FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Xeno 2 - Wikipedia 0 -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Xeno 2 - Wikipedia 0
A Horse With No Name

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

Group: Regulars

Here he goes again: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Req...cratship/Xeno_2

I really hope Little Fuzzy Head makes it this time! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

Group: Contributors

Even though this may be a kiss of death, good luck Xeno. You were always a doll. : )
+Quote Post
ulsterman

Group: Inactive

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Fri 28th May 2010, 2:09pm) *

Here he goes again: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Req...cratship/Xeno_2

I really hope Little Fuzzy Head makes it this time! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

Looks very promising so far - 66/5/0. I'm sure most people here, whatever our differences, can agree on wishing him well. Oh dear, that will hole him below the water line!
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

Nice---he even gets a Pedro/Cirt pile-on and buttnozzle session.

Cirt is, himself, an editor who's shown questionable judgment and received various sanctions, and then returned under his now-current username as a reformed character. Issues a year in the past are exactly that: in the past. If they were recent issues I'd agree with Cirt, but as it is, I don't.—S Marshall T/C 21:21, 28 May 2010 (UTC)

@User:S Marshall, I had never received "various sanctions"; I had been blocked 3 years ago for edit-warring. The issue with Xeno is a possible responsibility of promoting others to administrator; past history of questionable promotions of users to WP:ROLLBACK is indeed relevant and merits examination. -- Cirt (talk) 21:30, 28 May 2010 (UTC)

S Marshall, whilst I appreciate you might view this as bad blood from me, given your recent RFA, I assure you it is not. Please do not poison the well with comments like Cirt is, himself, an editor who's shown questionable judgment . Pedro : Chat 21:32, 28 May 2010 (UTC)

Thank you, Pedro, much appreciated. -- Cirt (talk) 21:34, 28 May 2010 (UTC)

And damn both of you to hell.
+Quote Post
Killiondude

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Fri 28th May 2010, 2:55pm) *
Please do not poison the well with comments like Cirt is, himself, an editor who's shown questionable judgment . Pedro : Chat 21:32, 28 May 2010 (UTC)

Lawl.
+Quote Post
Malleus

Fat Cat

Member No.: 8,716

It's a nothing job anyway, so why not?
+Quote Post
CharlotteWebb

Postmaster General

QUOTE(Malleus @ Sat 29th May 2010, 1:16am) *

It's a nothing job anyway, so why not?

Yet for some reason it is also the most difficult to obtain, even though the level of abuse (both potential and actual) is lower than that of any other "advanced user-right".
+Quote Post
everyking

Postmaster

I pledge to vote for any RfB candidate who can convincingly explain why the project would benefit from the addition of another bureaucrat.

I don't anticipate that I'll ever have to honor that pledge.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(everyking @ Sat 29th May 2010, 5:28am) *

I pledge to vote for any RfB candidate who can convincingly explain why the project would benefit from the addition of another bureaucrat.

Why don't you go down to the auto mechanics' shop and show them what a real wreck looks like? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hrmph.gif)

QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Sat 29th May 2010, 1:15am) *

Yet for some reason it is also the most difficult to obtain, even though the level of abuse (both potential and actual) is lower than that of any other "advanced user-right".

Get a good seat, mama -- Julian Colton should be trying again pretty soon, and that should be a fun show. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

@User:S Marshall, I had never received "various sanctions"; I had been blocked 3 years ago for edit-warring. The issue with Xeno is a possible responsibility of promoting others to administrator; past history of questionable promotions of users to WP:ROLLBACK is indeed relevant and merits examination. -- Cirt (talk) 21:30, 28 May 2010 (UTC)

Wasn't Cirt (formerly Smee) "blocked" seven times before his Durova-approved reincarnation? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ermm.gif)
+Quote Post
ulsterman

QUOTE(everyking @ Sat 29th May 2010, 10:28am) *

I don't anticipate that I'll ever have to honor that pledge.

There are indeed plenty of bureaucrats, probably more than enough. Thus if you say "Why promote any admin taken at random?" I'd find it hard to disagree. But what if you can say "This admin is a really outstanding character, and if there were more admins like him, WP would be a better place"? Wouldn't giving such an admin more power and prestige serve to improve things, however slightly?
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Member No.: 3,670

QUOTE(ulsterman @ Sat 29th May 2010, 8:59am) *
But what if you can say "This admin is a really outstanding character, and if there were more admins like him, WP would be a better place"? Wouldn't giving such an admin more power and prestige serve to improve things, however slightly?

You are not doing such a person a favor. Rather you are sending him or her into the Lion's Den.

