relating to using Beta as "a multilingual hub for the coordination of Wikiversity projects in different languages".

I am therefore concerned both that JWSchmidt took such unconventional steps to get around Moulton's global lock with apparently no discussion and also that now Moulton is able to edit, he appears to simply want to use Beta as an alternative to the English Wikiversity and just document and comment on disputes there. I would ask that we could discuss the reasons for JWSchmidt taking this action but I'd also ask that he remind Moulton that Beta shouldn't be used in this way.

—Adambro 11:20, 9 August 2010 (UTC)

Adam, in accordance with the tradition initially set forth some 3770 years ago in the Second Law of Hammurabi, may I respectfully request that you go jump in the lake. —Moulton 14:23, 9 August 2010 (UTC)
+Quote Post
JWSchmidt

QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Sun 8th August 2010, 9:04pm) *

Not that JWSchmidt isn't fully capable of annoying the pants off of a person

When a sysop has no clothes it is really only a matter of holding up a mirror and showing that the pants were never there.
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Posted on Adambro's talk page on Beta.Wikiversity...

QUOTE(Note to Adambro)
Tampering with the data in another scholar's study

Adam, you have tampered with the data in fellow scholar's study.

It is a serious breach of Scholarly Ethics to tamper with the data in a fellow scholar's work. Moreover, you have tampered with the text of a signed affidavit in a scholarly review of an historic conflict, dating back some three years — a notable conflict which is still being studied by one of your fellow scholars on the English Wikiversity.

Note that just last week, William Connolley was indef blocked on the English Wkipedia for simply inserting a signed sub-comment inside the text of another editor's comment on an ordinary talk page. Here you have altered the text of another editor, and done so in a context that corrupts the integrity of the study being undertaken by User:JWSchmidt.

Moulton 12:34, 22 August 2010 (UTC)
+Quote Post
Abd

Postmaster

Member No.: 9,019

QUOTE(Moulton @ Sun 22nd August 2010, 8:44am) *
Posted on Adambro's talk page on Beta.Wikiversity...

QUOTE(Note to Adambro)
Tampering with the data in another scholar's study

Adam, you have tampered with the data in fellow scholar's study.

It is a serious breach of Scholarly Ethics to tamper with the data in a fellow scholar's work. Moreover, you have tampered with the text of a signed affidavit in a scholarly review of an historic conflict, dating back some three years — a notable conflict which is still being studied by one of your fellow scholars on the English Wikiversity.

Note that just last week, William Connolley was indef blocked on the English Wkipedia for simply inserting a signed sub-comment inside the text of another editor's comment on an ordinary talk page. Here you have altered the text of another editor, and done so in a context that corrupts the integrity of the study being undertaken by User:JWSchmidt.

Moulton 12:34, 22 August 2010 (UTC)

Oh, Moulton, can it. I'll deal with that problem. Adambro has not done what you have said, it was done long ago by what's his face, that Chihuahua. Adambro is just reverting an edit from a blocked editor, without review, it's routine. You might notice that I also reverted the same edit previously. Difference: I'll review the edit for the substance and fix the problem, which actually, I believe, is not difficult. Shame it wasn't done two years ago, but Wikiversity governance was incompetent or, more accurately, immature.

In other words, Adambro is procedurally correct to revert. I've told you, you can spare the disruption by making those edits and reverting them yourself, you will get the same result without creating an impression of yourself as disruptive. And you area, of course, totally correct in that it was beyond the pale to alter your "testimony." We don't get to do that. They could delete it, or warn or block you for it, but they can't -- ethically -- alter it. And that's so effing obvious that it's amazing it stood for so long. What they have done is to prevent you from correcting your own testimony. It's not -- yet -- worth going to OTRS over, and OTRS would probably say that the difference is academic, i.e., you aren't actually being libelled by the alteration. And I might ask you why you are so exercised over the matter, when it could have been easily fixed to answer the *legitimate portion* of the objection, but ... hey, it would be a question, not a command.

And I think I know the answer. You have been, for two years, making a point. It's actually a good point. An important point. Now what? Making points, over and over, is just playing a game. How can we make decisions?

What I'll do today will just be a temporary measure. To proceed, that project is going to need much better setup and guidelines. JWS was incompetent to do this, as I think you know, so someone else will have to do it, and we might get the cooperation of Thekohser, I'll ask him to look into it. Into guidelines, not case studies! He -- and maybe me, to boot -- will get blocked, if he goes there without the preparation having been completed, with consensus for it.

This post has been edited by Abd:
+Quote Post
Abd

Postmaster

QUOTE(Moulton @ Mon 9th August 2010, 10:41am) *

The Power of Babel

Meanwhile, back at Beta.Wikiversity...