Anyone with high levels of personal integrity and ethics will soon become conflicted as they become increasingly aware of the rampant and systemic corruption within the Wikisphere. This creates an intractable dilemma. Either they turn a blind eye to it, or they confront it. If they confront it, they will quickly be drummed out of the site, leaving them chagrined at best and bitter at worst.

If you disbelieve me, ask the handful of people who stood up for ethics and integrity, and were drummed out of the system. I can supply you a few names if you don't already know who they are.
+Quote Post
RDH(Ghost In The Machine)

And the admins broke Piggy's glasses...

Member No.: 15,578

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Sat 29th May 2010, 12:00pm) *

Wasn't Cirt (formerly Smee) "blocked" seven times before his Durova-approved reincarnation? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ermm.gif)

Yep, at least seven times as Smee and even more as Smeegova
(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/angry.gif)
+Quote Post
Theanima

QUOTE(RDH(Ghost In The Machine) @ Sat 29th May 2010, 6:02pm) *

This is clearly utter rubbish, as can be seen here and here...
+Quote Post
CharlotteWebb

Postmaster General

QUOTE(Theanima @ Sat 29th May 2010, 5:44pm) *

well, if you spell it right three and four do make seven, so apparently horse was right [something about stopped clocks and traffic advisories].
+Quote Post
RDH(Ghost In The Machine)

And the admins broke Piggy's glasses...

Member No.: 15,578

QUOTE(RDH(Ghost In The Machine) @ Sat 29th May 2010, 6:02pm) *

Ok 3 as Smee. And speaking of rubbish that second link doesn't even come up.
Friend of Smee are we?
+Quote Post
ulsterman

QUOTE(Moulton @ Sat 29th May 2010, 2:31pm) *

Anyone with high levels of personal integrity and ethics will soon become conflicted as they become increasingly aware of the rampant and systemic corruption within the Wikisphere. This creates an intractable dilemma. Either they turn a blind eye to it, or they confront it. If they confront it, they will quickly be drummed out of the site, leaving them chagrined at best and bitter at worst.

You are of course right. But the higher someone's status, the more they can get away with fixing. Ask Lar and Jayvdb for example, neither of whom has been completely drummed out.
+Quote Post
Theanima

QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Sat 29th May 2010, 7:21pm) *

well, if you spell it right three and four do make seven, so apparently horse was right [something about stopped clocks and traffic advisories].

RDH spelled it wrong, not me.
+Quote Post
ulsterman

For those who can't bear to look at the RfB page, the score is now 94/7/1. Thus only seven opposers so far. As the seven include Spartaz and Cirt, I think we can take it that overwhelmingly the voice of sanity is pointing in one direction.

[102/7/1 at 21:46 GMT]

This post has been edited by ulsterman:
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(ulsterman @ Sun 30th May 2010, 5:51am) *

For those who can't bear to look at the RfB page, the score is now 94/7/1. Thus only seven opposers so far. As the seven include Spartaz and Cirt, I think we can take it that overwhelmingly the voice of sanity is pointing in one direction.

I just checked at 3:20pm EDT and the tally is 116/9/1 -- perennial sourpuss Wisdom89 joined the Oppose camp, and a bunch of people I never of (RexxS, AlphaQuadrant, wiooww, Trutheeper88, DollyD) showed up to lend their support.

It appears this is a shoo-in for our man. Which raises the obvious question: what's next for Xeno? Maybe a spot on Arbcom -- though he might be an odd-man-out there, considering he's not a plagiarist, a liar or grotesquely overweight. Or maybe a spot on the WMF Board? Either way, he seems to have a great future ahead of him! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Zoloft

May we all find solace in our dreams.

Member No.: 16,621

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Mon 31st May 2010, 7:23pm) *

QUOTE(ulsterman @ Sun 30th May 2010, 5:51am) *

I just checked at 3:20pm EDT and the tally is 116/9/1 -- perennial sourpuss Wisdom89 joined the Oppose camp, and a bunch of people I never of (RexxS, AlphaQuadrant, wiooww, Trutheeper88, DollyD) showed up to lend their support.

It appears this is a shoo-in for our man. Which raises the obvious question: what's next for Xeno? Maybe a spot on Arbcom -- though he might be an odd-man-out there, considering he's not a plagiarist, a liar or grotesquely overweight. Or maybe a spot on the WMF Board? Either way, he seems to have a great future ahead of him! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

I thought 'crat was just a few minor tasks like closing RfAs for which a certain level of trust was required? Is it really a springboard to glory? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif)

Anyway, Xeno's a guy who's done a lot of work, screwed up a couple of times and gone back to fix it, and seems to be less delusional than most, so I voted Aye.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)