QUOTE(Beta.Wikiversity Babel)
User:Moulton/User:JWSchmidt

Moulton's account is globally locked for various reasons. I note recently that JWSchmidt has used his bureaucrat rights to rename Moulton to Barsoom and then back again which has resulted in Moulton's local account being detached from his global account and the global lock. This means that Moulton can now edit here. As far as I am aware there has been no discussion here about this quite unconventional sequence of events and I'm also concerned that JWSchmidt is apparently turning a blind eye to Moulton using this project to document disputes on other projects. As far as I can tell, all of his contributions since he was "unblocked" here on 23 July 2010 have related to disputes elsewhere rather than relating to using Beta as "a multilingual hub for the coordination of Wikiversity projects in different languages".

I am therefore concerned both that JWSchmidt took such unconventional steps to get around Moulton's global lock with apparently no discussion and also that now Moulton is able to edit, he appears to simply want to use Beta as an alternative to the English Wikiversity and just document and comment on disputes there. I would ask that we could discuss the reasons for JWSchmidt taking this action but I'd also ask that he remind Moulton that Beta shouldn't be used in this way.

—Adambro 11:20, 9 August 2010 (UTC)

Adam, in accordance with the tradition initially set forth some 3770 years ago in the Second Law of Hammurabi, may I respectfully request that you go jump in the lake. —Moulton 14:23, 9 August 2010 (UTC)

Way cool. The lake is cool. And jumping is cool. And going to User talk:Adambro on Wikiversity may be cool as well. I'm going to jump in, and see what the water feels like.
+Quote Post
Abd

Postmaster

QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Sat 7th August 2010, 6:49am) *

So far, not. We have evidence that Mike.lifeguard is lobbying furiously off-wiki, all over the place, to counterattack the Upstart Army, which is actually just the whole damn WMF community, represented by a few here and there, for the Army is mostly asleep, as usual. Wake it up, watch out!

The GodKing has many minions, but he isn't interested in stupid revolutionary wars, when his critical interests can be satisfied by a simpler and less damaging means. Convince his Legislature, the Board of the WMF, to pass a resolution for what he wants, and announce it. And if he can't get that, he will remain quiet, and various sycophants may try to please him by giving him what they think he wants, but, as far as I can tell, nobody has received private communications from the GodKing asking them to change what they are doing, or if they have, they are staying quiet about it. It's only been Mike.lifeguard, apparently acting without steward consensus.

And note that Steward Policy requires that decision be based on public discussion. Mike's been blatantly violating Steward Policy, and lots of people know it, but doing something about that takes both courage and patience. It should be easier, and eventually it will be easier, but ... doing something about that takes both courage and patience.
+Quote Post
Abd

Postmaster

QUOTE(JWSchmidt @ Mon 9th August 2010, 12:56pm) *
QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Sun 8th August 2010, 9:04pm) *
Not that JWSchmidt isn't fully capable of annoying the pants off of a person
When a sysop has no clothes it is really only a matter of holding up a mirror and showing that the pants were never there.
That is so rude. In the original story, it's a child who blurts out the truth. Had it been an adult, they would have tossed him in jail for lese majeste.

What JWS has been doing is much more than holding up a mirror. He's been putting up hundreds of tiny details about what one might see in the mirror, with hundreds of links, so many that I've later found that there was quite interesting stuff in there, but buried so that the significant stuff could easily be overlooked in the pile.

No, if you really want to set it up so people can see what's going on, you direct their attention to it, and that's a skill that takes quite a bit of practice. Doing it directly is lese majeste, or at least rude and maybe uncivil. But there are indirect means that are just as effective, or even more effective.

It will be easier to demonstrate than explain. Properly, it is done without the lese majeste part of it. Really, the goal if someone wasn't a child would be to get a private message to the King, that nobody else would see.

"Dear King. I took this photograph of you, enclosed, in your procession yesterday, and I must really have something wrong with myself, because it seems to me that you aren't wearing any clothes. Knowing that this could not possibly be true, I throw myself at your mercy and ask if you can recommend a good psychiatrist to help me with my hallucinations.

"Because I was so concerned about this, feeling I must be crazy, I privately asked a few people I trusted, concealing the parts of the photo that showed it was you, and they said, "That person isn't wearing any clothes!" As your loyal subject, I am perplexed about what to do with this.

"Without showing him the photo, I asked a friend to check out the background of that tailor who made your wonderful suit, and found that the same thing happened in FarOffLandia, a wonderful suit was made, and a terrible revolution there ensued.[ref]"

"Please, your Royal Majesty, help me, your loyal subject."

The letter would not be anonymous, because this is, in fact, a loyal subject and trusts the private judgment of the King. Even though he knows that his King can make mistakes.

And if the King punishes this subject, he fully deserves the coming revolution. But hardly a King would.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)